PDA

View Full Version : Brawdy

MandatorV8
14-10-2008, 00:14
DEMOLITION AT BRAWDY

Anyone been on holiday to Pembrokeshire this year? Just looked at Brawdy, an old stamping ground, on Google Earth and I see that as well as the control tower, the three Mainhill hangars have gone as well as the old Navy-type hangar that was used as the Aircraft Paint Shop. Looks also like the two hangars that were in the MT yard have also gone, but a new structure has been built on or near the site. The Blister Hangar that was used as stores for the USN (if memory serves me correctly) is still there.

Anyone got any recent pics of the site (now occupied by the Army)? Anyone know the date the demolitions took place?

MandatorV8
17-10-2008, 21:26
MM: I think I have spotted what you mean. Is this tower the one that seems to sit just to the south of the tennis courts and the small row of married quarters opposite the Officers' Mess?

If so, it was not there in my time. I think that part of the camp is about the highest so it might be some form of communications device associated with the Army occupants. Seems to have quite a large building at its base, perhaps to house transmission equipment?

Let me know if that is what you have commented on.

Blackadder
03-07-2009, 16:58
Photo taken July 2008
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss276/anon240577/Brawdy-1.jpg

hunterxf382
04-08-2009, 13:41
Remarkable how it still looks active despite the years since it closed as an airfield....

I noticed on Google Maps recently that the 3 hangars (Hunter Rects) have gone now on the far side of the main pan - they had been left derelict for some time, which I think is a shame...

Don't suppose you got any other angles from overhead did you?

Pete B
Ex-Brawdy Airframe Tech 1979 - 1984

WJT
04-08-2009, 15:05
Hi XF382: In the old days the Mainhill hangars were No 1 Servicing Squadron, and the hangars were falling apart even then. We went to work one morning in approx Oct 1975 and found that overnight one of the reinforced glass 'skylights' in the roof of 9 Hangar (hangar number from memory) had failed and a huge shard of glass had fallen onto a SWTU Mk 9 parked below it. I have a very poor pic somewher of the shard of glass impaled in the starboard aileron, poking right through the top and bottom skins. Good jod it was not a liney's head, but I suppose that would have shattered the glass!

bvs
22-11-2009, 10:44
I was posted to Brawdy circa july '77 straight from a Hawk Airframe course at Dunsfold,I did 6 months on Hunter servicing before being drafted in to help set up the Hawk Flight Line operations,the RAF had recently recruited FLEM's (flight line mechanics) but needed a bit of experience to train em up.
We started Hawk ops using the VAS ? pan next to the tower,but fairly quickly moved over to the main apron as more a/c arrived.

I took this pic from Hawk XX261 on an unusually deserted main apron looking towards Hawk rectification flight hangar (11?),we were on our way to Biggin '79 as a 2 ship.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/Photo24_1.jpg

this is the best Brawdy pic I have ever seen,I cannot credit it - no idea who took it (photo copy of orig photo)
I had always thought it was taken from one of the lighting towers but apparently it was taken from a 'giraffe'.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/Hunter3.jpg

Richard Flagg
22-11-2009, 11:46
A couple of great photos, love the hunter shot.

I do prefer the Hawk in the two tone camoflage scheme though, much better than the black now, or even the red for that matter!!!

bvs
22-11-2009, 12:17
I put 2 more pics up but obviously had a 'senior moment' and they disappeared LOL
Sorry about the distortion on 3 of the pics,the originals were too big to scan-so had to take a pic with my little digi.
This pic is the 2nd best Brawdy pic I ever saw,probably an official shot

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/2003_1102Image0010.jpg

I hope you will forgive a gratuitous Hunter pic :D
Probably over Porthgain Harbour

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/2003_1027Image0006.jpg

bvs
22-11-2009, 13:07
At least this time it was me!!

I hope you meant wasn't Richard LOL

Norrie Potter took this pic circa '77 from one of the lighting towers.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/img037.jpg

EGDGZTCW
22-11-2009, 16:29
Excellent photo's !! I spent some time at Brawdy in 1988 when it took the MEDA from St Mawgan while the runway was resurfaced.

bvs
22-11-2009, 23:20
Yes please post some sometime Pete !
This pic was probably taken on the same sortie as above from Brawdy...not sure where I got this one again !!!
Always loved the sea colours

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/Hunter1.jpg

hunterxf382
24-11-2009, 00:23
Ok Baz - you convinced me to have a look on my Hard Drive tonight....

Just a few to start with.
The first is the 'other' angle on that infamous low pass down the flightline!
You can see how extremely low the approach was from this one.
I just love the pilot walking across the scene probably thinking "what the ****?"

The others are some of a stunning selection forwarded to me from someone lucky enough to be doing air-to-air with the Hunters over Brawdy ;)

hunterxf382
24-11-2009, 00:32
Ok - 3 more......lol

During my time tending to XF382 at it's retirement home in the Midland Air Museum, I have been lucky enough to have been given a lot of help with building up a big archive of Brawdy and Hunter photos, some of which end up on display around the aircraft as part of my little homage to all things Brawdy etc...

I received an entire set of 300+ negatives from someone who had toured Hunter Rects not long before I first arrived down there, and so far I only have 3 scanned versions to show you as I don't yet own the required neg. scanning equipment.

But the wait will be worth it judging by these three gems!

hunterxf382
26-11-2009, 01:30
Tower? Certainly.....

First one is Nimrod XV253 in typically Brawdy weather for us on VASF....

Second was a chance snap when I had seen this VC10 approaching and grabbed the camera.

Last one has a story behind it: I was brakeman whilst we were towing this Harrier into a hangar for the night from VASF. There were no outrigger ground locks fitted, thanks to the back seat groundcrew who forgot - we managed to get quite a way before it collapsed with a full fuel load and I had to jump clear as we thought it was going to go up in flames as we had dragged the wingtip until the tow tractor actually stopped.....
One board of enquiry later, and apart from a bit of a rollocking, we survived, and the aircraft flew back to Wittering a few days later with the gear locked down, and after the cockpit had dried out after it was left open in heavy rain..... oops!

hunterxf382
26-11-2009, 21:56
Winston - certainly did.... and as I worked on it whilst there, I followed it's adventures after RAF service too! I was reunited with it at Kemble when in private ownership too!

Some photos:

Typical scene on the VASF pan with Winston being prepped for it's next target towing sortie

VASF group shot to mark it's retirement :( I couldn't be there as I had been sent on detachment to Germany for a week just as it was due to leave on it's last ferry flight in October 1982 to RAF Leeming. I have a copy of Flt Lt "Puddy" Catt's flying log of that trip - marked " a sad day"...

My own trip to Kemble in May 1999 to see Winston's first airtest after rebuild. Stan Hodgkiss from Martin Baker flew Winston as I had never seen the old kite flown before - even 'blue noting' as he appeared overhead at full throttle..... nice!

Couldn't forget Winston's companion at Brawdy - our T7 "Clementine" which formerly belonged to the Vintage Pair team who took her back when Winston retired....

hunterxf382
26-11-2009, 22:10
Hunter shots.... and a few more atmospheric ones to show everyday life at one of the nicest places to be posted to :)

BBMF Hurricane swooping low past the tower with Winston and a resident Hunter on the VASF pam.

Brawdy Airday's gave the resident instructors the chance to show off....lol Just imagine the noise as they flew in from over the sea!

An unmarked Hunter sitting on VASF pan...

My Hunter (XF382) taxying in after another sortie...

XF382 on the flight line at Brawdy

mawganmad
27-11-2009, 10:49
Love the shot of the Hurricane flying low past the tower.
What was the tower design?, looks like a three storey Admiralty type - but not quite.

bvs
27-11-2009, 13:55
Lovely photos Pete...do you have a good quality print of the Hunter low pass?
Or alternatively its possibly better to put them in Photobucket etc (good winter project LOL) to post on here.On the key website you soon run out of attachment space if you do a direct attachment.Going through photobucket means you get a bigger picture and no limit on attachments.
Great to see Puddy Catt - I always assumed it was him who always did the fantastic 'blue note' when returning from TT sorties in the Meteor....much nicer than the Hunter blue note :shock: LOL

cheers baz

hunterxf382
27-11-2009, 15:36
Hi Baz - which low pass Hunter shot are you refering to? (there's a few on this thread..lol)

Puddy is still alive and well by the way - living not far from Haverfordwest and still moaning about the day the RAF took 'his' Meteor away from him. (he retired early in protest so he tells me)

I might agree with you about the Blue Note thing - I mean, I've heard plenty of Hunter ones they're almost commonplace, but a Meatbox one is much more stirring :)

More pics to post soon I think - just got to sort through a few folders on the Hard Drive

bvs
27-11-2009, 16:35
Hi Baz - which low pass Hunter shot are you refering to? (there's a few on this thread..lol)

The low pass along the flight line of course :lol:

rgds baz

hunterxf382
29-11-2009, 12:35
Funnily enough - I have just had contact on Facebook from Ivan Pennell - does that name ring any bells? He says he has a full size copy of one of the prints - so I'll see what I can do ;)

Meanwhile - back to the digging out of more pics myself here......lol

hunterxf382
29-11-2009, 12:39
After some hunting around on Youtube, I found this clip which should stir some memories of Winston doing a blue note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT3u4Q7NLFY

hunterxf382
29-11-2009, 21:13
Some more pics:

Nice B&W view over the flight line and showing the proximity of the coastline!

Our resident T-bird Meteor "Clementine" undergoing maintenance

Clementine sitting on the VASF pan after a rain shower

Infrequent visitor - a Dutch F16...

Regular visitor - a German C160 Transall which brought equipment for Castlemartin ranges

Hope to post more asap :)

hunterxf382
30-11-2009, 01:18
Few more:

German F104's were common enough back then - I will always remember taking photos on another cold and wet VASF pan as a visiting crew loaded up, strapped in and departed as per usual. Then there was a strange noise followed by a scramble of 202's Seaking chopper to collect the rather sodden F104 pilot from St Brides Bay! It's a well documented bang-out from one of these rather unreliable engined aircraft - I have some poor quality pictures up in the loft of the last ever sortie of that aircraft....

Hunter "X" parked up presumably for airshow display with another typical German Transall behind.

Hunter XG252

Hunter XG264

A visiting Jaguar parked up on VASF, presumably for yet another Airshow judging by the positioning.

hunterxf382
30-11-2009, 01:24
More?

Go on then.....

Resident JP Mk4 in our unique cammo scheme - superb look that I think suits them.

A group shot presumably taken by the Station Photographer to mark the handover of the squadron judging by the posing at the front?

I remember seeing the unique fin paint schemes when I arrived there, but I'm sure they didn't last long (79 I got there?)

Last but not least for now: Brawdy's hommage to a popular TV series gave us the unique "Summer Wine" formations at the annual air days! Hawk, Hunter, 2 x Meteors, and JP made up the routine each year. This shot was taken from Clementine who's wingtip is just visible.

mawganmad
30-11-2009, 10:15
Excellent pics yet again HunterXF!
Love the JP in camo (hate in anything else!), and who would have believed a flight of Hawk, Hunter and Meteors - as part of a service formation?!
I mentioned that the Brawdy (& Chivener) Hunters seemed special, I'm now wondering is it because they kept that camo style.
What was the JP specifically used for, I'm thinking staion runabout or hack?
Interesting to see the old AEC refueller in yellow aswel.
Please keep them coming.

hunterxf382
30-11-2009, 12:02
Our JP's were special.... the fleet of 4 were based at Brawdy tasked with providing experience for ground-based forward controllers (those that direct incoming air attacks) so they could actually see what it was like from the aircrew perspective. JFACTSU was the unit responsible, and the aircraft were flown by various instructors from the shadow squadrons at Brawdy. 3 of the fleet were in cammo (03, 04, 06), but 05 arrived in traditional red & white, and they remained in these colours until the late 80's / early 90's when they received the low viz light grey just as the Hawks got :(
All four aircraft were Mk4 JP's too - (pocket rockets prior to the Mk5...lol)

Bit of a story behind one of them. The original 04 had a mishap one day when it ditched in a reservoir after loss of throttle control. Pilot and student ejected ok. Investigations showed that the students throttle had been cross-linked during servicing, so throttle open actually closed it! The pilot had a souvenir given to him on his departure from Brawdy - the original throttle lever (recovered from the wreckage) mounted on a presentation plaque :) and he still has it to this day...lol
A new JP was sprayed up and given the 04 tail code - I have pics of both to follow soon..

llandeloyking
12-12-2009, 23:47
Hi, i live in llandeloy (on the end of the main runway).the tower people have asked about is a water tower and communications tower(ntl if i remember rightly).
The 3 old hunter hangers that used to run alongside the small road were demolished in summer 2006 along with all the small builings surrounding them.The other 3 which were at a 90 degree angle to them on the end of the small old disused runway were demolished about 5 months ago-although they still appear on google maps.the far end building joined to the last hanger is still there though.Quite a few other builidings were taken down within the main camp last year aswell including my old scout hut:(
control tower was pulled doen in 96
Some great pics posted on by the way.Can anyone tell me what the long rectangular shaped thing is right inside the fence,opposite where the last hanger used to be?last time i saw it it was full of water!theres also what appears to be a similar one further out on the airfield?

WJT
13-12-2009, 00:11
Hello Llandeloyking. Welcome to AiX and many thanks for the details of the hangar demolitions at Brawdy. It sounds like the Army has adopted a scorched earth policy and is getting rid of all the airfield buildings. Please keep us up to date on progress.

By the way, I seem to remember one of our Hunters (a T7 being flown solo I think) coming to grief just off the end of the runway in Llandeloy after its engine failed just after lift-off. The pilot ejected OK. We choppered the fuselage centre section out, complete with engine, under a Navy Sea King.

hunterxf382
14-12-2009, 08:23
Welcome Llandeloyking,

I'm curious about the building you ask about? Which one again - perhaps identify it on a pic - as I'm not sure which you mean...

Shame about the other hangars - those latest three to go were where I started at Brawdy (Hawk Rects)..... moving onto Hunters in the three that went some time back.... They must have been in a bad way to need demolition :(

It's funny seeing Brawdy on Youtube these days - being used as a Motorsport track around the old airfield site... (Funny because we used to drive our favourite Lightweight Landrover around the same areas in a similar fashion when no-one was looking...lol)

I will get round to posting more pics soon - just been sorting laptop out at home which threw a hissy fit.... ;)

PETERTHEEATER
14-12-2009, 08:30
I think he means this:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.869913&lon=-5.129922&z=18.3&r=0&src=msl

or this:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.892257&lon=-5.126344&z=19.7&r=0&src=msl

or even this:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.891041&lon=-5.124662&z=18.7&r=0&src=msl

WJT
14-12-2009, 09:03
Surface water interceptors to trap fuel and oil spills from the pavement areas.

bvs
16-12-2009, 23:18
Hmmm...I remember a FLEM (flight line mech) driving a landrover with a complete shift of FLEMS onboard into the sunken concrete water installation just behind the Hawk recs hangar :lol:(in the dark) ....but he wasnt racing or showing off :roll:

EGDGZTCW
23-02-2010, 01:23
I believe it's an army signals unit that "lives" there now. I drove up to the main gate three years ago, for old times sake whilst on a visit to the area, and there were what looked like MOD Police on the gate. So I guess it's still in Military hands.

ww2nut
23-02-2010, 15:53
gutted, i am going to the area on thursday with the caravan and wanted a walk around one of the airfields up there with my son, haverfordwest is live, brawdy is Army what about talpenny or whatever the other one in that area is called??? help

hunterxf382
24-02-2010, 19:53
Belated update from my previous posts with photos of the aircraft during the period I served there.... I promised shots of all our JP's, and here they are. Note the two marked 04, old and new versions as per the tale I mentioned before about losing the first one...

I have also been on a photographic trip down memory lane after being sent a DVD of HQ scans from a visit to the base back in the 80's by a photographer... I'll post some of the best asap, just got to finish shrinking them down a bit....lol

hunterxf382
24-02-2010, 20:20
A small selection of the shots taken by a photographer who sent me a DVD full of examples like this..... truely amazing clarity considering they are scans from the originals. I was bowled over and took a rather emotional step back in time when browsing these....

The first one is just one of a rather special set of my own XF382..... nice!
Enjoy!

hunterxf382
24-02-2010, 20:22
More of the same....

hunterxf382
24-02-2010, 20:23
Hope these bring back fond memories of a great place at the time...

hunterxf382
01-03-2010, 23:22
As promised, a small selection of Brawdy's Hawks...

Tried to find some that show some of the background scenes - there are loads overall but not all taken at Brawdy ;)

PETERTHEEATER
03-03-2010, 08:58
I prefer the desert camo:

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l366/PRACHUAP/RSAFHawk.jpg

Peter Kirk
03-03-2010, 21:55
Desert camo for me is Hurricanes, P-40s and Marylands (I had models of them)

Isn't camouflage (as opposed to visibility) irrelevant now?

bigtam121
29-03-2010, 12:05
Hi All

Trying to model Brawdy for my flightsim and was wondering where the old control tower used to be. Know from doing some research its already been demolished but any pix ave found are in closeup and you can see any other buildings to get a reference point. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Stevo
30-03-2010, 03:11
HI

The Control Tower at Brawdy seems to have been located here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brawdy&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=16.785206,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Brawdy,+Haverfordwest,+Dyfed,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.880832,-5.124317&spn=0.001068,0.003433&t=h&z=19) on the grass area behind the building (firestation?) you can also see the path which used to wind it way around the control tower which in the above link seems to go nowhere. The concrete square at the top of the google link looks to be the remains of the signals square.

In this picture, the building behind the Alphajets Tail is the same building (firestation?) in the Google link above, http://www.vaq136.com/brawdy/brawdy-241b.jpg

Stevo ;)
www.airfieldconstructiongroup.org (http://www.airfieldconstructiongroup.org)

Carnaby
30-03-2010, 10:10
The Control Tower at Brawdy...
Different detail (era?) in Bing (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=51.88073627747947%7E-5.124293267726898&lvl=19&sty=h)

Need to zoom in as Bing's links don't work as well as they used to. Good old Microsoft. :roll:

Graham

hunterxf382
30-03-2010, 10:25
Have you seen the series of pics I've been posting on this thread (post #27 onwards) - the Tower is clearly visible in some of them, with the adjacent Fire Section also shown. The Google Map link is spot on for the location, which was right across our VASF pan...

There is an earlier shot from me (B&W of a low pass by a Hurricane) which shows how the Tower looked before the Fire Section was built too...

ianbache
04-04-2010, 21:28
Hi all
A blast from the past, Brawdy fire section 1983

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/LLanbedr/BRAWDY-1983.jpg

hunterxf382
04-04-2010, 22:06
it's just dawned on me, after realising there are so many photos on the net of Brawdy.... that if anyone uses Facebook, I already have a Brawdy group running on there:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=39444735027 which has a good collection of photos too?

There are some never before seen shots of the demolition on the old Hunter Hangars - as well as many more worth seeing...

Airtrooper
15-04-2011, 17:47
Can anyone confirm Brawdy's control tower during its use by the Navy and RAF (i.e. cold war era) was based on a 13726/41 "core". I got 13726/41 from page 82 of Control Towers by Paul Francis, but I just want to find out if this was by chance demolished and a later tower built to a different design, or whether it was simply modified?

mawganmad
15-04-2011, 18:25
Again my leanings from photographs are the same as what I think for Lossie's example, Admiralty type with 2548c/55 VCR (VCP in Navy!), if this is correct then it would be completely new build. Perhaps the old tower was near it or maybe adjoining it at one stage.

strike & return
02-05-2011, 20:32
Yep, the picture posted by BVS is Porthgain!

In the mid to late 1970s I was a police officer in Haverfordwest and often found myself patrolling the married quarters estates in the town. As a result I got to know quite a few of the guys from the base and frequently got invited out there. Even got treated to a "sortie" in the Hunter flight sim on one occasion, which convinced me that I had made the right career move by NOT training as a fighter pilot!

Sadly I also recall the number of Hunter losses that the base incurred in this period including one that could have resulted in civilian casualties when a Hunter came down on the edge of Letterston.

Steve

Airtrooper
15-05-2011, 11:02
I just got my hands on Airfield Review No. 96 (Oct 2002). As part of Barry Abraham's Fleet Air Arm Bases II - 1939 to date on page 106 he lists Brawdy's CT as "Watch Office for Bomber Satellite or OTU Stations 13726/41 with extensions".

Carnaby
17-05-2011, 10:12
Record Site Plan 4671 (1945) simply states 13726/41.

Smoggieboy
26-05-2011, 18:05
Found this while digging out a few old slides, pity the Frecce got in the way of the tower !!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/SCARECROW450/144729.jpg

Taken at the airshow July 1990

ianbache
08-08-2011, 21:08
Heres a image of the tower in the background with XP 547, Provost in the for ground with No 1 TWU not sure of the year though between 1978-1990 ?

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/LLanbedr/percival_jet_provost_t_4_xp547-03.jpg

hunterxf382
23-10-2011, 22:41
Just a quick update on this thread, and REF's last message in particular.... with some promising news!
One of our old Brawdy JP's (XP547 - our old "03") is currently airworthy out in Puerto Rico registered as N547XP and the owner's current plans are to repaint it back into cammo colours once more! I'm in touch with him via facebook regularly, so hope to be able to post a shot of the scheme once completed :-D

Plummer
17-01-2012, 19:44
hunterfx382 - I am amazed. I believe the young man in the first photo is me! Looks like I'm fitting the canopy jett just prior to fitting the seat. I think the guy on the wing (id from his knitted hat) is Charlie ??(can't remember his surname). I was posted to Brawdy, then the TWU, in 77 and worked on the line and arm rects before moving on to the seat bay in 80 before leaving in late 82 (I used to give the 6 monthly seat leactures along with a few others). Always tried to get back but never managed it - Brawdy the best kept secret in the RAF. Can you send me a better copy of the photo?

I am also on the hunt for the TWU crest that was painted on all our aircraft - no one seems to have a copy, not even the Historical Branch as it seems the crest was never official.

Regards

Gary Smith

Plummer
17-01-2012, 20:07
Hmmm...I remember a FLEM (flight line mech) driving a landrover with a complete shift of FLEMS onboard into the sunken concrete water installation just behind the Hawk recs hangar :lol:(in the dark) ....but he wasnt racing or showing off :roll:

I also remember this incident, happened when they took a shortcut from the Mess across the grass behind 11 Shed on earlys. No one badly hurt - just pride. I was walking across the dispersal to 8 shed when it happened.

hunterxf382
18-01-2012, 02:22
hunterfx382 - I am amazed. I believe the young man in the first photo is me! Looks like I'm fitting the canopy jett just prior to fitting the seat. I think the guy on the wing (id from his knitted hat) is Charlie ??(can't remember his surname). I was posted to Brawdy, then the TWU, in 77 and worked on the line and arm rects before moving on to the seat bay in 80 before leaving in late 82 (I used to give the 6 monthly seat leactures along with a few others). Always tried to get back but never managed it - Brawdy the best kept secret in the RAF. Can you send me a better copy of the photo?
I am also on the hunt for the TWU crest that was painted on all our aircraft - no one seems to have a copy, not even the Historical Branch as it seems the crest was never official.
Regards
Gary Smith

Hi Gary,

If you pm me with your email address I will gladly send you the original I have of that shot if it's bigger... and I also have a B&W copy of the 1 TWU badge too actually ;)

Funnily enough I also have the full set of metal stencils used to apply the badge on the nose of the fleet at Brawdy.... amazing what turns up eh?

Pete Buckingham

PAG
30-09-2012, 22:38
What great thread, some amazing photo's of the glory days of Brawdy.
A google image search produced loads of good Brawdy photographs
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=RAF+Brawdy&hl=en&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB454GB454&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=urxoUND8O4TX0QX2lIGQCA&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=505

Can anyone shed any light on what this book contains?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAF-Brawdy-Jesse-Russell/dp/5511797944/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349040951&sr=8-1

The Amazon listing does not really explain a lot?

PAG

PAG
30-09-2012, 22:55
Another great Brawdy airshow thread on this link-
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=37224

PAG

NJR
07-12-2012, 20:25
Had a letter requesting the ID of the airfield in the image below the scan of the letter. I can email the full size image if anyone wants a closer look,

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/ryan7480_bucket/unknown001.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/ryan7480_bucket/unknown-1.jpg

Richard Flagg
07-12-2012, 20:32
Thats Brawdy in Wales

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.882182&lon=-5.131293&z=15.9&r=0&src=msl

WJT
07-12-2012, 20:35
Spot on.

Edit:

I should add in response to some of Jim's commentys that Brawdy was all military. The hangars with roof lights are Mainhill and the big one is part of a clutch of three T2s. As for a date - 1980 or so?

There are people her who will know if this correspondence is transferred to the Brawdy thread.

NJR
07-12-2012, 20:36
Thanks guys, excellent service!!

mawganmad
07-12-2012, 23:10
Unmistakably RAF Brawdy, military then and still is under Army custodianship.
Considering it was Royal Navy (HMS Goldcrest) it's been run by all three services in its time.

View from the deck, pic by good friend 'H'
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8172/8044017664_1976f9394d_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79657874@N05/8044017664/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79657874@N05/8044017664/) by H Meister (http://www.flickr.com/people/79657874@N05/), on Flickr

Mike L
09-12-2012, 23:51
A mate of mine was stationed at Brawdy with an army Signals Regt. Apparently the hangars were suffering a bit while he was there and needed frequent repairs.
Some rumours on ARRSE about the Regiment moving out, but that talk has been going on for ages apparently.

WJT
11-02-2013, 01:33
Here's a question or two for the sleuths:

First: At some stage the runway 02/20 was extended from its original length to include two V-bomber dispersals at the 20 threshold. Anyone got a date for that activity? By the way, the runway was originally 03/21.

Second: At some stage (in the early 1980s?) a total of nine 'frying pan' dispersals were laid at the north of the airfield, as can be seen on Google earth today. These 'frying pans' were in fact the front aprons for a series of nine HAS that were expected to be built. Anyone got a date for this construction work?

Looking at the Google earth pics, a straight edge can be seen on part of these dispersals, which might allow a punt at the orientation of each proposed HAS. Shadows cast by scrub at the edge of the dispersals does make this exercise not quite straightforward.

corij
11-02-2013, 08:02
in 1983 i remember meeting in Ipswich an Welsh airman stationed at Bawdsey,Suffolk. he had put in a request to be sent to Brawdy which was right next to where his home town was, but had been sent to Bawdsey instead which he had never heard of

br9mp81
05-03-2013, 16:55
army to pull out by/in 2015,site up for sale by the sounds of it.

hunterxf382
05-03-2013, 17:18
Not meant to sound dismissive etc, do you have a source for that please (ideally a link?) - gutted if it goes altogether :(

netcompsys
05-03-2013, 17:25
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21672681

and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21665240

kevin

hunterxf382
05-03-2013, 17:47
Oh dear :( Funnily enough I just spotted the same on my Brawdy facebook group as I browsed after posting.... horrible news about a place dear to me - so many fond memories...

WJT
05-03-2013, 17:59
We were being softened up for this in the overnight reports and on the the radio. Not a surprise.

hunterxf382
12-12-2013, 00:30
Rather a sad update to post on this running thread for Brawdy....

One of the more infamous faces of Brawdy - Flt Lt Douglas "Puddy" Catt passed away on Saturday December 7th after a short illness. I have spent this week in contact with his neighbour / landlord who found him, and who is arranging the funeral which is taking place Monday 16th at Narbeth Crematorium near were he lived...
I am attending as requested by his executor, and have been busy informing anyone I could think of who knew him (which seems to amount to just about everyone in the RAF over recent decades).

I had been keeping in touch with Puddy all the time, sharing updates on his beloved Meteor "Winston" which still flies to this day out in Australia.

I hadn't exactly planned on my return to the Brawdy area being under these circumstances - it will be a sad journey to make but there are many who are planning to give him a good send off....

If anyone wishes for more information - please PM me by all means.

Welbeckestategroup
25-05-2014, 11:58
The Welbeck Estate Group company First State Holdings in September 1988 acquired from Defence Estates 42 flats in several block of flats being the first part of the release of the junior ranks NCO married quarters on the St Davids Road Estate Haverfordwest. These were utilised
by RAF families based primarily at RAF BRAWDY as well as aircrew using Haverfordwest. Following upgrading the showflat was officially opened by Miss Wales and the deputy Mayor of Haverfordwest on 4th November 1998 and they were sold to the public and a number bought by former RAF personnel. John Francis Estate Agents handled the sales.
The Welbeck Estate Group have, since 1979 acquired 36 former MOD sites, airfields and married quarter estates.
Others include in late 1980s Welbeck acquired 60 former ratings married quarters being contained in several three storey blocks of flats in Lyster Close and Hermes Place in Yeovilton which provided housing for nearby HMS Heron. The flats were civilianised, modernised and sold by their agents Palmer Snell of Yeovil. At the time they also purchased the former HMS Heron De Havilland Sea Devon XK896 (G-RNAS) to join their former Queens Flight RAF Devon VP961 (G-HBBC) operating out of Compton Abbas near Shafsbury. Other former Royal Navy former MQs acquired from Defence Estates included the purchase and refurbishment of the naval ratings married quarters comprising 36 flats within six blocks known as Hinkley, Odgers, Mitchell, Shepherd, Pride, Sullivan Westcliff on Portland between November 1986 and March 1988. This housing was used by ratings from RNAS PORTLAND Dorset. In the mid 1980s they acquired by public auction 110 purpose built blocks of flats which were married ratings quarters in Walderslade, Kent and were part of the Royal Navy base CHATHAM. Welbeck acquired the entire pre war married quarter estate at RAF HALTON. They had been vacated by the RAF and were upgraded and sold to the general public and many were purchased by current and former RAF personnel. also later on in the mid 1990s the entire technical and domestic site at RAF SCULTHORPE was sold to The Welbeck Estate Group by Defence Estates. The domestic married quarter site comprised a sizeable number of single storey 'tobacco houses' that had been occupied by USAF personnel and their families Following civilianisation the housing estate was renamed 'Wicken Village' and following refurbishment the houses were sold. The remaining technical site including single personnel barrack blocks, PX, church, guardroom, gymnasium, community centres and extensive storage and industrial units were sold to a single purchaser. Also nearby in 2006 the Welbeck Estate Group acquired the entire technical and domestic site and the Officers and NCO married quarter estates at RAF WEST RAYNHAM which was sold in it's entirety in 2008 to a local Norfolk businessman. In the mid 1980s the Welbeck company, First State Holdings acquired the entire former Warrant Officer and NCO married quarter estate for RAF MIDDLETON ST GEORGE at Oak Tree on the A67. The houses were upgraded and sold to the public and a large number were bought by former RAF personnel. Since 1979 the Welbeck Estate Group have acquired 36 former RAF airfields and MQ sites throughout England Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland. Some of the others include all the pre war MQs at RAF CRANWELL which they renamed 'The Chestnuts' Also in Lincolnshire in March 1992 The Welbeck Estate Group with Wessex and Cambrian Estates purchased the entire airfield, technical and domestic site plus the post war NCO MQs at RAF NORTH COATES. Over the ensuing 5 years firstly the Officer and NCO housing was sold to the public by their agents Bacons of Grimsby. The individual building hangars were civilianised before sold to a multitude of users. North Coates Flying Club was established on the former airfield and the rest of the land was sold and returned to agricultural use. Also Welbeck Estate Group acquired in 1997 the former post war NCO married quarter estate at RAF SCAMPTON from Annington Homes who had purchased them from the MOD in 1996. Nearby one of the Welbeck Estate Group companies First State Holdings acquired the entire estate of 140 post war NCO married quarters at RAF FALDINGWORTH Toft Newton from Defence Estates. As the company were also developing housing at that time opposite The Pentagon in Virginia Washington USA they renamed the FALDINGWORTH MQ estate the 'Virginia Estate' and all the roads were renamed after locations around Washington such as Washington Drive, Prince William Road, Fairfax Road. Copying the American housing concept they created an outdoor swimming pool and community centre which was pioneering in the early 1980s and ownership passed to individual buyers of the houses. The houses were upgraded and sold through the Lincoln agents William H Brown Nearby to FALDINGWORTH Welbeck also purchased the entire technical and domestic site at RAF HEMSWELL in June 1985 and shortly afterwards an estate of post war NCO post war married quarters were acquired. They were bought from the Defence Estates agents Drewery and Wheeldon of Gainsborough. The following year all the individual former RAF buildings were offered for sale by auction by the auctioneers Earl and Lawrence and the auction was conducted and Caenby Corner Estate was created. In the mid 1990s Welbeck acquired the former Strike/Bomber Command HQ at RAF BAWTRY and also in the late 1990s the post war married quarter estate at RAF FINNINGLEY. In March 1987 saw their purchase of the pre and post war NCO MQ estate at Siskin Crescent Carlton Park at RAF MANBY. For the past 35 years Welbeck have specialised in the acquisition of former military establishments and MQ sites and recently completed an estate of 66 post war officers houses at Shackleton Barracks RAF BALLYKELLY Northern Ireland. Visit the site at: http://welbeckestate.com/ looking under 'Management Profile and Projects' also 'Aviation'

netcompsys
25-05-2014, 12:10
Please Admins - no more!

kevin

Chilly
25-05-2014, 22:01
Agreed... Nothing more than a spammer.

Alex Brown
25-05-2014, 23:28
Fair points... Some of the earlier posts were more concise and interesting, but the one above in particular has the feel of "Corporate Cut'n'Paste" about it...

Welbeckestategroup
26-05-2014, 08:55
We genuinely thought it may interest members at some of the sites we have been involved over the past 35 years.
Our CEO being the son of an RAF aircrew Master Navigator with 40 years service with Bomber/Strike Command and Metropolitan Communications Squadron. lived in many of the Warrant Officer MQs himself from the late 1940s to the 1960s. He is acutely aware of life on the patch and has made an effort wherever it has been practical to retain and restore former military establishments and MQs. It has been a genuine passion and dedication and not 'money driven' We attached a general synopsis on our other sites as a link as members may have served or have interests in other locations

Chilly
26-05-2014, 09:35
the one above in particular has the feel of "Corporate Cut'n'Paste" about it...

As does the latest offering which has been posted to multiple threads.

Alex Brown
26-05-2014, 10:02
When I'm not on iPhone I will have a prune.

Welbeckestategroup
26-05-2014, 10:19
Absolutely nothing corporate - far from reality. Just a genuine and sincere interest in former MOD sites particularly ex RAF. We have genuinely helped in the preservation of former military buildings and housing. If Annington Homes (Nomura Bank) had not been approved by Michael Portillo, the then Defence Minister, in their bid in 1996 for the entire England and Wales Married Quarter Estate our Group which is 100% British owned and controlled as their immediate under bidders would have taken over the estate and run by dedicated personnel.

Alex Brown
26-05-2014, 21:24
Absolutely nothing corporate - far from reality. Just a genuine and sincere interest in former MOD sites particularly ex RAF. We have genuinely helped in the preservation of former military buildings and housing. If Annington Homes (Nomura Bank) had not been approved by Michael Portillo, the then Defence Minister, in their bid in 1996 for the entire England and Wales Married Quarter Estate our Group which is 100% British owned and controlled as their immediate under bidders would have taken over the estate and run by dedicated personnel.

I'm puzzled as to why your location is Norway though, I assumed you were a paid marketing company or something similar.

Welbeckestategroup
27-05-2014, 05:57
I'm puzzled as to why your location is Norway though, I assumed you were a paid marketing company or something similar.

We are located in Moray Scotland, Lincolnshire England and Agder Norway. We are a 100% British company and invest direct in all our sites and are not a marketing company. In the late 1970s when the Government announced there were too many vacant MQ estates the first released by the PSA were at Pilgrim Square RAF Coningsby and were bought by the Bradford Property. The second MQ estate was nearby at RAF Faldingworth that Welbeck bought in 1979. Trust this assists.

Richard Flagg
27-05-2014, 08:26
As does the latest offering which has been posted to multiple threads.

Agreed, it all looks the same and it is seemingly spamming the forum, it'll go on the list to deal with when I'm back on a desktop PC, can't really moderate from a tablet.

Why every post says the same thing is beyond me, if it's relevant to the thread then it stays, if not bin it.

Welbeckestategroup
03-06-2014, 10:21
16725We were asked for info on sites we have owned. This is an article that appeared in The Western Telegraph on the 16th December 1988 regarding the opening of the former RAF MQs for RAF Brawdy.

Limpingstik
03-08-2014, 20:41
Hi group

First post by a new ARGer.Gareth Symington,Liverpool

I am after information(photo hopefully) re Hunter XG264 mid 80s.
Ground Instructional Airframe 8715M by `82 possibly with a Battle Damage Repair unit.
I understand that this aircraft remained at Brawdy until delivery to the Otterburn range c1987

Anything regarding condition and location(inside/outside?) would be greatly appreciated.

Another Number
04-08-2014, 07:19
Photos of XG264 on these two links;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/8719221165/

And

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1153117/

Welcome to AiX too

A N

hunterxf382
04-08-2014, 13:07
Welcome to the forum from me too - an ex Brawdy Hunter man myself...

XG264 did not survive from it's time at Otterburn - this link should take you to a photo of the mortal remains which were shovelled off after it had been totally destroyed on the range: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21006-Otterburn-range-wrecks/page8

In better days, at Brawdy as 'T': http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19868

Limpingstik
06-08-2014, 22:59
Thanks very much for the info and photos

GarethS

Khormaksarboy
29-08-2014, 16:25
Having followed Welbeck Estate Group's involvement with ex MOD sites including airfields and married quarter estates. I was impressed enough to buy a Warrant Officer's house on one of their first releases in 1982 at RAF Faldinworth and I have since bought on three more of their developments over the past 30 years. I see they acquired multiple blocks of flats from the MOD on the St Davids Estate Haverfordwest which served as MQs for personnel and families from nearby RAF Brawdy.

I hope they keep up the good work as they do a better job than Annington Homes and are keen on preservation rather that demolition.

tosh60
05-11-2014, 14:31
I also remember this incident, happened when they took a shortcut from the Mess across the grass behind 11 Shed on earlys. No one badly hurt - just pride. I was walking across the dispersal to 8 shed when it happened.
The driver wasn't a flem, I was an lac airframe mech with hunter rectification flight, never lived it down

tosh60
05-11-2014, 15:47
Oh dear :( Funnily enough I just spotted the same on my Brawdy facebook group as I browsed after posting.... horrible news about a place dear to me - so many fond memories...

I decided to go to Brawdy last year as a nostaligia trip to show my wife where I was stationed. Not knowing that the base had been closed and turned into what seemed to be a business park was gut wrenching, what I saw almost made me weep. I have so many fond memories of the place

WJT
05-11-2014, 17:30
Just so I've got this right - has the Army already gone and the place been sold? I thought from posts on the St Athan thread that it would be next year before the Army moved. Perhaps I'm a year out!

tosh60
05-11-2014, 21:08
There certainly didn't seem to be any military on the base, the main gate had gone and it was a straight forward drive in

WJT
05-11-2014, 23:39
Hi Tosh. Thanks for that update. I don't recall seeing anything about the formal departure of the Army - so how did we miss it?

netcompsys
06-11-2014, 00:23
The BBC reprted this in 2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21672681

An Army base in Pembrokeshire is to close with 600 troops transferred to another site in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond announced that 14th Signal Regiment would move from its base at Cawdor - formerly Brawdy - barracks, near St David's, to St Athan after 2018.

kevin

WJT
06-11-2014, 14:03
Hi Kevin: That was my thinking - after 2018. looks like they changed the plan.