PDA

View Full Version : Orston Camp

NJR
28-10-2008, 20:24
Fuel depot near RAF Bottesford

Whilst looking for the remains of RAF Orston CDP, Stevie and myself came across what we initially thought was a dispersed site for the airfield, at this location:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.948632&lon=-0.821194&z=18.3&r=0&src=msl

We took a few pictures and got talking to the owner of the skip firm which is on the site. He informed us that it was a fuel supply facility but other than that knew little more about it about it. He did say that it covered a large area. Anyone have any further information on this?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/ryan7480_bucket/Mon27thOct210.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/ryan7480_bucket/Mon27thOct216.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/ryan7480_bucket/Mon27thOct217.jpg

NJR

Ossington_2008
29-10-2008, 21:39
You mean this place? Apr 45.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo322/Ossington_2008/FuelDepotnrBottesford4-45.jpg
I, like you, was exploring Orston and wondered about that row of Nissens (now a piggery) just a little too far away from the landing ground to be certain was RAF/PAF. Huge innit? And I don't think this is half of it! According to locals, the Poles didn't care for guarding the airfield out of hours, and would do their utmost not to have a sick plane overnight. Consequently the blister hangars there were underused and loaned to the army for storage around and after D-day. This depot has an obvious rail connection and I'm sure was pipeline linked to Redmile depot nearby and in turn, linked to Misterton to the north. Very little has been published about fuel depots during WW2 and since, the government seems to pretend they don't exist somehow. I must admit, I am nosey! I know this site is in Leicestershire (just) and my anorak subject is Nottinghamshire but I couldn't resist this print.
BTW, Orston A/F is about 3-4 fields to the left, out of the picture and north of Orston Lane. If anyone knows more, please share it!

CDP
29-10-2008, 21:43
This is irritating - if it was USAAF (as the current site owner stated), it certainly isn't in Barry Anderson's summary and that's pretty comprehensive - Leicestershire OR Nottinghamshire. Could have been an omission, I suppose. He also stated there were a number of subterranean sidings and (on the south side) static water tanks, which still show up as crop marks today just before harvest time. He was saying it supplied nearby RAF Borresford. My thought was, if it was as big as he said, was it a huge, bulk fuel depot throughout the war, built after the US arrived or a stirage area just prior to Overlord?

I assume, since Poles are mentioned, then it wasn't American (you posted as I was replying Ossie - hence the rushed edit!). Whatever it actually was, there's not a lot left now!

Chris

NJR
29-10-2008, 21:46
Cheers Ossington, that's fantastic.

P Bellamy
29-10-2008, 23:02
Great photo.

It looks like the site extends towards the other camp buildings that until a year ago were beside Longhedge Lane.
My dad grew up in Redmile and Bottesford during WWII, but until last week didn't know a thing about RAF Orston. ;)

PB

Paul Francis
30-10-2008, 09:58
If this was RAF it will be in the Audits, but I am thinking it aint (RAF)

NJR
30-10-2008, 20:09
Checked audits before posting, nothing. Was a suggestion that it was USAAF but why the Poles?

P Bellamy
30-10-2008, 20:53
I saw a reference today to Orston Lane Camp being an RASC Stores Depot, the Defence of Britain/SMR entry for it being a "Fuel Depot" seems to refer to the mushroom farm on the southern edge of Orston airfield.

All the best,
PB

NJR
30-10-2008, 21:51
Forgive my ignorance but what's RASC stand for? No doubt something blindingly obvious!

kebecker
30-10-2008, 21:55
Run away someones comming

or Royal Army Service Corps

NJR
30-10-2008, 22:14
That may be significant, the guy we were talking to made reference to his Dad who told him that it was manned by soldiers.

Ossington_2008
30-10-2008, 22:33
I didn't say it was Polish. Orston was a wholly Polish run RLG for its entire service life-16PFTS. (Most RLGs were shunted from unit to unit as their parent station changed roles) The depot was army, not RAF but used the blisters as an overspill because they were close by and otherwise underused/redundant.

CDP
04-11-2008, 12:02
Cheers for clearing that one up Ossington - read your post too quickly.

Chris

kebecker
08-11-2008, 19:09
From ADS site: Orston Camp, Petrol Reserve Depot;NA reference WO 163/352

Brummie Clayton
03-11-2010, 22:00
Correct sir it was RASC, by chance I happened upon this Thread and found myself looking at huts I probably slept in back in 1952, I was an 18yr old Nat Serviceman in the RASC and was posted there after basic training, I was a Petroleum Fitter but only recall memories of vast spaces with Jerry cans etc bored to death most of the time - high point was the Deisel engine that we chugged around on shifting stuff from A to B the rails were about 18" apart and there was just room for the driver to stand. We only numbered about 20 in strength and thankfully I was shipped out to the Canal Zone. But wierd looking at those pic's above and ghosts of those now distant times return.

Hawkeye001
03-11-2010, 22:30
There is mention of Raf Orston on the link below:

www.raf-lincolnshire.info

Regards,

HawkEye001

Brummie Clayton
04-11-2010, 00:42
Strange seeing the old Huts, I was briefly here in 52 before flying out to another Petroleum Depot in the Canal Zone, vast area little to do small unit only guess about 20 of us RASC lads - such a long time ago,

Engineer
05-11-2010, 17:20
This site is about 2.5 miles from Redmile Fuel Store.

Praesta
06-11-2010, 22:12
Wasn't Orston an RLG used by Syerston & Newton? IIRC there were AMQs close by too. They were part of the Syerston / Newton enclave in 1972

stevie
08-11-2010, 00:27
Wasn't Orston an RLG used by Syerston & Newton? IIRC there were AMQs close by too. They were part of the Syerston / Newton enclave in 1972

Orston (airfield) was only used by Newton Ian.

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?4179-Orston

Praesta
08-11-2010, 16:24
Thanks Steve - I only asked because about 20 years ago I found some memos in an office in the SHQ at Syerston that pertain to the social club provisions for the AMQ estates at Syerston, Burtonand Orston. I remember the "Cast Away (I think) Club" on Coney Grey Spinney at Syerston. IF I'm completely right - I think that it was something to do with the Families (or Wives) Club at Newton that administered these sites as the remote accomodation was at C&M stations / facilities. I think it had the acronym SNOW (Syerston, Newton Orston & Wymeswold) Wives Club. May have just been SNO though.