PDA

View Full Version : Hardwick Park

Ossington_2008
29-10-2008, 23:32
37 SLG Hardwick Park

Every so often, SWMBO says something like "It's a lovely day, lets go for a country walk!" Good idea Cherub! I reply, OS map at the ready, "But" (Jab of finger at this point) "I want no airfields, no mouldy concrete, no crashes, no bombs, no death, no destruction, no severed limbs and NO POISON GAS! GEDDIT?
If you get something similar, and can get to J29 of the M!, then this place might suit you both. A National Trust property that was a landing ground. You can pay just for a garden visit, rather than the dearer house tour if you wish. The runway was as per the line, trees at both ends and the "hourglass" were removed at the time. As far as I can ascertain, the only aircraft ever to use it were a pair of Defiants, one painted green/brown, the other black, and they were only there as a protection flight for what was a substantial parachute training camp on the hillside between the house and (now) the motorway. Other than once being shown a tie-down block stored in a barn, there is now no aeronautical evidence. She won't suspect a thing!
If you can't face the clotted cream etc then the background arrow points to the southern portal of Rowthorne railway tunnel, now back-filled, once a 27MU bomb store but abandoned before the wars end as impracticable and unneccesary underground. Easy car parking and free!
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo322/Ossington_2008/37SLGAnnotated.jpg

NJR
05-12-2009, 20:52
Is there a memorial plaque on the house, to the parachute camp, or did I dream that?

NJR

Ossington_2008
06-12-2009, 12:57
There is a memorial to the paratrooper camp, mounted on a wall at the edge of the visitors car park. I can't put my hand to an image quickly though, I last photographed it well before buying a digital camera and it's buried in the usual holidays/weddings/xmas stuff.
IIRC it's somewhere about SK46250 63790.

if I manage this link properly (wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm)

NJR
06-12-2009, 14:18
That link comes out at Compton Bassett Ossie.

CDP
06-12-2009, 17:27
Noel, Hardwick Park in centered on grid SK 460 640, immediately to the east of the M1 a couple of miles or so n/w of Mansfield.

Alternatively here (http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.168223&lon=-1.302494&z=14&r=359&src=msl). It's on the Debyshire/Nottinghamshire border, the house being in Derbys.

Chris

Ossington_2008
06-12-2009, 17:54
I did say "if"
Oh well. I almost got it right! Curiously, when I open up WTP, it brings up the last location I opened. In my case it was Hardwick (I have just checked, and it's still Hardwick) BUT, the previous time I used it it was to search the Compton Bassett area (PNKs ranges I think it was)
If you copy 'n' paste the OS ref above into WTP, it should bring you to where I mean.

Carnaby
06-12-2009, 18:22
If you copy 'n' paste the OS ref above into WTP, it should bring you to where I mean.
It certainly does. To get the link to a page you click on the top right icon in the aerial view. It's a globe with a chain link under it.

Graham

Carnaby
20-09-2012, 22:38
A browse on 28MU's activities (Harpur Hill) yesterday revealed that the personnel of the subsite at Rowthorne were probably based at Hardwick. It was referred to as RAF Hardwick (which could cause confusion with the USAAF base in Norfolk).