PDA

View Full Version : Barnstorming Fields

Ossington_2008
02-12-2008, 21:02
I have a feeling that this book is not as widely known about as it ought to be. If you have vague knowledge that somewhere local to you was used between the wars for displays but have run out of info, then pehaps you might get a steer from:
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo322/Ossington_2008/TFFYcover.jpg
ISBN 0 85130 334 X £29.95 Available from Midland Counties or www.air-britain.co.uk (http://www.air-britain.co.uk) (don't forget the hyphen) Beware- you might end up being a member!
Ok, it might not give you the exact location each time, but it will almost certainly tell you WHEN. All you have to do is visit your local library and trawl through the old newspaper files (almost certainly on microfiche). Look up two weeks previous to your date and the following two. Firstly an advert or editorial will give you some idea of location, if not the exact field and as it was usual to offer free flights to local worthies, a photo of the mayor clambering in etc. Good Luck!

PNK
10-05-2009, 12:34
There was a set of fields in Eltham (SE London) that my Dad recalls being used for an Aviation Day. The trouble with these fields is that the only connection with aviation is that one display so they could hardly be called airfields. Not sure how you would classify them.
I suspect there were many similar occurances across the country and probably only of interest as an aviation event.
It is part of local history though.

hugoj_air
11-05-2009, 00:10
Peter, My definition for the Flying Circus sites is "Field Strips" as used by the flying circus and display groups of the 1930’s. Because at that time the majority of private site’s were known as aerodrome’s or landing ground’s. Title’s that seemed inappropriate for site’s that would in all probability see very little or no further aviation use. Many hundreds of these sites were scattered across the UK. (And dozens in Ireland) In some cases actual aerodromes were used, but the majority were suitable farm fields for which the farmers received payment.

Hugo.