PDA

View Full Version : RAF Patrington / Holmpton

dangerousdave
11-12-2008, 16:59
Just thought I'd let you guys know I am off to Holmpton this weekend. It's a big underground nuclear bunker in Humberside. It's also a museum, quite interesting if you want to look at it. It only closed it the 80's.
I'll try to get some normal pics up of it next week if I can.

Paul Francis
11-12-2008, 17:25
Mind the laptops!

JCB
11-12-2008, 18:09
Holmpton? Isn't that what should be called Patrington?

Paul Francis
11-12-2008, 19:44
Absolutly RAF Patrington not Holmpton only became RAF Holmpton when it was no longer RAF

dangerousdave
10-04-2009, 01:23
Just a quick one. I have access to Holmpton overnight on Halloween with a group of friends. I have it from 8pm alone until everyone turns up at around 9-9.30pm. If anyone is around the area and wants to roam alone around the rooms please feel free to let me know. There will be no guide for you, you have access to the whole uderground area if you wish to have a good nosey undisturbed. If you wish to stay a little later then I have a friend who is doing a past-life regression session too for anyone who believes in re-incarnation.

Richard Flagg
19-02-2010, 19:09
RAF Patrington / Holmpton official website online now;
http://www.rafholmpton.com/

They also have a History site too;
http://www.rafholmptonhistory.org.uk/

Cheers

Carnaby
19-02-2010, 21:27
Absolutly RAF Patrington not Holmpton only became RAF Holmpton when it was no longer RAF

Don't really understand this. According to Sub Brit, Patrington was the WWII GCI complex, which proved unsatisfactory for post WWII development, hence an adjacent site - three miles away - was selected.

On the 5th September 1952 Fighter Command officially adopted the name RAF Holmpton and at the same time confirmed that RAF Patrington would have no role to play in the ROTOR (http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/features/rotor/) programme. RAFM has a site plan for Holmpton VQJ. Any idea what the 'VQJ' is ?

Graham

Richard Flagg
12-06-2010, 16:53
via Terry Clout (JSU) RAF HOLMPTON / subbrit

The Operations Area of RAF SUPPORT COMMAND which was based
at RAF HOLMPTON between 1984 and 1991 has now been
fully restored - Following extensive research both the
allocation centre (supply centre) and Command Pit now
contain all original equipment/charts & details just as
the area was during its operational days. New viewing
windows have been installed to give a 'birds eye' view
of the Command Pit floor which is exactly 80ft below
the surface.

Although open since 2004 this area was always scheduled
for full restoration and is now open to visitors in it's
authentic form.

Richard Flagg
15-06-2010, 17:12
Attached photo from David Thompson

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ALL%20OTHER%20PHOTOS/David%20Thompson/11July20092of3.jpg

David Thompson
15-06-2010, 18:57
Thanks REF . The photograph was taken on 11 July 2009 looking east towards the coast . The main entrance to the site , car park and guardroom bungalow with access to the museum and underground system is on the left centre . I have been on a visit to the museum there before and it is well worth the effort if a little difficult to get too ! I can't remember what all of the other surface buildings were but I'm sure the one at the top of the car park was a standby generator house and I seem to remember a workshop and guard dog kennels .

Peter Kirk
15-06-2010, 23:46
Holmpton also had an air to ground range on the coast and an air to air range just off the coast.

David Thompson
10-07-2010, 22:49
Heritage Open day at Holmpton , 10 September 2010 ;

RAFHPS at RAF HOLMPTON wrote:
This year in conjunction with English Heritage
(HERITAGE OPEN DAYS 2010) RAF Holmpton will be
holding a special FREE visit on the morning of
Friday 10th September - Gates 10.30am
Visit 11am ending about 1pm.

Our very special guest this year is Professor Nigel
Butterworth, who was the Government's Chief Advisor
(Emergency Planning) during the 1980's.
Professor Butterworth was the
person directly responsible for a huge number of
Bunker Rebuilds and Refurbishments. Including the
improvement of most of the ROC Group Controls, the
building of some new RGHQ's at Chilmark, Cultybraggan
and Crowborough, and the refurbishment of Hack Green,
Skendleby and other sites.

He was also responsible for the major builds and rebuilds
at Naphill, Daws Hill, RAF Holmpton etc.

The professor will be giving an illustrated talk (film & slides)
and there will also be a walk through parts of RAF Holmpton
which have never been open/seen before by visitors.

Places are very limited and to obtain tickets go to www.rafholmpton.com
then click on the Special Events Page and use the email link there.

Steve Lewis
RAF Holmpton

Richard Flagg
27-05-2012, 11:20
This email arrived yesterday via Nick Catford / Subbrit

Due to a major failure of the ventilation system at Holmpton, the bunker will be closed for the rest of 2012 while repairs and/or replacement are made. The main intake motor has blown (this is original). It weighs 2 tons and is probably beyond economic repair.

James Fox would like to apologise for any disappointment.

netcompsys
29-09-2012, 19:01
I used to visit RAF Patrington while I was based at North Luffenham during the period, roughly, 1972 to 1974.

It was not a place we looked forward to visiting.

I used to service the Ottringham TACAN beacon which used to be just off the main road from Keyingham to Ottringham. Both it and the ROC post on the other side of the road have now disappeared without trace.

On occasion we used to have to visit the RAF Patrington domestic/technical site in the village of Patrington (now a caravan/leisure site) either to refuel or to kip in the transit accommodation (transit accommodation was generally poor, Patrington's was particularly bad). Both of these required a visit to the Guardroom to book in and out and invariably the Station Warrant Officer would catch us for some dress or hair infraction.

I never visited the hole which is now RAF Holmpton back then, but did visit last year.

Here are some photos

the "bungalow" entrance to the bunker

A view over the top of the bunker from the car park

Looking down the long corridor from the bungalow

The main plotting table

The medical centre

The "Laptops"

RAF Patrington station crest

click on the tthimnails for larger versions
I have more photos if anyone is interested

Well worth a visit when it is open (unless you are claustrophobic)

kevin

Richard Flagg
01-10-2012, 20:50
Great to see these Kevin, not seen the inside of this place before but it looks like an amazing place to visit. It is on my to do list. Maybe next year!

G4HFG
02-10-2012, 20:12
A few from my old collection taken just before its closure. Notice the drum of cable awaiting to be installed.

A rare snapshot of the modulator building

And another.

More when I find them!