PDA

View Full Version : Welcome - please introduce yourself here.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19

Jason D
11-09-2013, 11:30
Hello. Im from Birmingham. I live by the longbridge plant (Cofton Aerodrome) and i am also a member of Wellesbourne Wartime Museum. By day im an hgv driver so get to go on old and active airfields from time to time. If i do i will try and get some photos as i get to go into areas that the public can't. Hope to try and contribute to some discussions on here and learn more.

Alex Brown
11-09-2013, 12:15
Hello. Im from Birmingham. I live by the longbridge plant (Cofton Aerodrome) and i am also a member of Wellesbourne Wartime Museum. By day im an hgv driver so get to go on old and active airfields from time to time. If i do i will try and get some photos as i get to go into areas that the public can't. Hope to try and contribute to some discussions on here and learn more.

Hi Jason, a warm welcome to the AIX forum.
:)

Any pictures will be very much appreciated by us.

cbrjock
12-09-2013, 07:38
Welcome to AiX, Jason :)

cbrjock
12-09-2013, 07:40
Welcome to AiX, Jim :)

fastaviationdata
13-09-2013, 05:41
I'm from Clark Pampanga Philippines, There are many airfields here and some airbase are here.

Alex Brown
13-09-2013, 22:52
A very warm welcome to AIX, look forward to any photos of Philippine airfields you might be able to post

John Anderson
14-09-2013, 19:23
Hello Lester

Welcome! I spent a very happy couple of years in Manila 1980-1982. Visited Clark Airbase as it was then on one occasion.

John

In War and Peace
17-09-2013, 21:45
Hello all

Hi I am the grandson to two pilots who flew during the Battle of Britain in all honesty most of my family have in one way or another served Her Majesty's finest. I should have been a pilot myself I grow up living the dream listening to my grandfathers telling me of there escapades Unfortunately I lost my mum at a young age and I guess I rebelled some what from the whole pilot life and as a teenager chucked my teddies out of the pram and dug my heals in and decided I wanted to become a fire fighter. During my time at university I met a young lad whose dad was involved with the film industry and he saw some of my scratch built models and was amazed (not to sure why) I had a fascination at the time of scratch building RAF buildings from hangers to Nissan huts out of clay to complement my Airfix models he in turn introduced me to Steven Spielberg who paid my Uni fees in return for some models to be used in one of his famous war films. I spent my young life in one airfield or other and then when my mum passed away and I went to live with my Nan and Granddad I would cycle to North Weald nearly every Sunday to explore the buildings and listen to the ghosts of those left there I ironically found one of my grandfathers log books which he had lost there in 1940 then began my love of everything to do with the heritage of our airfields and aircraft. I unfortunately became disabled three years ago and now spend my time writing childrens books and now trying to write books on world war 2 short stories also I am again a professional modeller and in the process of some builds for the 70th anniversaries next year it was while doing some research for that job that I found this web site

well thats me

Adie

Alex Brown
18-09-2013, 00:07
Hi Adie, a very warm welcome to AIX

PETERTHEEATER
18-09-2013, 05:44
Welcome Aidie.

Would you show us some photographs of your airfield building models please? We have other members who build airfield related dioramas who should be interested too.

JOHN HARCOMBE
18-09-2013, 21:28
I am John Harcombe and I was stationed at RAF Warton in 1955, in Hut 10. I would like to track friends from that time.
Bill Ness and Jackie Meldrum from Edinburgh, Mid Lothian, they used to call me The Big yin.
John Hammond from Brixham in London and Bill Clamp from Burnley.
Any information would be welcome or if anyone knows of another way to track these friends please contact me through my daughters email address.
Many thanks

JLP
19-09-2013, 21:05
Just discovered Airfield Information Exchange this evening-very impressed.

I have a very specific area of research and wonder whether anybody can help or suggest where best to post on the forum?

I am trying to find out where aircraft wreckage salvaged off the East Kent coast would have been taken prior to No. 86 MU Sundridge becoming operational in February 1941.

Can anyone help please?

JLP

fastaviationdata
20-09-2013, 05:23
Thanks Guys!

fastaviationdata
20-09-2013, 05:25
Welcome Adie!

Alisdair
20-09-2013, 09:12
Hi People,

Google has led me here to your very excellent... if a little daunting forum. I need some help and advice please.

I am a professional photographer, and University student all rolled into one. I am, as part of a University Project, looking for high quality digital scans of East Anglian Airfields during the Second World War. I want then to return to the same spot that WW II photograph was taken, then using a medium format film camera take the "same" picture. The plan is essentially to have a before and after image making a statement about time and change, and the dynamic interaction between natural and cultural forces in the environment. I know it sounds very academic and pretentious, but that stuff happens at University.

I assume my first port of call is the National Archives down in London, but maybe there is a better place that holds archive negatives that can be, or have been scanned? The resources of this site I have only just begun to dig into... this thread http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/forumdisplay.php?169-Museums-and-Archives being of great help as a starter.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Alisdair Tait

David Thompson
20-09-2013, 09:28
I'm not sure about aircraft recovered from the sea but this book 'Harvest of Messerschmitts' ;
http://www.elham.co.uk/elham/warmemorial/elham_during_war_time.htm#Harvest of Messerschmitts may be of interest ?

This company ; http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/ have undertaken extensive research into aircraft crash sites off the south east coast and I'm pretty sure they were involved in the Dornier Do17 recovery from the Goodwin Sands and may possibly be able to help ?

Alex Brown
20-09-2013, 10:16
Hi Alisdair, welcome to the forum :)

It doesn't sound pretentious at all, we love photos that show then and now.

Our own ARG archive has a huge amount of material in, so perhaps we will be able to help you?

SVR2
21-09-2013, 12:47
Hello from the Island, glad to have found this forum. Have had a lifelong connection with aviation both civil and military, so plenty here of interest.

Curious looking at your IW section - nothing shown in the West Wight. Anyone know of any history there? I seem to remember there was a farm strip at Bouldner in the seventies, and a hangar-like structure somewhere behind the New Inn at Shalfleet. Any other info would be good.

airfields man
21-09-2013, 13:33
I too have the above mentioned book, and it's a very good read. Don't know if there are many still around, I have never seen one at any of the second-hand book shops that I've called at.
First published 1981 it's ISBN 0 7232 2772 1.

bvs
21-09-2013, 14:40
Hi SVR ... and a warm welcome from far away W Sussex : )
Welcome to the forum... Daveg4otu is probably your man for IOW info...

rgds baz

PETERTHEEATER
21-09-2013, 14:55
Welcome to AiX SVR2.

Do you (did you) have any connection with Saunders Roe or Norman Britten?

Peter Kirk
21-09-2013, 20:31
Welcome to the forum. Sounds as though you've had an interesting time despite not going down the flying route.

SVR2
21-09-2013, 22:55
Sadly no, not really. The closest I got to it was working in contact with the Britten Norman Hovercraft division (Cushioncraft) for a short while in the mid-to-late sixties!

PETERTHEEATER
22-09-2013, 08:39
Hovercraft, noisy but practical so liked by the US Military too.

The hangar like structure "behind" the New Inn in Shalfleet; was it this structure off Mill Lane?

http://www.instantstreetview.com/2nqoh3z3e09axzznvz2u

A barn with 'wings' methinks!

Daveg4otu
22-09-2013, 09:09
Welcome to AiX.....My pages here may be of interest to you.....
http://wight.hampshireairfields.co.uk/iow.html

JLP
22-09-2013, 19:34
Thank you for your replies airfields man and David. Very helpful lead for me to explore further.

SVR2
23-09-2013, 09:12
Welcome to AiX.....My pages here may be of interest to you.....
http://wight.hampshireairfields.co.uk/iow.html

Very interesting, thank you. Particularly liked the refuelling picture from Ventnor 1911!

SVR2
23-09-2013, 09:13
Think you're right, long time since I've looked up there, obviously wishful thinking on my part! Thanks.

Billtele
23-09-2013, 13:29
Hi Christine.
I started work at Llanbedr in 1957. At that time Nick Carter was indeed the manager, he had an office in a building that was also the pilots crew room. I was also a flight observer in Fireflies and my flying log was oversigned by him.
In 1962 I lived in a house that belonged to Short Bros and Harland, the house had been divided into four flats. We occupied one of the two on the second floor, the other was occupied by Eric Ainsworth and his family. The ground floor flat was occupied by Nick and his family. At that time Nick was a keen gardener and tended a plot belonging to the property that was on the opposite side of the road that ran past the now derelict St Davids Hotel. I recall the Green Standard Vanguard Estate that he drove, RGX 477. I know that he moved to the house named Ardudwy in Llanbedr, this house previously belonged to the owner of the Victoria Hotel. I trust this is of value in your quest.

airfields man
23-09-2013, 17:45
Welcome to AiX SVR2.

Do you (did you) have any connection with Saunders Roe or Norman Britten?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/airfieldsman/pandas%20pics/cannysphotosNo247011_zps1d7dae33.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/airfieldsman/media/pandas%20pics/cannysphotosNo247011_zps1d7dae33.jpg.html)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/airfieldsman/pandas%20pics/cannysphotosNo247008_zps6b88b189.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/airfieldsman/media/pandas%20pics/cannysphotosNo247008_zps6b88b189.jpg.html)
http://www.riverthamesnews.com/News246.html
I noticed this last week, took these photographs today.

SVR2
23-09-2013, 20:06
Fascinating - I knew he had been born there, nice to see a picture; two v good books on Saunders-Roe, 'From River to Sea' and 'From Sea to Air' tell the story.
Sadly I think the old Saro site behind the Folly on the Medina here has just this week been given Planning permission for development into 'luxury housing'.
Might try and shoot down there tomorrow and see what, if anything, I can photograph if the site hasn't already been cleared.

sidney young
23-09-2013, 22:22
bolton radio colledge 1941
hull radio ....................billeted with jullius issacs nephew VICEROY OF INDIA [trace please
via benson raf last known ]
hornchurch spits manston spits
snaith canadians haifaxs
kenley caterham new vhf txs in dugout AUGUST 42 DIEPPE RAID IM INVOLVED TRANSMISSIONS
RICCAL COM HALIFAXS CONVERSON [LOST men FORGOT ITS FOUR PROPS not two]
watchfield lorenz s.b.approach lessons by flight
ravenscar 24/7 RADIO BEACONS & TRACK GUIDE ASSIST OUR BOMBERS
TOW LAW BEACON
DISS PETER SCOTT TX SCOLE RCVS HAW HAW PROGR BERLIN
DISS D DAY TX MUSH
LITTLE STOUGHTON FIRST METOUR JET
LITTLE RISSINGTON POST WAR
U.S GUARD ALOWED I DRIVE ROLLS ROYCE AROUND FOR OLD TIMES SAKE
SEE MY EX DANCE HALL

David Thompson
23-09-2013, 23:15
Sidney

When were you at the Ravenscar Radio Track Guide Station ? I know of Vic Dagnell who was there in February 1944 as a wireless mechanic and worked on the the Swab transmitter and Darkie TR9 sets .

Can you remember where the Tow Law beacon was ?
Thank you

sidney young
24-09-2013, 22:19
beides diss eleven other postings all over g.b
ive posted each one with short stories . please search and come back to me if of interest
im still not [at age 91]follow this wonderful system [ineed all the help i can get]
sidney young ex lac radio w. mech
whats next step to make sure you get this message

PETERTHEEATER
25-09-2013, 12:25
Thanks Sidney. I (and others) have read your posts on the airfield threads. You are doing just fine, keep 'em coming!

Pilt
29-09-2013, 20:27
Hi, my name is Paul, i live in Fleckney, love all stuff to do with aircraft,photography and satellite dish installation and reception,radio dxing and electronics. I frequent Bruntingthorpe most Sundays taking photos, i would volunteer but as i work as a vehicle mechanic all week i feel it would be a bit much spending my weekends there helping out.I;ll travel most places to get pics of different aircraft and found your website after trawling the net looking for information about the history of RAF Bruntingthorpe. Cheers.

Peter Kirk
29-09-2013, 21:30
Welcome to the forum.

Alex Brown
29-09-2013, 21:33
Hello Paul, a warm welcome to AIX :)

cbrjock
30-09-2013, 06:34
Welcome to AiX Paul :)

jon
30-09-2013, 08:32
Good morning everyone. I have finally joined this excellent forum after spending the past couple of days using bits of it for research for various things.

My personal interests are anything and everything WW2 related focusing mainly on the USAAF and the RAF during the war. I'm fortunate to currently live in Bomber County but originally I'm from Northamptonshire. I was lucky to have grown up not a million miles away from Harrington and have spent many weekends touring the USAAF bases in the area and trying to learn more about them, their infrastructure and what made them 'tick'.

I also have a passion for the Battle of Britain and have spent many holidays down in Kent walking the white cliffs and visiting Manston and Hawkinge, and I am lucky enough to remember Hawkinge before the developers moved in and ruined it!

I look forward to reading the many and varied topics on the forum and hopefully increasing my knowledge at the same time!!

All the best

Jon

Alex Brown
30-09-2013, 08:55
Hi Jon, welcome to the forum :)

PaulCamp
30-09-2013, 10:10
Hello Everyone,
I wondered if any of you are interested in working to preserve dis-used airfields by leasing the land to construct solar farms?

BELECTRIC is the world's largest solar engineering company -we build large scale solar farms in harmony with nature.

So how would this work and what are the likely benefits? (THIS IS EXPLORATORY ONLY AT THIS STAGE)

1) Solar Farms are TEMPORARY structures which create clean, renewable energy for 25 years

2) They can be planted with wildflower to create enhanced natural habitats

3) The solar farms need underground cable runs down to a depth of 1.2 meters - any artifacts recovered and handed over to the landowner or local/national aviation conservation trust

4) There may be some project money available for erecting memorials or information boards / assisting with community actions groups (after appropriate public consultation)

5) The solar farms are decommissioned after 25 years and the land is returned to its previous state with no pollution

If you feel this may be of interest to a dis-used airfield then please get in touch.
A couple of last points - sites must be south of Nottingham (draw a line across the country) and have access to the electricity grid via overhead lines or substation.

I look forward to any helpful / constructive comments you might have.

ATB
Paul Camp
Business Development and Finance
BELECTRIC Solar Ltd
07943 -859 -763

ww2ni
30-09-2013, 10:28
Good to have you with us!

Alex Brown
30-09-2013, 11:41
Hi Paul, welcome

I'm very much in favour of solar farms where they do preserve the airfield intact and don't involve the demolition of any structures.

I personally feel that this use is much preferable to other forms of development involving flattening everything and building on the top.

Not everyone on here agrees with me though...

WJT
30-09-2013, 12:56
I hear that a solar park is now the likely outcome at West Raynham, ramrodded by the landowner.

jon
30-09-2013, 13:44
Thanks chaps. Hopefully in the next few days I'll get some photos up of the various sites I've visited!

PaulCamp
30-09-2013, 13:44
I thought the site was sold to Roger Gawn and then his company went into administration?
So who owns it now? Welbeck Homes use to...

Paul Lloyd
30-09-2013, 16:24
Roger Gawn has been given the Order of the Boot - thank F

Good Energy is in the process of asking for Planning Permission for the WR airfield site, for a solar farm on the former airfield/runway. They hope to have this by Spring next year.

If permission is obtained, they will be giving a sum of money towards the WR Memorial appeal

Investec currently owns the former West Raynham site.

airfields man
30-09-2013, 17:20
Good morning everyone.

My personal interests are anything and everything WW2 related focusing mainly on the USAAF and the RAF during the war.

I also have a passion for the Battle of Britain

All the best

Jon

A mirror image of my interests :grin: Welcome to the forum Jon. Look forward to seeing any photographs that you may have.

Another Number
01-10-2013, 08:02
A very warm welcome Jon, it sounds like you will fit in well on the forum. I look forward to seeing your input too

vaughan
01-10-2013, 09:30
Living as I do midway between Bramcote and Nuneaton I,ve developed an interest in local airfields.
Before their demise my parents lived in Wellesbourne Mountford , so I,m on here to glean more information if anyone can point me in the wright direction.

Vaughan

jon
01-10-2013, 10:24
Thanks gents, I'm just about to post some photos up of old adventures so I hope you enjoy them!

Jon

Alex Brown
01-10-2013, 11:31
Living as I do midway between Bramcote and Nuneaton I,ve developed an interest in local airfields.
Before their demise my parents lived in Wellesbourne Mountford , so I,m on here to glean more information if anyone can point me in the wright direction.

Vaughan

Hi Vaughan, welcome to the forum.

It's not an area that I am familiar with, but if you haven't already seen it here is the thread for Wellesbourne Mountford: http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?1050-Wellesbourne-Mountford&highlight=wellesbourne

PETERTHEEATER
02-10-2013, 08:29
Welcome to AiX Vaughan.

These are some of the airfields (active and disused) in your area. You can find details of each via the Search function:

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l366/PRACHUAP/Nuneatonareaairfields_zps74316f21.jpg

stevie
02-10-2013, 09:28
Hi Paul,

Welcome to AiX. Always great to have another Leicestershire local on here :-D

Steve

Another Number
03-10-2013, 08:09
Not come across Brinklow or Southam before, any more info?

PETERTHEEATER
03-10-2013, 08:33
The Brinklow thread is here:

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?9372-Brinklow-Bretford&highlight=brinklow

Don't seem to have one for Southam but it was under Flying Training Command about 9 miles SE of Warwick approx NGR SP430620 here:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.250025&lon=-1.375102&lz=14&rz=16&lt=OS&rt=satellite&lov=None&rov=None

Another Number
03-10-2013, 20:13
Thanks PTE, I'll investigate further

vaughan
03-10-2013, 20:23
I,ve heard that there was some sort of grass strip at Grandborough, just south of the Dunchurch to Daventry road, what can anyone tell me about this ?.
Also, another puzzler for you, in the 60,s old workmates would speak of the flying from another grass strip on Harbury lane which ran from the Fosse way to the Leamington to Bishops Tachbrook rd south of Leamington. It was called Bonniksons, I think.
Finally looking at the attached map reminded me of the blister hanger that stood for years at the Warwick grass strip on the south eastern corner of the site.

Great site brought back lots of memories :-D:-D.

Vaughan

fastaviationdata
04-10-2013, 10:25
Welcome to the forum Vaughan! Enjoy! Cheers!

PETERTHEEATER
04-10-2013, 10:34
Also, another puzzler for you, in the 60,s old workmates would speak of the flying from another grass strip on Harbury lane which ran from the Fosse way to the Leamington to Bishops Tachbrook rd south of Leamington. It was called Bonniksons, I think.

That was Leamington later known as Bishops Tachbrook. AKA Bonniksens (spelling?)

Was originally the Royal Leamington Spa Aircraft Park and School of Flying in the mid 1920s listed in the Automobile Association book of landing grounds. During WW2 was used for Whitley aircraft repairs and had a couple of Bellman hangars.

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?10724-Leamington-Spa&highlight=leamington

cwb411
04-10-2013, 20:18
My name is Colin Boyd, age 64, now a retired Professor of Management living on Hornby Island in British Columbia.

My interest in this forum lies in the fact that I was born and raised on the campus of what was Cranfield College of Aeronautics, now Cranfield University, and formerly RAF Cranfield. I copy below a post that I have made on the Cranfield forum in the Bedfordshire airfields section so that people can understand my background.

Ironically, at the age of 24 I returned to live at the Cranfield campus to study for an MBA degree in 1974-75. I did not go back there because it was my birthplace, but because Cranfield School of Management was the only business school to offer a one-year MBA program at the time. I stayed on to do a Ph.D. at the school, with a desk situated just 50 yards from the building where I started attending Primary School at age 5! I emigrated to Canada to become an academic in 1978.

Here is the material that I posted on the Cranfield forum...

---------------

My father was Joseph Alexander Boyd, otherwise known as Paddy Boyd. He served with the RAF in WW2 and landed in France on D-Day +4 with a forward servicing unit looking after Typhoons and Spitfires that were landing on temporary steel mesh runways. His unit did refueling, rearming, and minor airframe repairs. He and his crew had many encounters with strafing German fighters. He once dived under a fuel bowser rather than a nearer repair truck during one raid, only to see the repair truck blown to bits.

Both he and my mother had served at RAF Cranfield during the war, but not coincidentally. My mother was the boss of the NAAFI there for a year, and can still show you (at age 97) where her office was within the space now occupied by the Social Club.

My father was the second employee ever of what would eventually become the Cranfield College of Aeronautics, starting in 1946. RAF Cranfield was designated as the main receiving point for all of the aviation loot plundered from Nazi Germany by the UK at the end of the war. Russia, France and the USA all stole their share of the loot, including personnel such as Werner Von Braun.

My father sat for many months opening crate after crate after crate of plundered aviation-related goods. This was the origin of RAF Cranfield becoming the centre for the study of aeronautics within the UK. He himself plundered a few things. In my house I have a beautiful brass inclinometer, and a Luftwaffe recording barometer that he somehow smuggled back home from these crates.

All of the pictures that you might see of the historic planes stored at Cranfield in the period from the 1950s to the 1970s were planes that he was in charge of. He was the boss of the engineering side of the Department of Aircraft Design, helping all the Masters students construct and conduct their thesis experiments. All of the planes in his hangers were the examples that his students could inspect to aid them in their studies they were not just museum pieces, but were practical illustrations of aircraft design.

His most famous acquisition was the TSR2 (# 220?), which he had delivered from Boscombe Down to Cranfield. This is the one that eventually ended up at Cosford.

The picture of the planes in post #5 shows only about half of his total collection of planes. If others prompt me, then I will try to name them all, and possibly rename some of the ones shown in this picture.

As a kid I sat in every one of those cockpits. While playing as a mad kid I also fell off the wing of the Lancaster/Lincoln bomber shown in some of these photos, falling onto a blast-deflecting earth berm where a piece of flint gave me a scar on my knee that I have to this day. I will forever recall the difficulty of trying to crawl over the mid-wing-spar of that plane while trying to get from the front of the fuselage to the back!

I should at least mention that he had both V1 and V2 missiles on display in his hanger at Cranfield, and also a curious one man German unpowered gyrocopter that would be towed along behind a U-Boat so as to give an increased field of vision above the horizon. The flying boat that can be seen in the picture in post#5 was a Saunders-Roe SR./A.1, a flying boat jet fighter.

PETERTHEEATER
05-10-2013, 08:42
Welcome to AiX Colin and thanks for the Cranfield background that adds to our knowledge of this respected establishment.

AdamJack
14-10-2013, 19:19
Hello ,my name is Adam

I have been interested in all things aviation wise from a very young age ,this was my fathers influence ,he worked for many years at Hawker Siderly at Hatfield and later moved to the gyroscope division at BAC Hatfield .

I myself do not work in the aviation industry ,but I was in the Royal Observer Corps until standown ,even though our main task was pltting nuclear bursts ,we still retained our original aircaft spotting skills

I discovered this sight whilst doing some research into Waterbeach and Bassingbourn ,and have discovered a lot about my local airfields ,if I can be of help I will be ,and please feel free to ask me any questions .

All the best

Adam :)

PETERTHEEATER
15-10-2013, 09:08
Welcome to AiX Jack.

I hope that you have read the AiX threads on Waterbeach and Bassingbourn and can add something.

Peter Kirk
15-10-2013, 11:22
Welcome to the forum

poacha38
16-10-2013, 15:00
Just a quick update re the Wimpy crash. The memorial proposal is being progressed nicely and we are currently liaising with land/property owners to seek their permissions for siting the memorial and also obtaining quotes from several businesses for provision of materials for the memorial.

If anyone wants to keep upto date with whats happening they can do so by visiting our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/MeltonMowbrayWellingtonBomberMemorialAppeal and 'hitting' the like button.

Attached is our firast MMWBMA newsletter - enjoy.

Richard Flagg
16-10-2013, 16:37
poacha38, if you could keep the updates coming here as well as faceache that would be great. Especially for those of us who do not and will not use faceache....

Thanks

Ossington_2008
16-10-2013, 19:55
I call it "Sit-on-my-face" book. And wriggle. A line from Airplane! just in case you think I'm a perv.

margaret8491
17-10-2013, 20:54
I registered for this forum as my husband has a long held interest in the USAAF Mighty 8th. That said I like the wall art and murals and nose art too. We visited Milton Ernest Hall recently, this superb grade building was once used by Glenn Miller and his band as accommodation whilst in the UK . For those of you interested in wall murals/art , there is a wonderful mural inside the conservatory....... not of a war plane but of a wonderful lion. Pictures of the hall and the lion can be found on this site. ENJOY !! Especially if you find the wall art of interest.... this one is in near perfect condition as it is housed inside a conservatory. We saw it for ourselves .

Alex Brown
17-10-2013, 21:11
Hello Margaret, welcome to AIX.

There is a thread on the hall here: http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?10892-MILTON-ERNEST-HALL-Glenn-Miller-Plaque&highlight=milton+ernest+hall

sh0wtime
21-10-2013, 20:15
Hi Guys
signed up last night after spending a rainy Sunday afternoon browsing the forum. Lots of great info on here from some very knowledgable guys. Thank you.
I've always had a background interest in aviation but the last few years have seen me reading more & more about the exciting early years & the wartime stuff.
My grandad was one of the boffins who worked in the RAE but sadly he passed away when i was 9 in 1978 & i have missed out on so much he could have shared..
my main topics of interest are WW2 airfields & i really like the art deco styled control towers. Farnborough had an amazing art deco style tower that was demolished in 2003 & i'm pretty sad to have missed out on that one.
if there is anyone on here who worked at the RAE in the post war years my Grandads name was James L Maitland. he was also a founder member of the RAE camera club (now the Farnborough Camera Club). i'd love to hear any memories of him (good or bad) & hopefully i can chip in if there's anything i find or know that would be of interest :)

PETERTHEEATER
22-10-2013, 10:16
Welcome to AiX Sh0wtime, the most well known art deco CT has to be the Beehive at Gatwick.

Alex Brown
22-10-2013, 11:32
Welcome :)

It's sad to think that nice Deco control towers are still under threat, like the one at Waddington for instance.

fastaviationdata
23-10-2013, 08:26
Hello! Welcome to the forum. :)

Robin
23-10-2013, 14:55
Hi, welcome to the site. While doing my National Service in the RAF, I served a 3 month detachment at the Institute of Aviation Medicine in early 1961, and having attended many of the SBAC shows in the late 50s, I found it a very interesting place to be. While there, I lived in the RAE hostel down near the railway station.

Robin.

McGeechan6600
29-10-2013, 18:32
I have always loved maps and started noticing airfields showing on the 2nd series of OS maps in my early 20's, I am amazed by how much is still visible on Google Earth and tell people as often as possible that the Airfields building program matches - if not exceeds - the building of the Motorways that followed or the Railways and Canals the preceeded them. I also feel these overlooked airfields were built during a very short period so should rank amongst British civil engineerings great achievements.

Peter Kirk
29-10-2013, 21:37
I too got hooked on maps but at an early age with sheet 171 of the old 1" series and a magnifying glass. With that and a 1947 AA (Bartholomew) atlas I was away on my bike. Years later I noticed that the AA atlas had a lot of X marks midway through a road meaning road closed. You'll never guess what that meant was there :)

toad57
31-10-2013, 00:51
Hi,
My name is Tony and I have just found this site - or should I say 'landed'? I found this site via a Google search for Buffer Depots.
My interest area is Buffer Depots and, in particular, how the one we now use as a steam railway museum at Quainton, Bucks (HP22 4BY) came about, when it was built and how it fits in with all the others.
I have read a thread on here on these and one correspondent suggested that there were 135 in the UK. Ours was numbered 450K and I know of other ex depots at 6 and 12 miles from us (Aylesbury and Tring). Aylesbury, like Quainton, was road and rail served whilst Tring is road and canal (Grand Union). There is a vast one at Steventon with, I think, 120 Romneys and two very large brick buildings. I dont know their numbers but all others are now industrial estates.
450K had 7 Romneys (now 6) each 36 foot by 100. Each is lined from 3 foot up with 2foot by 6 foot curved plaster boards. The floor is just flat concrete but it is thin - around 3 inches of concrete ontop of a single layer of old or second hand brick. Calvert Brickworks was 6 miles away and its clay pits are now lakes or used for landfill. The brick building incorporated a bomb shelter in one outer wall with a 12 inch roof slab, no windows of course but a grill just above ground level that could be kicked out. Entrance way was a double back route and walls were seperate from main structure - looked like a vertical cut each side. Only 3 bombs landed in the area and all in fields despite presence of Westcott Airfield (RAF) a mile away. At war end Westcott recieved many of the repatriated POWs with a local remembering that a Lancaster or Wellington was landing every 8 minutes for 3 weeks which must have been quite a sight!
The goods yard at Quainton (on the opposite side of the station from the Buffer Depot) was a Petrol Dump (PD9) where large tanks or barrels of petrol arrived, were taken away in barrels to remote local places (such as Waddesdon Manor) and decanted into jerry cans. They also handled pipes and one village lad had a holiday job labelling each pipe PD9. Later, after joining up, he was in North Africa and given the job of pipe laying across the desert and some pipes had PD9 on them!
450K has been adapted for its present role but still shows the signs of a Buffer Depot and was used until the 1980's to store potato, flour and sugar.
Does anyone know if there were another 449 depots? What did the K stand for?
Thanks,
Tony

Paul Francis
31-10-2013, 09:10
Interesting post there toad57. The index of buffer depot names, numbers and letters can be found in MAF 325/37 at The National Archives, Kew. You have now got me interested, I may well check this file out, but first I will check our archives as we may already have it. Oh and welcome to AiX!

PETERTHEEATER
31-10-2013, 09:29
Welcome to AiX toad57

Buffer Depots? Not quite my line but I am interested because a late aunt of mine worked in one during the war.

I know of several locations around the country where they were located and many original structures survive.

This story of a railway driver working at a depot is interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/22/a4319822.shtml

ColinBa
31-10-2013, 12:08
If you look at the thread Buffer Depots on this site there is a lot of info.

PETERTHEEATER
31-10-2013, 14:03
I got the impression that the OP had read through that thread.

bvs
02-11-2013, 21:17
Welcome to the forum...I also used to spend hours poring over maps etc :)

Chris Lowe
02-11-2013, 21:23
Welcome to the forum.

I still spent hours pouring over maps both new & old.

Chris

Gaynor Mokrysz
05-11-2013, 16:31
Depends what you mean by comfortable driving distance! RAF Upwood may be an option. 1hour straight up the M11

Hi
I noticed that there was some help that had been given to someone trying to find a hangar for rent. We wondered can anyone assist us with an unusual request. We are looking to part use a hangar or have someone go into partnership with us on a business venture if they have a hangar that is not currently being completely utilized. The hangar would need to have a forklift available and be ideally around 15m if possible on one of the dimensions either width or length. If you have a hangar or know someone who has one who would like to earn some extra cash by utilizing it more can you get them to contact me please on
07790 480484 - Gaynor

fastaviationdata
07-11-2013, 06:43
Welcome! Enjoy sharing your ideas. :)

MichaelGW
12-11-2013, 17:53
Hello All

I have just joined because of some current research I was doing. This relates to my fathers RAF career during WWII and just after. I have his flight log book and some pictures but not much more. He qualified as a flight engineer in May 44 on Halifax III's and his course was at RAF St Athan. He then went to 1666 Heavy Conversion Unit at Wombleton (I assume) for hands on aircraft training. He went operational with 415 Squadron RCAF at Eastmoor in Aug until the end of Sept 44 . The next entries in his log are in April 45 at No 1652 Conversion Unit at Marston Moor. There was then a brief stay during June July 45 at O.R.T.U Matching. Finally he served with 190 Squadron at Great Dunmow from July to Oct (last entry 27th Oct) 45.
I am interested in finding information about these places especially Eastmoor. Naturally I am willing to share what information I have with others.

Other than the above I have been an aeronautical fan for many years. During my career as an Electronic System Engineer I worked on both Military and Civilian air systems. The last 10 or 15 years were in designing Air Traffic Control Systems for NATS and many other ATC organisations in countries around the world. I have also for many years had Flight Simulation as a significant hobby. On this front I am naturally interested in information relating to current airports.

I have been retired now for some years and so am happily able to pursue my interests which are varied.

Cheers everyone

PJH
12-11-2013, 19:49
Welcome to the forum MichaelGW. Hopefully you've found the thread on East Moor in the Yorkshire airfields section. We look forward to any input you have, and between us try and answer any queries you have.

Alex Brown
12-11-2013, 21:20
Hello and welcome to AIX

ianbache
12-11-2013, 21:38
A very warm welcome to the forum, hopefully any questions you may have will be answered on here by many off the different field experts,
Regards Ian

Bomber
12-11-2013, 21:45
Hello All

I have just joined because of some current research I was doing. This relates to my fathers RAF career during WWII and just after. I have his flight log book and some pictures but not much more. He qualified as a flight engineer in May 44 on Halifax III's and his course was at RAF St Athan. He then went to 1666 Heavy Conversion Unit at Wombleton (I assume) for hands on aircraft training. He went operational with 415 Squadron RCAF at Eastmoor in Aug until the end of Sept 44 . The next entries in his log are in April 45 at No 1652 Conversion Unit at Marston Moor. There was then a brief stay during June July 45 at O.R.T.U Matching. Finally he served with 190 Squadron at Great Dunmow from July to Oct (last entry 27th Oct) 45.
I am interested in finding information about these places especially Eastmoor. Naturally I am willing to share what information I have with others.

Other than the above I have been an aeronautical fan for many years. During my career as an Electronic System Engineer I worked on both Military and Civilian air systems. The last 10 or 15 years were in designing Air Traffic Control Systems for NATS and many other ATC organisations in countries around the world. I have also for many years had Flight Simulation as a significant hobby. On this front I am naturally interested in information relating to current airports.

I have been retired now for some years and so am happily able to pursue my interests which are varied.

Cheers everyone
Hi Michal welcome to the forum if you get the chance to visit Wombleton their is plenty to see . All three runways are still in situ Along with the control tower . As for Eastmoor I not sure what is now viable as it been so long since I visited the airfield .
Any way good hunting with your interests !
Regards ,
Bomber .

historyhunter
13-11-2013, 18:08
Hi All,

Stumbled across your excellent site during my research, and very pleased to have joined your number.

I am a keen local amateur historian and researcher. My current project is on RNAS Killingholme, which is on my doorstep, with a view to putting on a small exhibition, along with a friend, to commemorate the centenary of World War I. Any input gratefully received, and being close to both RAF and RNAS Killingholme sites, if I can help with information or photos of the locality, please don't be shy to ask!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Historyhunter

airfields man
13-11-2013, 18:37
Hi historyhunter, welcome to the forum. Regards North Killingholme we called there around 1987-8 to take some photographs of whatever we could find. I'm sure it was a farmhouse close to the church who had the key to let us in to see the stained glass window. You can find this within the Memorial Section. Also I was given a programme of the memorial dedication, but this has disappeared along with the memorial photographs we took.

historyhunter
13-11-2013, 19:16
Hi airfieldsman,

Many thanks for the welcome!

Very sorry to hear that you lost the photographs of the Memorial window and the dedication. I'm not sure if there are any copies of the dedication available, but will ask if you would like me too.

Not sure if you're aware, but there is a Memorial Day for 550 Squadron held in the village each July, with flypast by Lancaster B-QB, of the BBMF, with lots of interesting items on display. Last year the Squadron was presented with a segment of tail plane, which was used as a stretcher for an injured airman when the bomber crash landed in Belgium. It's a fabulous day - well worth attending if you can.

historyhunter

netcompsys
14-11-2013, 00:45
This thread would be a good starting point
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?1201-Killingholme&highlight=killingholme

It is striking that there is no memorial plaque on the sea wall

Kevin

Alex Brown
14-11-2013, 01:42
Hello and welcome to AIX, from the opposite end of Lincolnshire!

historyhunter
14-11-2013, 10:10
Thanks Kevin and Arcade Al. :-)

Thanks also for pointing me in the right direction - some great stuff there! .... and yes, it is a great pity that there is no memorial plaque on or near the site of RNAS Killingholme - maybe that is something I could suggest to our local parish councillors. It would certainly be an apt time to do something, with the centenary next year of WW1.

historyhunter

netcompsys
14-11-2013, 13:11
Regards North Killingholme we called there around 1987-8 to take some photographs of whatever we could find. I'm sure it was a farmhouse close to the church who had the key to let us in to see the stained glass window. You can find this within the Memorial Section. Also I was given a programme of the memorial dedication, but this has disappeared along with the memorial photographs we took.

Very sorry to hear that you lost the photographs of the Memorial window and the dedication. I'm not sure if there are any copies of the dedication available, but will ask if you would like me too.

Not sure if you're aware, but there is a Memorial Day for 550 Squadron held in the village each July, with flypast by Lancaster B-QB, of the BBMF, with lots of interesting items on display. Last year the Squadron was presented with a segment of tail plane, which was used as a stretcher for an injured airman when the bomber crash landed in Belgium. It's a fabulous day - well worth attending if you can.

Lets be clear here - RNAS Killinghome was a WWI, RNAS, USN, RAF aerodrome and seaplane base, not to be confused with RAF North Killingholme which was a WW2 Lancaster bomber base, and which was in a completely different location, and possibly even more confusing is that RNAS Killinghome is further north than RAF North Killingholme

The memorials in the Church at North Killingholme relate to RAF North Killingholme and 550 squadron.

So RNAS Killingholme was here
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.667757&lon=-0.245166&z=15.5&r=0&src=msl

and RAF North Killingholme was here
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.637008&lon=-0.292194&z=14.9&r=0&src=msl

kevin

airfields man
14-11-2013, 17:52
I wasn't confused anyway 8-)

Sospiri
14-11-2013, 19:49
Hi all,

My main interest is in 291 MU, RAF Stoke Heath (Tern Hill) between 1955 and 1957, though I have a general interest in airfields of the New Forest and one or two other places. However, since 2005 I've been a resident of North East Crete and my visits to the UK are now once a year at best.

I'm always interested in linking up with people who may have known me during my relatively short time in the RAF.

Regards,

Sospiri - more details in my profile.

Alex Brown
14-11-2013, 19:52
Hello, welcome to AIX

historyhunter
15-11-2013, 09:07
Me neither, but thanks anyway. As I said in my introduction, I live on the doorstep of both airfields, so would be pleased to help out with information on either. :-)

I've mentioned the memorial plaque to RNAS Killingholme to the powers that be - we'll see if anything develops. Fingers crossed!

PETERTHEEATER
15-11-2013, 09:36
Welcome to AiX Sospiri.

netcompsys
15-11-2013, 11:55
I wasn't confused anyway 8-)

Me neither

Well that is good to hear.... :-D

I've mentioned the memorial plaque to RNAS Killingholme to the powers that be - we'll see if anything develops. Fingers crossed!

As you say with the centenary of the start of WW1 coming up it would be a good time, in addition AHL/LCC are keen to promote aviation tourisim and I know that the themes coming up include both WW1 and and an American trail (they recently gave a talk on American Aviators in Lincolnshire).

Thinking about it, a metal plaque might not be a good idea given the remote location and the predilection of metal theft, but what ever arises would be good

kevin

Peter Kirk
15-11-2013, 22:39
Welcome to the forum. Have you looked into the wartime history of Crete? I seem to recall the airfields there played a key part.

Bahnstormer
15-11-2013, 23:53
Hi everyone :)

I'm Rob and I'm fortunate enough to live in the New Forest (I actually live right next door to RAF Holmsley South). I stumbled across the site whilst looking for info on Ashley Walk and thought I'd sign up.

I look forward to exploring the site further and maybe posting up some pics of my own in the future :)

Alex Brown
16-11-2013, 01:24
Hi everyone :)

I'm Rob and I'm fortunate enough to live in the New Forest (I actually live right next door to RAF Holmsley South). I stumbled across the site whilst looking for info on Ashley Walk and thought I'd sign up.

I look forward to exploring the site further and maybe posting up some pics of my own in the future :)

Hello Rob, a very warm welcome to AIX

PETERTHEEATER
16-11-2013, 04:35
Welcome to AiX bahnstormer; a lovely place to live New Forest.

Unfortunately for post-war researchers areas within the Forest that were occupied by the military during WW2 have been actively reinstated to their natural state and it takes a good eye on the ground to spot locations.

Read through the threads on AiX for airfields and sites that you want to visit so that you are prepared.

A illustrated report in due course will be appreciated.

Azza118
20-11-2013, 21:08
Hi all,

New to this don't mind local bases but main interest is historical bases especially near where i live in Bomber County

topham
21-11-2013, 00:58
hiya guys was wondering if any more info on raf balderton memoriol or any control tower pictures ? also has anyone got any 227 lanc pics or any aircrew memoires ? big thanks if you can help with my project .

Mayfly
21-11-2013, 18:08
Just thought I would say Hello. I can't believe I haven't found this forum before :o

I found it looking for info on RAF Methingham. I live just down the road and for my sins got roped into helping with the members quarterly news letter.

airfields man
21-11-2013, 19:45
I found it looking for info on RAF Methingham. I live just down the road and for my sins got roped into helping with the members quarterly news letter.

Hi Mayfly, Welcome to the forum. Well you know what they say; :o When something is right on your doorstep.....you never take much notice :-)

Alex Brown
21-11-2013, 22:39
Welcome to AIX Mayfly

Tempest
24-11-2013, 23:55
Hello everyone :-D

My name is Frank and I'm living near Zurich airport in Switzerland. My main interest is in airplanes of WWII and early jet age. I do also search in aviation history, mainly relatet to my country. A passion of my is aviation art, where I do paint in oil and do also pencil drawings.
I was searching at the internet for the airbase at Framlingham and came across this forum. I hope to get some information about the homebase of the 390th BG / 571BS, because I'm writing a book about the B-17 "Lassie", who was landing on 13th of April 1944 about 7 km from my home in Switzerland. Since ten years I'm in contact with the co-pilot of this B-17, Nelson "Bob" Cockrum, now 94 years old. I will place my questions in the section airfields and send of course some photos there.

Regards Frank

PETERTHEEATER
25-11-2013, 05:52
Hello Frank, welcome to AiX.

we have a number of B17 and USAAF enthusiasts on AiX and I hope that someone will be able to assist you with images.

There are several 'free' images on the Fold3 website that are attributed to Framlingham I think that I posted one in this thread showing a temporary bomb store alongside the Shooting-in Butt wiyj a B17 parked on the hardstand. 'J' 230320.

fastaviationdata
26-11-2013, 08:46
Hi Frank! Welcome to AIX. :)

soprano54
26-11-2013, 16:47
What a great site! My interest in old airfields was spawned when I was working with the RAF at Coltishall between 02-05. I had cause to visit several old airfields in the area (Rackheath, Hardwick & West Raynham) and was amazed at how much is left. I'm mainly interested in those airfields that were used by the 'Mighty Eighth' in East Anglia.

Richard Flagg
26-11-2013, 20:11
Welcome, are you local to East Anglia? There are plenty of airfields in the area to visit.

Enjoy the forum!

soprano54
26-11-2013, 20:51
Welcome, are you local to East Anglia? There are plenty of airfields in the area to visit.

Enjoy the forum!

Unfortunatly not, now living in Gloucestershire!

Richard Flagg
26-11-2013, 20:57
There are still a few in Gloucester to see, I was at Little Rissington a couple months back, they are knocking down a lot of stuff there.

Anyway, enjoy the forum and I look forward to seeing your updates and photos.

Rich

Tony H
26-11-2013, 22:25
Welcome to the forum Mayfly - a wealth of knowledge and friendly discussion awaits :)

Tony H
Sleaford

netcompsys
26-11-2013, 22:34
... and for my sins got roped into helping with the members quarterly news letter.

Now we know who to blame!

Seriously though, a good read

Welcome

kevin

Alex Brown
26-11-2013, 23:44
Welcome!

PETERTHEEATER
27-11-2013, 01:13
Welcome to AiX Soprano,

As REF says, there are still airfield remains to be found in you area. Do you have a list of WW2 airfields?

Simondob
28-11-2013, 21:16
Hi all, I'm Simon, live in South Lincs, been interested in aviation ( mainly bombers) for a very long time. Do enjoy wandering around old airfields, main haunt being North Witham, though occasionally make it to Folkingham.

Alex Brown
28-11-2013, 23:35
Hi Simon, welcome from another South Lincs resident!

kebecker
29-11-2013, 00:07
Hi Simon, welcome from another South Lincs resident!

And from an ex resident, welcome. Spent many an hour at NW

Alex Brown
29-11-2013, 14:29
Welcome to the forum

Norman Smith
30-11-2013, 17:27
Hi Everyone.

I live in Pollington which is next to the old RAF Snaith.

Our local pub The Kings Head which used to be the watering hole for the crews at the field would like to aquire something from a Lancaster that can be placed on the wall as a memorial to the brave men and women who served there.

We do not mind what it is or how bent as long as it can be placed on the wall.

Hoping for some help in this quest.

Norman.

Simondob
01-12-2013, 08:38
Cheers guys, sure I'll fit in somehow. Just reading through Lincs aifield forums at present, amazing whats still lurking in the undergrowth!

Mayfly
03-12-2013, 14:52
Latest ones just gone in the post - hope you enjoy.

netcompsys
05-12-2013, 11:54
Just dropped through the letterbox. Nice article about metheringham watch office.

Thanks

Kevin

manxterberg
11-12-2013, 20:45
Just found this forum,very interesting too.I worked in No 2 Hanger, EDPF (electronic data processing flight) at RAF Feltwell 1960-1963,Thor days.In spite of Feltwell being a bit remote I have fond memories of the place.Hope I can supply a bit of input.

Chris

airfields man
11-12-2013, 21:07
Message deleted by me at 21.05pm

P Bellamy
11-12-2013, 22:08
Welcome aboard Chris, I've been hoping you'd turn up.

Hangar 2 at Feltwell a few weeks ago:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/ramc181/Thor/Feltwell/TSH-1.jpg

More photos in this thread:
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?11644-RAF-Feltwell-Wing-HQ-amp-Bomber-Command-Ballistic-Missile-School

manxterberg
12-12-2013, 21:50
Welcome aboard Chris, I've been hoping you'd turn up.

Hangar 2 at Feltwell a few weeks ago:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/ramc181/Thor/Feltwell/TSH-1.jpg

More photos in this thread:
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?11644-RAF-Feltwell-Wing-HQ-amp-Bomber-Command-Ballistic-Missile-School

Hi PB,thanks.
I've got fond memories of my time at Feltwell,July 1960-November 1963.The above photo of 2 Hangar brings back memories as does the one showing the front,our section was to the left of the main entrance with our own teleprinter room attached at the rear. No Coke machine in those days though and I don't remember the blast shutters.The Nitrogen trailers were parked directly opposite and always one or two away to BOC Bilston each day.
I shall do a bit more perusing,wish I'd got some photos,only got the colour ones of Thor at Scampton taken in 1963.I will post them if you want.

Chris

Peter Kirk
13-12-2013, 13:02
Welcome to the forum. We have a few Thor experts on the forum.

PETERTHEEATER
13-12-2013, 13:45
Welcome to AiX manxterberg.

Ah, the wonders of the punched card accounting system. Did you have any female civilians working in the section?

Wreckdiver
13-12-2013, 16:45
Just found this forum and so registered. Just to say hi and introduce myself. Name here is Steve Cain and currently living in Chippenham, Wiltshire. I'm ex RAF, 1978 to 1987 ground radio Cpl. LTECH/AF and spent most of my time at Chivenor and later 4FTS Valley and Mona. If there's anyone who remembers me please get in touch.

Cheers, Steve :p

Peter Kirk
13-12-2013, 18:27
Welcome to the forum Steve. I assume you also dive wrecks?

PETERTHEEATER
15-12-2013, 09:39
Welcome to AiX wreckdiver

Do you have any photographs during your service time that you can share in the Chivenor, Valley or Mona threads AiX?

andyg7560
15-12-2013, 19:28
My names Andy I come across this group while looking for something else I now live in Barnsley South Yorks but grew up around the Lincoln.
I used to ride bikes/motorbikes along the old runways of Fiskerton airfield with my mates back in the 70,s I was also a member of the local ATC sqn (204)and this developed into a forty odd year passion for all things aviation,
I am mainly into airshow/museum photography but a recent visit to the now fading Binbrook made me think that these old airfields need documenting for the future before they are gone for ever.
I look forward to posting my views/photos and asking questions of this group

drp419
15-12-2013, 22:30
My name is Daryl, I live in Grantham and I'm a bus driver. No jokes please - I've heard 'em all.

I've been an aviation fan since the year dot.....my dad was 22 years in the R.A.F. and spent most of my time at Halton - went there a couple of years ago for the first time in about 10 years, and couldn't believe the legoland village that has built up around where the hospital used to be.

I was with the air cadets there as well, and flew 1 solo from the airfield, which I was very chuffed with.

I am an ex-plastic modeller and now spend a lot of my time helping in the creation of scenery for old airfields in Flight Simulator 2004, which is where this site will come in extremely handy - totally selfish I know, but hey it serves a purpose.

Have looked through many of the pictures on here, and can honestly say that I am quite saddened by the sight of the state of some airfields, and truly believe that our heritage is worth saving, in some form or another.

Cheers for now
Daryl

bvs
15-12-2013, 22:36
Welcome to the forum Daryl !
I soloed at Spitalgate in 1969 and in 70 -72 I was a part time instructor at Halton whilst I was an apprentice there : ).
Both great places to fly !!

Alex Brown
16-12-2013, 00:02
Hello Andy and welcome :)

As you may have noticed Binbrook has declined significantly over the last few years...

PETERTHEEATER
16-12-2013, 07:53
Welcome Daryl. No need to apologise about using what you see to improve flight simulator games it all helps to perpetuate airfield history.

Did you hear the one about the bus driver and the actress............

40groupGESO
16-12-2013, 13:56
I found this website due to engaging an ecologist who could see bats that no one else could. He must have a most unusual radar. He was expected to survey a 2 bed bungalow roof space that was double sealed and 100% clear of bats. Instead he introduced me to his vision of 40 bats based on less than a teaspoon of mature droppings. I was not born yesterday but nearly 82 years ago!!!!!!!!! He probably saves droppings.

He claimed that he was involved with RAF Bicester being developed. My investigations led to www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/ and all our yesterdays. What a lovely place Bicester was. Grove was closing down. Warrant Officer at Command visited us in the Orderly Room and had worked with my collegue Ralph Binstead and said "I'll find you a nice posting Ralph." In the end Ralph agreed to stay on as all my "passengers" to the south had been posted. The official closure was 1st December. If I had stayed on I would have had 23 days to do????????????

Ron Ware

Alex Brown
17-12-2013, 00:38
Hello Ron, welcome!

Sorry to hear about your invisible bats, I think!

Peter Kirk
17-12-2013, 11:15
Welcome to the forum. I dare say it wouldn't have been unheard of for bat droppings to appear as circumstances dictate.

jyco22
18-12-2013, 14:44
hi, my name is Jean-Yves, 65 yo, retired engineer. i live in "bretagne", near Dinan.
with a group of model makers, we prepare a diorama 1/48 of an imaginary WWII RAF base. Oakington is our historic reference. This project will be presented for the remembrance of the liberation of France.
today we have in assembly 31 planes. all planes were lost in Brittany beetwen 1940 and 1944. wy use the database from "ABSA 39-45".
found this forum, registred, i look for informations and documentations on WWII RAF airfields.
more informations on :
http://fighters.forumactif.com/f16-diorama
http://aeromaquette.forumactif.fr/f18-le-diorama

(excuses for my english !)
Jean-Yves

steviecee
18-12-2013, 17:19
hello All,
I am new to the Forum and trying to find out how many airfields there are in Eastern Europe. Is there a website where I can get this information?
many thanks for your help

Richard Flagg
18-12-2013, 19:06
Welcome Steviecee, I think forum member RonaldV has a website for the lost airfields of Europe but its quite new so I don't know how far progressed he is with it yet.

Please feel free to post your research up on the forum though, we have sections of European Airfields and it'd be great to see some more info about the Eastern European ones.

Cheers

Richard

Alex Brown
18-12-2013, 23:51
Hello and welcome :)

Paul Francis did a recent full historical survey of all the buildings left at Oakington before they were demolished, it may be of interest to you?

PETERTHEEATER
19-12-2013, 08:55
Bonjour Jean-Yves and welcome to AiX.

A 1/48 scale diorama representing an airfield will be very large and full of detail and I look forward to seeing some images of your progress. It is most thoughtful of you and your fellow modellers to choose to honour the British involvement in the Liberation in such a visual manner.

PETERTHEEATER
19-12-2013, 09:00
Welcome to AiX steviecee

Does your query relate to active airfields or also disused and what timescale. Current or over a specified period? If you expand your question it may be easier for one of our members to respond.

jyco22
19-12-2013, 12:42
Hello and welcome :)

Paul Francis did a recent full historical survey of all the buildings left at Oakington before they were demolished, it may be of interest to you?

hi ! thanks ! i know this survey ! i its for us the "bible" !

our project is not historically exact, it is an imaginary airfield with planes of 1940 and others of 1944, with bombers and fighters !
There will be also a aeronaval base !
I shall post images !

regards

Jean-Yves

jyco22
19-12-2013, 13:36
Bonjour Jean-Yves and welcome to AiX.

A 1/48 scale diorama representing an airfield will be very large and full of detail and I look forward to seeing some images of your progress. It is most thoughtful of you and your fellow modellers to choose to honour the British involvement in the Liberation in such a visual manner.

hi ! this project is difficult and have big size.

Some members of the team work on planes, others on buildings, others on vehicles, others on the AA.

my mean work is the aeronaval base. i prepare also two planes : supermarine walrus (crashed in june 1940) et hawker hurricane lost in 1943.

overview of the project :
http://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/18/61/50/75/oaking13.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=32&u=18615075)

regards
Jean-Yves

PETERTHEEATER
19-12-2013, 13:57
Thanks Jean Yves, I look forward to seeing the progress.

AndyG4
28-12-2013, 15:40
Hi

New on here just completed my registration, like what I have seen so far and look forward to reading and taking part in discussions, Have a real interest in Home Counties and Cambs/Lincs airfields!

Andy

airfields man
28-12-2013, 21:38
Hi Andy, Welcome to the Forum :grin: my main airfield interests are also Lincs, East Anglia and Yorkshire. Hope that you find and can contribute to your inclusion.

Ron.b
28-12-2013, 22:52
Hello to you all and thank you for having me. I look forward to reading and hopefully contributing to the various threads.

Alex Brown
28-12-2013, 23:11
You're very welcome Ron, thanks for joining us

Alex Brown
28-12-2013, 23:13
Welcome to the forum Andy

Whereabouts in the country are you?

maddy
29-12-2013, 14:01
Hi All. I'm Jan, and I live near Mablethorpe. I am doing research on RAF Strubby, and anything connected to it during the ww2 years.
I am interested to hear about anything to do with station personnel, buildings, and mess sites.

bvs
29-12-2013, 15:06
Hi Jan
Welcome to the forum,I am sure you will find lots of interesting stuff here and maybe have some interesting stuff for us ?

rgds baz

maddy
29-12-2013, 16:44
Hi Jan
Welcome to the forum,I am sure you will find lots of interesting stuff here and maybe have some interesting stuff for us ?

rgds baz

Hi Baz,
I only have some photos taken this year of the airfield, and have noticed some already on the site.

Cheers.Jan

Mayfly
30-12-2013, 21:24
Hi Maddy, I know Mablethorpe well, spent most of my youth there.

deeppurple6
31-12-2013, 17:51
Hello all - and all the best or 2014 :D

Alex Brown
31-12-2013, 18:16
Hello all - and all the best or 2014 :D

Hello and welcome to the forum, and a very happy new year to you too!

:D

bvs
31-12-2013, 22:23
Indeed - Happy new year - welcome DP6

airfields man
02-01-2014, 18:44
A Happy New Year from me too. :D

PETERTHEEATER
04-01-2014, 07:45
Welcome to AiX Ron.B.

From your avatar I assume that you are a Canberra aircraft fan?

gregh
04-01-2014, 14:37
Hi all, just a few words to introduce myself. Greg, 44, Cardiff. I am the historian to the 100 Squadron Association, and am currently involved in re-writing the history of the squadron in time for the 100th anniversary of its formation in February 2017. I've joined here as I'm sure that during the course of writing the book I'll be looking for help on some of the airfields that 100 Squadron have been based at during their existence!!

Additionally I hope to be able to offer some help occasionally - I have most of the station and Base ORBs for all the 1 Group airfields between 1940 and 1945, and am happy to do look-ups for anyone looking for information.

airfields man
05-01-2014, 00:46
Hi Greg, welcome to the forum. Looks like you have plenty of interest..

bvs
05-01-2014, 09:43
Hi Greg
Welcome to the forum !
I was never on 100 sqn,but we still get the occasional visit from one of their Hawks at BD!
In the mid 70's I was based just down the peri track from the 'Boneyard' at Marham (I was on 231ocu) - where they (100 sqn) had a very eclectic collection of different Marks of Canberra - and in the early days I think some of them had the 85 sqn 'thruppeny bit' badge still on the fins : )
rgds baz

Peter Kirk
05-01-2014, 09:45
Welcome to the forum. That's a lot of history to write about!

bvs
05-01-2014, 10:01
Hi Ron - Welcome to the forum from a fellow canberra fan : )

Taff71
05-01-2014, 20:12
Hello all,
Joined to assist / source information on and about RAF Woodhall Spa.

Currently doing some work on the airbase (post WWII).

Regards,
Taff

Alex Brown
05-01-2014, 21:45
Hi Taff, welcome to the forum.

The main Woodhall Spa thread is here: http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?655-Woodhall-Spa&highlight=woodhall

There are a few other bits and pieces dotted around the site here as well to do with the memorials etc.

I went to the 1940s weekend at Woodhall last year, the ARG had a stand there. It's seemed like a rather pleasant place.

gregh
06-01-2014, 14:45
Thanks all for the warm welcome :)

Baz - yes, the squadron had a proper hotch-potch of different marks in the 70s!! To all on 100 at the time, 85 Squadron was known as "8 to 5" and a lot of (mostly) friendly rivalry existed between the two. I have copies of some of the squadron newsletters from 192 and 1973, and the banter aimed towards 85 in them is pretty relentless :grin: Excuse my ignorance, but where is "BD"?

All the best,

Greg

mawganmad
06-01-2014, 15:20
Welcome Greg.
I'm a fan and historian of the 'Magnificent 7' that were at St Mawgan, same odd mix of TT.18s, B.2s, T.4s and the ex 85 sqn T.19s as 'Tatty Ton' were using!

PETERTHEEATER
07-01-2014, 10:14
Welcome Taff71,

If you are doing post-WW2 research you might come across the function of the modified building in the bomb store as discussed in the Woodhall Spa thread.

gregh
07-01-2014, 16:58
Thanks Mawganmad :-) I'm guessing you have the book "The Long Drag" by Don Evans, there's some peachy photos of 7 Squadron Canberras in it!! Out of curiosity, is it just the Canberra period you're interested in, or the whole of 7 Squadron's history?

bvs
07-01-2014, 21:30
Hi Greg BD = Boscombe Down !(sorry lazy typing on my part ; )
Yes some of the guys on the Boneyard at Marham were ex 85 so the banter continued for some time LOL

cheers baz

gregh
08-01-2014, 00:10
Thanks Baz!! I've just been doing some reading tonight on W/C Dave Holford, one-time C.O. of 100 and something of a 1 Group celebrity in the first half of WW2. He also spent some time at BD (see what I did there?!) flight-testing the Warwick in, I think, early 1943.

Thanks again :-)

gregh
08-01-2014, 15:21
I do believe Mablethorpe, or at least the skies above it, were the rendezvous point for 1 Group aircraft to form up and make height before setting out across the North Sea in WW2 :-)

Michele
08-01-2014, 20:47
I am new here and desperately seeking help tracing records of an incident involving a Blenheim IV serial YH-P6954 on 28th July 1941 swanton morley . The incident is in the book by Chorley but cant find any records in the orbs for squadron 21 raf bomber command . Can anyone help?

Paul Francis
08-01-2014, 20:53
Hi and welcome. You could try the station ORB?

Taff71
10-01-2014, 17:56
Thankyou all,

I am doing the activity on 21 Jan. Three areas: Petwood Hotel, RAF Woodhall itself and the bomb store in Ostlers. The bomb store is my stand as I have not got an expert to talk on it, so hopefully come up with some material so many thanks for the links.

Info: I will also post images of the LCP if anyone would like them up here?

Taff

bvs
10-01-2014, 20:29
Hi Michele
You could register on the 'RAF Commands Forum' and ask on there - some very knowledgable guys on there !

rafcommands.com

rgds baz

Activat
11-01-2014, 00:01
Hello. A brief history and family history.
My father was ex RAF just after the war, never detailed what unit but stores/motor transport is all I can guess. He was involved with recovery of some of our ordnance from Holland. Later he worked at Heathrow prior to BAA being formed and related odd tales one of being chased off a taxiway by an Air India Constellation whilst on sweeper duty... close enough to loose the radio antenna.

As for me I remember early visits to Heathrow in the early 60s, watching BEA Argosys climbing out over Kingston from home and an early visit to Thorney Island and watching a Beverly flying the circuit, and several Argosys parked up for the weekend. Joined the local ATC Squadron underage and never looked back. Visits to the big Abingdon display, Chivenor (hunter ocu), Scampton (Vulcans), Fairford (C130s and Concorde) and my final camp, out to RAFG Gutersloh with a day trip to the Mohne dam. Well that paired the dambuster links together.
'71 saw me chasing apprenticeships BAC Weybridge declined -too young, BOAC dropped me early but BEA gave me the thumbs up. Viscounts, the merchant Vanguards and all (post Papa India's Staines incident) BEAs Tridents. The incoming and outgoing of the Tristars. I moved off of aircraft as the 737s arrived and left in '81.
My Mother and future stepfather were working at Hawkers Kingston during that period.
Moved down to Gosport a couple of years later finding work at Vosper Thorneycroft and then returned to aviation in '89 with Dan Air at Lasham, leaving there as FLS sold us on to ATC.
Fleetlands were interested, security clearance took ages, nearly walked away but finally came through. 17 years of Lynx and Gazelles finally got too much and I was ready to get out. The Vector take over and sell out to EADS wasn't giving a great promise to the future. Won a redundancy check and took a summer off.
Currently I'm playing with Britten Norman on the Lee on Solent airfield, building and maintaining Islanders and Defenders. Many of the staff are keen historians either on their types worked on and/or locations.

As for some local urban myths;
Fleetlands does have a scrap pit but only light spares that was in-filled at Foxbury point by the pier, instruments and paint. A slight radiation background is evident 60 day and you have a full count :(
Grange/ Sultan as it now is, alleged aircraft pit near the community dump on Grange Road?
Back to Lasham. Opposite the Dans/ATC hangers as you walk into the woods, service issue shoes were often seen on the ground, belief of scrap pits in the fields behind the gliding club hangers but not yet found.

Regards
Alan

Harboda77
11-01-2014, 08:43
Morning Alan & Welcome.

I also visited the Mohne dam while working in Duisberg during 1980 and they were a lot smaller than I had been expecting ~ I had been expecting to see dams like those in the Elan valley. I remember there had been a big debate going on in the UK that the whole dambusters raid had been a waste of men and resourse however a local engineers Father who had been a school boy at the time told us that it had caused major disruption and that a lot of defensive resourses had to be assigned to the area after the raid. He could not understand the mentallity of those talking the raid down and told us that they should be sent to the Eastern Front if they wanted to talk about wasted men and resouses.

Before I departed from Duisberg he took me along to a reunion of German Tank Core survivors from the eastern front and they related how that this had been their equivalent of the Somme but without any memorials to their departed comrades.

Heathrow in the 1960's had been an aircraft registration recorders dream place and it had been a lot easier to gain access to restricted areas than now seems even possible ~ must have been a dream.

We travelled down from Oxford each weekend and had to wait in the Nine Pin Bowling Alley too be collected on Sunday ( Next to the old Ariel Hotel )

Your comment about apprenticeships had been very true once the government changed around 1964 ~ A relative of mine belonged to a BAA social club at Heathrow ( ? ) and he told us many years later that all of the aircraft manufacturers representatives, who used to drop in for a ' Short and Chat ' if they were in transit, estimated that we would be out of the aircraft industry as a major player within 15 years.

PETERTHEEATER
11-01-2014, 08:46
Welcome Activat; I read a few of your posts already and hope to see more of your activity.

BDU
15-01-2014, 09:51
Ive been intrested in all things military for quite a long time ie RAF,NAVY,ARMY, CIVIL DEFENCE,etc . I was a member of the Defence of Britain project until it`s cease I logged many a structure weather it was surface or sub surface . Ive worked 20yrs in the MOD in various depts. My last post before finishing was with 5131 BD SQN we were tasked to clear ex military bases before they where put up for sale. Ive worked all over the UK and gained a lot of useless imformation which am willing to pass on .

PETERTHEEATER
15-01-2014, 09:55
Welcome to AiX BDU, I am ex 5131 BD Sqn and superplum also.

Information 'useless' to you can be another persons treasure so don't hold back:)

Richard Flagg
15-01-2014, 19:16
Indeed, welcome BDU, great to see you on here and I look forward to seeing some more of your posts with interest.

If you have any photos you are willing to share there are a couple of easy ways of posting them, deailed here;
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?12239-Image-posting-(As-Attachments)

and here;
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?12240-Image-posting-(Direct-linking-from-Facebook)

bvs
15-01-2014, 20:18
Hi BDU - welcome and look forward to your posts

Dixon Nicholson
15-01-2014, 21:17
Hi all, have recently discovered your website and are involved with some of the remaining RAF buildings at Lissett. I have been told the site we are involved with was the officers accommodation there are numerous buildings and I am wondering if there were any site plans available to view, that would give us the exact building uses instead of us just guessing and also what buildings have disappeared. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Met the member "Bomber" on site last summer - thank you for the information about this website.

Bomber
15-01-2014, 21:47
Hi Dixon ,Glad to have met you last summer & welcome to the forum .I am sure some one on here will have information on where to get the information on the site plans .
Regards ,
Bomber .

David Thompson
15-01-2014, 21:49
Hello Dixon and welcome to the forum .

Everything you need to know and more about obtaining airfield plans are here ;
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?8699-Where-to-get-Airfield-maps&highlight=airfield+site+plans

Plus of course the existing Lissett thread should be of use or interest ;

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?54-Lissett

Good luck !

mr linny
16-01-2014, 18:04
hi dixon i to have an involvement with some of the remaining RAF buildings at Lissett and we might no each other :-D

Peter Kirk
16-01-2014, 19:32
Welcome BDU. My main interest is bombing and gunnery ranges up to the start of the V bomber era. I did consult the DoB database a few years back and noticed that some range quadrants were listed as bunkers or similar whilst others were listed correctly but some were not listed at all. It was one of the reasons I set about compiling a list of all sites both extant and demolished. I assume they were out of scope.

Hugh
17-01-2014, 07:47
Hello to all !

I am a former RAF Armourer (1980 - 2002) and did my final 6 years on 5131 (BD) Sqn. Ops

Now retired and living in sunny California! Still working with UXO clearance and ordnance related things. Its in the blood you know!

Hugh

WJT
17-01-2014, 08:06
Hello Hugh. Wecome to AiX. You may have already gathered that there a several of your breed here so I'm sure you will be made welcome.

Issues of range clearance and bomb dump procedures etc are regular topics of discussion so we will look forward to your input.

PETERTHEEATER
17-01-2014, 09:00
Welcome to AiX Hugh'

I am also an expat ex RAF Armourer and ex 5131 BD 1964 - 1967.

Plenty of interesting topics on the Forum. If you look at the forum topic list you should find something of interest.

Activat
17-01-2014, 18:44
Sorry I forgot my flying days.

With the ATC we often went to White Waltham for Chipmunk flying, 3 or 4 times I think, must find my log book. '68-71.
I think parts of Faireys were still based there as well as Ferranti. Gliding I got one trip down to Tangmere.

'72 I was introduced to civil flying at Biggin Hill with the Air Touring Club an offshoot of Air Touring Services the importer of the Rally series aircraft and the MBB Bo209 Munsun. Based in building 205 (I believe), originally a single frontage hanger and clubhouse/office. (Now showing a later additional hanger of the same size).
First solo'd in Feb of 73 and got to 3 and a half hours solo time on the club aircraft. During the early days I was more or less hitching rides for a round of coffees, a trip into Gatwick was a highlight, often trips out to Headcorn/Lashenden as the beginnings of a club was forming there. The clubhouse was the old pigsty! well washed out. On one occasion during SPL days I had a stretched lesson flying down to Headcorn playing "tower" for an hour for the local student then completing my lesson on the way back.
A club tour planned to go out to Ostende got cancelled at Lydd so we replanned headed of to Shoreham for lunch then hopped across to Bembridge for a couple of hours then returning back to Biggin. I gave up flying as I'm Neg Gee sensitive and tend to freeze up and felt sadly that it was something I wouldn't beat.

The 100HP MS880B were my normal toys but did get to run a ride in the Munsun to Goudhurst (no airfield there), My Uncle had kennels and a good size plot of land so it was a cross country/map reading exercise just prior to formally taking lessons so it never got logged. A missed entry :(, I'm sure there are few pilot entries under type says Messersmitt!

Whilst waiting around to fly I often explored the edge of the woods and other hanger behind the club finding old dispersal pens(?) and areas that something had been burnt but not airwreck remains.

Touching the "Biggin" pages on page 1 is a reference to the second "greenhouse" tower, this was the GA tower the other main was still ministry linked at that time and was only used for the shows or something "special".

Don't remember using the middle runway, generally only used the short one but on the return from Gatwick we were on the edge of dusk and were given the long runway with lights also with the instruction to land well down and not on the threshold as the "greenhouse" couldn't see the far end.

Raymond Baxter often during the airshow commentaries remarked on aircraft staying low and dropping down into the valley "being members of the down in the valley club". Practice engine failures gave us extra space to recover and as such yes I've been down there, not a lot to say about it apart from a long climb up to rejoin the circuit.

Alan

ancientarmourer
17-01-2014, 20:47
Welcome Hugh. Ex armourer 1955-1995. 6219 BD Flt Swanton Morley 1963-65.

superplum
17-01-2014, 22:54
Welcome Hugh. Ex armourer 1955-1995. 6219 BD Flt Swanton Morley 1963-65.

Welcome to the fold from another retired armourer (no such thing as an ex-armourer!) 1960-2005. There'll soon be more of us on here than air-traffickers!

Mayfly
18-01-2014, 10:42
Welcome

You can add me to list to 1972 -1989 :D

mr linny
18-01-2014, 20:34
hi:p they are a few ex Armourers on here

ColinBa
19-01-2014, 19:41
This is an amazing site, one of the few where you can find five armourers on one page claiming to read and write.

Chris Lowe
19-01-2014, 20:01
Welcome to the site Hugh.

Looks like this thread is becoming the plumbers club. :-D

Maybe we should have an area for the various trades to swop notes.

tonybz
19-01-2014, 22:38
Just a quick note re myself,not ex services,just interested in what I'm interested in,if you understand. A resident of Perton,the former airfield and I work close to Pendeford,another local former airfield. In the summer I visit 4 or 5 museums. I only joined to comment on the perton thread and the existing buildings here. Tony

PETERTHEEATER
20-01-2014, 13:35
Welcome Tony, as you will see from the forum 'menu' we cover many military related sites so you should find something to interest you and comment.

tonybz
20-01-2014, 19:53
Thanks Peter,I'll be popping in from time to time and trawling through the site

Exscouse
22-01-2014, 08:12
Hello, I stumbled across this Airfield group searching for Blyth Bridge and Rootes aircraft factory. At the end of 1939, my late father, C E Hill, was sent to"open an aircraft factory in Blyth Bridge, Staffs. I know the date is correct because I have my parents old rent book! My father died suddenly in July 1943 and his Death Certificate listed him as Aicraft Inspector. As I was quite young I know very little of his life there, but can add some information about the airfield as I went to school at the Mier Primary and Junior schools until 1946. The Primary school was on the same road as the airfield and the high chimneys of this old Victorian building used to rattle and shake when aircraft passed very low overhead for landing. On one Sunday, possibly 1943 or 44, Mother took us for a walk past the school and we saw a crashed aircraft just over the airfield fence, it was a twin boomed Lightning and we mistook the belly tanks for possible bombs. I have driven past this in 2000 when the highway construction made it impossible to stop, but know it has all changed. I would love to find out more about my father's roll at Blyth Bridge but have hit a brick wall.

I have another memory of an aircraft display at Stoke Town Hall in 1943, I could write about that if there is interest.
Thanks for the site.
Exscouser.

Mattb
22-01-2014, 08:30
Just a quick hello.

New here. Ex RAF (asmt) 2003-2007 not a long time but an effin great time!
Keen interest in airfields and british military in all.

Hugh
22-01-2014, 08:48
Hello everyone!

Its great to find so many Plumbers in one place outside facebook!

wonderful to meet you all !

PETERTHEEATER
22-01-2014, 10:48
The difference is, we're in the right place.........

Alex Brown
22-01-2014, 12:05
Just a quick hello.

New here. Ex RAF (asmt) 2003-2007 not a long time but an effin great time!
Keen interest in airfields and british military in all.

Hello Matt, welcome to the forum

Harboda77
22-01-2014, 12:19
Welcome exscouse ~ when part of my Grandfathers family moved across from Ireland in 1920 they relocated to Speke.

One small point of clarification ~ I assume that your referencing Blythe Bridge in Staff's and not Blyth Bridge in Scotland ?

I've seen it written as both ' BlytheBridge ' and ' Blythe Bridge ' which one is the correct local spekking ?

Dave.

Exscouse
23-01-2014, 05:49
Thank you Harboda77 for the correction. It is of course in Staffs and spelt Blythe Bridge,(ref. Geographia A1 Atlas of Stoke on Trent & Newcastle under Lyme).
I should have mentioned in my first post the my Mother had always said that my father was one of seven men sent to BB in 1939 from Liverpool, though we never met or heard of the others. We leased a house in Weston Rd, Western Coyney and father drove to work in his Ford Tudor, 8 HP, using a petrol allowance as there was no other transport to BB.
Exscouser.

PETERTHEEATER
23-01-2014, 08:34
Welcome to AiX Mattb. What airfields are near to your location.

Mattb
23-01-2014, 08:53
Thanks.

I've got Finningley, Lindholme, Misson site, Bircotes, Doncaster,
And an extra few miles there's Snaith, Burn, Breighton Hemswell, Worksop.

PETERTHEEATER
23-01-2014, 08:57
Misson is interesting because of the WW2 practice bombing range area and the amazing amount of munitions found dumped there during clearance by RAF Bomb Disposal. The Bloodhound site was built to the west of the range area. The wooded area existing today is post war plantation.

fastaviationdata
23-01-2014, 09:03
Hello! Welcome to AIX!

Mattb
23-01-2014, 09:04
Yeah I've noticed a few strangely named fields around there.
One apptly named "old bombing range field"

Dave Smith
23-01-2014, 12:56
Welcome to the Forum! I have the details of a Lightning accident at Meir in 1944 but I'm away from home for the next few days so can't look them up for you until I get back. Quite a lot is known about Rootes activities at Blythe Bridge, some of it on the Meir thread on this forum, I think.

Exscouse
24-01-2014, 04:32
Thanks Dave, do you know where staff records for Rootes BB would be please? I'm desperate to find out more about my father! The Lightning accident is interesting too.
Exscouse now in Oz

Welcome to the Forum! I have the details of a Lightning accident at Meir in 1944 but I'm away from home for the next few days so can't look them up for you until I get back. Quite a lot is known about Rootes activities at Blythe Bridge, some of it on the Meir thread on this forum, I think.

barblemick1
25-01-2014, 01:05
hi my dad was brian j rapier and i hold alot of information about a book he was writting,could anyone tell me how important gisela is please,many thanks mick

Alex Brown
25-01-2014, 02:02
hi my dad was brian j rapier and i hold alot of information about a book he was writting,could anyone tell me how important gisela is please,many thanks mick

Welcome Mick

Some discussion here: http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?3564-Melbourne-Ten-Brian-J-Rapier

It seems as though the Gisela book was hotly anticipated as far back as the 80s but I assume he wasn't able to complete it, from what you have written?

barblemick1
25-01-2014, 11:18
hi the book was never written as my dad became to ill but there is alot of information and letters about gisela.
from what i have looked through so far,gisela is partly written.
I remember there been a big fuss about the book been written,is the information i have important to aviation history

airfields man
25-01-2014, 13:41
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/airfieldsman/Number%203%20Album/Saltby0060_zpsd33d3865.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/airfieldsman/media/Number%203%20Album/Saltby0060_zpsd33d3865.jpg.html)

I bought this booklet in 1996 from East Kirkby.

Alex Brown
25-01-2014, 19:39
hi the book was never written as my dad became to ill but there is alot of information and letters about gisela.
from what i have looked through so far,gisela is partly written.
I remember there been a big fuss about the book been written,is the information i have important to aviation history

I would imagine that it would be of significant interest yes... Would it be possible for the ARG Archive to acquire a copy please?

WJT
26-01-2014, 06:04
Hi Barblemick1: Welcome to AiX. White Rose Base - iconic.

Bill

Saul G
26-01-2014, 19:52
Hi All
Thought it best to say hello and introduce myself.

My interest in old airfields is down to my grand farther being a pilot in the Fleet Air Arm (WWII ) he used to take me around old airfields when I was a kid and would tell me about flying Corsairs etc
I now live in Edinburgh and have Drem, Macmerry & East Fortune airfields close by and have been doing plenty of exploring and thought this would be a great place to find out more about them :)

cheers
Saul

Alex Brown
26-01-2014, 20:47
Hello Saul, welcome to the forum

ianbache
26-01-2014, 20:59
Hi Saul,
Welcome to the forum, if you have anything to share please post away.

Regards Ian

mr linny
26-01-2014, 21:15
now then my old pal :lol:

Peter Kirk
26-01-2014, 22:43
Welcome. I have already replied to your ranges question. Did your grandfather leave any records of his service? My main interest is ranges and the Fleet Air Arm is the least recorded range wise.

Mike-hawes
27-01-2014, 01:00
Hi all just joined the site,after being told how good it is.love all things military,old to new.guess it is from being from two serving parents and being born in an raf hospital.cant wait to read the forums and find out lots of information.

Edward C
27-01-2014, 01:01
Welcome Mike,

Good to see you onboard!

Ed

Mike-hawes
27-01-2014, 01:03
Thank you very much.

Richard Flagg
27-01-2014, 01:04
Welcome Mike, good to have you on the forum and I look forward to seeing your posts.

Cheers

Rich

Mike-hawes
27-01-2014, 01:06
Thank you Richard.will get use to the feel of the site then get involved more.

Saul G
27-01-2014, 01:14
Hi PNK

My grandfather was based in the US, most of the training I know of was based around Brunswick, Maine.
He lives in Cumbria near Silloth on the Solway ( AKA Hudson Bay ) there was plenty of FAA practice going on in that area of the Solway but I'm sure you know all about that one.

Cheers
Saul

Alex Brown
27-01-2014, 01:32
Welcome to the forum Mike.

Which RAF hospital, out of interest?

PETERTHEEATER
27-01-2014, 14:30
Welcome to AiX Mike, do you have any specific interests aviation/military?

Peter Kirk
27-01-2014, 14:43
Hi PNK

My grandfather was based in the US, most of the training I know of was based around Brunswick, Maine.
He lives in Cumbria near Silloth on the Solway ( AKA Hudson Bay ) there was plenty of FAA practice going on in that area of the Solway but I'm sure you know all about that one.

Cheers
Saul

The Solway was mainly RAF ranges, the FAA had a few in the Fleetwood area but may have shared the RAF ones, although this is not recorded anywhere. As I'm still looking for all the FAA ranges it could be that I'm missing some. In some lists the ranges for FAA air stations were named after the air station so impossible to locate without any grid references or lat/long. It's still fun looking though and I am still finding "new" ranges after 4 years of research!

Peter