PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Photos of the Republic of Ireland

PNK
08-02-2009, 12:24
The OSI website now includes aerial photos from 2000 and 2005.

The viewer can be found here http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx

To get the aerial photos you have to zoom in to 1:5000 or more.

hugoj_air
28-02-2009, 01:33
The OSI website now includes aerial photos from 2000 and 2005.

The viewer can be found here http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx

To get the aerial photos you have to zoom in to 1:5000 or more.

Thanks Peter,

As you know I live in the Republic. I would never bother to open the OSI web site in the past because it was basically a load of s**t, absolutely useless. So your link came as a total SHOCK
:shock: :shock: . A very plesent shock for a change. Had a look, while not quite as sharp as
the UK aerial providers. It's a vast improvment on what was available before. I am now happy because at long last I can zoom down to any field in Ireland!!.
Again Peter thanks. How did you come across it.

Hugo.

PNK
28-02-2009, 03:14
Hugo,

I regularly do Google searches and even though the same thing is entered something new always crops up. This was one of them. The unfortunate thing is it usually on page 45 or something of the Google results!
I assume you know that the Getmapping site has aerials of Northern Ireland now available.

hugoj_air
05-03-2009, 20:48
Hi Peter,

Two things happened after I found your link to osi aerials. I got so engrossed looking at the
aerial photos, locating strips and so on, (trig points ring a bell :lol: ) that I forgot to check back here and when I did remember, I forgot were on the forum it was. Anyway found your
post at last.
Ya, I've been checking out the Getmapping site for a few months and the two combined now give full aerial coverage of the whole island. While the Getmapping site is very welcome, I find it very awkward to use. At least the osi ste is much more user friendly. While the aerials on both leave a lot to be desired, they are a massive improvment on the very patchy coverage
offered by Google Earth.
Thanks again Peter.

Hugo.

PNK
05-03-2009, 23:07
No problem. I got stuck on trig points as well, no idea why!!

hugoj_air
05-11-2009, 21:20
http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx In case you haven't checked out this site lately. They have added 1995 B&W aerials (not great but could be useful) which I was glad to see as that suggests they intend to add "new" maps and aerials rather than delete some sections to make room for more. The 50000 and other large scale maps are still there, but difficult to locate when you need them. Also added are three historical maps, 25in (only covers habitable areas) a coloured? 6in and a B&W 6in. These last three date from around 1900. Obviously only the Republic of Ireland is covered.

Hugo.

PNK
05-11-2009, 23:19
Call me old fashioned but I prefer Black and White aerial photos. Some of the coloured ones look odd in tone.

The coverage has improved and the old maps cover the North as well. They pre-date airfields though. A pity the B & W aerials from 1995 don't stray across the border :)

The older maps in colour look good and I have often seen scans in the odd beige/pinkish hue. I suspect some of the colouring was not original to the map but present when they were scanned, although some does look to be original.

Very fast site compared to some online historic map sites.