PDA

View Full Version : Corsham - what is it?

TommyUSA
17-02-2009, 21:26
I recently (today) found out about the village of Corsham and its underground Defence facilities. Are these still in use? Are some/all/none visitable? What about RAF Box / Rudloe Manor - anything there?

Tom

Arcade Al
17-02-2009, 21:28
The SSR is/was located there. But don't tell anyone, it's a secret.

:wink:

PETERTHEEATER
19-02-2009, 10:02
I recently (today) found out about the village of Corsham and its underground Defence facilities. Are these still in use? Are some/all/none visitable? What about RAF Box / Rudloe Manor - anything there?

Tom

Tommy, the Corsham area is full of disused Bath stone underground quarries many of which were taken over by the War Department prior to WW2 for the storage of military munitions including RAF stocks. It would be impossible to summarise the vastness of the scheme but an excellent book which details it all is:

Secret Underground Cities by Nick J McCamley, ISBN 0-85052-585-3

andrewayers
19-02-2009, 10:23
hi tommy
the site at corsham covers 18 acres
there was a little fire there on wednesday 11th feb which burnt until sat/sun
they were pumping in nitrogen to starve the fire which was started by a electric
fork lifter as the area is 30m underground and the part where the fire took place
covers 5 acres it was not an easy job for the fire brigade
reports as usual say it contained no explosives but houses were evacuated
andrew

canberra
19-02-2009, 10:50
I think Rudloe Manor has closed, certainly the RAF units there which were the HQ of the RAF Police and the signals centre have closed or moved.

TommyUSA
19-02-2009, 20:04
Presumably, the following photograph is indicative of what went on at Corsham.

Found in the Archives of the United States, the photo is captioned "Cases of TNT gunpowder shipped from the USA under lend-lease are stacked in the dump in a tunnel 100 feet underground dug out of solid rock, in western England."

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww50/japercaper/powder.jpg

No smoking, fellas!

Tom