PDA

View Full Version : Promap

PNK
11-05-2009, 13:21
I don't know if anyone has used this site http://www.promap.co.uk/promap/index.jsp but it has the most amazing collection of OS maps from Victorian era to modern ones. The site requires registration and they contact you with a user ID and password. It is geared towards professionals, solicitors, estate agents etc but it does seem to allow researchers.
The maps cover most airfields at scales of 1:10560(now 1:10000), 1:2500 and 1:1250. The dates vary quite considerably though. Typically airfields closed just postwar start to appear from 1956 on and in almost wartime state. Active ones are invisible up to around 1970. Searching is done through the 1:50000 to 1:10000 scales maps (watermarked). Purchase can be quite expensive for a full airfield as each 1km square is around 10-15 but if you are selective then it can be quite useful. Payment is by invioce, usually on a monthly basis and can be paid online. All maps feature a very low res preview so you can see if the feature you are after is shown.
The site also has the Getmapping Aerial Photos (with a watermark) but as these are available at the same quality on Flash Earth it is not a problem. Others features are more geared to property questions such as the environmental checks.
Obviously copyright is a given but I think it is possible to get a licence to use maps in publications etc.

OneEighthBit
11-05-2009, 19:13
Obviously copyright is a given but I think it is possible to get a licence to use maps in publications etc.

Is it? My understanding is that all OS maps over 50 years old are Crown Copyright and out of copyright. I can understand them charging for a reproduction/access cost but not the right to reprint it in your own work?

PNK
11-05-2009, 19:20
I would agree. The majority of the maps of interest will be under fifty years though, mainly the 1960s onwards, though give it a few years....