PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEXICO - Holloman AFB

TommyUSA
11-05-2009, 13:39
Holloman AFB - RAF Bombing training site

A desert based US airfield, Holloman AFB had (has) a model of the German battleship Bismarck to train RAF pilots in recognition. It is near Tularosa, New Mexico.

It is made of dirt with wooden logs for the gun turrets. The Bismarck was sunk in May 1941 before the "adobe" Bismarck saw much use. It is still there today:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=33.07658&lon=-106.183593&z=17.5&r=0&src=msa

TommyU

Peter Kirk
11-05-2009, 16:16
Well I never! That is amazing. It must have taken a while to build if it's full size. I wonder when the photo was taken?

There is certainly a clarge expanse of nothing around there. Any idea what the parallel lines are to the south?

TommyUSA
11-05-2009, 17:08
Any idea what the parallel lines are to the south?

I assume they're rocket sled tracks, and their associated testing areas.

The Google Earth photo of the Bismarck model (33d 04'34.90" N - 106d 10'57.18" W) is dated Nov 10, 2006.

In addition to being an active airforce base, it is also a bombing, gunnery and missile test range. Lots of interesting stuff going on around there - like a German Luftwaffe training base! The Wikipedia entry for Holloman has all sorts of interesting info in it.

T

P Bellamy
13-05-2009, 00:52
I notice that it's a ship-shaped hole, rather than built up, except for the "superstructure" area.

Nice find Tommy! :D

TommyUSA
13-05-2009, 02:23
I notice that it's a ship-shaped hole, rather than built up, except for the "superstructure" area.
Nice find Tommy! :D

Thanks - and super-observant of you to notice it's dug out of the ground instead of built up! I hadn't picked that up. I was looking around the internet for some ground-level pictures but the site is part of the humongous White Sands Missile Range which is oh-so secret.

About 45 miles NNW (still part of the same base!) is the famous/infamous (depending on your point of view) Trinity site - where the first atomic bomb was tested. It's about 6.5 miles west of Oscura Peak if you're looking for it. About 13 miles WSW of Oscura is a rather odd tan-colored rectangle where they (army) took pains to erase whatever was there! Probably an atomic bomb blast site with soil cleanup afterwards. There are some bunkers on the east side of the area that were subjected to blasts (probably with soldiers in them!).

TommyU