PDA

View Full Version : Bramhall

Peter Kirk
07-06-2009, 14:12
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn128/PNK_album/Bramhall.jpg

Carnaby
10-06-2009, 22:58
Anyone know the date of this installation? I can't find it in any WWII AM or RN lists. It's mentioned here (http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_PublicNoticesAndInfoSheets&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_PROD1_023417).
Graham

Peter Kirk
11-06-2009, 20:48
I picked Bramhall from the audits section here http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=752

It does have a question mark maybe NP or Engineer can remember why? The list is dated September 1943 so it could have been added later?

Engineer
11-06-2009, 23:12
[quote="PNK"]I picked Bramhall from the audits section here http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=752

It does have a question mark maybe NP or Engineer can remember why?quote]

If I remember the question mark was for the name of the site, Bramhall being the nearest significant place.

The site was found by means other than the list.

PETERTHEEATER
13-06-2009, 08:28
Where is the subject Bramhall site?

EDIT: OK it's near Stockport, Manchester.

StreetMap shows a triple rail siding on the site just to the north of the triple tanks. Only the trace of the single siding coming in is visible in GE. What would have been the transfer pumping station appears derelict and unused.

But what is it's history? WW2 or post-war?

TNx1
21-01-2014, 16:17
Where is the subject Bramhall site?

EDIT: OK it's near Stockport, Manchester.

StreetMap shows a triple rail siding on the site just to the north of the triple tanks. Only the trace of the single siding coming in is visible in GE. What would have been the transfer pumping station appears derelict and unused.

But what is it's history? WW2 or post-war?They supplied Woodford Aerodrome by pipelines during the WW2 for the Lancaster Bombers and also for the cold war too. I was told the Vulcans bombers were to disperse from their R.A.F. bases to Woodford Aerodrome as the R.A.F. bases would of been hit first. Below is a photo of the locations with the Bramhall Fuel Depot ringed in yellow. 15420

click on photo to expand

jorge
21-01-2014, 17:43
I was told the Vulcans bombers were to disperse from their R.A.F. bases to Woodford Aerodrome as the R.A.F. bases would of been hit first.

Doesn't sound very sensible given how small Woodford was and thus how easy to render unservicable. Also fairly poor transport links to get the required personnel and equipment in.

Given it's importance as a manufacturing/service facility at the time it would have been high up the list for disabling anyway?

TNx1
22-01-2014, 14:35
Doesn't sound very sensible given how small Woodford was and thus how easy to render unservicable. Also fairly poor transport links to get the required personnel and equipment in.

Given it's importance as a manufacturing/service facility at the time it would have been high up the list for disabling anyway?I'm sorry, but I seem to have written that all Vulcans were to disperse to Woodford that is a mistake. I do know from old boys who worked there during the 50's-60's that it was a place where work was always being carried out on the airfield with underground bunkers and fuelling. The runway was owned my the MOD until sometime in the early 90's and was extended for the the Vulcan. There was also a munitions depot at the East side of the runway too. The munitions depot had a road that run along side the runway and also joined the A523 road. Woodford site was sold in 2011 and they are going to build 950 houses on the site so there will be fun and games when that starts this year :lol:

PETERTHEEATER
23-01-2014, 08:29
TNx1 -Thanks for your input on the Bramhall Aviation Fuel Depot. Of course, my query of five years ago was never closed off although I, and others on AiX went on to dig out many of the Reserve and Distribution Fuel Depots built during WW2 and they, including Bramhall, are under the appropriate sub-forum within AiX.

As to a 'munitions depot' east of Woodfords runway, (Hope Green end) there was a depot there during WW2 (and today with a commercial function) but it was not for the storage of munitions but was, I think, RAF related. Perhaps you or someone else could provide history?

TNx1
23-01-2014, 12:26
As to a 'munitions depot' east of Woodfords runway, (Hope Green end) there was a depot there during 2WW (and today with a commercial function) but it was not for the storage of munitions but was, I think, RAF related. Perhaps you or someone else could provide history?Hi Peter, the MU stores was built during 2WW and was something to do with the U.S. Airforce as far as I know. I did work at Woodford late 80's until 2002 when I took early retirement and when your working there you don't take much notice of what is around you as you should do. I have a colleague I worked with who worked there from the mid 70's and talked to many of the old boys about what went on there during the 2WW and 50's-60's and he helped a author a while back by giving him some of the stories he was told. I was only talking to him last week and he was telling me about a couple of fitters having a race down the runway road during the 70's and one of them went onto the grass and he was nearly killed when a 1" concrete reinforcing bar shot up through the bottom of his car and between his legs and through the car roof, the incident could not be reported as they would have both lost their jobs and the exit gate would have been closed as it was a short cut for workers getting out of work who worked at the south side of the airfield know as Flight sheds. The reinforcing bar was left over from many of the airfield developments from the 60's. I will try and find out some more info for you from my mate who worked there from the 70's.

Best wishes:)
Steve

EGNK
26-02-2014, 18:57
I have lived near to and worked at Woodford for many years . I remember the oil pipeline being laid from the East to Bramhall around 1960
The MU stores at the eastern end of the runway were originally used by the US Army in WW2 . The MU stores in my time were manned by Avro/Bae staff and contained parts for RAF aircraft. It is also interesting to note that there was a MAFF buffer store about 300 yards from the MU stores that contained food to be given to the smouldering survivors post strike.
I never came across any evidence that Woodford was any kind of V bomber dispersal airfield ,but we did get a visit from the US Army who surveyed the place for use in WW3 their main interest was how many people could be fed in the canteen.