PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth thread!

Richard Flagg
18-05-2008, 20:18
On this link there is a KML file you can download that will pin point most UK airfields
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06ai ... ukmenu.htm (http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06airfields/UK/ukmenu.htm)

If anyone has any interesting airfields bits on google earth then post them up on here!

Richard

Peter Kirk
09-05-2009, 17:29
It has been mentioned elsewhere but in case you haven't seen it the latest Google Earth has a roll back facility to show previously published Aerial Photos. For the UK this is around 1999 but don't forget coverage was poor then! Luckily when you zoom out you can see the aerial overlays.
There are aerials dating back to the 1940's in places like the US but I only found one covering some unkown location in Washington State and it was very small. Good luck with that one!!

One GE Scotland appears to have been updated and coverage now includes the Getmapping stock. The usual holes are still there and two that I would like to see are Dumfries and Edzell but I fear by the time they get coverage it will be too late.

On the plus side Kirkwall is now visible and I know a lot of you have been waiting for that. Also for you "Strips in ths Isles" folks a lot of the Orkney airfields are also visible but the Orkney coverage is limited so misses a few WW2 sites including the one that is rude in Manchester (specifically Bury but I won't go into that right now!)

If anyone has spotted anything else please post as although some will probably have found it other might not.

OneEighthBit
09-05-2009, 23:44
Any chance the forums mods can add "KMZ" and "KML" files to the list of allowed attachments and set say a 500k limit?

I've got a couple of cracking Google Earth files I want to share.

Peter Kirk
10-05-2009, 10:00
That would be very useful especially to go with the lists in the as built section.

Richard Flagg
10-05-2009, 10:41
Any chance the forums mods can add "KMZ" and "KML" files to the list of allowed attachments and set say a 500k limit?

I've got a couple of cracking Google Earth files I want to share.

OEB - I have changed the maximum file size to 500k, it might be worth trying to upload a file on a new audit thread and see if it works, any problems let us know!

OneEighthBit
10-05-2009, 15:53
When I try and attached the KMZ files directly I get a "File extension KMZ not allowed" message, so get around this I put the two KMZ files into a ZIP file. :)

I can't honestly remember where I found these and there is some overlap but they are probably the most comprehensive lists I've seen. Nicely sorted they cover not just airfields/aerodromes but SLG's, ELG's, decoys, HAA sites, etc, etc.

Peter Kirk
10-05-2009, 19:10
Many thanks. You are right it is by far the best I have seen. As it enables you to choose what to view you dont get a mass of differnt flags.
I am now removing the others I have that overlap.

Incidentally I was amazed at how many AA sites are still visible after all these years. A quick look at UKAerialphotos.com shows some of them in the postwar photos but others are mysteriously covered in the only cloud for miles!

OneEighthBit
11-05-2009, 04:12
Yeah I mentioned the "convenient" clouds in the thread I made about photo/map censorship. :D

Richard Flagg
11-05-2009, 13:30
I'm not sure how to allow the kmz files, I'll have another look but I don't think there is an option to allow certain file types. The zip file works well though

PETERTHEEATER
27-08-2009, 09:10
I am comfortable using GE but accept that there may be better 'viewers' out there.

But, managing Placemarks saved in .kmz or .kml is a real bind since it has to be done manually.

I have found only one utility available on-line which has the ability to 'sort' a limited number of files in a single folder but can't really get it to work satisfactorily.

Can anyone recommend alternatives?

AiXAdmin
27-08-2009, 10:51
Can anyone recommend alternatives?

I'll be releasing a little utility soon which should do this for you (amongst other things) ... I`ll post when it's ready.

Cheers
Dave

Peter Kirk
27-08-2009, 12:43
Dave,

That sounds good. I too have used the manual version.

I understand uploading lists is available in the Pro version of GE but that is very expensive. Other solutions also appear to cost as well so this sounds interesting.

PETERTHEEATER
28-08-2009, 06:13
Thanks Dave, but I am intrigued..............and look forward to your programme.

AiXAdmin
28-08-2009, 16:20
Will try to do some work on the geocoder utility and KML generator over the bank hols...

There's quite a few options for KML in addition to lat/long title and description - eg overlays/paths/polygons etc.

I can build these extra options in if anyone is interested, but preferably only if they are actually required.

Let me know...

Cheers
Dave

Peter Kirk
28-08-2009, 20:04
Without knowing how the other bits work it's difficult to decide whether they would be useful or not. Overlays and Polygons must require a bit of work first. Presumably the basics include Name, Lat, Long, Description and marker type?
It's a pity the NGR or Post Code can't be used as input as I tend not to use Lat/Lon due to the liklihood of typos.

AiXAdmin
28-08-2009, 20:10
NGR input as I tend not to use Lat/Lon due to the liklihood of typos

This will automatically convert your NGR's to decimal lat long - will look into postcodes while I`m at it.

Cheers
Dave

Peter Kirk
28-08-2009, 20:17
Now I'm impressed!

PETERTHEEATER
29-08-2009, 09:12
My requirement is simple, I would like to be able to alphabetically sort a folder (or folders) of Placenames. The only utility I have seen so far has a low limit to the capacity which can be sorted at one time.

Any bells and whistles may be useful eventually.

AiXAdmin
29-08-2009, 16:23
sort a folder (or folders) of Placenames

OK... What is you default folder for saving?

eg... C:\MyMaps\buildings

Don`t worry too much about the above, but it would give me a clue about how to set the save/sort options for starters.

Otherwise I have a few "user notes" to complete, after which I should have something ready for release tomorrow. I would really appreciate the assistance of a few volunteer testers to help me make the thing more user friendly and sort out features and options etc. (PM please if you'd like to help)

(Windows machines only - no Mac or Linux version as yet)

Cheers
Dave

PETERTHEEATER
30-08-2009, 07:06
Dave,

I keep a folder hieracrchy in the GE management 'Places' and back it up after any changes to an external drive by 'Savie Places As'' and selecting the main folder so that all sub-folders are included. This, of course, saves the file as a single GE Icon file which cannot be opened outside of GE (or can it?) I have 'Places' saved in both .kmz and .kml.

For practical purposes (size limitations), if a 'sorting' utility is availabe, I can save the folders that I want to sort as individual folders - i.e. no sub folders and contents so that the job is confined to simply sorting alphabetically a finite number of 'Places' within that folder.

The ideal would be something that works the way that Windows Explorer does where a 'Place' saved into a GE folder automatically assumes the correct aphabetical position in the list when the folder is 'closed'.

Perhaps I am expecting too much; if it was simple then I would have expected Google to have incorporated it into their software already.

I am quite willing to act as a trial user.

AiXAdmin
30-08-2009, 16:20
The ideal would be something that works the way that Windows Explorer does where a 'Place' saved into a GE folder automatically assumes the correct aphabetical position in the list when the folder is 'closed'.

OK.... That is possible, but will have to add the feature at the first update after initial testing.

PETERTHEEATER
31-08-2009, 07:13
Thanks Dave.

AiXAdmin
05-10-2009, 12:17
Back on the case with this at last... sorry about the long pause in proceedings. ....

Cheers
Dave

Chris Lowe
05-10-2009, 12:32
As a matter of interest does any one else Geo tag their photo's so that can appear correctly located on maps such as Google Earth I've been doing it for sometime.

Peter Kirk
05-10-2009, 12:35
I assume Geo-Tags are in GE in which case where do the actual photos reside?

Chris Lowe
05-10-2009, 13:08
The Geo tags are in the photo file itself so if you upload a photo to google earth for example it will automatically place it on the map in the correct place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotagging
Also look up EXIF tags

AiXAdmin
05-10-2009, 13:59
Geo-Tags are in GE

My principal interest in producing this utility is in support of Digital Archive relational data fields, and the production of "location" maps and diagrams using GIS and other mapping apps.

(Fundamentally it's a tool for converting OS Grid to decimal Lat/Long and Vice Versa)

The Google Earth and Virtual Earth (sorry Bing!) stuff is a by product - but it's not a huge issue to generate EXIF tags or any other output if there is a demand for it.

Clearly if we are promoting our cause by posting to these third party Web resources it's a worthwhile thing to do.

Cheers
Dave

Chris Lowe
05-10-2009, 23:21
It would be a good idea as it's becoming increasingly popular, I record location, dates a description & a few other things as well as the geo tags in my pictures.

Peter Kirk
18-02-2010, 10:00
Has anyone looked at the Historic aerials now available on Google Earth?
Warsaw is particularly good as it covers pre ans post war. Also there are some good ones of airfields in some cities. The ones I have looked at are dated around 1943-1945

PETERTHEEATER
19-02-2010, 07:45
Amazing; thanks for the pointer PNK.

You learn something new every day; I never knew there were satellites up there during the war.:-D

Daveg4otu
19-02-2010, 09:59
One particularly good sequence is the Dec 43 - Dec 53 Templehof picture.

PETERTHEEATER
06-06-2010, 09:18
Trying to be clever beyond my means I made a JPG image and inserted it as an Overlay into the Google Earth viewer. It was not what I wanted but then I found that I couldn't delete it. It does not show up in Placemarks in the left hand view window. I consulted GE Help but it seems to cover everything but my problem.

So, not to be outdone I deleted the JPG image from my HDD but now in the GE viewer is a BIG RED CROSS in a white box that obscures my view.

How do I get rid of it?

Peter Kirk
06-06-2010, 09:49
There should be an entry under places with the overlay symbol (two sheets one slighlty above the other. It may be labelled "untitled image overlay". It should be a matter of right hand click and delete.

The only other problem I have found is that it can create overlays under some odd place grouping and difficult to find.

PETERTHEEATER
06-06-2010, 10:06
I have looked carefully through My Places (there are a lot!!) but can't see it. I think that you may be right with you second opinion, it is 'hidden' somewhere in there.

PETERTHEEATER
06-06-2010, 10:44
OK. Found it and deleted. Unlike a true placemark, which you can 'Right Click' and then locate in the folder, the overlay image does not respond to on-screen 'clicks'. you must find it in Places first! It was cunningly hidden but exactly where I put it!

Hal_Chase
10-09-2010, 21:49
Apologies if im the 'last one to the party' but has anyone else noticed Google Earth can be 'rewound' to 1945 now for some fairly large chunks of the UK?

lots of original airfield imagery there.....sadly some big gaps but its a start :)

Try Deenthorpe as a good example, click the 'clock' icon and voila...1945 is suddenly there!

Cant take credit for spotting it, a mate of mine did

Peter Kirk
10-09-2010, 22:08
But you can take credit for passing it on. A lot I have seen before but now it is on GE it is much more accessible. I spend hours sometimes looking for old aerial views and am surprised I missed this, unless it is very new.

So a big thanks for letting us know.

AiXAdmin
10-09-2010, 22:30
So a big thanks for letting us know.

I echo that... that's my weekend plans ruined.

listopad
10-09-2010, 23:37
Hal_Chase,

Excellent tip, checked it out, great stuff, thanks for the info.

kebecker
11-09-2010, 03:28
top notch, just found a ship target outside Thetford, wish I could work out how to link to the image

PETERTHEEATER
11-09-2010, 04:57
Hal, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Thanks for the tip but it has great potential for diverting me from my core subjects!!

I think that Google will increase the cover eventually.

Just tried your Deethorpe example but get only a green carpet, what should be shown?

Belay that last pipe! Just tried Molesworth, I like it and so will PNK and many other AiXers! The 1945 imagery is not quite synchronised to the Layers (e.g. Roads) so your existing Placemarks may appear out of location. But, very useful.

PETERTHEEATER
11-09-2010, 05:34
Just looked at Finmere in the 1945 imagery and you would be hard pushed to see an airfield!! I though that the imagery was wrong but found a pair of buildings in the right place. There is more visible evidence in the current view. What's going on here? Censorship?

Keevil is another site which is invisible.

Peter Kirk
11-09-2010, 09:20
Generally if the photos have town and village names printed on them they are OS published versions and normally censored, mainly airfields but the odd mysterious cloud usually hides a post-war AA site. The ones that do show airfields tend to be RAF originals. Some exceptions will be where original un censored stock has been fitted in. A lot of the sections match those on Getmapping.com and UKaerialphotos.com but not entirely. I suspect more will follow but you have to wonder why you would want to pay for the same images on the commercial sites as the quality of the purchsed product is similar to that on GE.
There are some oddities and one that springs to mind is Rougham (Bury St Edmund) which is shown under contruction!

Daveg4otu
11-09-2010, 09:31
Yes there seems to be censorship in some places.

Not a lot available for my part of the UK - but the area around Blanford & Wimborne is covered - but Tarrant Rushton has been censored out completely although Blandford Camp is shown - as is the range at Launceston Down/Crichel Down.

PETERTHEEATER
11-09-2010, 09:37
Many ranges are covered with Directional Arrows and targets visible.

NP take a look at Orford Ness.

Paul Francis
11-09-2010, 09:55
Forgive me for being thick but I seem to have lost the 'go back button' - how do I find it?

Peter Kirk
11-09-2010, 12:35
Forgive me for being thick but I seem to have lost the 'go back button' - how do I find it?

It's only available in Google Earth version 5 upwards. If you have that you need the clock symbol in the toolbar (see screen grab)

I also spotted a a very patriotic embellishment to the landscape just south of Thetford - see attachment

Of interest (to me at any rate) is that the Rushford Bombing Range is of a different date to that in the Norfolk Explorer. The key difference is the lack of the two strips at the base of the range arrow that signal individual aircraft. On the GE imagery they are missing which would indicate a later date than that shown, which seems to be a generic Mar 5 1945.

WiganMick59
11-09-2010, 14:35
I'll be on here for ages...........top discovery Hal :)

kebecker
11-09-2010, 15:12
Thanks PNK, for some reason I knew I had seen Rushford mentioned before. I was involved in some feild work in the mid 90s that took me there the quadrant tower was at the time reasonably accessble, look like the outdoor piggeries have limited access.

Hal_Chase
11-09-2010, 17:36
am surprised I missed this, unless it is very new.

Yeah it only popped up a day or so ago....I spent half my life pouring over GE so I guess now I've just lost the other half :lol:

Here's hoping they expand the areas....Grafton Underwood seems to be missing and Thurleigh seems to have just been cut off (censored?)...Little Staughton is a minter though :wink:

TommyUSA
11-09-2010, 19:25
Nice 1945 coverage of Berlin as well.

Tommy

Granite
11-09-2010, 20:45
Fantastic news tommy I'd never thought of looking at Germany, I wonder if the crater my uncles Lancaster made as it hit the ground will be on......... I have the grid reference somewhere
aw well thats my evening sorted... thanks :-)

WJT
12-09-2010, 13:04
Zilch coverage in Lincolnshire. best I've found is 1999!

AiXAdmin
12-09-2010, 15:52
If you select the "rewind button" and find somewhere with historic coverage (eg Wyton) then zoom out and you'll see the areas of the UK with historic coverage. (some go back to 1935 and there's some 50's overlays as well)

Peter Kirk
12-09-2010, 15:59
This is all product of commercial companies. Lincolnshire is one that I have never seen available online. I believe that full 1940s coverage of Somerset and Devon is avaialble from the same sources but these are only available to Eductation establishments!!!!! (Oh I forgot Somerset HER website). Cheshire I have seen but doesn't appear to be around anymore.
What's the betting that if Lincs does eventually appear, all the airfields will be empty fields.

Peter Kirk
12-09-2010, 16:04
If you select the "rewind button" and find somewhere with historic coverage (eg Wyton) then zoom out and you'll see the areas of the UK with historic coverage. (some go back to 1935 and there's some 50's overlays as well)

I found that when looking at the States but you are hard pushed to find the tiny spec that has the date you are looking for. I think the other, earlier dates are for Europe, just out of view.

Talking of Wyton, did you notice the two eras of the airfield? Top is 195? and the bottom is 194?.

AiXAdmin
12-09-2010, 16:24
Agreed PNK ... it's all so tantalising but leaves you a little disappointed at times. However there are some real gems. Try Newcastle Airport for example...

Peter Kirk
12-09-2010, 18:52
I may only be me but if I go to Hartlepool and zoom in and out at some point around 69Km altitutde I get some strange black and white aerials. I see it as a sign that Hartlepool is next to be populated :)

Hal_Chase
13-09-2010, 13:42
It seems to be slowly improving daily, GE now has 1943, 1952 and 1935 in some places :-)

Peter Kirk
13-09-2010, 17:41
The US has very good date spans on selected areas. Just look at Las Vegas!
Also try Waldron Field in Corpus Cristi, Texas (27 38 N - 97 18 W).
The dates are a little confusing as they seem to cover areas off screen.

treadstone
13-09-2010, 20:54
Just looking at Wyton 1945. There seem to be 4 Canberras on north part of airfield, also Bicester airfield has vanished

Chris Lowe
13-09-2010, 21:27
Sibson is a good one to look at lots of buildings frommthe dispersed and tech sites nice view if Mildenhall as well.

cbrjock
14-09-2010, 06:07
Just looking at Wyton 1945. There seem to be 4 Canberras on north part of airfield, also Bicester airfield has vanished

Same here, Meteors perhaps?

PETERTHEEATER
14-09-2010, 06:42
As PNK explained in Post #8, there is a mix of 'open' and 'censored' images joined together so many airfileds are just 'fields' although you can play at looking for peripheral buildings which the censor has missed.

Richard Drew
14-09-2010, 10:23
I am a bit upset with this tread as I found it at about 11.00pm last night and then switched off my computer at 1.00am. Three hours non stop.

As for airfields that are not shown, I think this goes with Ordnance Survey not showing military sites on their maps. Its odd the ones they do and do not show are not relevant to the importance of the airfields for future use. Tarrant Rushton is not shown but Castle Combe is. New Zealand Farm shows up very well also Critchel Down bombing range. Ex D-day camps show up as white squares where the tents used to be and the military hospitals in the grounds of large estates. Blandford Camp shows up well and several of you on another post asked about the runway for AOP aircraft. It shows that the area was a parade square. Again Blandford Camp shows rows of Z trenches. Some maybe WW1?? but not sure. A very good set of WW1 trenches near Imber village on Salisbury Plain and I am sure could be located today if it was not for red flags flying and a complete exclusion Zone. The large WW2 US storage at Westbury, several of the Quonset or Romney hut are still extant. I noticed on the East Anglia airfields a lot of stores left on runways and peri track and Aircraft storage on parts of Hullavington. Somebody has already mentioned Middleton St George. Looking forward to seeing more. Also Linton-on-Ouse's butts, if you go back through the years it shows it before the the construction of the new control tower.

Hal_Chase
14-09-2010, 10:26
I am a bit upset with this tread as I found it at about 11.00pm last night and then switched off my computer at 1.00am. Three hours non stop.

Sorry...I take full responsibility....won't happen again.....promise......well maybe it might :lol:

Richard Drew
14-09-2010, 10:30
Yes you should be I had a great evening and am suffering this morning, may need a sleep after lunch!!

Sparky67
14-09-2010, 12:00
Fantastic ! Comparing the '1945' images with the current images and the street view icon is superb. Not going to get much else done today...:-D

Just found Elmdon, where my father trained on Tiger Moths during WW2, nicely imaged, however Baginton a few miles to the east, Halfpenny Green, Defford, Staverton, Stratford, Gaydon and half of Snitterfield (!) are just fields. Throckmorton is nicely shown, as are RAFs Innsworth and Hartlebury. RAF Quedgeley is missing. What could be Harbury airfield (between Leamington and Harbury) and its hangars and a compasss swinging platform (?) are visible, clearly a car scrapyard in more recent views.

The two Longbridges - the circular airfield at the Longbridge aircraft factory in South Birmingham is visible, I believe there may have been another Longbridge airfield south of Leamington Spa, close to and NNE of J15 on the M40 ? A suitable field is shown and what look a couple of blister hangars.

A field with what looks like two runways is visible at Wishaw, east of Sutton Coldfield. Was that an airfield of some sort ? And are those huts west of Cheltenham the original GCHQ ?

Interesting to see a wooden building originally at the radio station where I used to work was present in 1945. There were rumours that it had been used by a listening service during WW2, I believe it was probably an early police MF transmitting site. It was demolished in 1986, I kept the insulators off the mast base to use as door stops...!

TommyUSA
14-09-2010, 14:17
Not GE, but an interesting BoB site with a cool then-and-now map feature:
http://news.uk.msn.com/in-depth/world-war-two/battle-of-britain/default.aspx

Tommy

Peter Kirk
14-09-2010, 20:45
I can't find the map thingy. It keeps looping back to the same page view!!!

TommyUSA
14-09-2010, 21:28
I click "skip intro", then I get a three panel thingy. The middle one is "TimeMap". Do you have Microsoft Silverlight installed? It's their online interactive software viewer.

Peter Kirk
15-09-2010, 08:58
I have set things up to block all downloads so I probably need to allow it to install. Will try again.

Browsing the web requires an awful lot of "extras" these days!!

ted angus
21-09-2010, 22:09
Over certain German cities you can rewind to 1943

Carnaby
23-09-2010, 20:42
Sparky has mentioned some of this.

Some great shots of the vast American hospitals south of Malvern. The Admiralty TOB site on St Andrew's Road is however empty fields. The remaining ex-War Office TOB north-east of Copcut at Droitwich becomes a large site with five such blocks. Cheltenham's GCHQ doughnut at Benhall becomes a poor quality array of half a dozen? War Office / US Army SOS blocks. The doughnut is missing in the 1999 view. The other six blocks (now demolished) to the east at Oakley can clearly be seen in 1945.
Quedgley MU is completely missing. Two Air Ministry TOBS can be seen at Gloucester (Still extant). Where are / were the other four?

An excellent shot of RAF Melksham

This '1945' label is a bit of a joke. Cheddington 1999 is the same as 1945. Wing is missing in 2002, Westcott, Little Horwood in 1945. Graveley and Warboys are good, but Wyton certainly isn't December 1945.

Google have got their work cut out here - sadly it's a case of their current policy of quantity over quality - been taking lessons from Microsoft :cry:.

Graham

P Bellamy
23-09-2010, 21:56
Two Air Ministry TOBS can be seen at Gloucester (Still extant). Where are / were the other four?

There are the two existing ones at Churchdown, the other four were at Barnwood:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/ramc181/GTob.jpg

All the best,
PB

Peter Kirk
24-09-2010, 05:53
I will not grumble too much about quality or labelling as the alternative it heavily logo'd and very pricey commercial sites that work out more expensive than better quality laser copies from NMR! One site will charge over 100 for a quality print that NMR will do for you for less than 20. Admittedly the commercial sites may have scanned and made proper geo referenced aerial maps but I can't see them making much from sales to the general public at such high prices.

kebecker
24-09-2010, 09:37
a large section around Kettering has just been added, just keeps improving!

Chris Lowe
24-09-2010, 12:24
RAF Denton south of Northampton now shows up as does Yardley Chase depot complete with all the internal railways.

Peter Kirk
24-09-2010, 15:22
Also parts of Scotland, Cheshire, IOW, and some odd bits around Brownsea Island and Exmouth (I think)

APMan
24-09-2010, 16:57
These Google image layers are comprised of a variety of different dates - some pre and others post 1945, it really depends on the sources used by the image providers who have passed this on to Google. This can make it difficult for doing serious research on military sites which change so fast between 1940 and 1950. On google, thedifferent dates / chronology of images has been ironed-out into a single layer that is dubbed i.e. 'historic' or '1945'. Most of these images are, however, derived from scans of OS photo maps - which are mosaics made from the RAF post-war survey 1945-47. These didnt cover the whole country - mostly southern and eastern england and include censorship of military/industrial sites as has rightly been pointed out. Some libraries and record offices have sets of these maps which you can look at and have a bit more confidence on the date of flying. If you want full photo chronology for a site in England then I recommend the National Monuments Record in Swindon which has air photos from the 1920s onwards, the majority being post-1940. They will do a search for you for free for a site if you can give a co-ordinate and give you a list of all available images (on-line form at English Heritage National Monuments Record web site). The snag is you have to go to Swindon to see photos- but worth it if you want to see the wartime pics (RAF and USAAF, dont have Luftwaffe)

Peter Kirk
24-09-2010, 20:06
I still think RAF Wyton is the best example of date confusion. The area north of the main runway is a decade later than the bit to the south. As I said before, it's difficult to complain when it's free. Chronology adds to the fun or am I just odd that way?

Peter Kirk
24-09-2010, 20:14
RAF Denton south of Northampton now shows up as does Yardley Chase depot complete with all the internal railways.

Funnily enough the bit around Yardley chase is new to me. This area is still confusing me as the Bombing range at Lavendon replaced the Yardley Chase one. Lavendon was still under construction in 1944 so Yardley Chase must have closed in 1944. Is this the site of the munitions storage. OS 1:25000 series showed a tower at SP8573854625, I wonder if that was one of the quadrants or would the depot have had towers anyway?

Chris Lowe
24-09-2010, 20:52
Yes Yardely Chase is a former munitions storage depot & used these days by the army cadets http://www.armycadets.com/news/news/acf-national-tug-of-war.aspx.

P Bellamy
24-09-2010, 22:11
Yardley Chase thread HERE (http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?1098-Yardley-Chase)

PB

Chris Lowe
24-09-2010, 22:19
Thanks Paul I didn't find that thread.

PETERTHEEATER
26-09-2010, 08:32
Wigg Island, home of the Randle mustard gas works is covered:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=53.351550366603085&lon=-2.6934099197387695&gz=15&oz=7&gt=1

ted angus
29-09-2010, 13:47
Just went to use GE it -including desktop shortcut has vanished from my PC ?????????????????

TED

Peter
29-09-2010, 14:48
Reinstall it.. problem solved??

ted angus
29-09-2010, 15:33
I have done but the question is why did it disappear overnight the PC was shut down and not connected to our home hub ??

TED

AiXAdmin
29-09-2010, 15:36
Seems an update dumped the shortcut... but the app is still installed OK

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client.exe (and right click create shortcut - desktop)

Hal_Chase
29-09-2010, 15:37
a large section around Kettering has just been added, just keeps improving!

Just noticed that, its revealed some 'non airfield' stuff I've been wanting to see....lets hope if keeps going North ;)

RAF Podington has also shown itself, apart from the fact its censored :roll:

Hal_Chase
29-09-2010, 15:39
I think if GE vanished from my PC I would dial 999 :lol:

I've spent about 4 hours on it today....my boss would kill me if he knew :oops::oops::oops:

andrewayers
29-09-2010, 20:26
hi all
new additions great on google
now drem poulton sealand hooton park etc
great picture of the crater at metfield bomb dump
regards
andrew

Peter Kirk
29-09-2010, 22:34
Definitely an update did this as it is exactly what happened to me. Even saw the icon go! The app was still there but ALL the shortcuts were gone. I assumed it was a Microsoft backed "virus" to remove Google Earth as a competitor. No other obvious explanation since it was the only icon to be removed.
This is the only problem with Windows 7 - the almost daily updates, I have another 21 waiting in the wings

ted angus
29-09-2010, 23:38
Thanks Gents yes trawling back an update was done on close down last night.
regards TED

Carnaby
30-09-2010, 00:11
I installed GE a while ago and was horrified by the amount of stuff it added to my PC. I actually installed it (along with all applications) to my 'E' partition as I like to keep the 'C' drive as clean as possible. However it added loads of garbage to 'Windows'' and 'Program Files' and 'Documents and Settings'. A few days later I re-cloned the 'C' partition to a previous ''clean' version. Hence Windows and the registry etc know nothing about Google Earth. However GE works perfectly when I create a link to its EXE on the 'E' drive.

Proves yet again that large amounts of installation software are completely unnecessary. This is not the first time this has happened - generally it's only Microsoft stuff that ties itself tightly into the registry and hence insists on a reinstall every time you sneeze or it rains. Most other large apps can work independently.

Conversely my Microsoft .NET FRAMEWORK v3.5 has got itself into a real mess - it won't update, won't uninstall, won't repair. I tried a manual uninstall followed by a purge of the registry (1.5 hours) and still no joy - it hurls error messages at me on reboot. Even tried reverting to an old clone of my 'C' drive with the original 1.1 version and that had exactly the same problems. There are loads of people, including friends, complaining about this unsolvable issue on the web - bottom line - it's made by Microsoft. Nuff said.

End of moan

Graham

TommyUSA
30-09-2010, 01:12
Conversely my Microsoft .NET FRAMEWORK v3.5 has got itself into a real mess - it won't update, won't uninstall, won't repair. I tried a manual uninstall followed by a purge of the registry (1.5 hours) and still no joy - it hurls error messages at me on reboot. Even tried reverting to an old clone of my 'C' drive with the original 1.1 version and that had exactly the same problems. There are loads of people, including friends, complaining about this unsolvable issue on the web - bottom line - it's made by Microsoft. Nuff said.Graham

Have you tried booting into safe mode and then uninstalling?

T

Denis
30-09-2010, 01:32
it added loads of garbage to 'Windows'' and 'Program Files' and 'Documents and Settings'. Graham

And one of the main reasons I dont use GE. Although when I read about all of these overlays and things you can get for GE I feel sort of left out.
But bloatware being bloatware, I shall stick with 'Flashearth' for my meagre needs!

Carnaby
30-09-2010, 15:03
Have you tried booting into safe mode and then uninstalling?T
Yes unfortunately. Symptoms are:
1) Perform 'Live Update'. It does then reports 'Update Failed owing to a problem XXXX' (XXX is well documented with plenty of Microsoft stupid suggestions and no known reliable solution). I also noticed that the file Datastore.edb which MS reckon contains detail of your updates and has gradually increased over the years suddenly jumped at this point from around 8 meg to 65 meg!!! Why?
2) Try to Repair it. It reports 'Unable to Repair - you need to reinstall'
3) Try to Install latest version (or any version!) It reports 'You must uninstall first'
4) Try to uninstall - Immediate reply 'Cannot uninstall'

If I had ever produced software like this I would willingly resign before I was sacked.

Had a serious problem trying to update Office 2000 to Office 2003 a while ago. Microsoft is aware of this when running XP and their site recommended uninstalling 2000 first, followed by the gem 'Do not uninstall Office 2000 by the normal adopted method as it doesn't actually uninstall the product!' Instead they recommended downloading their 'Office Uninstaller'

I did just that and ran it. It immediately reported 'This product does not work with Windows XP or above'.

Totally lost for words :roll:.

Graham

Paul Francis
30-09-2010, 15:21
Think yerself lucky mr Carnaby as over the weekend my motherboard failed on my Dell, and Dell being Dell means the computer is junk - its only three years old. I am having too write this on my trusted teleprinter!

Peter Kirk
30-09-2010, 20:21
When did Telex go?

Carnaby
30-09-2010, 21:26
... motherboard failed on my Dell...
Don't get me going on lead-free solder. Great for the environment, a disaster for electronics.

Graham

Chris Lowe
30-09-2010, 21:35
Just don't solder by mistake with acid cored solder Graham.

Denis
30-09-2010, 23:20
Think yerself lucky mr Carnaby as over the weekend my motherboard failed on my Dell, and Dell being Dell means the computer is junk - its only three years old. I am having too write this on my trusted teleprinter!

Blown capacitors Paul?
Dell bought millions of faulty stock capacitors apparently, well, along with everyone else!
I'm on my little laptop, as I'm about to attempt repairing my MB's blown Caps over the weekend.

Chris Lowe
30-09-2010, 23:23
I've got a few bags of capacitors Denis from my CB radio repairing days.
Just need to dig them out.

Carnaby
30-09-2010, 23:37
Blown capacitors Paul?
Dell bought millions of faulty stock capacitors apparently, well, along with everyone else!
Not Gigabyte, hopefully

According to Gigabyte, their Solid-Core capacitors will last up to 18 times longer than standard electrolytic capacitors, and 3 times longer than the solid-core capacitors used in other high-end motherboards:That was a factor in building my current PC (which will probably blow up tomorrow having said that :roll:).

I note today that Gigabyte have once again come top in PC PRO's reliability award (Motherboard category)

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/html/awards-2010/index.php?pageId=7

Dell PC's (desk and lap) have fared badly.

Graham

Paul Francis
01-10-2010, 08:32
Might well be blown capacitors how does one tell?

Carnaby
01-10-2010, 10:01
http://www.capacitorlab.com/replacing-motherboard-capacitors-howto/index.htm

It's not a job I would attempt.

mawganmad
07-10-2010, 12:31
I'm glad someone else has mentioned Google Earth disapearing from PCs!
On my current PC (owned just over a year now) GE disapears regularly and then I have to reinstall it, it lasts for a month or so and then just disapears along with the icon, can't find any trace of it in the directories either.
It has disapeared again this week and I realy can't be bothered to reinstall it now, so use Google Maps in Satellite mode!

Peter Kirk
07-10-2010, 12:47
Welcome back MM.

My trouble was in Windows 7 but I understand W7 has a cleanup routine that removes desktop icons that are little used and apparently some that are frequently used! A system maintenance job that runs in the background I suppose.

Carnaby
07-10-2010, 13:35
... W7 has a cleanup routine that removes desktop icons that are little used and apparently some that are frequently used
In earlier WIN versions if you go to Control Panel - Add/remove programs - the list, when populated informs you which applications are used frequently or rarely etc.

What a complete load of garbage that is. Just checked half a dozen I use every day, and it reports that five of them are 'used rarely' Two of them haven't been used since January last year it states. I was using them this morning. No wonder GE etc gets randomly deleted.

Where does Microsoft source its employees? Which reminds me of the problems Wang Computers had a while ago, when they announced their new slogan 'Wang Cares'

Graham (enjoyed my daily Microshaft rant again)

Peter Kirk
08-10-2010, 23:57
Wang! My goodness never thought I would hear that name this century. They were the first network computers I used and it was marvellous to be able to share data and it also had a database called PACE (IIRC). The maind benefit at the time was its ability to have a DOS session as well so we could run Lotus and dBase as well. The good old days when people thought I was clever because I could make things work automatically!

Chris Lowe
09-10-2010, 00:09
We had a Wang where I worked as well Peter but prior to the Wang it was PDP11's and before them a Singer & it was as slow as a sewing machine & I don't think Mickeysoft have improved on that.

mawganmad
09-10-2010, 12:03
Blimey I didn't think it was a proper 'putor name, thought it was Carnaby trying out another variant of his 'wang cares' word play!!:-D

kebecker
09-10-2010, 17:36
Most of London now available for 1945 ish, although looking at Heathrow I would think it is later

Peter Kirk
09-10-2010, 20:14
Heathrow's north runway seems to pre-date the rest, probably by no more than a year but that is a long time given the rapid change. You can still make out the original layout too.
Also the London block includes Langley, Weybridge, Wisley amongst others.

TommyUSA
10-10-2010, 23:41
We had a Wang where I worked as well ...

Oh my gosh, I thought openings for the following old joke were gone forever. Thanks for the setup!

Did you know that in the Garden of Eden, Eve was a computer expert?

She had an Apple in one hand and a Wang in the other!

Tommy

PETERTHEEATER
11-10-2010, 09:06
...and a lovely Dell nearby to use them!

mawganmad
12-10-2010, 10:34
Does anyone else here struggle with reinstalling GE once it has disapeared from the computor?
I have just tried countless times and and follow the sequence through to when it says finished, but then can't locate it in any files or open it, seem to remember it did this the last few times - very frustrating!

Hal_Chase
12-10-2010, 11:12
Does anyone else here struggle with reinstalling GE once it has disapeared from the computor?
I have just tried countless times and and follow the sequence through to when it says finished, but then can't locate it in any files or open it, seem to remember it did this the last few times - very frustrating!

Might be relevant, you're not running 64-Bit Windows 7 by any chance are you? It installs to a different location and appears to 'vanish'

If you are then its hiding in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\

hope this helps

mawganmad
12-10-2010, 11:20
Thanks Hal, I've just tried this and it worked,
'I went in to control panel- programs and uninstalled Google earth from there. Then found the download I had done (by searching downloads) and reinstalled it.'

mawganmad
12-10-2010, 11:24
See London is covered now, again it appears to be later tyhan '45, take a look at Heathrow which would suggest very early '50s. Hawkers Langley airfield appears just to the north west of it aswel, fascinating stuff though.
Does anyone know if you can select to view GE without any of the overlaying icons?

Hal_Chase
12-10-2010, 11:25
Thanks Hal, I've just tried this and it worked,

Excellent, glad to have helped :)

The key with most of these 'Google Earth Traumas' is to totally uninstall first, then re-install with the latest version (5.2).

The 64-Bit thing is an additional issue that some people encounter!

Richard Flagg
12-10-2010, 11:55
if you uninstall GE does it not delete your saved places?

Hal_Chase
12-10-2010, 12:13
if you uninstall GE does it not delete your saved places?

They should be backed up before you uninstall

On Windows XP they are in C:\Documents and Settings\<<username>>\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth

On Windows 7 they are in C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEa rth

If you are on a corporate network and have Windows 7 they will be in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Google\GoogleEar th\

Copy them someplace safe (away from Google folders!!), uninstall GE, re-install GE, then copy them back where you found them.

Chris Lowe
12-10-2010, 12:16
I've updated GE on 3 Pc's now and not had a problem with any of them.

Richard Flagg
12-10-2010, 12:17
Thanks chaps, will give it a go!

Chris Lowe
12-10-2010, 12:22
Although Harrington area is covered there isn't any sign of it at all.

TommyUSA
12-10-2010, 12:43
All you really need to save is myplaces.kml - that is the file with the custom 'pins' you've put down. One caveat: if you move the file, the name of the computer should be the same because it is throughout the myplaces.kml file. Or you can use a text editor to change it to the appropriate value. That's what I do anyway...

T

mawganmad
12-10-2010, 14:11
Here's a list of airfields that are clearly visible in the 1940s images, this was after an hour or so looking about.
Anyone fancy adding to the list?

Bentwaters
Brooklands
Calveley
Cardiff
Conington
Cowes SARO slipways
Croughton
Croydon
Depden
Elstree
Eye
Flixton
Great Ashfield
Great Staughton
Halesworth
Heathrow
Hendon
Heston
Hooton Park
Horham
Kimbolton
Knettishall
Lakenheath under const
Langley
Leiston
Mendlesham edge of
Metfield
Mildenhall
Molesworth
Oakington
Pengham Moor
Pershore
Poulton
Rattlesden edge of, under const
Ringway edge of
Rougham under const
Sealand
Shepards Grove
Silverstone
Snitterfield
Speke edge of
Stradishall
Stretton
Tuddenham
Warboys
Waterbeach
Wattisham
Wisley
Wratting Common
Wyton

I was staggered to find two Long Marstons, but I think the one that you can see is called Cheddington?

Richard Flagg
12-10-2010, 14:45
Great list MM, thanks for putting it up.

Long Marston Airfield is in Warwickshire, the other one in Bucks is Chedington.

Stanton and Hepworth in Suffolk, do you mean RAF Shepherds Grove - just north of walshm le willows?

Weston Green, could that be Wratting common?

I am not looking at GE, just going by memory here!

Great Ashfield would also be the correct name.

mawganmad
12-10-2010, 15:30
Thanks Rich, and 'Wardle' is Calveley! I've adjusted the list.

Delboy
12-10-2010, 15:48
Honington and Bury St Edmunds both show up well, as do the bomb dump at Barnham and the FFD at Little Heath.

Carnaby
21-10-2010, 14:28
great picture of the crater at metfield bomb dump
It looks as though they added a fifth 200 ton dump to the east of the damaged one.

Lots of munitions stored in the open at Lord's Bridge.

... and bet you were unaware that Sizewell had a nuclear power station in 1945.

Graham

kebecker
21-10-2010, 17:18
Here's a list of airfields that are clearly visible in the 1940s images, this was after an hour or so looking about.

I was staggered to find two Long Marstons, but I think the one that you can see is called Cheddington?

Nice list, I have to admit I look almost every day for extended coverage for 1945 (or 46 or what ever year it really is!)

Alconbury
Caxton Gibbet
Feltwell
Sibson

Connington should probably be listed as Glatton?

mawganmad
21-10-2010, 17:54
And I've not even checked out the north east yet!
My partners mothers house isn't built but you can see prepartion underway, it was completed in '46 so some of the coverage does appear to be '45-'46.
To be fair on Google this is a tremendous idea and effort, they probably asked various archives for circa '45 pictures and what we see is what they got.

Carnaby
21-10-2010, 20:22
To be fair on Google this is a tremendous idea and effort, they probably asked various archives for circa '45 pictures and what we see is what they got.
However, as I've stated before, if it's c.1945, why does it say 'December 1945'?

I notice that 'Dec 1953' appears in some areas, but it's identical to the 'Dec 1945'. Also '1943' appears occasionally - except there's nothing there.

Sorry guys, but as a software engineer I'd expect to be slated having released something like this.

Graham

mawganmad
21-10-2010, 20:34
We are a very choosy crowd (you maybe more so) Carnabus, but the ordinary folk that I have demonstrated this function to have been gobsmacked and love it, especially my partners mother!
I suggest that Google have simply picked the last month of the year as a date to use as the datum point, circa sounds odd (some don't even know the word!).

PETERTHEEATER
22-10-2010, 07:42
Carnaby, take a look at the original in-line Type C bomb stores at Kinloss but no sign of the later bomb store built in the north so I assume that was added in 1943.

Carnaby
22-10-2010, 11:58
Carnaby, take a look at the original in-line Type C bomb stores at Kinloss but no sign of the later bomb store built in the north so I assume that was added in 1943.
Sorry Peter, I'm being stupid, or missing something here. I can only go back to 2004.

Graham

ted angus
22-10-2010, 13:25
Sorry Peter, I'm being stupid, or missing something here. I can only go back to 2004.

Graham

May be I am daft too I can only get to 2004 in that part of Scotland ??

TED

PETERTHEEATER
23-10-2010, 07:34
Very odd. I have been 'chasing' the bomb store layouts at Kinloss for some time so was surprised to find GE 1945 coverage, I used it to mark some locations. Today, it's gone!

I will check and see if I saved a screenshot.

No, I didn't, foolish of me! I also looked at Forres and some other 'fields.

Bears checking every day!!

EDIT

Oh dear, he's getting senile I hear them say! Just found from my notes that I was looking at CANMORE images. To make up for it, try this:

Go to CANMORE and put this is the search box:

Woodside, Kinloss, MORAYSHIRE, SCOTLAND, Sortie M_037 / FNO 189, Frame 2064

Carnaby
23-10-2010, 12:46
Go to CANMORE and put this is the search box:Woodside, Kinloss, MORAYSHIRE, SCOTLAND, Sortie M_037 / FNO 189, Frame 2064

Can't find that either Peter, though I haven't got the hang of the search facilities. Can find Woodside OR Kinloss, but not both. I get 51 images of the airfield, but nothing like the above.

Has it got a DP or an SC number?

Strangely this aerial oblique of the airfield isn't http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/1153591/

Graham

P Bellamy
23-10-2010, 13:28
Strangely this aerial oblique of the airfield isn't http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/1153591/

See also: http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=300750

Why are the plans for the lavatories in the National Museum of The Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Tripoli, on the RCAHMS website? :confused:

TTFN,
PB

Carnaby
23-10-2010, 14:16
National Museum of The Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Tripoli
Dont' know how you found that, Paul. I tried to read the title of the plan in my link and could just decipher the word 'Arab'

Graham

Peter Kirk
23-10-2010, 14:45
Graham - Use this link to get to the Scottish aerials and then search. I find using sortie number sort is good as well. I found it difficult to find a link in the Canmore site to the aerial photo site.

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/worldwide/Scotland.php?PHPSESSID=eot36r2vh0fa0n8u73su7murp3

I wonder if the Libyan Museum plans were drawn up by a Scottish architect or firm? There are quite a few non-Scottish items in Canmore.

Carnaby
23-10-2010, 15:17
Use this link...
I would if I could find it, Peter :wink:.

Graham

PETERTHEEATER
24-10-2010, 08:03
Can't find that either Peter, though I haven't got the hang of the search facilities. Can find Woodside OR Kinloss, but not both. I get 51 images of the airfield, but nothing like the above.

Has it got a DP or an SC number?

Graham

Sorry, since Bill Gates thoughtfully auto updated my XP I have had problems with Firefox/Google whereby I cannot see the full URL in the search box when the page loads.

Try this:

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/database/results.php?offset=65&no_results=16&scache=3s8m9pi86d&searchdb=tara_scran&sortby=&sortorder=ASC&field=&searchterm=%2BKINLOSS

Double click Frame 2064. You will not be able to make it larger unless you are a registered user.

PETERTHEEATER
24-10-2010, 08:10
....as to the plans of the museum lavatories being on-line CANMORE, perhaps the Scots bothy dwellers want to copy the design to avoid having to roll the rock to one side to open the door:)

PETERTHEEATER
30-11-2010, 09:45
Not sure what I am seeing today in GE.

Go to Lossiemouth and use the Toolbar Clock to roll-back to May 8, 2008 which has black and white imagery. Looks modern, maybe just a colour change.

Peter Kirk
30-11-2010, 11:13
It looks more like infra red b&w photography. Probably satellite rather than aircraft? It is funny how you automatically think it should be 1940's!

Hal_Chase
09-12-2010, 15:39
Public Warning...

Steer well clear of Google Earth 6 (beta) for the time being :roll:

P Bellamy
09-12-2010, 15:56
I've been trying it for a couple of days now, and recommend switching most of the annoying doo-dads off straight away. The "3D" Streetview facility is good, the tilt-and-pan not so.
Sadly, it's not solved the recent problem of the images not fully loading though, even if the blue circle in the corner says otherwise. :evil:

PB

Hal_Chase
09-12-2010, 16:08
Its really very jerky on my system when 'flying' to placemarks, also first time I fired it up it used over 800mb RAM :roll:

The worrying thing is I'm using a Core 2 Duo E7500 with 4gb RAM !!

I shall persevere....

PETERTHEEATER
10-12-2010, 05:53
Thanks, haven't tried it so I shall give it a miss for now until the bugs are sorted out.

Carnaby
10-12-2010, 12:34
I still find version 5.2.1 not easy to use. There are not enough labels which makes finding villages etc quite difficult. All too often I click on something and find myself in another mode or view - and it's impossible to get back. Once a week or so I visit 'Documents and Settings' and empty the half-a-gig or so of junk it's deposited in there.

Much of the stuff on my PC has come from OldVersions.com or similar sites who declare, 'Often newer versions are more complicated to use and we understand that it is hard to find older, more user-friendly versions of popular software'.

I've just dumped for ever AVG Free as its latest (essential) upgrade to V11 added 350 Meg to my 'C' drive, even though I installed it to the 'E' partition. (Replacing it with Avast saved me almost half a gig of disc space). And my PC is noticeably faster in operation.

Graham

Chris Lowe
10-12-2010, 13:19
My Avast is in pirate mode on 'Talk Like a Pirate Day' it changed all the messages and verbal announcements into pirate lingo.

Carnaby
10-12-2010, 15:18
My Avast is in pirate mode on 'Talk Like a Pirate Day' it changed all the messages and verbal announcements into pirate lingo.
Absolutely brilliant - just downloaded it. Far far better than the default sounds.

Thanks, made my day - Graham

Carnaby
10-12-2010, 16:48
Any idea what this is at Calvert a few miles north of Westcott (51.44.47 1.00.07) in 1945.?

LatLong (51.54.47 1.00.07)

Graham

Peter Kirk
11-12-2010, 00:30
Calvert Brickworks.

airfields man
11-12-2010, 11:38
Calvert Brickworks.
A mate of mine worked there for a while, I went for an interview got the job, then decided against it. Not one of the best places to work at.

Carnaby
20-01-2011, 16:38
Just stumbled across Blackpool Airport, runway 07/25 in 2011. Roll back to Dec 31 2005 and not only were they there on that occasion, but in exactly the same place. Now that is meticulous parking :D.

Graham

PETERTHEEATER
05-02-2011, 09:24
Sorting Placemark Folders alphabetically in GE is a pain. Going to the left hand pane (when open) I can click on a folder and drag it up or down a column. If it is 'released' when superimposed on another folder it goes into that folder as a sub folder. But, when 'released between folders it should stay there between the two. Now, sometimes it does and (usually) it doesn't.

So, my question is, what am I doing wrong? Is there a trick? I've tried cut and paste but that is hit and miss too.

Forestfan2
05-02-2011, 13:25
Peter, when you drag the folder to the location you want, you need to make sure that the thin black line that appears where the folder is going, stretches all the way along the icon and text of the line BELOW where it's going. If it doesn't, the line becomes a box around the icon and folder ABOVE where it's going, and so the dropped folder goes in there. I don't know if that makes sense to you, but have a play and see if you 'get it'.

PETERTHEEATER
06-02-2011, 08:56
Thanks. I think I have it now. I have been 'matching' the inserted folder icon to the upper and lower folder icons when I should be looking at the 'check-box' relationship instead. Seems to work reliably now but sure needs careful alignment!

David Thompson
23-04-2011, 21:18
This message appeared on one of the spotters forums earlier today . It appears that Google Earth respond to requests for better coverage of certain locations ;

Morning all,

This below just received in my in-box from Google Earth. No time to check it
personally but bound to interest many of you.

If anyone has a particular airfield (or anywhere) they want Google Earth to
update, it seems they do take notice of requests and produce new images to
order in less than a year, judging by my requests.

Cheers ta,

Baz

We're happy to let you know that imagery of the point of
interest<http://followyourworld.appspot.com/poi/?key=ag9mb2xsb3d5b3Vyd29ybGRyFwsSD1BvaW50T2ZJbnRlc mVzdBjq-A4M&hl=en-us>,
"davis monthan afb" has been updated!

You can view this new imagery in Google
Maps<http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=32.1653,-110.8604&z=18&t=h> or
in Google Earth <http://www.google.com/earth/index.html> (lat, lng: 32.1653,
-110.8604).

Sorry but for some reason I could not copy the links across .

Chris Lowe
23-04-2011, 21:47
They also add your 3D models to Google Earth as I was surprised when they accepted & added one of mine.

YellowPinkie
23-04-2011, 21:54
I don't think Google are producing "new images to
order", rather they will notify you of mapping changes to any area you have requested to be kept informed about.

You can make your requests to be kept updated here, on any number of locations:

http://followyourworld.appspot.com/

And they are dead keen for people to produce 3D models for them to populate GE, they have even sponsored competetions in the past.

- Steve

Peter Kirk
29-09-2013, 20:05
Not strictly Google Earth but if you prefer to use Google and want grid references then http://maps.nls.uk/ this site offers both with the added benefit of historic overlays.

YellowPinkie
02-10-2013, 14:44
Not strictly Google Earth but if you prefer to use Google and want grid references then http://maps.nls.uk/ this site offers both with the added benefit of historic overlays.

This is fantastic, is there a version that covers England?

Chris Lowe
02-10-2013, 17:15
NLS does have full OS coverage of the UK, I've used it quite a few times.