PDA

View Full Version : En Tout Cas - Pre War Airfield Construction Contractors

contentd
20-05-2008, 10:15
One or two of you may know I`m collating pre 1970 aviation related ads.

This one from 1936 came up today and I thought it might prove of general interest. Pre WW2 it seems The En Tout Cas company were responsible for the preparation of many of our airfields. A quick Google shows the company to be still alive and well, but Tennis Courts seem to be their main interest now. - The text below has been OCR'd and I haven`t time to fully edit it at the moment so may contain a few "typo's" - Copy of ad available in due course if anyone would like one -

LEE-ON-SOLENT R.A.F. AERODROME
Clearance of trees, hedges, etc., drainage, levelling and grading surface, sowing seeds, etc.-120 acres. Under supervision of the Superintending Engineer, W. & B. Department, Lee-on-Solent.

SUTTON BRIDGE R.A.F. AERODROME
Clearing site of hedges, trees ; levelling and grading ground, draining, preparation of surface, sowing seeds--50 acre extension.
Under supervision of Superintending Engineer, Inland Area, Grantham.

LEICESTER MUNICIPAL AERODROME
Clearing site of all hedges, trees ; levelling, draining, preparation of site for sowing, supplying and sowing of seeds-74 acres. Also all concrete roads, fences, etc.
Under control of A. T. Gamesman, Esq., M.I.C.E,, City Engineer and Surveyor. Town Hall, Leicester.

NEWCASTLE-ON-TYNE MUNICIPAL AERODROME Clearing site of all hedges, trees ; levelling and
grading, draining, cultivation and preparing surface for sowing, supplying seeds and sowing same-104 acres.
Under supervision of W. J. Steele Esq., M.I.C.E., City Engineer, Newcastle-on-Tyne.

BRIGHTON, HOVE AND WORTHING MUNICIPAL AIRPORT, SHOREHAM, SUSSEX
Clearinig ground, levelling and grading, including culverts, etc., cultivation of surface, sowing of seeds ; concrete work, etc.- 85 acres.
Architect, Stayers H. Tiltman, Esq., L.R.I,B.A., 42, Middle Street, Brighton.

YORK MUNICIPAL AERODROME
Clearing site of all hedges and trees ; drainage, levelling, grading surface preparation of surface and supplying and sowing of seeds-70 acres. Under supervision of C. J. Minter, Esq., City Engineer and Surveyor, Guildhall. York.

BRISTOL AIRPORT
Improving Landing Ground by levelling of ridges and furrows, getting solid and level, and re-sowing, etc. Under supervision of Captain L. P. Winters, Manager, Bristol Airport, Bristol.

FILTON AERODROME BRISTOL
Extending Landing Ground, clearing site, culverts, drainage, preparing surface, supplying and sowing seeds-39 acres.
For Bristol Aeroplane Company, Fitton House Bristol.

HESTON AIRPORT, HOUNSLOW
Extension of and repairs to Landing Ground, including levelling and grading, preparation of surface for sowing drainage, supplying seeds and sowing same.
Under supervision of Messrs. Norman, Muntz Dawbsarn, 43, Grosvenor Place, London, S.W 1.

DESFORD AERODROME
Improving old surface of Landing Ground and clearing extension of 95 acres of all hedges, trees ; draining, levelling, grading, cultivation or surface supplying and sowing seeds,
For Messrs. Reid & Sigrist Ltd., Shannon Corner Kingston By-Pass, New Malden. Surrey.

YATESBURY AERODROME, WILTSHIRE
Re-making old wartime Aerodrome-181 acres-taking out all ridges, levelling, draining, sewerage disposal, etc., preparation of surface, sowing, etc. Also complete construction of all buildings, including Administration Block, Transport Shed and Lecture Rooms. Cottages, Roads, etc.. etc.
For the Bristol Aeroplane Company. Filton House, Bristol.

GATWICK AIRPORT
Improvements to and extension of Landing Ground, taking out old roads, preparing and levelling sites, grading and preparing surfaces supplying and sowing seeds, etc.
For Messrs. dackaman & Son, Ltd., 13, Mackenzie Street, Slough.

WORCESTER MUNICIPAL AERODROME
Clearing site of all hedges, trees levelling, grading, preparation of Landing Ground and supplyin and sowing of seeds 90 acres.
Under supervision of R. Carey Walker, Esq. City Surveyor and Engineer Worcester.

RATCLIFFE AERODROME, LEICESTERSHIRE Construction of Hangars, Pilots' Residence, Store: Concrete Aprons, etc., etc.
Under supervision of T. Trevor Sawday Esq., Architect, London Road, Leicester. and Lieut.-Commander Phillips, R,N , Ratcliffe Aerodrome.

SEALAND R.A.F. AERODROME NEAR CHESTER Re-turfing, etc.
Under supervision of Superintending Engineer R.A.F. Grantham.

CATFOSS R.A.F. AERODROME YORKSHIRE Mole-draining, etc.-50 acres.
Under supervision of Superintending Engineer, R.A.F., Grantham.

LORD FURNESS, SURROUGH COURT, NEAR MELTON MOWBRAY Preparation of Landing Area and extension to Runway.

FIRBECK COUNTRY CLUB AERODROME. NEAR SHEFFIELD Clearing site of all hedges. trees ;drainage,
levelling and grading site ; cultivation of surface, and supplying and sowing seeds-5G acres Alss construction of all roads,
For C. Nicholson. Esq. Telephone Buildings,Sheffield.

REDHILL AERODROME REDHILL SURREY
Clearing site of hedges, etc. levelling draining, preparation and cultivation or surface supplying and sowing seeds-40 acres.
For British Transport Ltd., Croydon Aerodrom:. Surrey.

RINGWAY AIRPORT, MANCHESTER
Complete work of making Aerodrome including al clearance of site, concrete aprons, culverts, drains, levelling, preparation of surface over 147 acres. Under supervision of J. B. L..Meek, Esq., M.I.C.E.. City Engineer Town Hall Mancheeier 2.

Cheers
Dave

Paul Francis
20-05-2008, 10:49
This company also built the runways at Llanbedr and Caernafron airfields plus many others in WWII. Also parts of the bomb stores at Llanberis. They had joined forces with another company, whose name escapes me at present, to form British Runways Ltd. The company archives are now with Leicester County Record Office where there are extensive lists and costs in the form of a ledger of all projects that the two companies were involved with. Perhaps their claim to fame too is that they were the main manufacturer of the Uni-Seco prefabricated buildings. See my book British Military Airfield Architecture, for more details

contentd
20-05-2008, 12:25
Interesting thanks - Is this the book? - ISBN-13: 978-1852604622 (It's my birthday next week :D )

Paul Francis
20-05-2008, 13:16
No fraid not its 1 85260 462 X and to be honest your unlikely to find it now unless you want to pay silly money.

Stevo
20-05-2008, 13:25
Hi Paul

Just a thought

Why don't you get your book scanned as an Ebook and sell it yourself over the internet?

I'm sure there's plenty of people who would be still interested in it.

Stevo ;)

contentd
20-05-2008, 14:00
No fraid not its 1 85260 462 X and to be honest your unlikely to find it now unless you want to pay silly money.

For info: Waterstones, WH Smiths etc claim to have it available new at 11-99 (Book Butler lists quite a few options - at not silly money)

http://gb.bookbutler.com/do/bookCompare ... In=de&zip= (http://gb.bookbutler.com/do/bookCompare?searchFor=185260462X&amountIn=gbp&shipTo=gb&searchIn=de&zip=)

Paul Francis
20-05-2008, 14:08
An interesting thought Stevo but also a lot of work I fear. Its a shame the damn thing was writen using an ancient computer and not a modern one - then it would be easy. However I will be making a lot of my reports available to down load for free soon, beginning now with one on the unusual Picket Hamilton at Middle Wallop.

Paul Francis
20-05-2008, 14:17
Some of those shops Contentd dont have it in stock - good luck in getting one though.