PDA

View Full Version : Blue Streak Basing

WJT
06-08-2009, 22:15
I've just been watching Channel 4's More 4 version of i-player to look at the programme on Blue Streak, first broadcast last night. As part of the story the programme looked at the silos which would house the missile, and gave some hint of where they might have been located.

A close-up of a map showed a pin being placed close to Buntingford, and others in the vicinity of Clacton, running northwards. A wider-angle view of a geological map of England showed many pins in the map in a particular soil strata running south from King's Lynn.

Has anyone got any info on now declassified basing information for Blue Streak? Indeed, has anyone had sight of the drawings of the silos intended for Blue Streak?

chris29
21-09-2009, 23:26
Google Uk Airports and Airfields, crunch Nuthampstead, scroll west from there until you reach the A10, scroll south down the A10 until you come to the round-about which is at the junction of the A507. Now scroll gently in a westerly direction from the round-about and just off the junction and to the north where the A507 leaves the round-about you will see earth works and a BUNKER!!
This site has now been built on with industrial type sheds etc. but I would think this may interest you, though not having any other info I,m not sure whether this is what you are looking for re. Blue Streak but its certainly a possibility I think.

Ossington_2008
23-09-2009, 10:19
I know they had pencilled in Duxford as a silo location but only because it was geographically close to DH rockets at Hatfield - a chance to fine tune the design & geological requirements. If any other locations were considered, I'd like to know.

IanDDavidson
18-08-2011, 22:45
Google Uk Airports and Airfields, crunch Nuthampstead, scroll west from there until you reach the A10, scroll south down the A10 until you come to the round-about which is at the junction of the A507. Now scroll gently in a westerly direction from the round-about and just off the junction and to the north where the A507 leaves the round-about you will see earth works and a BUNKER!!
This site has now been built on with industrial type sheds etc. but I would think this may interest you, though not having any other info I,m not sure whether this is what you are looking for re. Blue Streak but its certainly a possibility I think.

I checked this one and it is a covered reservoir. Latest google map and photos suggest it could be disused.

Paul Francis
18-08-2011, 23:00
I am sure there was a scale test model of a silo constructed on the airfield at Westcot well at least the ground level door arrangment - think EH took a look at it some years ago. Funny that this thread has been bumped, Only yesterday I was cateloguing the pictures we have of the Blue Streak test stand area, its bunkers and fuel dump pond etc at Hatfield. This off course being a small part of the collection that we have on Hatfield and de Havilland.

canberra
18-08-2011, 23:52
Wasnt Blue Streak tested at Spadeadam?

And off topis, Blue Streak was the nick name of the LNER loco Mallard.

Paul Francis
19-08-2011, 07:58
Yes at Spadeadam and Hatfield

Jerry
19-08-2011, 10:11
RAF Spadeadam website: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafspadeadam/aboutus/history.cfm
and a couple more links:
http://www.visitcumbria.com/car/gilsland-spadeadam.htm
http://www.bunkertours.co.uk/spadeadam.htm
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/s/spadeadam/
http://www.nielspapermodels.com/bluestreak.htm

IanDDavidson
15-09-2011, 22:30
I am sure there was a scale test model of a silo constructed on the airfield at Westcot well at least the ground level door arrangment - think EH took a look at it some years ago. Funny that this thread has been bumped, Only yesterday I was cateloguing the pictures we have of the Blue Streak test stand area, its bunkers and fuel dump pond etc at Hatfield. This off course being a small part of the collection that we have on Hatfield and de Havilland.

There is/was a 1/4 scale model of the silo mock-up at Westcott. There are at least three segments shown in a photograph on page 48 of "Cold War: Building for Nuclear Confrontation 1946-1989" Cocroft and Thomas. ISBN 1 873592 69 8

YellowPinkie
16-09-2011, 22:03
The British silo technology was "shared" with the Americans (not sure what we got in return...) and used in their Titan II programme I believe.

Roy Domett's paper www.brohp.org.uk/downloads/prospero2_article.pdf states on page 26 that the Blue Streak system would be deployed on existing Thor sites, which would make sense. It's a very good read actually.

I have also seen on t'internet somewhere, photographs of part of a Blue Streak that was launched from Woomera in Australia, and came back to earth and was only discovered recently, I recall that the coordinates for its location could be had for several thousand dollars!

Edit: Knew I hadn't imagined it; www.abc.net.au/news/2008-06-04/rocket-wreckage-found-in-outback/2460640

Thor43
17-09-2011, 18:03
CND were convinced that RAF Watton was being prepared for Blue Streak. There is little in TNA to confirm or deny the potential sites but maybe the program was just not far enough down the line for the actual planning to get further than a preliminary view?

YellowPinkie
17-09-2011, 18:18
CND were convinced that RAF Watton was being prepared for Blue Streak. There is little in TNA to confirm or deny the potential sites but maybe the program was just not far enough down the line for the actual planning to get further than a preliminary view?

It was nowhere near a viable weapon at the time of cancellation so, I think this is probably right. CND were remarkably well informed during the Thor build up, so perhaps we should be looking in their archives...?

Thor43
17-09-2011, 18:27
The insignificant pond at OS Grid: NY 62795 73814 is the remains of the excavations for the prototype Blue Streak U1 silo at RAF Spadeadam.

YellowPinkie
17-09-2011, 18:49
Why on Earth would they dig it in a place that would surely flood? To hide it? I assume the stream was diverted before or after?

Thor43
17-09-2011, 19:12
Exactly. So the Soviet's wouldn't think to look there? It is of course close by the Blue Streak Test Stands.

YellowPinkie
17-09-2011, 22:39
Exactly. So the Soviet's wouldn't think to look there? It is of course close by the Blue Streak Test Stands.

There is a Blue Streak, or at least a large chunk of one, in the car park at Spadeadam. It should be in a museum: ( EnglishCheese is me on that forum, when will I learn to pick sensible usernames?)

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1272705&Searchpage=1&Main=845233&Words=EnglishCheese&Search=true#Post1272705

More info on the Blue Streak test silo:
www.spaceuk.org/journal/prospero3.pdf

Chris Lowe
17-09-2011, 22:54
An ex colleague of mine has a small part of one as a garden ornament, he got it when he worked in the drawing office.

YellowPinkie
17-09-2011, 22:59
An ex colleague of mine has a small part of one as a garden ornament, he got it when he worked in the drawing office.

Now, an up turned rocket motor as a planter, I wonder if I could convince the current Mrs Pinkie that would be a good idea...?

Harboda77
17-01-2014, 08:55
The British silo technology was "shared" with the Americans (not sure what we got in return...) and used in their Titan II programme I believe.

Roy Domett's paper www.brohp.org.uk/downloads/prospero2_article.pdf states on page 26 that the Blue Streak system would be deployed on existing Thor sites, which would make sense. It's a very good read actually.

1) My ex ( USAF ) RAF Upper Heyford colleagues all finished their active career days down at Davis Monthan AFB ~ so when they opened up their local Titan II Silo ( Route 19 heading south for the Mexican Boarder ) for public visits ~ we went along and one of the senior tour guides had been based out in one of the mid west silo's ( Oklahoma ? ) ~ He gave us a look see into the lower pump room at the sub 140 foot level ( Not included then in the standard public tour )

During their normal post tour banter I told him of my interest having spent time at RAE/RPE Westcott in the 19060's ~ He apparently had been involved in the early construction days and told me that the ' Brits ' were only interested in the construction and commissioning of the lower pump rooms for their Regional Seats of Government ( A place where the political class and their families could hid out was how he described it )

2) During my time at RPE they had been experimenting with an alternative method to the ' Gimble ' which we knew as TVC ( Thrust Vector Control ) however a well known politician ( who's middle name chimed with crockery ) drove down and effectively closed most of the programs down on the pretext that the country was bankrupt and could not afford to spend money it did not have on R&D and Subsequent Manufacture.

One of senior staffers was over heard to say that we had been bankrupt since 1940 and that had not stopped us making everything and getting Blue Steak to fly without failure plus get the ' V ' force build & airborne and in fifty years time we would be making nothing and still be bankrupt.

Note: The nick name for a Empty Blue Streak Fuel Cell at the time had been a Tony Wedgewood ~ A big large shiny thing that made a loud sound when you gently tapped it but was devoid of any contents.

This forum brings back lost memories.