PDA

View Full Version : Macclesfield

drailton
11-09-2009, 15:21
I have been told a number of times that pre WWII there was, for a time, an airfield at Danes Moss, south of Macclesfield. The information given to me about the location was very specific but was second hand. I have not been able to find anyone who actually remembers seeing activity at the site nor have I found any written sources of information.

The location was supposedly at the north end of Danes Moss between the A536 Congleton Road and the A523 Leek Road. If you look at this on Google maps: http://tinyurl.com/nwumhv the area I am referring to is the open space in the centre of picture the northern edge of which has more recently been built on. In this new housing there is 'Flying Fields Drive'!

Does anyone have any evidence that this site was used for aeronautical activity?

PNK
11-09-2009, 20:14
There is mention of an aerodrome or landing ground called Congleton Road in John F Hamlin's "Peaceful Fields".

This is one of the briefest entries in the book and states it was used around 1920. No location details are given.

This could well be the site as it would have probably been open country then.

drailton
12-09-2009, 13:06
Thanks for that. The only possible reference to this site that I have seen in print is in 'Aviation in Manchester: A Short History' by Brian R Robinson. It has: "Higginbotham towed his Bleriot from his home to a field beside Congleton Road and succeeded in becoming airborne but found that he could not get over the surrounding hedge. He took the machine to Freshfield and learnt to fly, obtaining Royal Aero Club Certificate No.96.". I am not at all sure that this is the same place although it must have been nearby.

Fat Nav
21-06-2011, 19:10
My farther recalled a flying circus visiting the field behind the Rising Sun when he was little in the 1920s, which is more a likely site than the other side of the road where Flying Fields Drive is situated as its was still peat bog until after WW2. The reason I have that bit of info is that the land owner tried to drain the field during the war and my farther ploughed itn with a tractor as they couldn't get horses on it as they sunk everytime they entered the field. He recalled that he was ok as long as he kept moving but as he drove along there was a 6" bow wave running infront of him all accross the field. They set it to barley and in the August they brought a traction engine and threshing box to the field. They managed to save the threshing box but the traction engine is still appreantly there, in the middle, sunk with its engine still at full steam.

There was talk in the 60s about that area of the Moss becoming a heliport if I remember rightly from my schooldays. Don't know if there any information on that anywhere. I know the RAF have used the football field just accross from the Rising Sun several times to land helicopters on.

PETERTHEEATER
22-06-2011, 06:38
I note that on current mapping that Danes Moss is shown as a 'Landfill Site' I should have thought that access would be very difficult!

drailton
22-06-2011, 12:07
Fat Nav,

Do you think that the field used for the flying circus was the one your father ploughed or an adjacent field. On Google Maps I see a quite small field immediatly behind the Rising Sun that does not appear to be cultivated. Is that the field the field your father ploughed. It looks too small to me for anyone to attempt to use it to take off or land. The surrounding fields are bigger and all appear to be under cultivation. Could it be one of these fields.