PDA

View Full Version : Woodford

WJT
15-09-2009, 13:03
BAE Systems has announced the closure of Woodford at the end of 2012:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8256404.stm

PNK
15-09-2009, 20:21
I dread opening your next post! More bad news!

Come the time it may be worth contacting BAE to see if they have any material that could be saved for the Archive. Otherwise we'll take it in turns to "skip watch".

Better still could we organise a clearing party to remove all the stuff they would throw for them?

Just a thought!

buccaneer66
15-09-2009, 20:46
I remember going to Woodford in the 80's to measure some things up for work that we where doing on the ATP and they had a load of Buccaneer's in for refurb, and it was fascinating being shown some of the original A V Roe drawings for some of their early bi planes.

It was just before my visit there that the hanger collapse occurred that damaged Lancaster KB976 that was there being restored to airworthy condition, I wasn't unfortunately allowed to go have a look.

It's a shame such a historic place is closing.

PJH
16-09-2009, 18:22
BAES used to have a small heritage room, not far from the main gate, and manned by volunteers. I think they managed to preserve a lot of records on the history of the site. I seem to recall that author and sometime ARG member Harry Holmes used to be part of the management team. Does anyone have his details so that we could enquire about what's happening to their archive?

Peter

ianbache
21-05-2010, 12:56
Hi all
here is a image sent to me showing the Lancaster production line at Woodford but unfortunately has no date
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/LLanbedr/lancasters_in_productionWoodford.jpg

jeta1
07-09-2010, 18:13
I have so many memories of 'Woodford' airshows in 70's and 80's and currently live just 3 miles from the front gates to the factory. I often drive near the airfield wishing I could have been there 50-60 years ago, there would have been some incredible sites to see in our local sky.

It would make real sense to keep the airfield open for corporate/GA aircraft, you would have thought that being so close to Manchester city centre would be a real advantage; but it just doesn't seem likely to happen.

There have be plans locally to try and arrange just one more Airshow before the airfield closes. The idea came about in the run up to the general election, however it was driven by the loosing candidate, so not sure what will happen now.

I would have thought that there are so many significant links to aviation history it should be possible to secure some sort of reprieve but no one has come forward with a suitable case so far.

I'm sure many tears will be shed when the last aircraft departs from the field.

Richard Flagg
12-12-2010, 18:15
From the BBC;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11945811

BAE Woodford Nimrod plant to 'close early'

The BAE Systems' Woodford plant, near Stockport, could close a year earlier than expected, the BBC has learned.

It has emerged the plant could close within months, instead of in 2012 as originally planned.

The plant, which employs 450 people, was due to close in 2012 following the government's decision to abandon £4bn upgrading of the Nimrod aircraft.

BAE systems declined to comment but the BBC understands an official announcement is due on Thursday.

It has emerged that the plant could effectively close in the early months of next year.

The company is also expected to confirm it will start to dismantle the Nimrod planes before the end of the year.

A union spokesman said this would represent "the world's most expensive pile of scrap metal".

The decision will affect hundreds more staff in Lancashire who were expecting to provide "in service support" for the Nimrods.

WJT
12-12-2010, 20:36
The Woodford staff won't dismantle the MRA4s - too expensive. They will be dragged out into the open and munched by Komatsu 360s. I understand that there is a plan for BAE Systems to make some form of Avro heritage centre from the sports club on the far side of the airfield (near the golf course) and that would remain after the airfield was covered in houses. I am told there are two of the development MRA4s in that area already - perhaps one will be kept? And perhaps it is not too late for XM603 to be towed over there as well?

canberra
13-12-2010, 12:57
Apparently only one MRA4 has ever flown.

Yes it is sad, but what I find even more sad is that a project which in 1996 was going to cost 2.2 billion for 21 aircraft ended up costing 3.5 billion quid for no aircraft. If BAE maangement had any decency they would sack those responsible, and MOD and the RAF would sack those responsible on its side.

And what we forget is its our money thats been wasted!!!!

mawganmad
13-12-2010, 18:45
Apparently only one MRA4 has ever flown.

Five MRA.4s have flown, unfortunately this is one project that should never have gone ahead in the first place.
The RAF didn't really want another Nimrod development (as excellent as the MR.1/2 was in its time), one major reason is the tight internal space for both kit and crew, something that was realised with the previous fiasco, the Nimrod AEW.
No one else wants the aircraft as it would supremely expensive to operate this unique type, and the sad fact is that maritime reconnaissance is a dwindling role worldwide.
Apparently most of the airframes are being offered to museums, though I can't see why anyone would want to display a large example of a very expensive and backward project which should never have gone ahead, and never entered service.

As very sad as it is to see Woodford close and it's employees made redundant, I guess the Nimrod cancellation now just brings forward the closure date.

WJT
13-12-2010, 23:53
I have been told that all the Avro heritage stuff should go to the new Heritage Centre which they are trying to set up in the old Sports Club. If that does not happen I presume all the heritage material, that which does not get skipped that is, will go to the BAE Systems archive at Farnborough.

Smoggieboy
24-12-2010, 12:02
A certain storage airfield in Shropshire was asked could they park 7 Nimrods in open store ? The answer was yes so I guess we'll have to wait and see !!

Molesworth
24-12-2010, 23:38
One major problem for this country is the lack of long range SAR cover.

And I didnt realise five Nimrods had flown, and yes they do have major problems with the lack of space on board. How do the specials get own with over 20 people in the crew?

Nimrod R1 schematic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Molesworth/NimrodR10039.jpg

WJT
06-06-2011, 11:54
BAE Systems has just sold its Asset Management Organisation and the 151 BAE 146 and Jetstreams that it owned (for a knock-down price).

The future of Woodford is now on the table:

http://www.futurewoodford.co.uk/

tigger
01-08-2011, 20:11
I didn't attempt to take any photos of XM603 through the fence but somewhere in the house I have photos of it arriving in 1982 (cammo paintwork) and static at most of the airshows after that.

edit. just come across this : http://www.edendale.co.uk/ANW/WFD.XM603.3.html ...maybe they'd allow use of one or two of the photos if the group didn't get a suitable one

buccaneer66
02-08-2011, 00:00
Taken through the fence XM603 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/Buccaneer66/Airfields/Woodford/CRL-Woodford-0711-001a.jpg

EGNK
25-08-2011, 17:55
Woodford closed at 1632 today as the last aircraft departed. 87 years flying finished with a Piper Cherokee . It would have been nice if it could have been the BBMF Lanc.

jbmack
26-08-2011, 22:42
http://derbosoft.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=local&action=display&thread=6436

If the above link will work, some recent pics and video on the NWAN forum.

jbmack

WJT
11-10-2011, 22:06
From another Forum - exit Coltishall, enter Woodford:

"Just heard that JCB have bought the BAE Woodford site and its being reinstated as a operational airfield. Its being turned into a bizjet park and also a aircraft scrapping and reclamation centre."

This might be a better site for the job than Coltishall. A massive, experienced workforce on tap, lots of big hangars and perhaps the location will benefit from the development area status granted to areas suffering from the massive redundancies within BAE Systems.

Of course, there is also a track record of scrapping aircraft at Woodford!

Carnaby
11-10-2011, 23:05
Of course, there is also a track record of scrapping aircraft at Woodford!
Pointed out in no uncertain terms on the recent ARG visit!

Reinstated as an operational airfield - wonderful.

The alternative of building lots of 'affordable houses' in Woodford was not popular option.

WJT
12-10-2011, 12:24
More:

Woodford site to be used as film studio12 Oct 2011, 10:51

The 500-acre Woodford Aerodrome site near Stockport is to be turned into a film studio.
Regional screen agency Vision+Media has confirmed the move but it is not yet clear how it will fit in with an ongoing public consultation over future uses of the site.
Earlier this year Stockport Council, Cheshire East Council and landowner BAE Systems held a series of public exhibitions and design workshops to find out local people's views and aspirations for the site.
Private as well as social housing, a medical centre and sports facilities were among the most popular options.
On Wednesday Stockport Council said it was still preparing a 'Supplementary Planning Document' which will be formally adopted in spring 2012 and guide the future redevelopment of the site.
Meanwhile, it appears that BAE, which is closing the site, has been holding talks with Vision+Media and a businessman called John Harvey about using it for film production.
Harvey incorporated Woodford Film Studios Ltd on September 26 and Vision+Media publicised the new location in its newsletter on Tuesday.
It said: "The site offers huge production build facilities, office accommodation, vast expanse of hard standing and green space for technical parking plus many individual annex buildings for storage, construction and prop houses. Full phase power & water facilities are present throughout the site."
Vision+Media's Kaye Elliot told media news website How-Do the move could revolutionise the film industry in the region which was lacking a production space for feature films.
Elliot and BAE's spokesperson were unavailable for comment.

jeta1
14-10-2011, 03:59
Story in Manchester Evening News of 13.0ct.2011 suggests the 'film-set' option could be set to go ahead.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/business/s/1461724_bae-woodford-could-become-film-studio-after-sale-bid-accepted-

Wonder if they would keep the airfield operational? it would certainly be convenient for flying cast members in and out ....

Jenna
14-10-2011, 10:00
Thats interesting as I herd that Vision+Media were laying staff off :confused:

Kaye Elliott works for Creative England!

WJT
14-10-2011, 19:40
Yet more, from Manchester Evening News on 13 Oct:

BAE Woodford could become film studio after sale bid acceptedby Adam Jupp
October 13, 2011

BAE Systems has confirmed it has accepted an offer for its site at Woodford, which could see the site turned into a film studio
The 500-acre plot is set to shut in March next year after the government axed its Nimrod programme.
BAE, Stockport Council and Cheshire East Council have held a series on public exhibitions to seek locals’ views about what should be done with the site.
Now, BAE, which earlier this month announced 3,000 job cuts, has confirmed it is in talks to sell Woodford.
The MEN understands the bidder, whose identity is not being revealed at this stage, has ambitions to convert the site into a film studio.
Screen agency Vision + Media has identified the site as a potential film set and the organisation this week published a newsletter, which said: "The site offers huge production build facilities, office accommodation, vast expanse of hard standing and green space for technical parking plus many individual annex buildings for storage, construction and prop houses. Full phase power & water facilities are present throughout the site."
The MEN understands Vision + Media is not the organisation in talks to buy Woodford but would seek to work with the new owners to attract film projects to the region.
In a statement BAE said: "BAE Systems can confirm that we have accepted an offer for the BAE Systems site at Woodford in Cheshire. We are in negotiation for the purchase of the site and the sale will be confirmed, subject to contract. Further information will be made available upon conclusion of the sale."

WJT
18-10-2011, 17:09
From the Manchester Evening News:

BAE Woodford site purchaser revealed as JCB heirOctober 18, 2011
Close Map (http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/#)
http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/634.$plit/C_71_article_1462075_image_list_image_list_item_0_ image.jpg?17%2F10%2F2011%2017%3A09%3A35%3A408

The billionaire heir to the JCB empire is behind plans to buy BAE Systems' Woodford site, the MEN can today reveal. Jo Bamford hopes to tie-up a deal to buy the 500 acre site in the coming weeks, with a view to transforming it into film studios, housing and a leisure complex, including an equestrian centre and point-to-point race course.

Once the deal, understood to worth be up to £100m, goes through, Mr Bamford will install a team to run the Woodford operation, led by business associate Harry Harvey and director of operations James Fletcher. British producer Piers Tempest, a friend of Mr Bamford, will lead the film studio element of the project and the MEN has been told he has already had talks about shooting a blockbuster at the site.

A spokesman for Mr Bamford, grandson of Joseph Cyril Bamford, the founder of JCB, said he will have a personal office at Woodford, from where he will run some of his own personal business interests. However, there are no immediate plans for it to become a key site for JCB's operations. Mr Fletcher, a former national newspaper journalist who also runs his own PR company, said: "We are really excited about the potential for Woodford and we can't wait to get started. "We know that BAE have worked closely with the local community and neighbouring authorities, Stockport and Cheshire East, to safeguard the site's future and we have vowed to continue that work.”

BAE announced it was closing the Woodford site after the government scrapped the Nimrod project. The firm confirmed last week it had accepted an offer for the site. Earlier this year, Stockport Council, Cheshire East Council and BAE held a series of public consultations to get locals' views on what should happen to Woodford, with housing and sports facilities among the most popular submissions.

The deal to sell the site to Mr Bamford could conclude in under a month and the MEN understands his plans involve creating a film studio at the south of the site, while a mix of affordable and luxury homes would be built to the north. Woodford's historic links with the aviation industry will be maintained with the retention of the runway and the development of a new heritage centre on the site of the original Avro hanger. However, all this would have to comply with a Supplementary Planning Document being prepared by Stockport Council.

Mr Fletcher added: "The local residents have expressed a number of concerns and desires during the recent consultation period and we have attempted to embrace those thoughts in our plans. "We will continue that work with the local community as soon as we are in a position to do so. "We are committed to the area, a number of our team live locally and Woodford will become the long term HQ for our business interests and we hope to become part of the Woodford community.

"It is difficult to discuss our plans in any real detail until contracts have been completed and Stockport Council have published their Supplementary Planning Document." BAE has also confirmed it had received a previous approach to use Woodford as a film location, after being approached by agency Vision + Media, who had brought “senior LA production company executives” to look at it. Vision + Media yesterday issued a statement, saying it hoped to resurrect talks it had begun once the deal is completed. It said: “We hope to continue these discussions with the new owners when the site is finally sold, as it has such potential for part use as a feature film studio.”

Mr Harvey is the former owner of Hough Hall Investment, in Bollington, near Macclesfield.

Aeronut
15-11-2011, 21:11
Here's a drawing of Woodford dated 1943.6716
It is one of the sites on this print of AVRO's sites. 6717

WJT
20-12-2011, 15:03
Sold - to the man with the yellow digger: sorry, Avro Heritage.

http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/archive/10771-bamford-completes-woodford-deal.html

Bamford completes Woodford deal20 Dec 2011, 10:13

BAE Systems has completed the sale of its 502-acre Woodford site in Stockport and east Cheshire to Avro Heritage, controlled by JCB heir Joe Bamford. Bamford made the purchase through Avro Heritage, formerly called JCB Real Estate, at a price understood to be around £100m. Under the terms of the deal Bamford will protect the site's association with the aviation industry in future development.

Jim Welsh, Woodford site general manager for BAE Systems, said: "BAE Systems has a long and proud association with Woodford and although disappointed to be leaving the site we are happy that the new owners have exciting plans for this historically important site."

Those plans include housing and leisure uses such as a polo club and equestrian centre. Bamford has teamed up with Wilmslow farmers and property investors Harry and Dave Harvey to develop the site. The Harveys are masters of the drag hunt with the Cheshire Farmers Drag Hunt, based at their Hough Hall farm in Prestbury Road. As part of the sale, the existing golf club and heritage care in the process of extending their leases to remain on the site.

There are 1.7m sq ft of industrial premises at the site and Bamford and his team are in talks with a US move company over a short-term lease to produce a film in 2012. The acquisition is not a corporate JCB deal and there will be no manufacture of diggers at the site,m contrary to local rumour.

James Fletcher, spokesman for Avro Heritage, said: "We are honoured to take ownership of such a historic site and we will endeavour to ensure its past is not forgotten. "We have many exciting plans for the site which will hopefully create new jobs and provide the local community with much needed leisure facilities."

BAE Systems had a presence at the Woodford site since 1924 and manufactured 20,000 aircraft at the facility including the Lancaster Bomber, Canberra, Vulcan, Nimrod and Avro jets.

WJT
25-05-2012, 11:15
So its going to be a 1,000 houses in "Woodford Garden Village". I suppoase you can call a window box a garden!

1,000 houses, school and pub plan for home of the Nimrod at former BAE site in Woodford

Exclusive by Matthew Davis
May 25, 2012

http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/215.$plit/C_71_article_1531969_image_list_image_list_item_0_ image.jpg?25%2F05%2F2012%2008%3A13%3A31%3A336

READY FOR TAKE-OFF: Developers were today due to reveal plans for Woodford Garden Village on the site of the former BAE Systems base. They propose to build almost 1,000 homes, a primary school, shops and a pub, but concerns have been voiced about the potential scale of the project.

Controversial plans to build nearly 1,000 homes on the site of the former BAE Systems at Woodford were being revealed today. The multi-million pound development would see the existing village near Stockport almost TRIPLE in size.

Plans include a primary school, shops and a pub. The 500-acre scheme would be called ‘Woodford Garden Village’.
The plans were being announced by developers Avro Heritage, who bought the site from defence giant BAE Systems six months ago. Mark Hunter, MP for Cheadle, voiced reservations about the scale of the proposals. He said: "My primary concern is that it will dwarf the established Woodford community.

"The plans have changed significantly from what was first proposed and now include a much bigger residential development aspect as well as a new school and a public house. "Clearly, there are implications for the established local community – not least on traffic impacts – and I am particularly keen to hear their views. "The views of local people are important and should be taken into account at each stage."

Debate over the future of the site – sold by BAE after the government axed its Nimrod contract in 2010 – has raged for years. Six months ago, plans were announced for a film studio, equestrian centre and a select development of homes.
The new blueprint – drawn up for Avro by housing developers Redrow – will see 950 luxury and affordable homes built instead, far more than originally expected.

Iain Roberts, Stockport council’s executive member for regeneration, said the plans were not set in stone.
He said: "We are at the first stage and waiting to hear what people’s opinions are on the plans – which is critical."

Consultations were due today at the Woodford Aerodrome, Chester Road, Woodford, between 2pm-7pm and tomorrow at Poynton Civic Hall, Park Lane, Poynton, between 10am-4pm.

jeta1
01-06-2012, 12:57
From the Manchester Evening News:

BAE Woodford site purchaser revealed as JCB heirOctober 18, 2011
Close Map (http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/#)
http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/634.$plit/C_71_article_1462075_image_list_image_list_item_0_ image.jpg?17%2F10%2F2011%2017%3A09%3A35%3A408

Mr Fletcher added: "The local residents have expressed a number of concerns and desires during the recent consultation period and we have attempted to embrace those thoughts in our plans. "We will continue that work with the local community as soon as we are in a position to do so. "We are committed to the area, a number of our team live locally and Woodford will become the long term HQ for our business interests and we hope to become part of the Woodford community.

The concern of local residents was first raised in relation to the plan for 300+ never mind the recently announced 1000 homes. I think the use of the name "Woodford Heritage" by the developers name has been a smoke screen behind which is a company planning the residential development. There may be a visitors centre which captures some of the aviation heritage, but sounds as though any thoughts of a runway remaining are gone! Shame ...

BTW I'm a local resident who would far rather see the airfiled brought back to life. Our local infrastructure couldn't deal with 1000 new homes without considerable improvment.

Richard Flagg
11-06-2012, 13:21
Can anyone confirm how many and what typ of hangars were built at Woodford?

EGNK
11-06-2012, 18:00
I was told when I worked there that the flight sheds were imported from scandinavia.

WJT
30-07-2012, 14:23
The Supplementary Planning Document has been published - bye-bye aviation:

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/documents/s20538/8b%20Woodford%20SPD%20for%20Consultation.pdf

jeta1
30-07-2012, 15:22
The Supplementary Planning Document has been published - bye-bye aviation:

I think there had been some 'kid-ology' in some of the earlier press releases that there was a glimmer of hope for aviation to continue ... the SPD makes it clear that there will be no more aviation activity from the site.

The scale of residential development appears greater than first talked about, with that in mind it is inconceivable that there would be an aviation activity alongside such a development.

Strange that the report states the close proximity of MAN is a problem, given the number of years the two sites have co-existed.

However the heritage centre appears to be getting a new home and the Vulcan will become an outside exhibit at the centre, also think the control tower and one or two of the buildings are to remain.

WJT
30-07-2012, 15:33
JetA1: I think you are right. It is interesting to see that Redrow Homes seem already to own half of the site and that they have an option to buy much of the remainder from Avro Heritage Ltd - aka J C Bamford.

Presumably the crushed concrete from the runways and the buildings will serve as harcore for the new roads and houses.

Given the heritage 'ticket' on which it announced its presence, I wonder if Avro Heritage Ltd would entertain an ARG survey of the site before the buildings are demolished? We do not have too many aircraft manufacturing sites left now. Indeed, is there anything to interest English Heritage? With Norwichpaul's recent success with the Seaplane Shed, a quick Grade 2 listing might scuttle someone's plans - for a week or two at least.

EGNK
03-08-2012, 21:47
They may have some fun in the Southwest quadrant of the airfield it is very swampy.I remember when they dug the pits for the RHAGS they filled with water overnight.

EGNK
04-08-2012, 22:48
Last 4 jet maiden flight at Woodford http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA8d_YhIS1g&feature=player_embedded#t=0s

Richard Flagg
29-10-2012, 09:52
An undated photo of two Vulcans at Woodford from Nigel Bailey-Underwood

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/CHESHIRE/Woodford/Woodford.jpg

tigger
29-10-2012, 10:05
An undated photo of two Vulcans at Woodford from Nigel Bailey-Underwood

Three but one is somewhat smaller!

Bomber
29-10-2012, 11:49
Hi Every one i think the photo was around 1993/4 i am on that photo some where in the crowed . If my memory is correct it teemed it down with rain & we had to be towed off the airfield & I do remember sheltering under Woodfords Vulcan .
Regards ,
Bomber .

stevie
29-10-2012, 12:58
Hi Every one i think the photo was around 1993/4 i am on that photo some where in the crowed . If my memory is correct it teemed it down with rain & we had to be towed off the airfield & I do remember sheltering under Woodfords Vulcan .
Regards ,
Bomber .

It was at the 1990 airshow. From what i remember they parked them both nose to nose to celebrate '558's 30th birthday. '558 wasn't display flying in 93 or 94.

stevie
30-10-2012, 22:56
You are correct Steve my memory must be going . I should have known it was not 1993 as I was at Waddington when the Vulcan flew for the last time under RAF control in March 25th 1993. :roll:

Al, it was March 23rd 1993 ;)

mawganmad
16-11-2012, 10:03
Apparently this new book on Woodford is pretty good, http://ringwaypublications.com/shop/books/

jeta1
28-12-2012, 13:48
I live nearby and often take a drive down the back lane to the AVRO golf club (which will remain as part of the development agreement).

For the time being there is occasional activity by a group of large scale RC model aircraft, obviously it is a superb location for them while it lasts.

I've also noticed that there is some activity happening with the white Vulcan (XM 603?) the cockpit has been covered by a blue tarp on a couple of occasions but not on others; anyone know what is happening?

It is very sad to look through the fence and see only the white Vulcan as a sign of past activity ...

And the battle regarding 300 houses or 900 houses continues ...

canberra
25-02-2014, 19:34
Ive just had a look at the BBC Manchester website and there are plans for a museum here. Apparently it will be located at the former fire station, and there will be a Vulcan on display.

Bomber
25-02-2014, 21:57
That would be great at least it keeps the history of Avroe's a live .
Keep us informed on any progress.
Regards ,
Bomber.

jorge
25-02-2014, 21:59
The plans have always included keeping the AVRO Heritage Centre and XM603 on site

Aeronut
25-02-2014, 22:25
I was fortunate to have a tour of Avro Heritage at Woodford last year and got to see the Fire station that will their new museum
which already had an inmate.
Outside 603 was looking a little worst for wear but as the Avro Heritage chaps were at pains to point out it wasn't (yet) their responsibility.
Evidence of the Metal Moth on 603 were evident.
Incidentally the main factory showed signs of being used as a training area for the security services, with large holes having been blown through the walls.

jorge
25-02-2014, 22:45
XM602 nose section was offered to AVRO Heritage a few years ago but they didn't have space for it. It was transferred from Bruntingthorp to MOSI (though not displayed) then to Woodford last year when the fire station was uidentified as the new Heritage Centre location. It was publicly displayed briefly at last years Aviation Fair at Ringway

Richard Flagg
05-03-2014, 23:54
BBC News article;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-26337237

Planning info here;
http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/edrms/onlinemvm/mvmedrms.asp?DCNumber=DC054569

PNK
06-03-2014, 00:19
Does than mean the Vulcan has now been out of service longer than it was in service? Also, I hope it will be in anti-flash white.

mawganmad
06-03-2014, 09:10
Gone past the tipping point, Vulcans were retired 30 years ago at the end of this month, they saw just under 27 years of RAF service.
I take it the Vulcan that will be displayed would be XM603 which is on site? If so that is in the all over white scheme.

jorge
06-03-2014, 09:42
Gone past the tipping point, Vulcans were retired 30 years ago at the end of this month, they saw just under 27 years of RAF service.
I take it the Vulcan that will be displayed would be XM603 which is on site? If so that is in the all over white scheme.

Yes it is 603 they will be keeping on site...hopefully returned to anti-flash white rather than the pale algae-green it is currently displayed in!

mawganmad
06-03-2014, 10:36
Very true, unfortunately it's had a mixed past recently care wise but hopefully it can be returend to the gleaming white, ground running condition that it was once in not so long ago.