PDA

View Full Version : ALTRINCHAM - NGR please

PETERTHEEATER
26-09-2009, 08:23
Can someone give me the location of the Altrincham pre-war AAP please. Nominal centre of the site will do fine.

Carnaby
26-09-2009, 12:55
The very large site is to the west of Dairy House Farm on the outskirts of Altrincham (SJ7589) here (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=53.403417443863695&lon=-2.380664348602295&gz=16&oz=7&gt=1). No.2 Stores Depot (later 2 MU) opened on 1 April 1924 at Broad heath, Altrincham as the RAF's Store for all types of ammunition, bombs and pyrotechnics.

It was fed via a spur from the L&NWR Warrington and Stockport line to the south. A number of sidings and four spurs (denoted 'A' to 'D') supplied the sixteen dispersed explosives sheds and magazines. Many of the original building were of PB construction, dating back to 1924. The vast majority had gone by 1985.

The plan (AM 715/45) show gems such as Incendiary Bomb Tunnel, Bomb Proof Yard, Chronograph Hut, Fired Brass Platform, Muffle Furnace, Tetrachloride Store, Soldering Shop, Weighbridge, Proofing Tower, Inspection Bond, plus numerous huts and earth closets for Italian Co-operators.

Designed in the 1920s, the site was totally unsuitable for the requirements of WWII, and was demoted to SAA and Pyro storage by 1939. The Luftwaffe hit it hard in 1941 with 300 incendiaries, plus HE. During 1950 extra buildings were constructed to store .303 and .5 ammunition. In 1955 it was to be used for:-

Titanium tetrachloride filling of 8.5lb practise bombs
Receipt inspection and sale of "fired brass"
Receipt inspection and maintenance of non-explosives
Receipt inspection and maintenance of empty explosives containers.

It closed 15 March 1957. A fascinating site - just wished I'd been aware of its existence before demolition - my first visit c.1990 revealed only the buffers at the end of the (removed) rail spurs and sidings, plus a few buildings on the main site.

The Main Site was here (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=swzwc5gt22ww&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=29546985&encType=1%22) All appear to have gone - except for the Bellman Hangar (8349/37) (scroll north a fraction).

This (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=sx0trmgt18c2&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=29546759&encType=1) is the base of No.10 Explosives shed (184/24) the 'B' railway line ran along the top, and to the left are the buffers. TO the south are some other shed and magazine bases.

For some reason many current websites (wiki type) refer to it as Sinderland. Don't know where that came from - as much of the other info came indirectly from me.

Graham

(Just had a another wierdy - a few days ago I posted a Bing link which later moved 200 miles. Just rechecked one of the above links and it had relocated to the middle of the USA.) :oops:

PETERTHEEATER
27-09-2009, 08:31
That will do nicely Graham, thank you.

In passing, in your other current thread re the Balsall Common 'hangar', the OP in the Prune forum was also queryng Sinderland.

A lot of notes from my previous research are boxed somewhere in the loft of my son's house in the UK and I'm trying to re-assemble my records at long range!

Just adding some more comments. One of the onerous tasks in my later career was filling the 'tin' tails of 8.5 pound practice bombs with Titanium Tetrachloride liquid. This came in 45 gallon (200 litre) drum which had to be heaved up onto a stillage after removing the screwed bung and installing a tap (faucet). The tails had a screwed plug with a seal and this was removed and the TT fed in from the tap until the tail was full. TT (also known as FM Mixture) would spontaneously prduce a dense white smoke on contact with air. So, in the days before Health and Safety the person filling would be wreathed in white smoke which was unpleasant to breathe. Invariably, spills and drips occurred which added to the impression that there was a fire in progress and often resulted in someone sounding the alarm.

Happily, this procedure was made obsolete by the introduction of PB's with tails pre-filled with a powder mixture which gave off both smoke and flame so they could be used day or night and 'spotted'

Carnaby
27-09-2009, 10:58
In passing, in your other current thread re the Balsall Common 'hangar', the OP in the Prune forum was also queryng Sinderland.
Yes that's how I came across that thread.

The Bellman at Altrincham is interesting. The 1945 site plan shows just one building, but the Google &
Bing overheads show two. The one at the north is in a terrible condition - especially looked at in bird's eye 3D view (Bing).

However the one on the site plan is the southern most one - the good condition building.

My conclusion is (assuming the site plan is correct) - the northern hangar was added later (possibly a 1950 addition). The earlier hangar deteriorated to such an extent that it had to be reclad.

I'm probably totally wrong.

Graham

albie_3
07-04-2014, 19:38
I am a newbie on the forum. I grew up in the area Sinderland name comes from Sinderland moss which the site was on. Also the lane to the north of the site is Sinderland Lane. Used to explore the site in the late 60's early 70's Wish I had a camera with me Ian