PDA

View Full Version : Airfields of the D-Day Invasion Force: 2nd Tactical Air Force in South-east England i

Denis
29-10-2009, 08:04
The publishers of this new book have sent me the following information release.

Peter Jacobs who is a serving RAF officer and established author of Military Aviation books. His new book, Airfields of the D-Day Invasion Force: 2nd Tactical Air Force in South-east England in WWII, will be published at the end of this month. Below is some information detailing what the book includes:

As part of the Aviation Heritage Trail series, the airfields and interest in this book are concentrated in a particular area in this case Kent, Surrey, East Sussex, Essex and Greater London.

The South east of England emerged from six years of war with a rich diversity of RAF bomber and fighter airfields used by the 2nd Tactical Air Force, both before and after the D-Day landings. Much of this proud legacy is now threatening to disappear. However, the tourist can combine visits to an abundance of disused and active airfields, country houses and museums with countless attractions, imaginative locations and broadland and coastal hideaways that have no equal.

The airfields and other places of interest include Northolt, Manston, Sculthorp, Dunsfold, Swanton Morley, Hunsdon, Gravesend, Detling, Biggin Hill, Kenley, Redhill, Gatwick, Heston, Hornchurch, Chailey, Coolham, Horne, West Malling and Newchurch.

WJT
29-10-2009, 08:25
Would have thought that any author of airfield-related books would already be a contributor to AiX.

Row74
29-10-2009, 14:41
I have seen this book in Waterstones already. :wink:

Carnaby
29-10-2009, 15:50
It's already available from Amazon's subsidiaries for 8.74 inc p&p. (RRP 12.99 + p&p)

Graham

Denis
29-10-2009, 19:25
Would have thought that any author of airfield-related books would already be a contributor to AiX.

Well apparently not eh? Paul Doyle has wrote a couple but he isnt a member!

rat256
29-10-2009, 22:09
Well apparently not eh? Paul Doyle has wrote a couple but he isnt a member!

well, for goodness sake someone invite him then!!

Denis
30-10-2009, 18:45
I have got to ring him again very soon over a project planned for next year. I shall ask him...again!
I think his chippie takes up a lot of his time, and no , he does not own a fish and chip shop!:-D

A certain Mr Richard Flagg gets a mention on the acknowledgements page of the book, Shall I invite him too?

Richard Flagg
31-10-2009, 12:10
well, for goodness sake someone invite him then!!

Agreed!! I think there are a number of other Authors who are not yet on the forum though - does anyone know if Ken Delve has joined yet?? I am sure he would have some valuable input too.

Shall I invite him too?

I think he may already be here!!!

Richard Flagg
19-12-2009, 19:36
I've just received a copy of this book in the post today. At first glance it looks great. I will enjoy reading through it over the 'Bah Humbug' period.

Paul Francis
19-12-2009, 20:21
AiX is not good enough for some 'authors'

Peter Kirk
19-12-2009, 21:04
Does it show you what the airfields look like or wahat a spirfire/typhoon/tempest/mosquitoe/mitchell looks like?

Richard Flagg
19-12-2009, 22:09
There is a great deal of info in the book, it looks at the history of the airfield detailing the types and personalities that operated from the bases. There is also some photos of the aircraft that operated from the airfields too. The book also describes where the airfield is and what can be see today, including photos of how it looks today as well.

I'll put a proper review up when I have read it.