PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Ten - Brian J Rapier

David Thompson
13-11-2009, 00:51
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ALL%20OTHER%20PHOTOS/Airfield%20Books%20Reviews/9780950732619.jpg

Melbourne Ten - Brian J Rapier
Hardcover: 164 pages
Publisher: Air Museum Publications (York) (1982)
ISBN-10: 0950732613
ISBN-13: 978-0950732619

A well illustrated with photographs , maps and sketches it tells the story of 10 Squadron , Shiney Ten , during its stay at Melbourne between 1942-45 . Quite a rare book so be prepared to pay a premium price for a good copy !
Rapier also wrote 'Warplanes Return No1' which was published in September 1970 and 'No2' which followed in August 1972 - the for-runners of the modern aviation archaeology books and compiled without the use of a GPS ! Perhaps his best known work is 'White Rose Base' mentioned in a previous thread and again , a true trailbazer of its genre . There are at least two editions of this , the first in July 1972 and the larger A4 format in October 1980 . There may have been another and copies are quite easy to come by .
He publicised a book entitled 'Gisela' for production in 1983 but I dont think it was ever published ? All of Rapier's book were published by the same company which had no direct connection to YAM at Elvington although several members of AMP did join YAM . Sadly I never got to meet the man himself who I believe was , and may still be , a taxi driver in York ?

WJT
13-11-2009, 08:47
Ah - White Roase Base. I have both editions. Brian was a pioneer in so many ways. Pleased to hear that he may still be around.

Martin Bull
13-11-2009, 09:08
Brian J Rapier's books are excellent and essential for anyone interested in the Handley-Page Halifax...don't forget that he also compiled 'Halifax At War' for Ian Allan in 1987.

CDP
13-11-2009, 19:08
Premium price is right for Melbourne Ten. It's on Abe and Amazon for 45. Probably won't find it for less. Wonder of the plastic will stretch to it....

White Rose Base is considerably less expensive - thankfully!

Chris

PNK
13-11-2009, 21:51
Yes, White Rose Base! It was the aerial of York/Rawcliffe that sparked my interest in airfield layouts and the changes they went through. Also it had maps of airfields!

Carnaby
13-11-2009, 22:23
I notice from my copy of White Rose Base that I bought it in 1973, and I guess it was the first airfield book I'd seen. This was just two years after my visit to IWM, where I asked, 'Did they have such a thing as a list of military airfields? They did and I spent the entire day copying it out -about 800 I guess.

Only one problem of note with White Rose Base - it spawned the myth that Helperby (WWI airfield), and Brafferton (WWII ammunition depot) were one and the same. It became another 'Maycrete' continuing into other publications, including 'Action Stations'. That apart an excellent book.

Graham.

PNK
13-11-2009, 23:06
Who will be the first to start a "Myths in Print" thread.

Richard Flagg
13-11-2009, 23:24
Only one problem of note with White Rose Base - it spawned the myth that Helperby (WWI airfield), and Brafferton (WWII ammunition depot) were one and the same.

Didn't this get talked about in the Ken Bannermans book, Towering Control? Or am I confusing it with another airfield or book?

Carnaby
13-11-2009, 23:34
Didn't this get talked about in the Ken Bannermans book, Towering Control?
Yes, unfortunately Mr Bannerman accused the Brafferton landowner of not knowing what he was talking about (having demolished a WWI hangar - which wasn't). It was Mr B who had got it all wrong.

Graham

David Thompson
23-11-2009, 13:49
A copy of this book is on the latest second hand book list from David Bancroft and is described as in very good condition with dust wrapper for 30 plus postage . No email but his telephone number is ; 01983 - 759069 .

Paul Francis
23-11-2009, 17:48
Wasn't there another problem with Beverley Racecourse pictures? But anyhow I agree the books were milestones in airfield potted historys.

David Thompson
23-11-2009, 19:16
There was ! Their correct identity was given in a previous edition of Airfield
Review quite some time ago and I'm sure it was written by Geoff Simmons . I suspect the correct details appear in his new book on early East Yorkshire airfields which is on another thread in this section .

David Thompson
10-01-2010, 00:17
I actually checked with York City Council to see if Brian Rapier was still a licensed taxi driver with them . They have just replied and he isn't and as such they do not keep his details on file . A friend of mine did some geneology sleuthing and he does not appear to have 'popped his clogs' so he is out there somewhere !

Airteam29
05-10-2011, 13:22
...by Brian J Rapier , published in 1982 by Air Museum Publications (York) Ltd. , No1 Driffield Terrace , The Mount , York , YO2 2DD ; ISBN 0-9507326-1-3 ; offered at a pre-publication price of 11-95 and retailed at 15-95 . An A4 sized hardback book , well illustrated with photographs , maps and sketches it tells the story of 10 Squadron , Shiney Ten , during its stay at Melbourne between 1942-45 . Quite a rare book so be prepared to pay a premium price for a good copy !
Rapier also wrote 'Warplanes Return No1' which was published in September 1970 and 'No2' which followed in August 1972 - the for-runners of the modern aviation archaeology books and compiled without the use of a GPS ! Perhaps his best known work is 'White Rose Base' mentioned in a previous thread and again , a true trailbazer of its genre . There are at least two editions of this , the first in July 1972 and the larger A4 format in October 1980 . There may have been another and copies are quite easy to come by .
He publicised a book entitled 'Gisela' for production in 1983 but I dont think it was ever published ? All of Rapier's book were published by the same company which had no direct connection to YAM at Elvington although several members of AMP did join YAM . Sadly I never got to meet the man himself who I believe was , and may still be , a taxi driver in York ?

I am looking for a copy of the Rapier book "Melbourne Ten" without much success.
Does anyone know where i might obtain a copy?
I am compiling a history of a deceased Uncle killed in action on 28 May 1944 over Antwerp while flying a Halifax MkIII for 640 SQN. However, he spent most of his wartime service flying with 10 SQN at Melbourne and I am told that Melbourne Ten is a history of 10 SQN which should prove extremely useful in my researches.

Thanks,
Chuck In Virginia

Dave Smith
05-10-2011, 18:52
Hi Chuck
Welcome to the forum. I've had a look on abebooks.com and abebooks.co.uk but Melbourne Ten is not on offer at the moment. It will be worth checking the site regularly to see
if one appears for sale. Are you aware of Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War? If not, I have the 1944 volume and can write out the details for you. Briefly, the
crew names are Williams/Lambert/Olsen/Riley/Crawford/Messenger/White. It was the only 640 Sqn Hali lost that night.
Dave