PDA

View Full Version : RAF Roborough / Plymouth Airport

Blackadder
23-11-2009, 00:47
Taken in 2009

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss276/anon240577/Plymouth8thJuly2009.jpg

John Anderson
28-04-2011, 08:26
Have just seen on the BBC news website that it has been announced that the airport is to close-uneconomic following loss of London flights-only 100 or so passengers passing through daily etc. Ideal for more housing!

David Thompson
28-04-2011, 09:55
BBC story link here ; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-13219590

David Thompson
28-04-2011, 14:47
The closure was discussed during a business report on BBC Radio 5 Live were I'm sure it was stated that all Scottish regional airports are funded or supported by the Scottish Parliament ?

John Anderson
28-04-2011, 18:47
Not sure what is left there. Flying School, engineering and a couple of RN helicopters? I guess the helicopters could be moved relatively easily to another MOD site in the PLH area?

mawganmad
28-04-2011, 20:39
Not sure what is left there. Flying School, engineering and a couple of RN helicopters? I guess the helicopters could be moved relatively easily to another MOD site in the PLH area?

Is there no airliner flights there anymore ie Air Southwest etc?

Bigbear
29-04-2011, 08:28
Is there no airliner flights there anymore ie Air Southwest etc?

I hope so as I'm flying in there from Glasgow next month! It does seem daft that it is closing. My biggest issue has been that there are too few flights going there! Perhaps if someone had put a few more routes in to Plymouth.....

exeterInterested
29-04-2011, 14:41
A few local news stories have covered this over a few years, one of the problems which is always commented on by the operators of the airfield is that the runways are too short for the aircraft operated by most of the low-cost airlines so the field just hasn't seen the growth of Exeter or Newquay. The freehold is apparently owned by the council.

Bigbear
29-04-2011, 14:49
A few local news stories have covered this over a few years, one of the problems which is always commented on by the operators of the airfield is that the runways are too short for the aircraft operated by most of the low-cost airlines so the field just hasn't seen the growth of Exeter or Newquay. The freehold is apparently owned by the council.

.....and therefore a great opportunity to make some money in these cash strapped times! When they sell it off for housing I bet they don't reduce the local council tax!

John Anderson
29-04-2011, 14:55
A few Air Southwest routes are safe until December. The end was always inevitable when they gave up the bread and butter route to London. I do not no what the problem was there (they said it was uneconomic)-lowish passenger numbers, fuel costs and landing/handling fees at London perhaps?

John Anderson
29-04-2011, 15:26
Yes airport owned by PLH City Council, who funnily enough as the planning authority have allowed the airport to be surrounded by housing, roads, industrial units, hospital etc. over the decades.

The runways are short with no possible extension and suitable only for certain turboprop airliners. I recall that when Brymon Airways changed from De Havilland (Canada) Dash 7's to Dash 8's (in the 1980's I think) they had to satisfy the CAA that the operation was safe by carrying out a series of landing/take off trials.

John Anderson
28-07-2011, 07:28
Last scheduled commercial flight departs today after 90 years of aircraft operations!

John Anderson
28-07-2011, 20:57
My memories of using PLH include flying on a Brymon Twin Otter in the 80's to Gatwick. Me the only passenger, so the stewardess sat in the back and the flight crew invited me to travel on the jump seat. Great experience as the low level flight took us over Tarrant Rushton and the Ashley Walk range en route towards Southampton. Felt a bit guilty as the only passenger travelling on an airline discount ticket!

Daveg4otu
01-08-2011, 11:00
I don't find the closure that surprising when you look at the demographics .
Devon has a population of about 1.4 million...most of whom live within 40 miles(45 min drive on a good day from PLymouth on the A38 ) of Exeter airport in Exeter, Torbay and Plymouth.(also you can include W Somerset in the Exeter catchment area - Yeovil, Taunton etc)

Cornwall has a population of about 500,000 with the majority in the western towns (Penzance, Newquay, Truro, Falmouth etc)would be adequately served by Newquay airport - almost everyone is within a 40 mile/1 hour drive radius .

TBH I think the big question is whether even Newquay can survive economically as an airport or whether it will eventually go the way of Plymouth.

AiXAdmin
01-08-2011, 18:17
I used to lob into Plymouth in a Jetstream from time to time circa 1990 on "Brymon Business" when our lot merged with them. As I recall it was all very built up around the site, there was no radar?and all approaches were procedural - I doubt the runway was ever capable of being extended to handle LoCo Jets. (TODA about 1300m if I remember correctly)

What a terrible shame.. another one bites the dust. Beeching anyone? Times change; what we'd give for all those axed lines now. Once the houses are up the options are gone forever.

John Anderson
23-08-2011, 18:35
Plymouth City Council have just confirmed the closure. Claimed that less than a 100 passengers a day pass through, but if you don't offer the flights you don't generate demand. Chicken and egg situation. Rail services will be improved to the city apparently.

canberra
23-08-2011, 19:52
But with the size of the airport and the fact that the runway cant be made any longer where could they offer flights to? And with Exeter and Newquay airports not that far away I think this airport was on a hiding to nothing, Im amazed its taken until now for the penny to drop. I wonder how many other airports may close in the future? My money is on Teesside, Humberside and Doncaster.

John Anderson
23-08-2011, 22:20
I regularly flew in and out of PLH for approximately 25 years from the mid 1970's and was always amazed at the amount of building works which were permitted around the airport perimeter. Hospital buildings, industrial units and housing meant there was never going to be any airport expansion or runway extensions.

canberra
27-12-2011, 13:55
Anyone read the Daily Mail today? Theres an item about regional airport expansion, it actually mentions Plymouth! The article says how regional airport passenger numbers will grow because the London airports have had expansion stopped by the government. Somehow I cant see an airport of this size growing.

CornwallPhil
27-12-2011, 23:49
According to local tv news Plymouth lost its radar/safety cover as of 2230 on Friday 23rd December. Being landlocked they can't extend the runway and I don't honestly see a way back for Plymouth to be viable and able to compete with Exeter and Newquay.

mawganmad
28-12-2011, 21:46
I didn't realise it had radar either, I'm wondering if it's the press meaning ILS and radio comms? Or maybe Plymouth Mil have stopped covering the area on behalf of the airport?
I know we used to regularly have diversions, and sometimes overnight stays from Plymouth based airlines at Mawagn on bad weather days.

Sad to say it but I would think Plymouth is doomed, I sometimes wonder how Newquay and Exeter make money.

John Anderson
28-12-2011, 22:38
I had read in the press several months that the radar covering PLH was located at HMS Raleigh! Cannot quite see what sort of cover such a facility would have provided and put it down at the time to press ignorance.

CornwallPhil
28-12-2011, 23:24
I've no idea what the radar arrangements were. The press reported the last flight left in July and the airport closed at 2230 on 22nd Dec losing its radar/safety cover.

mawganmad
29-12-2011, 00:02
I had read in the press several months that the radar covering PLH was located at HMS Raleigh! Cannot quite see what sort of cover such a facility would have provided and put it down at the time to press ignorance.

I know when the aircraft departed St Mawgan that they were handed over and worked by Plymouth Mil who covered all that area for naval activity, just procedure I suppose and if they weren't there I guess someone else would have provided the service.

EGDGZTCW
30-12-2011, 10:18
Plymouth didn't have radar. They used Plymouth Mil ( at HMS Drake ??, not sure...) Western Radar (Swannick) and ourselves at Newquay. The problem seemed to start this year particularly, in July, when Ply Mil closed for the summer holiday. I don't recall it ever having been a problem before, the ASW flights still operated as normal in previous years. Perhaps the difference this year was that ASW, now being under the new ownership of "Eastern", could no longer operate in and out of Plymouth because "Eastern" decided that it wasn't safe enough without any radar cover from Ply Mil (Newquay can't see low enough in that area, neither can Western)....just my thoughts I don't know this for sure.

It is a great shame they've gone and I for one will miss them all. I was shown the following Youtube video recently....Plymouth City Airport - A Tribute...take a look you may recoginse someone. There are also many interesting photo's too.

http://youtu.be/cPQdr2642Ks

CornwallPhil
27-03-2012, 11:26
For those interested in the current state of affairs at Plymouth airport read the news story by clicking on the link

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Proposal-reopen-Plymouth-City-Airport-needs-work/story-15634079-detail/story.html

EGDGZTCW
19-04-2012, 10:22
My long time mate Barry worked at Plymouth almost to the end, he was the Bird Control man there. During his years he captured various comings and goings on his video camera. Mostly shot during the 1990's, he has just spent weeks transferring them from VHS to DVD and then uploading to Youtube for all to enjoy. Adding some music and captions, or just leaving the radio frequency to tell a story, they are moments in Plymouth City Airport history, not seen by many, never to be captured again.

Barry has many hours of film and will slowly add them to his site on Youtube. Watch out also for clips from RAF St Mawgan, he has hours from there as well.

Take a look, I hope you will find them interesting.....enjoy :)

Chris.

Search "Birdbasher" on Youtube if the links don't work for you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/birdbasher?feature=watch

WJT
16-05-2012, 10:54
The Airport's goods and chattels are up for sale. Anyone want a fire truck?

http://www2.ppauctions.com/_assets/auctions/59/flysheet/Flysheet.pdf

Yorkie370
02-07-2012, 04:20
Stories of Plymouth's demise may be premature, according to this;

http://www.viable.org.uk/

Bigbear
02-07-2012, 12:26
Stories of Plymouth's demise may be premature, according to this;

http://www.viable.org.uk/

I really hope this succeeds. I and many of my colleagues and business associates need to get to Plymouth and the flight times and distances mean that Plymouth is a real pain to get to. I recently needed to visit a company close to the airport, but I needed to do the trip in one day. The only way I could do it was to fly from Glasgow to Birmingham and then get a hire car to drive the rest of the way to Plymouth. I was then there for the afternoon before getting a late return flight from Birmingham. Less than ideal. I find it especially strange as Plymouth wants to grow its business around the city. How can it without a suitable local airport?

Landlord
25-12-2012, 22:43
Not great photos but taken in March 2012 showing runway 13/31 not in use markings.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w437/Landlord10/03add9da344d640d4e84204ef8ce392f_zpsb6b078bc.jpg

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w437/Landlord10/697893b32225d07db959b18c9f0d3895_zps3a0af8da.jpg

John Anderson
19-10-2013, 14:07
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-24592688

Out of the ashes, maybe?