PDA

View Full Version : Rendering color

Karl H
10-01-2010, 22:36
Perhaps this is a bit of an odd question, but what color was the material used for rendering on some of the temporary and permanent brick buildings when it was new? I think many buildings like the NFE and Floodlight Tractor Trailer sheds were rendered but not painted. Current photos make it appear much like concrete, kind of gray with a touch of brown to my eye (which is NOT color calibrated ; 0 ! ).

Paul Francis
10-01-2010, 23:16
Karl, I think you are correct, best locate locally a brick-built building that has been recently cement rendered and there is your colour. You are quite right too, when you say that the majority of buildings were left externally un-painted. Though there were camouflage schemes available in the early part of the war that show the preferred method of camouflaging a hut for example. We have one such drawing. We also have a complete file with hand-written lecture notes taken at a camouflage school with photos and official papers, paint test cards, plus docs showing how to paint airfields and factories. All interesting stuff!

Slightly relevant too is a drawing that we have showing how to protect wooden huts againt incendiary bombs using sheets of metal lathing (as used in plastering).

Karl H
11-01-2010, 01:15
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the information. Was the rendering concrete or mortar or something else entirely? I wasn't sure if wartime shortages affected what they could use. It is not a subject I am well versed in and not something we see a lot of in my part of the US. Just curious!

Paul Francis
11-01-2010, 09:48
Just standard sand and cement mix which drys to a light greeny-grey colour but over time gets darker as it weathers (assuming its not painted).

Able Mabel
15-01-2010, 19:26
As has been said, camouflage was intially used and it consisted of Green, Brown and Black. I have several aerial photographs showing airfields under construction and the camo extends right over the buildings. later Brown and green were used on dispersal Nissen huts etc but as the threat of air-raids diminished then newer buildings were either the one colour or left natural. Alot depended on the location of the airfield.