PDA

View Full Version : Kilnappy Royal Naval Armament Depot

ww2ni
25-01-2010, 13:54
Folks,
Attached are a few pictures from Kilnappy Royal Naval Armament Depot in County Londonderry.

I believe this site covers around 47 arces.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Carnaby
25-01-2010, 15:46
Evidently Kilnappy came under HMS Ferret

These Americans were first housed in HMS Ferret and they then moved out to other camps constructed at Clooney Base, Springtown, Belmont, Creevagh and Lisahally. The American Marines also moved into Derry to guard these bases and they were billeted at Beechhill House. They also constructed two large ammunition dumps at Kilnappy and Finglen. The ammunition barges were moored at Rosses Bay and were kept away from most shipping lanes.

HMS Sea Eagle

Overlooking the River Foyle, Ebrington Barracks, Londonderry was part of the naval base HMS Ferret, and incorporated an Anti-Submarine Training School for British and American Navies operating from Derry. Practical instruction was undertaken at Castle Archdale on Lough Erne. In June 1947 the school was commissioned as HMS Sea Eagle and became the Joint Anti-Submarine School (JASS) for all NATO countries. JASS operated in conjunction with Eglinton airfield until June 1970 when it was handed back to the Army. The intention was for JASS to move to HMS Dryad, but this did not happen.
Looks interesting - anything at Finglen?

Graham

ww2ni
25-01-2010, 18:39
Hi,
Thanks for the information.

I had done some research before going looking for various places and I believe,although I may be wrong, that Kilnappy and Fincairn Glen are the same place.

As well as the various stores there are a few brick buildings and nissen huts which still have the fire points painted on walls etc.

There was also a U.S. Armament store in the grounds of a nearby hotel which was used by the Americans during the war.

All these places are in close proximity to Maydown and Eglinton airfields as well as Lisahally port where the U-Boats were brought into at the end of the war.

Thanks.