PDA

View Full Version : Photographic Targets

Peter Kirk
13-03-2010, 18:18
Whilst looking at a file on Holbeach ranges I found a drawing of a Photograhic dive bomb target from 1945.
I haven't come across one of these before so was a bit bemused by the ciphers that are spaced 5o yards apart. I didn't photograph the documents relating to these so I am none the wiser. Anyone know more about these?

A photo of the drawing is attached.

OneEighthBit
13-03-2010, 19:20
Maybe they use something like a cine camera at point of release to capture the target at time of release and calculate/interpret the success from that without needing to drop ordnance.

The layout of symbols may make it easier to decipher the shot if the picture is blurry.

PETERTHEEATER
14-03-2010, 06:03
A new one on me.

I note that all the ciphers are linear, no curves.

Even shooting cine, image quality cold be affected by vibration so,as oneeigthbit suggests, an aircraft 'attacking' the target at the bottom of the layout would film (point of release indicated from start of camera run).

The camera would have been (should have been!) harmonized with the gunsight so running the processed film later, an interpretation could be made as the point of impact had a bomb been released. The cyphers would provide additional visual aids to confirm that the sighter was 'on' target.

My thoughts entirely.

EDIT: Afterthought: Since this was for Dive Bombing, the altitude at point of release was very important; close enough for accuracy but not too close for pull out. But then, concentric circles would have provided that info.

Peter Kirk
18-03-2014, 11:15
There is a photograph of the on at Setchey Fen bombing range here http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?3230-Setchey-Fen&p=30937&highlight=setchey#post30937

It was probably located here as this range was allocated to the Central Fighter Establishment at West Raynham in January 1947. This was probably the first and test version before it was adopted by other ranges. Although this type of target is marked on some postwar range plans and also the Air Weapons Range Manual, Setchey is the only photographic evidence found so far.