PDA

View Full Version : Cross & Cockade Gazeteer 1912 - 1920

WJT
18-03-2010, 14:19
I see from the new Spring 2010 Vol 41, No 1, of the Cross & Cockade Quarterly Journal that they have started a part-work called "Gazeteer of Flying Sites and the UK and Ireland 1912 - 1920". The authors are Mick Davis and Bill Morgan. Part One is published in Vol 41, No 1, and provides an Introduction and Sources.

The series has yet to develop, but it seems that they have developed a format for a 'database-type' entry on each location, something similar to what AiX-ARG might develop for the digital archive. Part One has extensive coverage of Landing Grounds and also Aeroplane Sheds and Hangars, with some excellent photographs and a detailed narrative. There is then a huge listing of all sites recorded over the period, including comment on alternative names etc.

These authors seem to have undertaken a massive amount of research into what could become an extremely valuable project - I await sight of the first data entries in the next edition of the magazine.

Paul Francis
18-03-2010, 19:11
In AR 126 there are details of a similar WW1 AiX project, available in two parts, the part one will be ready to download soon.

E.I.Addio
25-01-2011, 02:05
I see from the new Spring 2010 Vol 41, No 1, of the Cross & Cockade Quarterly Journal that they have started a part-work called "Gazeteer of Flying Sites and the UK and Ireland 1912 - 1920". The authors are Mick Davis and Bill Morgan. Part One is published in Vol 41, No 1, and provides an Introduction and Sources.

The series has yet to develop, but it seems that they have developed a format for a 'database-type' entry on each location, something similar to what AiX-ARG might develop for the digital archive. Part One has extensive coverage of Landing Grounds and also Aeroplane Sheds and Hangars, with some excellent photographs and a detailed narrative. There is then a huge listing of all sites recorded over the period, including comment on alternative names etc.

These authors seem to have undertaken a massive amount of research into what could become an extremely valuable project - I await sight of the first data entries in the next edition of the magazine.

Are subsequent parts of this any good??

WJT
25-01-2011, 08:34
Yes, indeed. The series has become a very useful work. Also, as with all Cross & Cockade journals, the photo repro is excellent and it is printed on high quality paper. Membership of Cross & Cockade is recommended for anyone interested in First World War aviation.