PDA

View Full Version : Directions to Aerodromes in Britain

Paul Francis
13-08-2010, 13:53
Published by PB Enterprises (Aero) by PB Hardy, the 4th edition published in August 1978

Anyone familiar with this booklet? Must admit I turned my nose up at this back in the 1970s, as I thought back then that you needed was the Merseyside British Airfields Guide. However it has now caught my attention. Of note are the following lists:

Civil airports
Other major civil aerodromes
Factories and flight testing aerodromes
RAE etc
Active military
Inactive military
Disused
Aeronautical Farms
Hillside gliding sites
Private strips with no home-based planes
Helicopter and gyrocopter landing sites
Other helicopter landing sites
Museums etc

I wonder what happened to PB Hardy, he came from the Manchester area I think.

Carnaby
13-08-2010, 14:27
Virtually nothing on the web, but it is mentioned in this thread (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40296)

Graham

NJR
13-08-2010, 14:34
You mean this one Paul? Picked it up at cockpitfest at Newark when we had the ARG display there, a guy was giving books away so I picked this up for the archive.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/ryan7480_bucket/AG.jpg

NJR

Paul Francis
13-08-2010, 14:44
No not that one, not familiar with that book.

NJR
13-08-2010, 14:47
It's by P B Hardy and has all the info on your first post!

Carnaby
13-08-2010, 14:58
Noel's book is by the LAAS. I would love to find out what that stands for, even their website doesn't tell you.:confused:

http://www.laasdata.com/

Only thing found was London Amateur Aviation Society, which doesn't look right.

Graham

Paul Francis
13-08-2010, 15:29
Oh OK Noel, I had no idea, when was it published?

Peter Kirk
13-08-2010, 18:13
I think I still have my old 1972 MAS British Airfield Guide - much scribbled and annotated on though. I did have another, later guide that was typed in columns and had different categories. Not much help as I don't think it survived two house moves and a wife questioning the number of books and maps I owned!

David Thompson
13-08-2010, 21:11
I have the 1973 edition of the MAS British Isles Airfield Guide which has been , like many other AiX members I'm sure , responsible for my clocking up many miles visiting airfields the length and breadth of Britain and equally many miles of camera film too . A similar book was Airbase-98 published by Great Western Aviation , aka KJ Newbould of Nailsworth , Gloucester , which was a sort of updated version of the MAS book compiled by county which also listed farm strips and aviation museums . A Part 2 covering Scotland and Ireland was promised for September 1998 but I dont think it ever appeared nor , indeed , did a copy of Airbase-99 !

Dave Smith
14-08-2010, 08:38
LAAS, I believe originally stood for London Aviation Society. I can't remember what the extra A represented, "Area" perhaps?

Carnaby
14-08-2010, 10:22
... LAAS. I would love to find out what that stands for, even their website doesn't tell you. Only thing found was London Amateur Aviation Society, which doesn't look right.

LAAS, I believe originally stood for London Aviation Society. I can't remember what the extra A represented, "Area" perhaps?

Thanks for that Dave - I tried harder with 'London Aviation Society' and it seems I was right first time with 'Amateur'. Found this:

Aviation News & Review' [LAAS International, ISSN ?]
'Aviation News & Review' is a monthly civil-biased spotters magazine. It was first published by the London Amateur Aviation Society (LAAS) circa 1968, but during the late 1990s the organisation responsible for the magazine renamed itself LAAS International.They are also mentioned in a few Flight International PDFs.

Graham