PDA

View Full Version : Gloster Whittle assembly site.

airfields man
15-09-2010, 18:55
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/airfieldsman/NO%203%20ALBUM/mypicturespics339.jpg

This I presume is the old post office garage where the Whittle Jet E28/39 was assembled. This is in Carlton street Cheltenham. It's a very short street and this building looked to be the only one that resembled any kind of old garage. There is supposed to be a Green Plaque stating it's former use but I couldn't find this. As the place was all locked-up and no-one around to ask I went just around the corner to Kings road. At No 3 is a blue plaque to Frederick Handley Page.

Paul Francis
15-09-2010, 19:22
Airfieldsman I noticed there are three near identical posts on the same subject so I have tried to delete the others but cannot, so can you have ago?

airfields man
15-09-2010, 19:37
Sorry about that, I have also tried but they still remain. I'll try again.... there's only football on the telly.. :sad:

ricasso
10-05-2011, 22:43
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/airfieldsman/NO%203%20ALBUM/mypicturespics339.jpg

This I presume is the old post office garage where the Whittle Jet E28/39 was assembled. This is in Carlton street Cheltenham. It's a very short street and this building looked to be the only one that resembled any kind of old garage. There is supposed to be a Green Plaque stating it's former use but I couldn't find this. As the place was all locked-up and no-one around to ask I went just around the corner to Kings road. At No 3 is a blue plaque to Frederick Handley Page.

yes, your right, that is the old workshop, and for what its worth, I used to live at no 1 Kings road, next door to HP's former home!

OneEighthBit
11-05-2011, 20:11
Blimey. I recognise that building. I did only ever know it as the Post Office garage when I lived in Cheltenham and remember the vans parked outside. I had no idea it was anything to do with the E28/39.

I just took a look on the Cheltenham Civic Society website and they do indeed list the Post Office Garage, Carlton Street as being where the 2nd Prototype was assembled and there should indeed be a green plaque. So you've got the right building.