PDA

View Full Version : Kingham USAAF depot

Carnaby
03-11-2010, 14:21
Very little seems to be known about this Eighth Air Force depot in Oxfordshire. It was one of the first (and largest) ammunition stores used by the Americans, with a capacity of 25,000 tons.

AAF Station 543 - VIII AF Service Command.

It's in our archive (http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?t=3176) as O-670 Kingham ammunition store from 11 Sep 42.

The WTP location is around here (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=51.90641940701061&lon=-1.6139602661132812&gz=14&oz=7&gt=1), and there is a disused railway line running through the area as well as the current one.

Snippets from the web:

The nearest railway station to Little Rissington was Kingham.

Picture at Kingham http://eron6637.tripod.com/ronsroots43.html

Penny Sheppard, joined the Land Army and her Hostel was at Kingham. ...she also had some laughs with the Americans stationed nearby.

Given access to a jeep or other transport, Lee could instead have visited from neighbouring American locations such as Chipping Norton, Daylesford House, Kingham or Adelstrop.

Jeanne remarks on the big RAF camp at Sarsgrove built to service the Chipping Norton Relief Landing Ground. She also mentions piles of ammunition stored along the roadsides and moved by 'our own RASC' soldiers or by black soldiers, probably American, who we know were living at other huts at the crossroads where the road goes to Sarsgrove.

Kingham 1954 Ordnance Depot Company
Kingham 3982 Quartermaster Truck Company
Kingham 586 Ordnance Ammunition Company
Kingham 647 Ordnance Ammunition Company
Kingham 751 Quartermaster Truck Company

P Bellamy
03-11-2010, 15:11
From examining various OS maps, the railhead seems to have been HERE (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=51.89978654829327&lon=-1.6272425651550293&gz=17&oz=9&gt=1).

The USAF Archives only have one entry regarding the site:
3056th Ordnance Service (Composite) Battalion.
Activated at Ordnance Depot O-670, Kingham, Oxon, United Kingdom, 17th August 1944.
Moved to European Continent 11th October 1944.

All the best,
PB

P Bellamy
03-11-2010, 20:22
A few more units from the Black US Army/Air Corps UK station lists (http://www.bjmjr.net/ww2/uk_index.htm):

30 September 1943
Kingham: 751st Quartermaster Truck Company

31 December 1943
Kingham: 1954th Ordnance Depot Company (Avn) (To Grove by 31 August)
Kingham: 3982nd Quartermaster Truck Company (To Shipton-under-Wynchwood by March 31)
Kingham: 586th Ordnance Ammunition Company (To Shipton-under-Wynchwood by March 31)
Kingham: 647th Ordnance Ammunition Company (To Little Compton by March 31)
Kingham: 751 Quartermaster Truck Company (To Plymouth by 31 March)

31 March 1944
None listed

30 June 1944
Bledington: 599th Ordnance Ammunition Company (At Belle Isle 31 March. Att US 9th Army by 12th Dec 1944)
Kingham: 389th Engineer General Service Regiment, Company B (At Princetown 31 March. No further info)
Kingham: 1235th Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon (No further info on this unit)
Kingham: 3419th Quartermaster Truck Company

As of 31 August 1944
Kingham: 655th Ordnance Company (Ammunition)

As of 16 December 1944
None listed

TTFN,
PB

Carnaby
03-11-2010, 21:04
Thanks Paul. This was a busy place - with all the adjacent sites (Bledington, Shipton, Adelstrop, Bruern Abbey etc), it must have been a Little America. Wonder why there is so little info. Unfortunately GE rollback doesn't cover it yet.

Graham

PETERTHEEATER
04-11-2010, 08:53
Paul,

From examining various OS maps, the railhead seems to have been HERE.

Your link wont open from here.

Looking at the terrain and the need for rail transport the likely area would be here? (directly E to SE of Kingham)

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=51.90930525530987&lon=-1.607050895690918&gz=15&oz=8&gt=1

Carnaby
04-11-2010, 13:08
Your link wont open from here.
Oh dear, I think you may have WTP issues again, Peter. Paul's link is fine with me, and the site looks good. Your link puts me in the middle of a group of fields - the railway is some distance away.

I also found this site next to the railway line at Adlestrop which may be connected. Link (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=51.93602609864293&lon=-1.659077916228965&gz=19&oz=9&gt=1)

Graham

PETERTHEEATER
05-11-2010, 08:33
WTP has been working reliably for me lately! Today, Paul's link works and yours did not until after several tries!

Anyway, both sites look good but we need a location of the actual storage site before deciding. I shall try and sleuth the local county records.

PETERTHEEATER
05-11-2010, 10:24
The book 'Oxfordshire at War' by Malcolm Graham refers to a personal memory of an individual who recalls that by 1944 hundreds of bombs and shells were being stored on roadside verges for miles around Kingham. It goes on to say that Kingham Station was provided with a seven track siding and a railway yard to speed the loading and unloading of trucks.

So, it looks like Kingham Station was the railhead.

If storage was ad hoc on roadside then there would be no real location however, there had to be a central administration point, accommodation and transportation hub.

AnneHughesDiary Research
12-11-2010, 13:18
Hi,
I'm Ian Shankland, one of three people researching the disappearance of an 18thC farming diary during WW2. Our website is here: www.annehughesdiary.co.uk , and I note that text from our site relating to the Kingham area is incorporated at the start of this thread. Because the information we have is that the original diary manuscript was given to an American soldier at Sarsden during WW2, I've set myself the task of trying to find him or who he was. One account said he was an airman although it may be a loose description. I may be able to help discover a little more about the USAAF depot at Kingham although I must preface this by saying that I'm not an expert by any means. I am however in touch with some of the American 6th Armored Division veterans who were staying at Sarsden. I have also had recourse to investigating the 38th Engineer GS Regt who were also briefly at Sarsden and then later at Over Norton Park. I have copies of original documents which tell of the 38th Engineers building and wiring nissens huts at Kingham to be used for ammunition inspection. I had wondered if, since these guys were aviation engineers and built airstrips on Ascension Island and Africa whether these were our airmen, but photos of them don't tally with the men in the 38th payroll list created immediately before their arrival in England.
http://www.annehughesdiary.co.uk/photo.html

The Engineer Glider Bn at Bruern are another possibility but I've not had much joy in tracing any veterans from that unit. I think I confused the RTO at Kingham with the ammunition depot there and assumed there were no actual airforce personnel present. But failure to locate any other nearby USAAF facility I got to wondering if there were airmen at Kingham after all. It is listed in Capt. Barry Anderson's booklet as a AAF station 543.

I was rather hoping you might be able to enlighten me a little about the activities and the kind of American servicemen who would have been at Kingham and whether any could be described as airmen.

In return I can let you have a scan of a 1951 OS map showing Kingham Station and the sidings still existing then and also of the document mentioning the construction of the nissen huts at Kingham. Finally there is to be a "Churchill in WW2" exhibition (the place not the man) in the Churchill and Sarsden Heritage Centre next year.

The other thought is that there may well be aerial photographic evidence of how Kingham looked in 1946 available at the National Monument Record in Swindon. Using them I found the nissen huts I was looking for at Sarsden of which virtually no trace remains today. And at the nearby Sarsden crossroads the aerial photographic runs show the nissen huts where I've been told the black American soldiers lived - presumably those that moved the ammunition and bombs around. I may well try to get to Swindon if time permits.

If anyone wants the scans I have please let me know and let me have email addresses etc. I'm new to forums and in any case am hesitant about uploading copyright material. Meanwhile I'll try to assimilate all the information in this thread.

AnneHughesDiary Research
13-11-2010, 08:24
During a car journey, I was once shown where the Kingham ammunition sidings were and, if memory serves, I think it's where Peter-the-eater thought it was and on the side of the extinct line to Chipping Norton. The ones shown on the 1951 OS map are in a different location, on the east side of the main railway line to the north of Kingham Station. I will contact a local friend who was also in the car with me and see if he can confirm my recollection. He doesn't have a computer so I'll have to send him a print to be sure we're talking about the same place.

AnneHughesDiary Research
13-11-2010, 18:08
Thank you Graham, This is a fascinating and informative site.

Although it didn't initially seem of primary relavence to our old Diary research, I became interested in Kingham as one of my WW2 contacts in Sarsden actually worked there in munitions manufacture and I was trying to help authenticate her story that she'd worked on components for the Dambusters bouncing bomb. I imagine this particular work was widely distributed but Kingham was, in my opinion, one of the places where the end discs were machined. Perhaps you know of others? She also machined what were then known as rocket heads. It was after being shown round the old munitions works that our journey took us past the site of the WW2 Kingham sidings. I'm unaware of any connection between the Kingham USAAF ammunition store and the British munitions manufacture in Kingham, but if you're interested you'll find more about it here:
http://www.annehughesdiary.co.uk/byways.html

Will try to get some information off to my local Churchill contact on Monday.

Regards,

Ian.

P Bellamy
13-11-2010, 18:33
Ian,

I've managed to identify the rocket head as being part of the Target Head Mk.I, which was fitted to the Tail, Propelling Rocket, Target Mk.I (possibly later retitled Motor, Rocket, 2-in, No.4 Mk.I) to make the complete 2-in U.P. Target Rocket.
These were designed to be fired to produce a visible night target for anti-aircraft gunnery training.

I'll get the relevant pages from the manual scanned and will pass them along.

All the best,
Paul

PETERTHEEATER
14-11-2010, 05:42
Because the location of the main storage area has not been determined knowing the exact location of the railhead can give clues. If you look at the 1940 OS image of the rail system here:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=51.90430123522203&lon=-1.6290664672851562&gz=15&oz=7&gt=6

you will see that it is complex. Munitions trains would have been arriving from the west country ports and the planners would have wanted a railhead which would provide the easiest and most direct route to the storage site.

I said in a post (above) that seven sidings were established at Kingham Station. Ian says the 1951 OS shows that to be just north of Kingham Station and on the east side of the (main?) line but I can't see a direct access to a good road.

Peter Kirk
14-11-2010, 11:54
You may want to try http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html as it now has early post war maps and comparing pre-war to post-war sometimes shows interesting changes. The railway junction and sidings show up well in th 1:2500 scale.

From a quick look the area around SP255235 may be of interest. There were multiple sidings where the trees are now and a series of buildings not there pre-war and now replaced by modern exec homes .
Also Churchill Heath Wood (south of Kingham) was actually a wood during WW2 so may be of intesrest.
Apologies if this has been covered but I am supposed to be doing other things today :)

AnneHughesDiary Research
14-11-2010, 12:38
Paul, thank you so much for the diagram and information about the rocket heads I've been investigating. The story told by both the elderly lady and other local people was that they were rocket heads used on merchant ships, but when I met a serving Chief (presumably petty officer) leading a group of trainee Royal Navy personnel around the Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson and described the heads to him he said that in his younger days in the Navy he used 2 inch rockets for target practice. So this fits very well with the description in the document that they could be used at sea or on land. I'm highly impressed with your expertise and knowledge and grateful to you for taking the time to investigate this for me. I shall have great pleasure in letting my elderly friend know, after all these years, exactly what she was making. I have still to get to grips with the fine detail and how it worked and what the, in my case, 2 countersunk screws were doing. There are some of these heads in the Chipping Norton museum by the way. I will also communicate this info to the former owner of the works who was a schoolboy in Kingham during the war and who showed me where the sidings were. Would you let me know the name of the book or source of your information? And may I copy it on to my local friends and munitions workers or are there copywrite issues?

Peter, I agree there seems to be no road access to the 1951 sidings. I'll temporarily load the section of the 1951 map for you to see :
http://www.annehughesdiary.co.uk/Kingham_1951_OS_Map.jpg
I recall there was an overgrown track from a road down to the site of the WW2 ammunition sidings but we didn't drive down there at the time. This is what makes me think they were not the 1951 sidings but I'm simply not sure. Hopefully I'll be able to get back in touch with someone who remembers. I also spoke to a guy at the Churchill Car Show a few years back who recalled where the buildings were, but can't put my hand on my notes right now.
However, the 1946 RAF aerial survey, if it covers Kingham, would almost certainly resolve where exactly everything was beyond doubt. I just checked the OS grid references for the PR Mosquito runs I used for finding nissen huts in Sarsden and the three I looked at start or stop short of Kingham. I will try to discover if the NMR have photos which do cover this area.

Once again I'm very grateful to you guys.

Ian.

PETERTHEEATER
15-11-2010, 07:22
Thanks to Ian and PNK.

That convinces me. The sidings shown in the 1953 map and the adjacent buildings (almost certainly temporary hutting) is the railhead, the location serves no other purpose. I'm not a railway buff so, are the sidings on the UP line or the DOWN line?

Yes, the former Churchill Heath Wood is a strong contender for some storage I feel; it has the road access and (then) the best cover.

AnneHughesDiary Research
17-11-2010, 10:42
Hi guys,
I've now spoken to my local historian friend in Churchill and learnt that the buildings assumed to be huts to the east of the railway sidings on the 1951 map were in fact prefabricated concrete council houses, of the Airey type, later replaced by the current sheltered and other housing. I visited this estate myself a while back. That's not to say that there weren't wartime huts there previously.
The other thing I learned from my friend is where he thought the location of the place was that we were shown and I had forgotton. If you look at my 1951 map scan and look at where the road bridge crosses over the railway line at Kingham station, on the south side of the road there is a small roadway immediately on the west side of the bridge which leads from the southern side of the road down to what was a concrete apron abutting the down side (away from London, Paddington) northbound railway line. I believe this may have been where the munitions were taken off the trains and put onto trucks. A possible conjecture is that the sidings on the upside southbound track to the north of the station may have been used to park ammunition trains. If there was a suitable points switching system they could then have crossed to the other track to reach the concrete apron. The concrete apron is still shown on the modern map at OS grid reference SP 257 223. On reflection, I'm not entirely convinced it is that simple, and my recollection is of an overgrown track not the clearly accessible road visible on today's satellite image. I've asked English Heritage to search for any 1946 RAF aerial photos covering this location and if there are any I will follow this up at Swindon. My friend also recalls a photo showing American railway locomotives parked in the sidings at Kingham so presumably these relate to the ammunition depot.
Finally, I've uploaded to our AH research website, (I hope legally), a document that relates to the activities of the US 38th Engineer GS Regt at Kingham (page 5 of the document) This says there were 9 brick ended 'ammunition storage nissens' built there. ('Nissens' as opposed to 'American' mentioned elsewhere at Ben Hall farms - presumably they were Quonsett huts) Also mentioned are an 'ammuntion inspection building' and wring a laboratory with fireproof explosion proof cables, as well as their laying 2000 feet of underground wiring and cables. The document contains references to work at what may be other USAAF sites which may interest the group, as well as tented camps for the 6th Armored Division. Document is here for the time being:
http://www.annehughesdiary.co.uk/38th-Engineers-History-1944.pdf

However, perhaps key is the provision of American map references. They don't equate to modern OS grid references. Can anyone interpret these and convert them to OS grid refs or latitude and longitude? The work at Kingham was located at " vP693475 ".

Ian.

Carnaby
17-11-2010, 11:12
... American map references. They don't equate to modern OS grid references. Can anyone interpret these and convert them to OS grid refs or latitude and longitude? The work at Kingham was located at " vP693475 ".
The reference is the very common 'War Office False Origin' (WOFO), or Cassini Grid reference, Ian. There is a good converter here:

http://www.fieldenmaps.info/cconv/cconv_gb.html

Putting vP693475 into the 'WOFO' boxes and hitting 'Convert' will update all the other boxes - the 'Great Britain National Grid' one revealing SP 245 272. here (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=51.9429265038454&lon=-1.6436315222399407&gz=17&oz=9&gt=1)

If you pm me I'll send you some more info on this.

This thread is getting very interesting.

Graham

AnneHughesDiary Research
17-11-2010, 17:43
Well that's very curious. There certainly was an American presence at Adlestrop in WW2 but the location given by the 38th Engineer grid reference goes to a field which has no traces of occupancy on my 1951 map. But then neither does it show the presence of huts in Sarsden which I know were there in 1944 and were still there in 1946 on the RAF aerial photos. I converted and checked the grid reference for Sarsden House and that's pretty accurate. so unless the guy made a mistake we have a new dimension to our search. One can imagine that the facilites of an ammuniton depot might well be dispersed over a large area to lessen the impact of enemy attack. Perhaps there really were 9 nissen huts etc at Adlestrop which formed part of the Kingham depot. Does that sound likely to you guys? My NMR aerial photo location enquiry won't go out far enough from Kingham to include this location in Adlestrop, but I'll see what I get back from them.

Ian.

airfields man
09-03-2011, 19:15
I called at Kingham station briefly today in the hope of seeing a plaque or some kind of information board telling of the stations history...nothing !! Though we do have some customers there who have been there all their lives, maybe they'll have some old photographs....

airfields man
15-03-2011, 20:59
Forgot to mention last week that there is/was a pile of rubble across from the station. Found-out today that there is no known kind of plaque or history recollection/information board around, also where the rubble lies will soon be new houses...five minutes to build 'em 30 years to pay for 'em !! :lol:

AnneHughesDiary Research
30-04-2011, 09:45
Hi Guys,
sorry for the long delay but I now have more information relating to the WW2 US Army 38th Engineer document I mentioned earlier in this thread. The WOFO grid reference for the Ammunition Inspection Building and the nine brick ended nissens was vP693475 which, if I've used the Fielden Maps converter correctly. equates to OS grid Ref SP 24485 27250 . I've now finally made it to the NMR and checked RAF 1946 aerial photos of the locations of the Kingham Rail Head and the above location. I think our surmises that the ammunition sidings were just a train park and that the ammo was unloaded onto the concrete apron the other (south) side of the station is correct.

However I believe I've also discovered the Ammunition Inspection Building and the nine nissens not in Kingham or Adlestrop village but at a location at a quarry site at Adlestrop Hill, OS grid ref SP256277. Bing maps aerial view shows that what was probably the inspection building is still there with mounds still present either side of it though now with trees growing on them. The nine nissens shown in the 1946 photo have now gone and other buildings are present. I'm guessing that the official location of the Kingham depot was at the WOFO reference in Adlestop itself (not Kingham) where the 1946 photos show an enclosure containing what may be a number of nissen or quonsett huts. The quarry site is obviously away from inhabited parts and the mounds suggest that what went on in the building there was dangerous. The reference to laying 2000 feet of underground cable might well be for connection of a power supply or communications between the Adlestrop location and the quarry location. I thought the distance between looked roughly 2000 feet but you may want to verify this as it's only a guess on my part.

I am reluctant to put up the NMR photos as I don't wish to find myself in breach of it's terms of use. Maybe we can handle this offline on a personal study basis. I am also wondering if English Heritage are aware of this location and whether any steps should be taken to get it evaluated or protected. Any thoughts on this?

While visiting the NMR with my local historian friend he showed me a WW2 map he has once belonging to Lord Wyfold of Sarsden House which shows several colour washed areas and in them red hatched areas which my friend says were wartime airfields. There are also other symbols like asterisks drawn in red, which he can't interpret. I wondered if they were anti aircraft gun locations or pill boxes. This perhaps should be on another thread. Do I need to start one?

Sorry this lot is a bit of a mouthful, but I hope it's of interest.

Ian.

PETERTHEEATER
01-05-2011, 07:19
Good work Ian.

The Ammo Inspection Building (AIB) can be seen in Google Earth using the 1945 'rollback' view. Zooming in, the main building flanked laterally on both sides by earth traverses is probably a 24 foot wide Nissen extended in sections to around 120 feet. There is also - at the site entrance - a smaller traversed building still visible in current view.

As to the nine Nissen or Quonset huts; the GE 1945 view shows a row of nine structures to the right of the AIB but the definition is too low to identify them. If Nissen they would be the 16 feet wide type(?)

A figure of 2000 feet for power extension distance is too modest. If the Depot HQ was in Adlestrop, as seems likely, the distance to the AIB is nearer 4000 feet.

The sketch map of the area sounds intriguing yet would be small scale if it shows airfields. The nearest of these was Moreton in Marsh to the NNW and Chipping Norton to the NE. Using the Defence of Britain overlay on GE, there are no significant defence sites such as Pillboxes, AA, searchlight etc shown around the Adlestrop/Kingham area but that does not men there were none!

I for one would be interested in seeing a copy of the sketchmap on AiX if that is possible and then our panel of experts could provide their opinions.

AnneHughesDiary Research
02-05-2011, 12:24
Thanks Peter. That's very interesting. I'm busy with other things right now but I will look up the 1945 GE rollback, the existence of which I was unaware, and get back to you.

I seem to have introduced an element of confusion in that the map I mentioned is not related to the Kingham Ammunition building but is an earlier British map (not a sketch map) which is of the folding variety so that it can be easily used in the field. It may perhaps be a home guard map. Later on I'll upload photos of the map to our Anne Hughes Diary website for your perusal and commment. When I've done so I'll post a notice here but it won't be straight away.
Ian.

PETERTHEEATER
03-05-2011, 08:39
Thanks Ian,

The Google Earth 'rollback' does not give full coverage of the UK and some of the imagery, due to wartime censorship, has been 'sanitised'; yet, as in the case of the Ammo Inspection Building peripheral buildings can be found where the censor did not realise they were related to a main site.

Best if you have the latest version since you can select the earliest imagery coverage directly by clicking on date in the bottom left of the main window.

The folding sketch map sounds interesting and I shall watch for your cue.

AnneHughesDiary Research
07-05-2011, 12:59
Hi Peter,
I have Google Earth 6.0.2.22074 It has a slider in the top left part of the screen to select the date of the images.

I plan to visit the Adlestrop Hill Quarry site and, if it is accessible, take a few photos of the building and mounds and then possibly refer the site to English Heritage. I will keep you updated.
Re that old map, I have now uploaded some of the WW2 map photos I took of my friend’s one inch to one mile scale map that once belonged to Lord Wyfold of Sarsden House near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire. Lord Wyfold was in the Guards during WW1 and may have held a position on the Home Guard or similar in WW2. I understand he died around 1942 or so and therefore assume that the map must date to the earlier part of the war. The map is printed on both sides and the sides are annotated by hand on one side as “sheet 105” and the other as “sheet 94”

The photo files are rather large so I’ve only uploaded three of the photos:
http://www.annehughesdiary.co.uk/DSC_0104.JPG
http://www.annehughesdiary.co.uk/DSC_0105.JPG
http://www.annehughesdiary.co.uk/DSC_0106.JPG

By Googling, the nearest thing I’ve found that might resemble this map is the ink and wash home guard map I discovered here:
http://www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk/GetRecord/SHCOL_1293

My local historian friend, who is ex RAF (national service), tells me that the red hatched areas on his map are where there were WW2 airfields or related stuff, but what the boundaries and colour washed areas denote and what the red asterisks represent is a mystery so far.
I tried to look at the Defence of Britain Overlay on Google Earth as you suggested but haven’t been able to discover how to do this. A few instructions as to how to access it would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Ian.

PETERTHEEATER
08-05-2011, 07:00
Right. First of all the Defence of Britain Database download.

An AiX member cptpies has made up an extended database as a KMZ file which can be downloaded 'unzipped' and opend in Google Earth. Initially it will go into your Temporary Files in the (bottom of the left hand window) When you close GE it will ask if you want to save the temporary file. If you click YES it will open that file next time you open GE.

It's a 'heavy' file so, if you click on the + box to expand the menu of contents you can decide which placemark groups you want to open.

Go to this link page: scroll to the bottom of cptpies post and click on his DoB Database extended link.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=863080#Post863080

I have had a quick look at the map via your link and on DSC 0105 the red hatched areas are airfields although the one for Akeman Street seems incorrect location.

I have an appointment so cannot comment further at this time but hope other readers can help.

with regards

AnneHughesDiary Research
08-05-2011, 12:25
Thanks very much for your help, Peter. I can now see the Defence of Britain information on Google Earth. I looked at areas that interest me and noted that although the RAF small arms range at Chipping Norton is shown, the surviving peri-track of Chipping Norton Relief Landing Ground is not while the airfield itself is shown as “removed”. The hard standing (threshold?) at the end of what was one of the two steel mesh runways there also survives and can be compared with the GE rollback for 1945.

Curiously the nissen huts that were in nearby Sarsden are not shown on the GE rollback, and I know for a fact they were there in 1946 as I have the RAF aerial photo of that date. I guess that was either one of the censored areas or that the date on GE of 1945 is wrong.
I clearly have a lot to learn about all this.

Regards,
Ian.

PETERTHEEATER
09-05-2011, 07:59
Yes, the GE '1945' imagery has been discussed on AiX under the Google Earth thread. The imagery is made up of a mosaic of aerial photographs the individual dates of which vary. Some were censored others not. Still, such as there is it is better than nothing.

Nissen huts were easily dismantled and re-erected elsewhere often close to their original position. Immediately post war there was a rush to return land to the original owners and get agricultural production going so the nation's Farmer Giles took advantage of temporary hutting although much was sold on and is in use today!

AnneHughesDiary Research
10-05-2011, 09:57
Thanks again Peter.
Back to the Kingham USAAF Depot. If I can gain access to the site and the building, shortly I hope to get some photos of that ammunition inspection building at Adlestrop HiIl and will keep you informed.
Ian.

AnneHughesDiary Research
27-05-2011, 11:17
Following a visit to the site of what I believe to be the Kingham Ammunition storage and inspection site at Adlestrop Hill Quarry, I have posted some photos here:
http://www.annehughesdiary.co.uk/Ammo_bldng_and_mounds__photos_1_&_2_lo_res.jpg
and
http://www.annehughesdiary.co.uk/Ammo_bldng_and_mounds__photos_3_&_4_lo_res.jpg
The mounds or traverses mentioned earlier in this thread are still there, all four of them, and consist largely of stone and earth, probably excavated on site. The cut into the landscape formed by the quarry also seems to have been a part of the scheme. The Nine storage Nissens mentioned in the 38th Engineer document are no longer there but there is still a very long building located between the two parallel mounds that run approximately north south. I thought, when I was there, that this was a replacement building in the same position as the WW2 building because it is made of prefabricated concrete components and has a corrugated asbestos roof. However talking to my mother, she knew of WW2 buildings with asbestos roofs and a little online research suggests that this building is a British Concrete Federation Light hut used in WW2.
See the same or similar structural components in one of the photos here: http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/united-kingdom/18970-comrie-bevin-boy-camp.html
The building between the mounds at Adlestrop Hill is therefore quite possibly the original ammunition inspection building spoken of in the US 38th Engineers 1944 document. Before I realised that the building also might be original it seemed to me that this location was quite probably an unusual survival of this type of WW2 functional site and so I put in an online request to English Heritage to consider its historical value and whether there is a case for preservation. A plan to turn the site into an inert waste recycling facility has previously been withdrawn but other applications may well be made in the future. My feeling is that at the least it should be recorded before it disappears.
Can you guys say whether this site is in a unique or at least unusually complete state of preservation? And can you say if the building is the original WW2 structure?
Any help, thoughts or comments welcomed.
Ian.

PETERTHEEATER
28-05-2011, 05:33
Thanks for the follow-up information Ian.

The building certainly looks to be the original and, as you identify a BCF (Light?) Hut extended; however I shall leave it to others (NP where are you?) to confirm. I'm not sure about those concrete knees.

There are many other BCF survivors around the country so I do not think that it is rare although I have never seen one that long. Again, NP will be able to comment on a case for preservation based on its context.

AnneHughesDiary Research
29-05-2011, 00:13
Thanks for your take on the building, Peter. I tried replying earlier today but couldn't get the website to accept my entry. I hope NP can shed more light on the possible heritage potential, or otherwise, of the site. I'll keep you posted on any developments.
Regards,

Ian.

P Bellamy
21-12-2012, 22:01
1943 US Army Ord. Dept. site plan:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/ramc181/Continuation%20Album%201/O-670sp1_zps2083cf38.jpg

PETERTHEEATER
22-12-2012, 13:07
Thanks Paul, I have seen this and the other ODs that you have posted but I am transient in UK and will follow up on return to my Thailand.

Did you find these in a US archive?

P Bellamy
22-12-2012, 15:18
Cheers Peter,

The plans are from a file from NARA I rediscovered yesterday.
The same file contains a fair number of photos in and around various depots which I'll sift through for the best ones and post into the relevant site threads eventually. :)

PETERTHEEATER
08-02-2013, 08:05
These are from the US Army Ordnance files courtesy of Fold3 but the site was manned by various elements of the US Army, USAAF and British Army:

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l366/PRACHUAP/KinghamO670railheadpic_zps216f9d24.jpg

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l366/PRACHUAP/KinghamANM441000HEbombsroadside_zps47298e41.jpg

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l366/PRACHUAP/KinhamM342000HEroadsidestorage_zps925b96b6.jpg