PDA

View Full Version : RAF Hill House, Stanmore

Paul Francis
11-11-2010, 00:15
Anyone have any info please on RAF Hill House, the 11 Group filter room?

Richard Flagg
11-11-2010, 19:05
Google Streetview of Hill House for those who don't know where it is;
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=stanmore&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=20.6667,67.631836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Stanmore,+Greater+London,+United+Kingdom&t=h&layer=c&cbll=51.624658,-0.320862&panoid=UHw4_-LfoK9uXDeUFbdxaQ&cbp=12,193.84,,0,-7.46&ll=51.624631,-0.320669&spn=0.00132,0.004128&z=19

canberra
12-11-2010, 17:37
When I saw the title of this post I got confused and thought it referred to Hillingdon House!

ted angus
12-11-2010, 18:29
When I saw the title of this post I got confused and thought it referred to Hillingdon House!

Blimey Canberra I thought you were good with maps !!!!
Question is was Hill House an RAF Station in its own right i.e. self accounting or was it RAF Unit Hill House or merely a Bentley or Uxbridge satellite ??

I have read it was the 11 Group Filter room ??

TED

canberra
12-11-2010, 18:44
I would have thought as it was the 11 Group filter room it would have been a satellite of Bentley Priory.

Paul Francis
13-11-2010, 21:07
Yes RAF Hill House (makes no difference anyhow as satellites which were not self-accounting were still known as RAF................).Anyhow it was self- accounting. And yes I have looked at the ORB, though this is post-war, when actually it opened c.1943 and closed c.1958.

alphabeta
03-01-2011, 15:46
I worked at Hill House as a controller 1951 - 53. It was a jumbo Nissan hut onto which various additions has been built. It was in the garden of a grade II listed house of the same name. Went back some years later and the whole thing had been demolished and the area built over with houses. It was of course a satellite of Bentley Priory - as anyone who worked there would know - from the top brass which pased by frequently. All the RAF personnel working there had quarters at RAF Stanmore

Paul Francis
03-01-2011, 16:11
Thanks very much Alphabeta, I thought there was a Nissen hut involved but I think it was an extension, the original ops room being inside the house.

alphabeta
04-01-2011, 16:40
Not in my time norwichpaul. We had no access to the house. The entrance to the site was seperate with it's own ground plus all the nomal facilities

Paul Francis
04-01-2011, 17:35
How interesting, I wish there was a site plan avalable. Thanks

Roy
13-07-2011, 16:13

RAF Hill House was a partial underground site situated at the northern end of Green Lane, Stanmore. It was the Sector Operations Centre for 11 Group Fighter Command. Those of us who worked there all lived on HQ (Unit) RAF Stanmore Park as did thosewho staffed the Air Defence Operation Centre at RAF Bentley Priory. Both units were administered by Stanmore Park. Staff for Hill House marched from Stanmore Park to Hill House for each watch under controol of a junior NCO. Staff for Bentley travelled by 3 tonner or coach.
Hill House took over from the 11 Group BOB plotting room at RAF Uxbridge, towards the end of or after the war.

Hill House received information from all the radar stations in 11 Group filtered the info and then passed it to Air Defence Operations Centre (ADOC) at Bentley Priory. All Groups adopted the same procedure thus giving ADOC a picture of everything that was flying in the vicinity of the UK.

The ground floor had large plotting table covering SE England and Northern Europe. Stationed around it were Airmen and WAAFs each linked to a Radar station.
Information received was placed on the table. In one corner of the room was a patch panel on which an NCO could listen in to any of the plotters. The first floor was a balcony that housed positions for tellers to pass each plotter's info to ADOC. Also on the balcony was the RAF Controller and an Army "Ack Ack" controller and other Officers who on instructions from the controller could scramble aircraft to identify incoming aircraft. There was supervision "patch panel" onthe balcony. Off the balcony was an Air Traffic Control office which received Flight Plans and assisted in identifying plots.

I was stationed there from 1954 t0 1956

Paul Francis
13-07-2011, 16:44
Thank you Roy, that is very interesting.

Peter Bell
06-03-2013, 15:54
Does anyone have any info. regarding this site which was in use about 1953/54. I am trying to find a particular person who was stationed there about this time. Woul;d be glad to hear from anyone. Cheers. Peter.

Jonjo
09-11-2014, 19:41

I served at Hill House from early 1953 till October 1955
Everything Roy said was correct, it was a Nisseen hut and because the roof was metal it used to get sweltering hot in the summer. We only used to work either morning shift or afternoon shift, alternating days. On morning shift we used to finish at lunch time, then afternoon shift took over. After lunch the morning shift would do fatigues around the complex, then leave about 2 - 2.30pm.
The afternoon shift used to arrive mid morning do fatigues for about an hour have lunch and then take over from morning shift, finishing the day at 5 pm. &nless there was some emergency like an unidentified aircraft approaching. It got scary at times because this was at the height of the cold war.
If I remember correctly the C/O was w/Cmdr. Triptree, raid recognition Officer was Flt. Lt. Harold Taylor (who was a member of the magic circle)

Paul Francis
09-11-2014, 21:58
Thanks Jonjo