PDA

View Full Version : Marchington

mgmstar
21-11-2010, 02:13
AAF Station 158 Sudbury / Marchington

I really appreciate all the info on this site. Maybe someone can help me locate this station. I am confused as to where station 158 was located. Some references say Sudbury, Staffs., some say Sudbury, Derbyshire. Is this the same place??
I am sitting here in Minnesota in the US, never been to the UK, not familiar with counties and cities over there.
Any help as to where this USAAF station was located would really be awesome!
Here's two pics of my dad at this base in 1943-1945. He was a supply sergeant at the depot. Looks like a Nissen hut, am I correct, although it seems much taller. He's the joker on the left in the outside photo. The "sign" says Supply Sec.

P Bellamy
21-11-2010, 03:20
Sudbury is in Derbyshire, right on the Staffordshire border.
Station 158 would appear to have been on the Staffordshire side, just to the east of Marchington, with a large number of Nissen and Rommney huts fed by road and rail surrounding where Dovegate Prison now stands.

All the best,
PB

PETERTHEEATER
21-11-2010, 05:27
Welcome to AiX mgmstar,

I reckon this is the location:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.87363081135289&lon=-1.7925728418580835&gz=16&oz=7&gt=1

Dave Smith
21-11-2010, 11:02
Welcome to AiX. That looks like a Romney hut and the interesting 'sign' appears to be a USAAF (25lb?) practice bomb!

mgmstar
21-11-2010, 16:17
Thanks for the quick responses. This is starting to make more sense to me. Sta. 158 Sudbury was just a supply depot. Sta. 174 Sudbury was the airfield.
I went to the "wheresthepath" link and then to google maps street view. There appears to be one hut left standing at this site. I"ll just have to imagine it's my dad's supply shed.

Carnaby
21-11-2010, 16:56
I"ll just have to imagine it's my dad's supply shed.
This (http://goo.gl/maps/7Z7l) must be it I guess. Certainly looks like your dad's shed :D.

Welcome to the forum mgmstar.

Graham

P Bellamy
21-11-2010, 16:58
From fragmentary map coverage I've pieced together an overlay showing as much of of the site as I can identify.
Whether the 1950s Marchington Depot was built over any more storage sidings I can't say as yet.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/ramc181/Sud3.jpg

All the best,
PB

mgmstar
21-11-2010, 18:28
Of course, that has to be it
Well, it's got slits for windows as my dad's shed had.
If you're ever in the area, one of you should sneak in there and see if the practice bomb sign is still hanging :lol:

canberra
21-11-2010, 18:37
Thats the problem with this country, were not very big and we have so many places with the same or similar name. Theres a place near London called Sunbury, I always get it confused with Sudbury.

Denis
21-11-2010, 18:41
I'm sure someone on here must live local enough to it. They could take a decent photo for you!

Ossington_2008
21-11-2010, 20:33
You are a star Mr Bellamy! I had always thought that Sta 158 Sudbury was just the current prison site about 2 miles NE of the Marchington depot (and N of the A50 near Sudbury village) and that the Marchington site was a separate entity.

P Bellamy
21-11-2010, 20:49
HMP Sudbury was originally the wartime Sudbury Park Hospital:

Built 1943 (Bolero)
750 beds
US Army
28th Station Hospital ? - 20 October 1943
108th General Hospital (plus Hospital Train No.43) 20 October 1943 - 16 May 1944
182nd General Hospital (inc. 682nd General Hospital Complementary Unit) 16 May 1944 to 31 Oct 1945
POW Camp 1945-1948
HMP Sudbury 1948 - present day

All the best,
PB

tigger
21-11-2010, 21:10
Not sure what is left around there but I'm in Marchington tomorrow so could probably find time to have a mooch before heading back up north.

mgmstar
21-11-2010, 23:44
Wow, that would be great!

tigger
22-11-2010, 12:24
"In 1941 the American Army created a camp north of Moreton Lane and extending beyond the river at Sudbury. Moreton Lane itself was made straight and wide. The ground was covered with 'Nissen' huts and sheds, and countless railway sidings leading from Sudbury station and Green Lane crossing. Some lines ran across Moreton Lane to east of Silver Lane, where the officers mess buildings were situated, and the vicarage commandeered for administration"
"One curious thing to strike the villagers curiosity was that although there were many black American soldiers, the blacks and whites never mixed; indeed there were many fights."
"Approaching D-Day there was scarcely an inch of ground left as more and more equipment arrived."

From 'The History of Marchington' by Peter Woolley

Another uncredited reference talks of "huge marshalling yards by Sudbury station"

"Known as Marchington Hall, the depot was located to the east of the town, north and south of a minor road near the hamlet of Moreton. Officially designated Station No 193 by the Americans, the depot stored equipment for both the 8th and 9th Air Forces from 1943 to late 1945. On the northern side of the depot, a grass landing strip of approximately 1300 yards in length was constructed"

From 'Staffordshire Airfields in the second world war' by Martyn Chorlton

"Later on in the war, when the bombing decreased and events were gearing up to the Normandy landings, Marchington Camp was taken over by the US Army and used as a maintenance and storage depot. The quiet village street now became a racetrack for left-hand drive vehicles driven without any regard to speed limits by a brand new invasion of gum-chewing, cigar-smoking soldier, the GI. Yoxall's only bridge over the Trent had a hard time during this period, as the US Army trucks seemed hell-bent on demolishing it, and in the end the US Army authorities agreed to rebuild it"

(the street means Sudbury Road, through Yoxall vilage)

From 'Staffordshire within living memory' published by Staffordshire Federation of Womens Institutes

Couldn't find anyone to get permission to walk over to the romney hut. It's in poor condition (there was a better one near the village end entrance gate up until a few years ago).
A couple of photos of the general area uploaded to:
http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p267/trunktemp/marchington/

papabravo
23-11-2010, 00:28
Sudbury and Marchington are separate sites. Sudbury has,for many years, been an "open" prison. It lies to the north of the A50 and was built in the estate grounds of Sudbury Hall which now belongs to the National Trust and houses the Museum of Childhood.The prison has many original,albeit modernised, huts and still has the look of a military camp. Marchington is now the site of Dovedale prison. It lies south of the A50 .in a line South West of Sudbury - only a few miles away.

mgmstar
23-11-2010, 01:04
I'm just overwhelmed that you (Tigger) took the time to stop and look around this area. The photos are great and really give a feel for the landscape.
I know the sacrifice the original owners of this land made when those GI's took over. But it's good to know these sites still exist.
http://americans.sudburysuffolk.co.uk/american-voices/here-we-are-together/

And thanks to everyone for clearing up my confusion on this base. Fantastic!
Here's one more pic I'm sure was taken at this base with all those buildings in the background.

PETERTHEEATER
23-11-2010, 09:03
Thanks for that link mgmstar, some lovely written memories there.

tigger
23-11-2010, 09:27
Sudbury and Marchington are separate sites. Sudbury has,for many years, been an "open" prison. It lies to the north of the A50 and was built in the estate grounds of Sudbury Hall which now belongs to the National Trust and houses the Museum of Childhood.The prison has many original,albeit modernised, huts and still has the look of a military camp. Marchington is now the site of Dovedale prison. It lies south of the A50 .in a line South West of Sudbury - only a few miles away.

The few locals I spoke to yesterday differentiate between THREE locations - the camp, the depot and the hospital. The camp being the area between Marchington and Sudbury occupied by the British and Americans during WWII. The depot referring to the 1950s part now occupied by the industrial estate and the hospital near Sudbury Hall

DocR
20-04-2012, 20:54
Good afternoon, all. My father Captain John V. Richardson served with the 182nd General Hospital as its Utilities Officer; Transportation Officer; and Signal Officer between 5 Mar 1943 and summer 1945. He recollects this time in his autobiography; should anybody care, click on http://www.lulu.com/shop/john-richardson/vignettes/paperback/product-6222266.html. I have enjoyed reading these postings. Thanks especially for the photos! JRjr

gko
10-05-2012, 15:43
History Questions on UK Evacuation - My father was treated in the 182nd General Hosptial from NOV1944-FEB1945. I am trying to gather any information on the Hospital - pictures, may of the time period, "exact" location in Sudbury park (prison or not) if the buildings still exist and are they accessible? I am missing two other pieces to his evacuation to and fro. 1) From Paris in OCT44, his medical card says UK and then we pick his trail up at the 79th General Hospital in Southampton before being sent to the 182nd. Not sure about the trans in between. 2) His return in FEB45 has him leaving Sudbury to the 10th Repo Depot in Lichfield. From there I don't know how he got to Le Harve... Tidworth (12th Repo Depot) and then out thru Southampton? Thanks.

rickholtbolt
10-03-2014, 00:40
AAF Station 158 Sudbury / Marchington

I really appreciate all the info on this site. Maybe someone can help me locate this station. I am confused as to where station 158 was located. Some references say Sudbury, Staffs., some say Sudbury, Derbyshire. Is this the same place??
I am sitting here in Minnesota in the US, never been to the UK, not familiar with counties and cities over there.
Any help as to where this USAAF station was located would really be awesome!
Here's two pics of my dad at this base in 1943-1945. He was a supply sergeant at the depot. Looks like a Nissen hut, am I correct, although it seems much taller. He's the joker on the left in the outside photo. The "sign" says Supply Sec.

Hi,i saw your thread about Marchington camp and thought you may like to see these aerial photos
taken in 1947.if you Google "Britain from above" and sign in,you can use their zoom facility to get a really close look.there are four photos,this link may take you straight there.
hope you find what you are searching for.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw008588?search=marchington&ref=0

cheers Rick

PETERTHEEATER
10-03-2014, 09:42
Some serious rail spurs into the depot shown here:

http://wtp2recorder.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.871438&lon=-1.782327&lz=14&rz=15&lt=Old%2025K&rt=satellite&lov=None&rov=None

rickholtbolt
10-03-2014, 18:40
Some serious rail spurs into the depot shown here:

http://wtp2recorder.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.871438&lon=-1.782327&lz=14&rz=15&lt=Old%2025K&rt=satellite&lov=None&rov=None

Hi Peter,thanks for that map.I'm just hoping the chap who started the thread about his dad
gets to see the photos from Britain from above that i posted a link to.I came across it by accident,
now I cant stop looking to see if i can find where his dad was in the photos.I originally was looking at a line of vehicles which to me look like motorbikes,but I prolly will never find out.
cheers Rick

PETERTHEEATER
28-03-2014, 09:15
Right It took me a while to realise that these site drawings are Marchington although they are titled Sudbury:

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l366/PRACHUAP/WODEPOTSUDBURYSheet1Page122adjusted_zps5ee6b2a9.jp g

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l366/PRACHUAP/WODEPOTSUDBURYSheet2Page117contrasted_zps3bc9547d. jpg

Beware of orientation. North is not top on Sheet 1