PDA

View Full Version : Avro Vulcan: Owner's Workshop Manual - Haynes

ted angus
01-01-2011, 01:44
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ALL%20OTHER%20PHOTOS/Airfield%20Books%20Reviews/Vulcan_cover.jpg

Avro Vulcan: Owner's Workshop Manual - Price, Blackman, Edmondson
Hardcover: 160 pages
Publisher: J H Haynes & Co Ltd (3 Jun 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1844258319
ISBN-13: 978-1844258314

I received this book as a Christmas present as family members know my affinity with the aircraft, Scampton 67 to 70, Akrotiri 70 to 73 Goose 83/4 where I started the last Vulcan to pass through- The aircraft turn round crew were terrified of the STAD which was badly misbehaving in the cold ! so I was duty hero !! One thing spoilt the book for me was the statement that Vulcans on QRA with Blue Steel missiles did not sit with HTP in the missile as it was too dangerous ! What absolute hogwash - Plunge baths were constantly heated and a fire tender & crew sat 24/7 at Q - most of us who had to venture onto Q had a far greater fear of the HTP that was circulating through the missile and the on- ground containers than we were of the warheads. That one mistake made me ask myself did this book tell me anything I hadn't read in a dozen other books or articles ?? I doubt if any of the authors had actually been on the Vulcan/Blue Steel QRA dispersal at Scampton.

Carnaby
20-01-2011, 16:30
I received this book as a Christmas present ... That one mistake made me ask myself did this book tell me anything I hadn't read in a dozen other books or articles ?? I doubt if any of the authors had actually been on the Vulcan/Blue Steel QRA dispersal at Scampton.
On many forums these manuals are commonly known as 'The Haynes Book of Lies'. I agree 100% with that. They have proved a hindrance regarding the car maintenance I've done over the past few decades. Today I changed the headlamp bulb in my Focus. Reading the manual it seems to be a two minute job. No chance - it fails to mention you have to remove the offside headlamp to get the protective cover off and back again. 2.5 hours total.

Clearly a case of the two Laws of Guestimation.

1) When planning a job spend some time over the planning, as a quickly estimated job will take ten times as long as the guess, whereas a meticulously planned job will only take twice as long.

2) When planning a job make a quick guess, then double the number, and upgrade the unit. Examples: Quick Guess of 5 minutes = 10 hours realistic. 2 hours guess = 4 days realistic. 1 week quick guess = 2 months realistic.
Graham