PDA

View Full Version : Austin K9 4x4

airfields man
20-07-2011, 22:44
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/airfieldsman/PAULS%20SCANS%20TWO/bighouse021.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/airfieldsman/PAULS%20SCANS%20TWO/bighouse022.jpg
I saw this today along the A40 near Cheltenham. No time to inspect properly...any ideas ?

ted angus
20-07-2011, 23:26
Austin K9 4x4 1 tonner circa 1953-5. All services used them. The RAF had GS truck with canvas tilt, crash ambulance and sigs body of several versions.
TED

Jenna
21-07-2011, 08:42
think your dates are dead on, she's registered as a 4ltr petrol k9 (military spec Loadstar) built in 52, however the slotted bonnet is a later spec so probably a '53/'54... looks remarkably similar to a wrecker the k9 club found in Leamington (then blue) a few years ago?

DVLA also says she was yellow (which you can see coming through the paint on the wrecker body), shame to see her going to rust out in the open.

Hawkeye001
21-07-2011, 08:52
Is it possible for someone to find out what is happening with it and letting us know please?

HawkEye001

Jenna
21-07-2011, 09:22
Austin runs the K9 club (yes the Austin K9 Register) I can send him a pm to find out...
done

Hawkeye001
21-07-2011, 09:26
Please if you could Jenna?

Many Thanks,

HawkEye001

airfields man
21-07-2011, 19:02
After a long trek around the cotswolds yesterday, then finding and taking photographs of former war office HQs and SOE sites within Cheltenham, later due to roadworks and a diversion finding the Whittle pub, I eventually started-off for home. I saw this unknown vehicle by the hedge as I flashed past, debating whether to go back and photograph it or not within half a mile or so I found a good place to turn-around...so I did. The number plate [ of which we have a facination of ] I thought would be very appropriate if it was a late sixties-early seventies model with 747 as part of the registration. There is a house close too this parked-up lorry...so perhaps belongs to them?

Papav66
21-07-2011, 19:05
Hello and thanks to Jenna for invite to site.

Only a handful were actually built as recovery vehicles & not even sure if any have survived.

This particular one was originally a GS vehicle and it was quite common for garages to convert as it made a good 4x4 / medium recovery vehicle. Many also ended up on building sites in Spain.

I have seen this one & it is in reasonable condition. I think last year the owner put it up for sale, I don't have contact details so can only suggest someone knocks on the door.

cheers
Paul

Jenna
22-07-2011, 09:21
Thanks,

Is it me or has there been quite a few K9's appear on ebay lately, sadly they also seam to have sold for very little money (well happily if your a new K9 owner).

ricasso
22-07-2011, 09:46
It belongs to the chap who lives in the house opposite it, if you look over the hedge next to his house the woodland is full of 50s/60s cars all rotting away, Ive been told he's not the most approachable of people but ive never spoken to him so I couldnt verify that.
the truck has been parked there for quite a few years now.

Jenna
22-07-2011, 15:57
there is a photo of her taken I would guess last year on the Classic Commercial Motor Vehicles website...
http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p730199789/h33cd882d#h33cd882d

airfields man
22-07-2011, 20:50
the woodland is full of 50s/60s cars all rotting away, There's a place very similar to this near where I live, why do some people do that to these now very collectable cars. Vauxhall Victors, Singers, Triumphs MGs etc etc. About 15 different cars in all...criminal.

ricasso
22-07-2011, 20:57
they think there sitting on their retirement fund but obviously all the time the motors are getting beyond restoration, it depressing when you see small saplings growing up through the engine bay....

ricasso
22-07-2011, 21:15
there was an old farmer up on cleeve hill (just outside of cheltenham) who for years had an old Aliss Chalmers model U in the corner of his field slowly rusting away.
this tractor was quite quite a rarity in Britain and this particular model (not this particular tractor!) actually held the farm tractor speed record at 35 1/2 MPH for many years!, despite my best efforts he would not budge on it and eventually he died and the yard was cleared, to my knowlege it went for scrap!!! absolute crying shame.

OneEighthBit
24-07-2011, 16:14
It belongs to the chap who lives in the house opposite it, if you look over the hedge next to his house the woodland is full of 50s/60s cars all rotting away, Ive been told he's not the most approachable of people but ive never spoken to him so I couldnt verify that.
the truck has been parked there for quite a few years now.

Yeah I know exactly where that truck is parked and the garden you mean. I must be one of the lucky ones though - I haven actually been allowed into his garden and allowed to look at the "graveyard". A school friend of mines father owned an ex-RAF AEC Matador he used to show off at Northleach Steam Rally. This chap with the Austin was one of his mates so it was through that connection that I got to take a look around. What's left now is just a portion of what was there before. I almost wept.

ricasso
24-07-2011, 17:57
Yeah I know exactly where that truck is parked and the garden you mean. I must be one of the lucky ones though - I haven actually been allowed into his garden and allowed to look at the "graveyard". A school friend of mines father owned an ex-RAF AEC Matador he used to show off at Northleach Steam Rally. This chap with the Austin was one of his mates so it was through that connection that I got to take a look around. What's left now is just a portion of what was there before. I almost wept.

Your friends father, did he used to live in Cheltenham by any chance?

OneEighthBit
25-07-2011, 13:34
Your friends father, did he used to live in Cheltenham by any chance?

Not as long I knew him. He lived in Northleach until he died of cancer some time around 1996. I don't know who took over the Matador but it's possible it's in Cheltenham now. He had another friend at Chedworth who had a number of amry trucks and they used to go to shows together.