PDA

View Full Version : Relocated Hangars

Peter Kirk
15-08-2008, 21:16
THIS IS THE DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THE ASSOCIATED AUDIT THREAD HERE:
www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?1244-Relocated-Hangars-(Extant)

Is it worth drawing up a list of hangars that have been relocated to non-airfield sites? Maybe include airfield sites.
I know one of the old pre-war hangars from Gravesend was moved to an industrial estate in Northfleet a few miles away. I know there are more but I can't recall them at the moment.
What do you think?
It might save an embarrasing "what airfield was this?" post!

Peter

CDP
15-08-2008, 21:26
Although questionable, and there's no photographic evidence (at the moment), there is a hangar which very closely resembles a Robin not very far from Abbots Bromley on a small industrial estate.

NJR can probably fix the location better then I can, as he was driving.

Also, there are a couple of WW1 sheds which were moved from Doncatser.

Don;t have the refrence4s to hand at the moment but again, NJR can fill in the details.

Sorry to be so scant on this.

Chris

Daveg4otu
19-08-2008, 17:18
At Ashley Cross roads, New Milton , Hampshire, Ashley Motors(car repairs) use a hangar that apparently came from RAF Beaulieu.
Hangars are not a particular interest of mine so can't really say exactly what type - but the nearest I can find to match what it looks like now would be a Mainhill(About right size, similar roof height and shape- but walls are vertical rather than sloped...but I believe that the original structure may have been considerably modified when reassembled.

You can see an aerial view on Google at exactly N50.45.29.85/W 1.38.18.12

Sorry can't be more definate about type.

Scapa
10-09-2008, 20:40
I think it is a nice idea to list such hangars, ideally also stating which ones still survive and which have now gone. Blister hangars on farms and in industrial use were a popular choice and quite a few Bellmans and T.2s were moved arund the country postwar too. More recently a few have of course been rescued and re-erected at museums such as the N&SAM at Flixton, plus Duxford & Elvington.

The only one I can presently think of in Surrey is a former WW1 Kite Balloon Shed at Leatherhead complete until quite recently but which now only partially survives as a maintenance garage for a van rental company.

10-09-2008, 21:01
That hangar you describe at New Milton sounds more like a Dutch Barn type hangar as opposed to a Mainhill S Shed. I will keep a look out for it when I am next over that way. Although old myself I try to keep away from New Milton and Highcliffe as I dont wish to be reminded of how old I am by looking at all the wrinklies that live there.

Denis
10-09-2008, 23:29
One of the Willingale/Chipping Ongar T2's is at North Weald, as is Matching's T2 from opposite the tower.

kebecker
28-09-2008, 16:33
Hanger 2 at Duxford; this is from the IWM web site

"By 1951 a new concrete runway had been laid and a type T2 hangar erected alongside the four First World War hangars. Although the original T2 hangar has gone, the Museum has since put up another two Second World War T2 hangars on the same site. "

so the question is where did the present hangers come from?

Daveg4otu
28-09-2008, 19:03
Boozefighters - that's why I left - but there are nearly as many wrinklies in Torbay as there are in the New Forest area - one more now since I arrived!
:)

Kebeker: In just a general sort of way - whereabouts in PQ are you? - my wife's family come from Terrebonne/Ormstown area... have visited a lot of fields in that part of Canada when on family visits.

One more "moved" hangar ....

At Shanklin IOW, the Summerland Amusement Arcade on the seafront was formerly a seaplane hangar originally at Bembridge where it was used by 253(Nizam of Hyderabad's )Squadron using Campania flying boats and Hamble Babies. It was moved in 1923 from RFC Bembridge and used initially as a theatre.

hugoj_air
06-10-2008, 01:10
Nothing so exotic but I suppose it happens everywhere. Here in Ireland during the late 1950's the hangar from Dublin's first privately owned Airport at Kildonan, Finglas, north co Dublin was purchased by the McMahon family to be used in the motor sales and repair business in Milford
Co Donegal where it remained until about ten years ago when it was demolished to make way
for new council offices. I was inside it a few times little knowing that it was actually a hanger
in a previous life. There is an aerial photo of it in Milford and you can faintly make out the
name of "Kildonan" painted on the roof.
Kildonan grid ref O115406
Milford grid ref C193266
Hugo.

Richard Drew
06-10-2008, 12:19
Two hangars from the Spitfire assembly at High Post, Salisbury, Wilts. They were situated where two new large factories are now, south of the traffic lights, went to Boscombe Down.

http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlantikw ... ngland.htm (http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlantikwall/atlantikwall_html/high_post_htm/south_of_england.htm)

Richard
www.atlantikwall.co.uk (http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk)

MandatorV8
07-10-2008, 20:59
Whilst focus of this thread has been the relocation of hangars to off-airfield sites, hangars have been relocated to other airfields or to another location on the same airfield. Mention has already been made of the twin T2s - known as T2 North and T2 South respectively - at Duxford. I think it is well known that T2 South (erected on the site of the original 1951 T2) came from Tempsford. Anyone got any ideas where T2 North came from?

Could it have been the T2 from Honigton, demolished I presume at the time the HAS sites were constructed in the late 1970s/early 1980s? I believe that a half-length T2 was built at Wattisham to house the Search and Rescue Flight. Another half-length T2 was erected at Chivenor for the same purpose. This suggests a single hangar split between two sites. Could the 'donor' hangar for the Wattisham and Chivenor SAR Enclaves have come from Honington?

I also know that at Bardney a T2 hangar was moved from one side of the airfield to the other, after sale of the site, where it was to be used as a bulk store for the products from the Morrells canning factory in the town. I remember being told, and I think seeing a photograph of, the complete and fully assembled T2 portals being carried across the airfield one by one on the jib of a mobile crane. In a similar vein, I have seen a picture of a complete Nissen hut being moved in a similar manner.

Turning to hangars moved off military airfields, many of these of course ended up on the small civil airfields and airstrips. Ones that spring to mind are the hangar that was at Skegness (Ingoldmells). This comprised two Extra Over-type Blister hangaars and a Dorman Long-type Blister hangar laid end-to-end. A similar technique of laying a number of Blister hangars end-to-end was used at Boston, with both airfields and their associated hangars being opened in the period 1947/48. Lots of other civil airfields ended up with one or more Blister hangars - Old Buckenham springs immediately to mind. Wan't it a Blister hangar that was burnt out several years ago at Felthorpe?

Questions, questions, questions!

CDP
15-10-2008, 22:18
Spotted just off a roundabout on the A518 in Uttoxeter, a single Robin. There's only one place this could have realistically come from and that's Abbotts Bromley, which still has one in-situ, if a little dilapidated these days.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/222sqn/DSC_1288.jpg

It now forms part of Staffordshire Highways Uttoxeter Depot. Unfortunately, trying to get a rear three-quarter or rear view is next to impossible as the road which runs alongside and to the rear is a nightmare! The open doors hide the sloping sides.

Chris

Richard Drew
19-10-2008, 13:37
http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlantikwall/awall_use/langarobinr01/pics/main03.jpg

Super Robins north of Langar?

http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlantikw ... page01.htm (http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlantikwall/awall_use/langarobinr01/html/page01.htm)

P Bellamy
26-10-2008, 16:35
There's what looks like a Blister Hangar in a farmyard immediately north of RAF Kings Cliffe, which I'm assuming didn't travel far... ;)

Live Maps link (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=52.578448~-0.475236&style=a&lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1)

All the best,
PB

Daveg4otu
31-10-2008, 09:22
Another relocated hangar from Beaulieu was apparently one used by Wilmot Mansour Ltd who were manufacturers of Target gliders and drones in the immediate postwar years - and later made the Jetex motors for models(The memories that brings back!).

The company operated at Marwell Hall towards the end of WW2 then moved to Beaulieu where they occupied a hangar.

In 1947 the company moved to Totton (west of Southampton) and took the hangar with them to the new site in Nutsey Lane.

Looking at GE it seems to have gone now but was apparently still there in 2001 ...a very small picture on this page (near bottom on right).

http://jetex.org/history/path_to_jetex.html

CDP
01-11-2008, 09:39
As this thread seems to be pretty healthy, any volunteers for starting an audit for them? Seems there's enough information starting to come forward. If anyone does, have a look at the current audits and format. Any takers chaps?

Chris

Peter Kirk
01-11-2008, 18:11
As this thread seems to be pretty healthy, any volunteers for starting an audit for them? Seems there's enough information starting to come forward. If anyone does, have a look at the current audits and format. Any takers chaps?

Chris

Seeing as I started the thread I feel compelled to volunteer. I will post to the audits section but give me a week or so as I am sure I made notes somewhere on others I came across, unless I chucked them!!

Peter

CDP
03-11-2008, 10:09
Cheers for the offer Pete - you know the general format of them. Look forward to seeing it.

Chris

olympusman
04-11-2008, 20:01
You have another 'Blister' north of the given position on the Live Map Link... or am I wrong ?

P Bellamy
04-11-2008, 20:17
Well spotted.
I hadn't looked that far north in detail.

GE gives them spans of 88'x45' for the southern one, and 89'x96' for the northern one.

PB

PJH
08-11-2008, 19:09
Digging through my recent researches on the fifties, the following hangars were erected at Fighter Command airfields over this period (although Llanbedr was in the hands of the RAE when it got its 'new' hangars). All those listed were T2s except for Woodvale which got a Bellman. Given that these hangar types had not been built since the war, they must have been moved from somewhere. Quantities and approx erection dates are given.

Acklington 1 Mar 51 - Aug 52
Biggin Hill 1 1949, 1 1949-50, 2 1952
Church Fenton 1 1952
Duxford 1 1951 - Feb 52
Llanbedr 2 1955
North Weald 2 1952-53
Odiham 1 Feb 52 - Dec 52, 1 1952 - Apr 53
Tangmere 1 1950, 2 1951-52
Turnhouse 1 1952, 1 1956 (two half lengths for Ferranti)
Woodvale 1 Bellman 1950-51
West Malling 2 1949 - May 50

Peter Kirk
10-11-2008, 16:20
Another one, courtesy of Ivor Jones' book. RAF Brawdy, three T2 hangars from St Davids. Navy, for the use of. NGR = SM844248

I have also posted in the audits section the relocated hangars from this thread up to November 4th. I will add any additions posted here as soon as I can. Meanwhile if anyone has any updates to those posted, especially grid references either post here or in the relevant audit post. Please note that as per audit rules any post will be added to the audit and then deleted.

vulcanb2
20-11-2008, 15:33
On a visit to Chivenor in Sept 2007, I was told that the SAR 9-bay T2 Hangar A came from Wattisham.

A T2 hangar at Risby, Bury St Edmunds (TL801653) off the A14 on the S side of the railway, close to & used by a large Claas agricultural machinery base, came from Westley airfield?

canberra
10-12-2008, 20:33
The Hangar (yes there was only one) at RAF Laarbruch came from the German airfield at Oldenburg.

WJT
10-12-2008, 22:04
Canberra: Depends what you mean by only one hangar at Laarbruch. There was one main hangar on the south side, used by Aircraft Servicing Flight, and I presume that was the one you believe was relocated from Oldenburg. There are also four T2-style hangars, one in each of the squadron sites at the four corners of the airfield. I may have some data somewhere, but these look like T2s - so where did they come from?

Delboy
09-01-2009, 19:07
There were 6 hangars at Laarbruch, at least there were when I was there in the late 1980's. The ASF hangar on the south side (which looks like it is used as the terminal building now) was definately not a T2. Each squadron had a hangar on its dispersal. I didn't think that these were T2s. However looking at some pictures of Laarbruch on airliners.net the hangars look like they could be modified and reclad T2s. There was also another hangar which was used by the gliding club, located next to the XV squadron dispersal, in the south west corner, which I think was a T2. The army also used this hangar to store their heavy airfield repair trucks.

Also there was still a T2 hangar on the North West dispersal at Honington when I was there in 1984. I guess it was removed when the HAS site was built there later. Only one HAS site at Honington In 1984. Does this help in trying to locate the source of the T2s at Chivenor and Wattisham?

PETERTHEEATER
11-01-2009, 08:13
There is this hangar adjacent to the former Portsmouth airport. Was it one belonging to the airfield or is it a transplant?

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.82963 ... =0&src=msa

Looks like a 'C' Type which was not exactly portable so probably it is in its original location.

Any ideas?

Paul Francis
11-01-2009, 10:48
Are we were debating this in the last Century in airfield Review, it looks like a type C aircraft shed - the austerity version but we decided that as it was on the opposite side of the railway it was probably nothing to do with the airport - but even after all these years it is still a mystery.

Richard Flagg
11-01-2009, 11:06
There is this hangar adjacent to the former Portsmouth airport. Was it one belonging to the airfield or is it a transplant?

Looks like a 'C' Type which was not exactly portable so probably it is in its original location.

Any ideas?

Peter

Can the location / flashearth link be re-posted please? Thanks

Peter Kirk
11-01-2009, 11:55
Wasn't a 'C' moved from Castle Bromwich?

Paul Francis
11-01-2009, 12:10
Yes it was it was covered very well in Airfield Review some years ago but I cannot recall the issue number,

Peter Kirk
11-01-2009, 13:31
AR No. 82 April 1999. Mentions Castle Bromwich and Portsmouth.

I really must tidy this thread up and move the chat to the proper place!

PETERTHEEATER
12-01-2009, 10:09

Any ideas?

Peter

Can the location / flashearth link be re-posted please? Thanks

Yes. Here it is:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.82962 ... =0&src=msa (http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.829626&lon=-1.05971&z=18&r=0&src=msa)

Thomo 01
05-02-2009, 19:07
Did anyone know the Queen's Hall in Watton town is part of a hangar from the airfield? All the iron work in the roof is all the original hangar with bits added on when moved to it's new site sometime in the 1950's.

kebecker
05-02-2009, 20:03
Ahh Queens Hall, saw the Dagenham Girl Pipers there, hadnt realised where it had come from though

P Bellamy
05-02-2009, 21:08
From historyofwatton.org.uk (http://www.historyofwatton.org.uk/wattonttages/062.htm):

Queens Hall
In October 1952 Watton Parish Council called a meeting to consider what would form a suitable commemoration of the Coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. A large majority favoured the erection of a Public Hall as there was a long standing need for such an amenity in Watton. A commit*tee was appointed and quickly embarked on their formidable task of providing a Public Hall and the subsidiary task of organising Coronation Festivities in the town.

Within a year a suitable site had been purchased and the idea of using an existing steel hangar frame as the mainstay of the building was adopted and negotiations for such a frame commenced, A hangar was purchased on December 29th 1953 and in three weeks was dismantled and brought to Watton for cleaning and painting. Plans for the Hall having been approved by all the authorities concerned, the boundary wall, fronting Norwich Road, was breached and an entrance cut to the site on April 5th 1954.

Work on felling 18 trees, bulldozing out roots and excavating for building foundations preceded rapidly and by August 1954 the hangar frame was erected. Having complied with the necessary con*ditions for obtaining a Ministry of Education grant, notification was received from the Ministry during September that a grant of 1,762 would be paid by instalments, providing that the work was done by voluntary labour.

PB

ColinBa
05-02-2009, 23:39
Ahh Queens Hall, saw the Dagenham Girl Pipers there, hadnt realised where it had come from though
I am ashamed to say I was recently listening to a song by the Luton Girls Choir and recognised them but I don't feel so sad now you have owned up to actually paying to see the Dagenham Girls Pipers. Those were the days.

ColinBa
06-02-2009, 14:05
I didnt pay, I was smuggled in under one of their kilts!
Is it true about what they wore under the kilts?

mawganmad
06-02-2009, 14:16
Anyone know hangar type involved? I'm guessing not a C!!

P Bellamy
06-02-2009, 14:35
The link above gives the following dimensions:

"...105 feet in length by 36 feet in width...."

TTFN,
PB

kebecker
06-02-2009, 15:42
Just speculation (of course!) could this frame have come rom the Griston side of Watton?

Thomo 01
06-02-2009, 16:28
Just speculation (of course!) could this frame have come rom the Griston side of Watton?

I think it did mate.

The Crunchy Nutter
06-02-2009, 22:18
There is a T2 on an industrial estate in Great Yeldham, near Braintree, which was removed in 1959 from Biggin Hill. Plans are underway to turn the building into a transport museum - there are already several railway vehicles, a Frankfurt tram, a dozen or so buses, a tank and several commercial vehicles in residence, some of which are actively undergoing restoration work. A good friend of mine keeps his Series IIA Land Rover there, which is currently midway through a complete rebuild.

Will grab some photos next time I am down there. Some of the other buildings also have a military look about them - not sure about their history though.

Hanger is located at Hunnable Industrial Estate, Toppesfield Road, Great Yeldham - sorry I'm useless with map refs :oops:

PETERTHEEATER
17-05-2009, 06:44
Browsing back through old issues of Airfield Review I found (in Vol 7, No 3, Page 19) a statement that No 60 M.U. RAF once operated out of a T2 hangar (re-located?) at Shipton railway station (about 5m NNW of York) with the personnel billeted in local villages.

The article goes on to say that the hangar was extant (in 1985) but difficult to recognise due to being extended to permit the storage of sugar.

Here's a Flash Earth link:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=54.02039 ... =0&src=msa (http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=54.020398&lon=-1.164589&z=17.9&r=0&src=msa)

Any ideas?

Peter Kirk
17-05-2009, 12:00
I don't think it is there in your Flash Earth link. The original location (assuming it wasn't moved) was in the central cluster of buildings. I have made an attempt to draw its original location based on old maps. This, of course, assumes that the building on the map was a T2.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn128/PNK_album/ShiptonT2Location.jpg

It appears that that the original building was extended to the west towards the railway line and apparently doubling its size. A further building was added to the east later but slighly detached and of similar size to a T2. This doesn't reflect the current layout of this cluster but it is possible that the later addittion to the east is the one still there. The extensions appear to be in situ in the 60s but the western two buidlings, one being the T2?, were removed sometime before 1990 leaving the eastern addition the sole survivor at this point. The current buildings added since 1990.

All dates are approximate as they depend on map updates matching publication dates.

mawganmad
07-07-2009, 12:18
Here's a strange one, there appears to be a Mainhill behind a terrace of houses in Tucking Mill, Camborne, Cornwall. Hard to stop and investigate when your driving a truck, but will try and confirm sometime!

Carnaby
07-07-2009, 19:00
Discussion on Relocated Hangars, along with photos can be found on this thread here;
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=991
Now moved HERE (http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?t=738)

typhoons
05-08-2009, 09:47
Does anyone know if the T2 hangar at Hemswell is the original one??? if so it seems to have been moved from its original location. I am assuming that there was only the one built, which seems to continue the line of the bombing circle. This is evident in the Night bombers film. If you look at where it is now it is further round to the East. Does anyone know if it was moved and why :confused:???

Phillip Rhodes
11-09-2009, 23:51
T2 at Elvington. Interesting one: possible Bellman in Driffield (market town), which I was told (during a job interview in 1983) came from RAF Driffield. I have no evidence that this is true, but there is or maybe was a Bellman hangar at Bradshaws Grains on Skerne Road in Driffield.

HelmutSparrow
21-10-2009, 20:50
When I came over to fly with some British pilots in the UK a few years ago, I was talking to someone who told me that his aircraft was stored in a WW1 building which originated from Minchinhampton. As I understand this was later to become RAF Ashton Down. I have been send photos of the building and I have looked at your websites and it looks like a super small version of the Robins hangar with canted sides and pitched roof. Can someone advise me to a definitive description of a Robins hangar, as from looking on your British websites the Robins name is used to describe various hangars and I would like to research this building further without being caught out by unreliable websites. Thanks you for the welcoming.

Paul Francis
21-10-2009, 21:21
Robins hangar (At Exeter USASB).

Type Robins Type 'B' Aircraft Hangar 2204/41 & 6874/43

The Robins hangar (now called Robin) is a small steel-framed aircraft dispersal
shed normally found on Aircraft Storage Units and Satellite Landing Grounds.
The standard arrangement required 'A'- shaped wall frames to be spaced at 12ft 6ins centres to form five bays. Roof and wall sheeting were normally 24-gauge blackpainted corrugated sheeting. At one end only, doors (clear height 14ft) in four leaves open full width (clear span 44ft) along floor and upper guides which project out from the building. The upper guide is supported by a braced outrigger.

The price for a single standard length hangar in 1943 was as follows:

Steel frame 545
Delivery and erection 180
Foundations (stanchions only) 50
Total 775

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/norwichpaul/USNASB%20Exeter/ex15.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/norwichpaul/USNASB%20Exeter/ex5.jpg

Chris Lowe
21-10-2009, 23:38
You can download the drawing for a Robin hangar here http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/technical_bulletins/2002/tb02_02_drawings/330-Layout1.plt.pdf (http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/technical_bulletins/2002/tb02_02_drawings/330-Layout1.plt.pdf)this may help you as well.

HelmutSparrow
23-10-2009, 18:41
Thanks you for replies, but have studied photos and the hangar in question is much smaller than the standard dimensions quoted. When was the Robin hangar first builded?

HS

Paul Francis
23-10-2009, 21:55
1941 to drawing 2204/41 (the 41 after the forward slash is the year).

Paul Francis
23-10-2009, 22:02
HelmutSparrow, your building sounds too small to me to be a WW1 hangar, more like a WW2 hut with canted sides called a Ministry of Supply Living hut. The span is 17ft 3in with a length of 60ft.

John Cooper
23-10-2009, 22:14
If it has nt already been mentioned Wattisham QRA 'shed' was dismantled and is now housing two Lightnings at Bruntingthorpe

HelmutSparrow
23-10-2009, 23:06
I forgot to mention that the hangar I describing was used as an armoury for RFC Minchinhampton or so I am informed. So not use as a hangar for aircraft and very small. It looks like a Robin and has same type of A-frame roof trusses but size is much smaller. I will ask permission to post photos on here but I think my friend wants to keep off the net for the security of his valuable aircraft.

HS

jason
03-11-2009, 18:11
Has anyone any information as to where the Blister hangars at both Little Snoring and Rattlesden originated. They are used by the Flying and Gliding clubs.

PETERTHEEATER
08-11-2009, 10:03
This Blister at Insch, Scotland is reported to have come from Fordoun

http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9eXAuaW5zY2glMmMrc2NvdGxhbmQlN2Vzc3QuMCU3ZXBnL jEmYmI9NTUuMTA5NDA4MDI2MTU2MSU3ZS0zLjUxODAyODI1OTI 3NzMzJTdlNTUuMDI5NTk2MzU2MjU3JTdlLTMuNzE0MDY1NTUxN zU3ODM=

Sorry, the link wont got to the marked spot so, come south from Insch down the B992 to Auchleven then west on the unmarked road toward Leslie. Halfway down the road and south of it is Insch airstrip (?) and you can see the Blister.

PETERTHEEATER
12-11-2009, 11:42
Airfield Review No 61 had a report on an Admiralty Type G Shed relocated from RNAS Newhaven to Wimbledon.

Is it still there?

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=51.41879033268755&lon=-0.20915865898132324&gz=18&oz=9&gt=1

hunterxf382
26-11-2009, 22:20
On the subject of Robin Hangars - at the Midland Air Museum, Coventry, we have a Robin that was donated by Jaguar from their Whitley plant nearby. I think it had been built when AWA were sited there before they moved up to Baginton. I helped with the restoration of this hangar, and here's a photo of the framework during the assembly / painting stage prior to the contractor's cladding it...

The second shot shows it's current location within the Museum site (dark green hangar centre right of shot with Mig parked outside...)

Southend Spitfire
27-11-2009, 10:45
Where does one of Duxford's T2 come from, the one with little doors at the top for bigger tailfins. North Weald had one like that from Stansted i just wondered if that one was the same. I think Duxford's other T2 comes from Tempsford or do they both come together as one big Hangar that it currently is?

PaulHP
07-12-2009, 19:28
I'm sure that the former Ford hangar went to Duxford from Stansted when it was taken down.

WJT
07-12-2009, 22:18
Anyone know where the Sculthorpe hangars have gone? Have they been relocated or have they gone to the great skip in the sky?

Yorkie370
10-12-2009, 09:43
Here's a strange one, there appears to be a Mainhill behind a terrace of houses in Tucking Mill, Camborne, Cornwall. Hard to stop and investigate when your driving a truck, but will try and confirm sometime!

Fairly local to me, I'll try to get a photo or two next time I'm passing.

Rgds

Andy

Carnaby
10-12-2009, 11:38
... there appears to be a Mainhill behind a terrace of houses in Tucking Mill, Camborne
Is this (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=50.22463597668283&lon=-5.280073285102844&gz=19&oz=9&gt=1) it?

Graham

Yorkie370
11-12-2009, 05:38
Is this (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=50.22463597668283&lon=-5.280073285102844&gz=19&oz=9&gt=1) it?

Graham

That's the badger.

Rgds

Andy

Yorkie370
02-01-2010, 18:29
Visited the site this afternoon, photos follow, current owner confirmed previous use as a hangar, probably from Culdrose. His father moved it, so he's going to try to get confirmation for me next time I'm back in the UK.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/ajottaway/P1020067.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/ajottaway/P1020069.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/ajottaway/P1020073.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/ajottaway/P1020070.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b279/ajottaway/P1020075.jpg
Rgds

Andy

Denis
23-02-2010, 21:27
I saw this Blister Hangar near Basildon today when approaching Basildon. I have never noticed it before, even after all the years spent passing the place one time or another.
Any of our other local Essex members know about this, or its origins?

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.587727&lon=0.401587&z=17.9&r=0&src=msl

Southend Spitfire
17-03-2010, 18:19
I'm sure that the former Ford hangar went to Duxford from Stansted when it was taken down.

Yes your right, i read it recently in a book about Stansted Airport.

airfields man
24-07-2010, 15:10
How about the two hangars at Andrews Field [Great Saling] that I mentioned under the memorial section. Both of these we were told were erected after the war after being moved from another airfield. Would be nice to know exactly where they came from.

Denis
24-07-2010, 15:24
Post deleted, Paul was talking about the two flying club Hangars and not the original T2's:oops:

*note to self, read before bloody posting!

Richard Flagg
17-11-2010, 18:28
Streetview of Hangar;
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=watton,+norfolk&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=20.6667,67.631836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Watton,+Thetford,+Norfolk,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.571036,0.828473&spn=0.001293,0.004128&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.571025,0.828181&panoid=76zcbEi9bUsiB43pIjElSg&cbp=12,33.3,,0,5

Paul Francis
17-11-2010, 18:57
Spelling of hangar corrected on 11 posts!

WJT
17-11-2010, 19:20
Marston Shed?

Paul Francis
17-11-2010, 20:05
Correct WJT, its not a hangar at all!

midnightbounty
03-12-2010, 22:19
hi,there seems to be a robin type hanger very near the old jcb site in uttoxeter right next to the road and roundabout as you come in to the town from the direction off stafford.or its a big shed that looks like one lol.its situated in a commercial premises.

Richard Flagg
03-12-2010, 22:47
Do you mean this one midnightbounty?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=uttoxeter&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=20.6667,67.631836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Uttoxeter,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.893959,-1.870444&spn=0.005133,0.016512&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.893999,-1.87021&panoid=o7uHitaCvhSBDl5fidkphw&cbp=12,329.48,,0,5.96

Jerry
06-12-2010, 14:57
There's what looks like a Blister Hangar in a farmyard immediately north of RAF Kings Cliffe, which I'm assuming didn't travel far... ;)

Live Maps link (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=52.578448~-0.475236&style=a&lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1)

All the best,
PB

It is indeed from across the road.

midnightbounty
13-12-2010, 20:51
Do you mean this one midnightbounty?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=uttoxeter&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=20.6667,67.631836&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Uttoxeter,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.893959,-1.870444&spn=0.005133,0.016512&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.893999,-1.87021&panoid=o7uHitaCvhSBDl5fidkphw&cbp=12,329.48,,0,5.96

yes thats the one,just thought id mention it.

midnightbounty
09-03-2011, 22:07
hi,on my travels today i came across an hanger which i think is a robin type,its located on the wern ind est at rogerstone,south wales.it has 2 nissan type huts next to it.ca,nt seem to see any other building that belongs to it.the site sits on the side of a valley which makes me think it probably was transplanted there i could b wrong.can anyone shead a light on it.i did take some photos on my iphone but i dont know how to upload them.

Carnaby
09-03-2011, 22:40
Midnightbounty, This (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=51.58962799056715&lon=-3.0546132229834164&gz=17&oz=9&gt=1) is the Wern Industrial Estate. No obvious hangar, but if you find it, then give the put the cursor on it and read off the grid coordinates at the bottom right, we'll have a closer look.

kebecker
09-03-2011, 23:41
hmmmmmmmmm

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wern+rogerstone&aq=&sll=52.906465,-3.073391&sspn=0.024175,0.054245&g=wern+uk&ie=UTF8&hq=wern+rogerstone&hnear=&radius=15000&ll=51.588336,-3.054821&spn=0,0.021694&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.588996,-3.054552&panoid=_HUrOqPJyEVVs4RaA8vQpg&cbp=12,306.05,,0,4.91

AG
10-03-2011, 00:00
The frame of a blister hangar reputedly from RAF Gt Sampford survives over the old railway line near Thaxted - coordinates 51.945274,0.332239. You can JUST make it out at 7 o'clock from the green arrow, if you look very very hard!

It must have moved there after 1953 when the railway line (which it straddles) was closed, but was skeletal by the time I remember it first, which would have been late 1970s. In fact, I cannot remember it ever having any trace of cladding, so it may well have never got further than the frame being re-erected.

Adrian

Carnaby
10-03-2011, 01:20
That Rogerstone shed looks very much like a Navy Pentad.

canberra
12-03-2011, 18:56
Could it have come from the former Navy storage site at Llangenach or however its spelt!

midnightbounty
14-03-2011, 21:31
Midnightbounty, This (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=51.58962799056715&lon=-3.0546132229834164&gz=17&oz=9&gt=1) is the Wern Industrial Estate. No obvious hangar, but if you find it, then give the put the cursor on it and read off the grid coordinates at the bottom right, we'll have a closer look.

the co ordinates are st 26973 51.589236,-3.055508 it looks like an hanger im no expert.i do have fotos on my iphone,shots from the front and back but i cant upload them cus i dont know how lol

Carnaby
14-03-2011, 23:33
Yes MNB that's the site found by Kebecker above. It does look like a Pentad, though I'm not convinced about the door panels.

Example in this thread: http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?4119-Hangar-Types&highlight=pentad

midnightbounty
15-03-2011, 20:49
Yes MNB that's the site found by Kebecker above. It does look like a Pentad, though I'm not convinced about the door panels.

Example in this thread: http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?4119-Hangar-Types&highlight=pentad

ive checked the example photo,it does look like one and yes the doors are different.it belonged to a welding company for a few years.ive been delivering to the bakery next door for ages and neva noticed it lol its all new to me.

Powers
18-03-2011, 00:55
Five Blister hangars from RAF Harrowbeer were purchased by Plymouth City Council after WWII. Four were re-erected in a local council depot whilst the other was installed on Plymouth Hoe to become the very popular Hoe Floral Cafe. The full story is at www.plymouthdata.info

Regards.....Paul

Powers
18-03-2011, 01:04
Re my above post - after entering the site click on A-Z Contents and scroll down to Hoe Cafe's and click again.

Regards....Paul

horrocks
02-04-2011, 14:03
I don't think anyone has mentioned the WW1 hangar (or half of it) from North Weald that was moved to nearby Moreton village in the 1920s to serve as a traction engine shed for the agricultural contractor Walter Matthews. The other half was used elsewhere in the area, but for the life of me I cannot remember where. The Moreton hangar is shown in the North Weald thread. I am afraid that its days are numbered. The site has been fenced off for some years awaiting development.

horrocks
02-04-2011, 14:06
And of course the Stansted T2 relocated to North Weald, also metioned in the NW thread. It has the high-tail cutout, and is just visible from the M11 as you pass. It does not have its original cladding. The ex-Willingale T2 is the one right beside, fully visible from, the M11.

Richard Drew
28-04-2011, 13:05
RAF Melbourne has seven Blister hangars of two different sizes on a site to the north of the airfield. Any ideas where so many came from????
http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=53.87720707787922&lon=-0.8421653509140015&gz=18&oz=8&gt=1
Richard
www.atlantikwall.co.uk (http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk)

David Thompson
28-04-2011, 14:52
Answered by smiler16 shortly after your post on the Melbourne thread !
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?6422-RAF-Melbourne/page3

Have just re-read your post Richard and note 'where from' rather than 'what for' ! The airfield site plan only shows 2 T2's and one B1 . There is an aerial photograph of the airfield in the managers office which might show something ?

Richard Drew
28-04-2011, 16:23
The office was closed when I arrived there so I could not see the picture or look at the control tower. But seven Blisters in one spot is the most I have ever seen together. It would be nice to know where they all came from. They were not used as hangars on bomber bases only used as a Free Gunnery trainer as at RAF Tholthorpe (http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlantikwall/yorkshire/thalthorpe01/html/page01.htm)4582 Some bomb storage sites (none airfield) used Blisters and there is still one at Longleat Park in Wiltshire. That one possibly Peter may be able to add light on what was stored at Longleat.

Richard
www.atlantikwall.co.uk (http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/)

PETERTHEEATER
29-04-2011, 08:13
Some bomb storage sites (none airfield) used Blisters and there is still one at Longleat Park in Wiltshire. That one possibly Peter may be able to add light on what was stored at Longleat.

There was a large military encampment at Longleat during WW2 but I have no knowledge of the site being used for any munitions storage.

Look at it in Google Earth 1945 view.

RonaldV
04-07-2011, 18:35
Do German hangars have a place here? If so, Cottbus hangar 6 was dismantled in 2003 or 2004 and transported to the Military Aircraft Museum in Virginia Beach USA, for restauration and reconstruction. They are still working on the project, which is still in the research (of its history and construction) phase. Once completed it will be used to park the Museums fleet of Luftwaffe aircraft.

PETERTHEEATER
25-08-2011, 08:53
This structure is reported on Pastscape as a Hurricane Hangar:

http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1519353&sort=4&search=all&criteria=hangar&rational=q&recordsperpage=10&p=3&move=n&nor=311&recfc=0

Located here:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.55147357736673&lon=-0.19854258182146328&gz=19&oz=8&gt=1

Can be seen in Street view. Was there a temporary airfield here? Was it a hangar?

WJT
25-08-2011, 08:59
RonaldV: You comment concerning the relocation of hangars in Germany is quite interesting. When the 'Clutch' stations were built for the RAF in the early 1950s it was reported that the main hangars were relocated from former Luftwaffe bases which were not to be redeveloped at that time.

For example, it was said that the main hangar at Bruggen was relocated from Lubeck. Anyone got any evidence of this?

canberra
25-08-2011, 19:02
Dont know about Bruggen, but allegedly one of Laarbruchs came from Oldenburg.

Bomber
25-08-2011, 20:57
If my information is correct the T2 at Elvington came from RAF Kemble in the Eighties to replace the original one which was loosing its cladding . I have slides of the original T2 hanger from the Seventies & it was in very poor condition . Can any one confirm this ?

Regards .
Alan,

Chris Lowe
25-08-2011, 22:21
One of Desborough's T2's came from Podington & another possibly from St Athan according 20th Century Defences in Britain.

Osgood
26-08-2011, 23:50
One of the North Weald T2s had a later side extension increasing the width by almost 1/2, using standard T2 sections with the upright slightly shortened to allow the extension frame to meet at the eaves of the standard frame. It was removed around 1990.

Osgood
27-08-2011, 00:06
You may be surprised how well travelled some of these T2s were, with many being moved more than twice!

The T2 next to the A11 at Barton Mills was moved from near Norwich around 1996. It was moved from somewhere to Snetterton around 1984 to be used as a grain store, but was never erected and went instead to a site near Norwich in 1987 as a swap with the T2 supplier for a previously purchased frame lying dismantled at Coventry which had been previously come from somewhere else.

NJR
02-09-2011, 09:36
Although questionable, and there's no photographic evidence (at the moment), there is a hangar which very closely resembles a Robin not very far from Abbots Bromley on a small industrial estate.

NJR can probably fix the location better then I can, as he was driving.

Also, there are a couple of WW1 sheds which were moved from Doncatser.

Don;t have the refrence4s to hand at the moment but again, NJR can fill in the details.

Sorry to be so scant on this.

Chris

The former RFC Doncaster hangars were relocated to Blaxton near Finningley. One is reclad and the other is in need of it. Couple of pictures taken 1st Sept 2011, don't know what type these are or when they were built.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/ryan7480_bucket/RAFDoncasterHangarsatBlaxton-1stSeptember20112.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/ryan7480_bucket/RAFDoncasterHangarsatBlaxton-1stSeptember20116.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/ryan7480_bucket/RAFDoncasterHangarsatBlaxton-1stSeptember20119.jpg

cbrjock
02-09-2011, 11:05
For example, it was said that the main hangar at Bruggen was relocated from Lubeck. Anyone got any evidence of this?

Bill, apparently hangar 1 came from Berchtesgaden. Source:Built To Endure

Richard Flagg
30-11-2011, 19:48
A T2 hangar at Risby, Bury St Edmunds (TL801653) off the A14 on the S side of the railway, close to & used by a large Claas agricultural machinery base, came from Westley airfield?

Photos taken today, 30 November 2011

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/SUFFOLK/Little%20Saxham/20111130LittleSaxham7-1.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/SUFFOLK/Little%20Saxham/20111130LittleSaxham1-1.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/SUFFOLK/Little%20Saxham/20111130LittleSaxham2-1.jpg

Daveg4otu
30-11-2011, 20:41
I am trying to locate the source of the Blister that was used by the Flying Club at Christchurch in the 50/60s.

I have been told by someone involved in the move/reassembly that it came from " an old wartime strip at Lymington circa 1956". Presumably this was either the Lymington/Pylewell House strip or the Needs Oar Point strip.

What it was not was one of the 3 original Christchurch Blisters.

Richard Flagg
16-02-2012, 14:38
Some buildings at Baltic Wharf, Essex that are reported to be T2 hangars, they certainly look like them.

GE view of the area
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ALL%20OTHER%20PHOTOS/AIRFIELD%20SATELLITE%20VIEWS/Baltic2.jpg

GE close up view
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ALL%20OTHER%20PHOTOS/AIRFIELD%20SATELLITE%20VIEWS/Baltic1.jpg

Area view
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ESSEX/Baltic%20Wharf/20120215BalticWharf7-1.jpg

Far hangar, showing Blister on the right
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ESSEX/Baltic%20Wharf/20120215BalticWharf10-1.jpg

The at the east of the site
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ESSEX/Baltic%20Wharf/20120215BalticWharf6-1.jpg

Close up view
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ESSEX/Baltic%20Wharf/20120215BalticWharf2-1.jpg

Another close up view
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ESSEX/Baltic%20Wharf/20120215BalticWharf1-1.jpg

StuW
16-02-2012, 15:20
Further to speculation on here two years ago: yes, the framework for the Queen's Hall in Watton did come from Griston, from the 3rd Strategic Air Depot's Griston base after the depot moved across from Watton. As far as I know, it was one of the buildings (hangar / shed / workshop, or whatever you want to call it) from the motor pool area, south of the Thompson Road in Griston.

myaix1943
17-02-2012, 11:10
As discussed with REF on site (or across site), the Baltic Wharf T2s almost certainly came from Boxted and Birch. They do not appear on 1961 large scale OS but do show up latermaps in the 1960s. On Thursday, 9 Jauary 1960 81 buildings at Boxted and Birch were auctioned off by Balls & Balls, auctioneers. Included in the auction were four T2s, a Blister hangar, three Seco buildings, four Romney huts, 46 Nissen type huts (some of considerable length), 21 brick buildings, electrical equipment, piping, building material, also nearly ten miles of underground cabling. I have the original auctioneers catalogue for the sale plus another auction catalogue for an auction of of 78 buildings at Great Saling (Andrews Field) and Ridgewell for Thursday, 24 July 1958. At this latter sale there were on offer... 39 Nissen huts, one blister hangar, 16 large Seco buildings, 22 brick buildings, compounds and other effects.

TJJ
17-02-2012, 14:13
Hangar 5 at North Weald, situated next to the only remaining pre-war hangar and currently occupied by Kings Transport, came from the Gloster factory at Brockworth and was erected by Aces High. The stored, unbuilt T2 which was in the grass area next to Hangar 4 (Kennet) was scrapped at the end of last year. It was badly corroded.

midnightbounty
19-03-2012, 23:01
during my journey i was travelling on the a49 from whitchurch towards shrewsbury and just before you get to a village called hadnall there is a robin type hanger on your left its covered in ivy.it sits on its own in a field near the road which made me think it might be a relocated hangar.any ideas

PETERTHEEATER
20-03-2012, 05:15
I have taken a virtual tour (Street View) but can't locate it. Can you be specific with the location?

I used to drive the A49 frequently in the 60's and it hasn't changed a lot.

EDIT: OK, found it. It's actually at Preston Brockhurst just south of the former Bridelway Gate RLG and just NW of RAF Shawbury:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=preston+brockhurst&hl=en&ll=52.816353,-2.686892&spn=0.002451,0.004823&sll=52.786076,-2.70534&sspn=0.009863,0.01929&t=h&hnear=Preston+Brockhurst,+Shropshire,+United+Kingd om&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.816353,-2.686892&panoid=PLsUGZWbBRdAqhOXiFGvzA&cbp=12,178.06,,1,2.53

Carnaby
20-03-2012, 14:54
... it might be a relocated hangar.any ideas
No - it's actually the most northerly of 27MU's dispersed hangars, (Shown on map in Aldon Ferguson's History of RAF Shawbury).

One of the most southerly is also extant HERE (http://g.co/maps/2nevg).

Richard Flagg
20-03-2012, 18:28
27 MU dispersed Robins Hangar at Preston Brochurst in April 2010

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/SHROPSHIRE/Shawbury/20100414Shawbury67-1.jpg

midnightbounty
30-03-2012, 22:49
hi, ive found another robin hanger i think.its just by gailey island near penkridge staffordshire where the a5 crosses the a449 in a highway maintanence yard.u come off the m6 at j12 then head west away from cannock on the a5,just b4 u get to the next roundabout for the a449,look to the left u will see a police station then next to that is the yard and hanger sitting to the rear.u can see it on google maps and street view just type in gailey gridge rd then scroll away from m6.could this b from the raf station at penkridge?didnt know how to get proper coordinates.

midnightbounty
30-03-2012, 22:50
hi, ive found another robin hanger i think.its just by gailey island near penkridge staffordshire where the a5 crosses the a449 in a highway maintanence yard.u come off the m6 at j12 then head west away from cannock on the a5,just b4 u get to the next roundabout for the a449,look to the left u will see a police station then next to that is the yard and hanger sitting to the rear.u can see it on google maps and street view just type in gailey gridge rd then scroll away from m6.could this b from the raf station at penkridge?didnt know how to get proper coordinates.

gailey bridge rd

PETERTHEEATER
31-03-2012, 04:31
'Where's the Path' is a convenient tool for showing the location of objects: http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Find the object and centre it in the window (zoom in as required) then look in the top right-hand corner for the 'chain link'. Click on this and a window with the location link appears. Copy the link and Paste into your reply.

Or you could use 'FlashEarth'

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=52.69177523688168&lon=-2.1287673711776733&gz=19&oz=7&gt=1

The hangar looks to be not wide enough for a Super Robin. Perhaps others can confirm its identity. The Robin Type B as shown in a post above was smaller but had canted sides.

Carnaby
31-03-2012, 11:43
The hangar looks to be not wide enough for a Super Robin. Perhaps others can confirm its identity. The Robin Type B as shown in a post above was smaller but had canted sides.
That's what I thought, but the door runners look right. Streetview (http://g.co/maps/vbsr4)

Dave Smith
07-05-2012, 15:29
A friend of mine recently photographed what appear to be a couple of blister hangars beside the railway line just south-east of Hazel Grove Station in Cheshire. It was taken hurriedly through a dirty carriage window on a dull day so the quality is pretty bad. The area is only about two miles from Woodford so there may be a connection. Looking on StreetView, only the roofs are visible from the road which is perhaps why former local resident, the much-missed Barry Abraham, never reported them. One of the buildings close to the road has the look of shadow factory architecture and across the road is a large cleared area with concrete bases. A dispersed site for Woodford perhaps?

P Bellamy
07-05-2012, 19:17
From the Wikipedia page of Hazel Grove, so make of it what you will...

NXP (Formerly Philips, Mullard) have a Semiconductor manufacturing plant (wafer Fab) located in Hazel Grove off Bramhall Moor Lane. The site has been there for over 25 years and currently employs in the region of 650 people. Prior to that the site was at School Street, which has an interesting history. Before 1939 the site beside the Marcliff (later Warwick) cinema at the S. end of the village had a garage and petrol station (opposite Jack Sharp's greyhound track), which was converted at the outbreak of war into an aircraft factory, occupying the entire triangle between Macclesfield Road and the two railway lines. This seemed also to have been extended behind the Norbury Church, in School St. At the end of the war prefabs were built. Then, the Macclesfield Road site was taken over for pharmaceuticals by British Schering. Eventually G.E.C. started a transistor factory at the School St. address.
[Note - this extension to the article is incomplete but what I do write is accurate to the best of my belief. Please complete it if you can, someone. P.W.]

All the best,
PB

Dave Smith
14-05-2012, 16:45
Paul, belated thanks for the link. I'd forgotten I posted this and of course AIX is so popular that things disappear rapidly below the horizon. I never thought to look on Wiki! I will try to find out more about this site.

raptor309
26-02-2013, 06:56
There is a T2 in what was the old goods yard at Great Yeldham Station in Essex. One of the guys at Ridgewell Museum believes it 'may' have come from RAF Biggin Hill.
Hope this helps.
Robert

PETERTHEEATER
26-02-2013, 07:44
It looks like a T2 doors and all from ground level. There is another building abutting it which confuses identification from above.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=great+yeldham+uk&hl=en&ll=52.011327,0.563074&spn=0.002717,0.004823&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=56.506174,79.013672&t=h&hnear=Great+Yeldham,+Essex,+United+Kingdom&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.011327,0.563074&panoid=1AhfARnjKie8AdQKLdzSuA&cbp=12,356.33,,1,3.25

raptor309
26-02-2013, 11:30
Good old Google Streetview. It never ceases to amazr me what information you can get on t'internet now. I have a couple of close up views of the hangar which i will attempt to post once REF has helped me to master posting pics! lol
Rob

horrocks
26-02-2013, 12:56
Seems extraordinary that it might have come all that way (from Biggin Hill) given the vast numbers of T2s that were taken down in the 50s and 60s in East Anglia, and indeed Essex alone.

PETERTHEEATER
27-02-2013, 14:15
From the records that I have seen Biggin Hill did not have any T type hangars.

Carnaby
27-02-2013, 17:30
From the records that I have seen Biggin Hill did not have any T type hangars.

Very strange !
SD310 (1942) doesn't have an entry for Biggin ?
SD310 (1944)states 2 Bessonneau 12 Blisters and 1 'F'.
whereas SD722 (1955) states four T2s (240 by 114) only.

What happened here?

Peter Kirk
27-02-2013, 20:54
When Biggin Hill was "remodelled" in August 1940 all the hangars, bar 1, were destroyed. The remaing one was taken down (blown up?) under the orders of the station commander. It was hoped the Luftwaffe would stop bombing the airfield if it had no hangars.

I would have thought that blister would have been installed by 1942 but then again the survey may have been filled in the previous year?

The T types were all post war.

PETERTHEEATER
28-02-2013, 14:24
That confirms my memory of a visit there in 1964 with RAF BD from Debden for B of B. Our exhibits were housed in a large metal hangar that was the same as one at Gaydon where I had done a tour. But, looking at the 'records' there were none listed but you and Carnaby have explained the post-war replacements.

I decided that memory must be flawed and trusted the records that I had to hand.

bvs
28-02-2013, 20:53
I have had a look through the thread and cannot find mention of this particular Blister at Ringwood.

I have not visited for a few years and do not have any decent pics but remember being able to see a fair bit of the original structure during our visit...

Liberty's Owl and Raptor centre,Ringwood

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEgQjBAwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.libertyscentre.co.uk%2Ffacili ties.htm&ei=RLUvUYL0DZCY1AWam4GoDQ&usg=AFQjCNEj5qmW9xbWQP-RE5613HeFM40Kjw&sig2=3iAY9_KxnLGgzIWgawPpSA&bvm=bv.43148975,d.d2k

The hangar came from a local Airfield or ALG

bvs
28-02-2013, 21:00
Aha...it is from Bisterne...
I thought i had posted on here about it but it was on key...A couple of my pics on this link...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.keypublishing.com%2Fshowthr ead.php%3Ft%3D80718&ei=n7YvUYqrDu2Y0QWvroHICA&usg=AFQjCNGyE9D9Fa07F1jt7IchAYKOTVKQSQ&sig2=C2V08JGzCj_lp3wuoIPkAA&bvm=bv.43148975,d.d2k

doug
28-02-2014, 20:45
There is a first world war hangar in the remains of the Dreamland Amusement park at Margate Kent. It was re-clad a few years ago. Some say it was a cancelled American order.
Or that it was brought by the Park developers when the nearby Royal Naval Air Station at Westgate was sold of in the 1920s.

Peter Kirk
28-02-2014, 21:06
Is the wooden roller coaster still intact (it was supposed to be preserved) and can you still get on the car park roof to photograph the hangars?

95i
04-06-2014, 19:39
The main hangar on RAF Laarbruch was built in 1954.
It was called the "Bremen hangar" originally built inthe mid-30s (Krupp).

Does anyone know where exactly it came from?

Another hangar was called "Hamburg hangar", Built in 1954 as well, used by the MTSS.

canberra
22-06-2014, 11:08
I was taught that the first hangar was from the German airfield at Oldenburg.