PDA

View Full Version : WWI 'Y' station at Stockton.



Carnaby
31-10-2011, 12:16
From Fortress magazine, Issue 8, Feb 1991.

The booklet featured an article on the Stockton on Tees 'Y' station, by Ernie Sockett. In 1916 Boldon house was the location, surrounded by open fields. The house is still extant in the middle of a modern housing estate. The smaller building on the site was the powerhouse and battery room. Operated by the Royal Navy it was located in an ideal position for monitoring messages from North Sea Zeppelins, and 'German Ocean' U-boats.

WTP Location (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm?lat=54.57243076387333&lon=-1.3505257908845496&gz=20&oz=9&gt=1) Bing 3D view (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=t2vw8ngwmq1f&lvl=20&dir=90&sty=b&form=LMLTCC)

Other Y and Z (D/F) stations mentioned as being operational at the end of WWI were Aberdeen, Bunberg (NI), Culver (IoW), Horsea, Inchkeith, Ipswich, Pembroke, Portland Bill, Plymouth, Rosyth, Sheerness. A total of 32 had been in use.