PDA

View Full Version : Leckhampton hill (cheltenham) radar installation

ricasso
31-07-2011, 18:08
Bit of a long shot but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the radar installation on top of Leckhampton Hill in Cheltenham, so far as I know it was put in place during the war and was linked to the Royal Radar Establishment located at Malvern.

Ive located the base of the installation (a grass mound about 10 feet square) so obviously it wasnt very big! but standing on the mound there is a good line of sight to Malvern, about 10/15 miles away, but im afraid thats about all I know.

OneEighthBit
01-08-2011, 08:33
I can't recall any aerials on top of Leckhampton hill itself but there are some aerials at the back of Ullenwood which is has been active since WWII.

"WWII military camp and hospital at Ullenwood. From 28 September, 1943 to 20 January, 1944, a group of doctors and nurses from the 32nd General Hospital based at Fairford (Detachment A) operated a station hospital at Ullenwood, Gloucestershire under the command of Lt. Col. Clark.!

"The Anti-Aircraft Operations room at Ullenwood lies about 2km south of Cheltenham on the southern side of a minor road, Greenway Lane. It was constructed about 1951 as the control centre for the Brockworth anti-aircraft zone. Its life was, however relatively short-lived and it was moth-balled about 1954. Its subsequent history is unknown but in the early 1970's it was reactivated as a Sub-Regional Headquarters. An emergency centre of government maintained by the Home Office. The bunker is a standard semi-sunken Anti-Aircraft Operations Room. It is surrounded on its northern side by an encampment of Ministry of Supply prefabricated hutting, corrugated-iron dormitory huts and ablution blocks of temporary brick construction. It is uncertain whether this is wartime in date or from the early 1950's, or if was subsequently used by the local Civil Defence services. Although the area is heavily overgrown bunk-beds were visible in a number of the huts. To the south of the bunker is a large corrugated-iron store shed. The bunker and prefabricated buildings are used as a Training Unit by Gloucestershire County Council Fire and Rescue Service."

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/u/ullenwood/

ricasso
01-08-2011, 09:58
The last I heard was that the chap who bought the ullenwood bunker site was planning to restore it with a view to opening to the public, as for the Leckhampton site it was right on top of the escarpment near the trig point near the Devils Chimney,there is an old ashfelt path that leads to it, in fact its within the old iron age settlement area, I recall seeing a photo of it somewhere on the internet though try as I might I cant relocate it! from memory it was a cylindrical or cigar shaped construction stood on end.

canberra
01-08-2011, 17:39
It may have had something to do with TRE, but wasnt TRE actually at Defford in wwii and Malvern college used for offices etc?

And thinking out loud isnt Smiths industries based in Cheltenham? So it may be something to do with them?

ricasso
01-08-2011, 18:18
The information I have states that Leckhampton hill was a satellite radar station with direct links to Malvern, I believe Defford was used by the TFU, (Telecomunications Flying Unit) so they may also have had links with Malvern.
Yes, your right about Smiths, although its now been taken over by GE, so that another possibility, and of course not forgetting the fledgling GCHQ that moved into the other side of Cheltenham just after the war, all in all quite an interesting area when it comes to technology and R&D!

tjenner
01-04-2013, 21:22
Bit of a long shot but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the radar installation on top of Leckhampton Hill in Cheltenham, so far as I know it was put in place during the war and was linked to the Royal Radar Establishment located at Malvern.

Ive located the base of the installation (a grass mound about 10 feet square) so obviously it wasnt very big! but standing on the mound there is a good line of sight to Malvern, about 10/15 miles away, but im afraid thats about all I know.

As a child I spent many hours in the building with Mr Scott and Mr Bliss and the large Alsation Dog listening to the radio messages coming in to the building and turning the wheel in the middle of the operating room. I think it was a listening post linked with Malvern and GCHQ to listen possible incoming signals linked to the Cold War. Listened to one possible incoming aircraft when turning the wheel

Tim J