PDA

View Full Version : Okehampton

Daveg4otu
23-08-2008, 21:31
Searching for any info (exact location,alignment , use etc )of the three airfield sites around Okehampton ....

Folly Gate ( approx N50.4519/W04.0107) civil prewar use, RAF WW2..Grass field>

Okehampton Camp ..informal use of strip to N of camp by liason a/c in WW2 (ie: Cub etc)

Okehampton Camp ...."formal" strip to E of camp at Halstock Down .

If this appears twice - my apologies - the first attempt seems to have disappeared down some black hole! :(

MTIA

PETERTHEEATER
24-08-2008, 07:59
Although not my line, I found a note in my records which indicate Folly Gate opened in 1928 and was used by the RAF 57 MSU during WW2.

N50 45 W 04 01 but I'm not sure where I took that from.

The Oakhampton strips? Sorry, I can't help.

Peter H

Paul Francis
24-08-2008, 08:34
I have a plan somewhere of one of the WW2 Okehampton Camp strips showing one or two runways marked out but its buried somewhere amongst my junk and I have not seen it for several years - I think it was as proposed - not necessary what was built . I went there a few years back, there is nothing much to see, although the target railway is really interesting. I also have a Folly Gate plan, a copy of which I donated to the Okehampton Museum.

Daveg4otu
24-08-2008, 09:31
Thans to you both....

About the target Railways there are some good picture in the PDF at the link below - lot of other info too- but nothing about the airstrips

http://www.dartmoor-ranges.co.uk/Downlo ... n_Camp.pdf (http://www.dartmoor-ranges.co.uk/Downloads/Conservation/Okehampton_Camp.pdf)

Paul Francis
24-08-2008, 10:09
The link is to a report I did on Okehampton Camp. I have just read through my notes on Okehampton Range and it is the landing strip at Halstock Down that has a plan in the file WO 78/4935 at the TNA. I thought I had a copy but I may not after all, but if you go to the TNA you can get one. The airfield was used for find-and-report exercises while on cross-country flights, the trainee observer having a compass and a map to report 'enemy' positions to hidden checkers.

Daveg4otu
24-08-2008, 20:19
Sorry but......- TNA is what?

Will pay a visit to the Okehampton Museum sometime - not too far from me - to see if I can view the Folly Gate plan.

Paul Francis
24-08-2008, 21:18
The National Archives, Kew

Daveg4otu
24-08-2008, 21:33
Thanks - thought it may be something like that.

Bermygreen
25-10-2012, 16:53
Hi all - my first ever post :)

My dad was the PSA officer for Okehampton between 1972 and 1980ish, so I have some good childhood memories of the place. Particularly desolate, the assault course outside his office was always fun when no-one was looking.