PDA

View Full Version : RAF Flying Training & Support Units - Ray Sturtivant, John Hamlin & James J Halley

Carnaby
09-12-2010, 11:58
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Flyer719/ALL%20OTHER%20PHOTOS/Airfield%20Books%20Reviews/raft.jpg

Royal Air Force Flying Training and Support Units (Since 1912) by Ray Sturtivant, John Hamlin and James J Halley

This A4 hardback extremely valuable book is probably well known to may AiX members. Re the two editions:
First edition, 1997: Ray Sturtivant, John Hamlin, Jim Halley.

Second edition, 2007: Ray Sturtivant with John Hamlin. (adds 'Since 1912' to the title)
Hardback: 336 pages
Publisher: Air Britain Historians Ltd
Language: English
ISBN-10: 085130365X
ISBN-13: 978-0851303659
The latter is described as:

Air-Britain's long out-of-print Royal Air Force Flying Training and Support Units is generally regarded as an impressive reference source. Now its successor, RAF Flying Training & Support Units Since 1912, hugely expands and revises its coverage. It contains additions from the late Barry Abraham

The first edition is currently on ebay at 135, second is available from Air Britain 37.50 (27 to AB members) as in above post.

My query is - the first edition has 368 pages, the second 336. So the updated revised edition has lost almost 9% of its pages. Just wondered what has happened here. Does anyone have both volumes. I'm sure there is a very good reason, but curious.

Graham

PNK
09-12-2010, 13:32
The new version i supposed to have a lot of new information so I would guess it was a layout change to make better use of space.

Dave Smith
09-12-2010, 13:35
I have had both volumes but gave away the first to a good friend. The reason for the page discrepancy, Graham, is given in the foreword. Despite over 2,000 amendments and more than 2000 entirely new entries, "better use of the space has kept the overall size within reasonable bounds". So there is certainly no loss of info in this indispensable volume. It's not cheap, unless you are an A-B member, but I would deem it an essential reference for any serious researcher on this forum.

PJH
09-12-2010, 18:38
I still retain both versions. Whilst the newer issue has more info, the print size is smaller, hence fewer pages. From that perspective the older version is easier to read but is sightly less complete. Another difference is that the older version is on thicker but lower quality paper compared to the latest. Given the choice I'd go for the latest: it's better quality, more complete and cheaper - you just need better reading glasses :grin:

Dave Smith
09-12-2010, 20:04
A cruel comment Paul!! I like the site, though, especially the Douglas Skyknight - I remember the Frog kit.

PJH sums up the differences admirably!

OneEighthBit
10-12-2010, 08:51
Can I just ask a quick question about what sort of content this book has?

I'm always interested in Glider Training schools which came under 23Grp at South Cerney. Does the book touch any on the glider units or requirements for airfields for FTC?

PJH
10-12-2010, 15:51
Can I just ask a quick question about what sort of content this book has?

I'm always interested in Glider Training schools which came under 23Grp at South Cerney. Does the book touch any on the glider units or requirements for airfields for FTC?

All the Gliding Schools, Glider Training Schools etc are in there, along with many far more obscure units. A true goldmine of information and absolutely indispensable for me.

Carnaby
10-12-2010, 17:53
Re: Can I just ask a quick question about what sort of content this book has and A true goldmine of information and absolutely indispensable for me.

Just had a quick browse of the earlier volume and apart from details of 'obvious' units i.e. MUs,Training Schools, Commands, Groups, Wings etc etc. It contains a vast amount of information on things I'd never heard of. For example:
Air Fighting Demonstration Squadron
Air Force Department Service School
Air Gun-Laying Turret Training Unit
Bomber Command Film Flight Unit
Camouflage Flight
Dakota Modification Centre
Engine Consumption Unit No.1
Fleet School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery
Glider Pick-Up Training Flight
Highball Trials Flight
Instant Readiness Reserve Unit
Joint Helicopter Development Unit
King's Flight
Light Aircraft School
Midlands Home Defence Wing
The bases for the above are: Baginton, Bardney, Binbrook, Doncaster, East Fortune, Fowlmere, Fulbeck, Hendon, Manston, Middle Wallop, Old Sarum, Spilsby, Weybridge, Zeals (but not in that order !)

Graham