Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Airfield Lighting - Part 1

Default Re: Airfield Lighting

Found on the main runway at RAF Chilbolton any idea what type of lamp holder it could be please.main06.JPG

As it's circular and on the runway, most likely a C5 800yd crossbar light.
    Had it been on the peritrack it would be a T1 taxiway light.

All the best,
    PB

Those items are: Plinth, concrete. Dwg No. M&E 16256/41, and measure 12 in square x 5.25 in deep.

Not a lot of people know that.

Thank you Paul I have added a link to RAF Chilbolton. http://www.atlantikwall.co.uk/atlant...tml/page06.htm

Richard

WoW Carnaby I bet they don't!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
    All 'A Centres' are at the base of the tower and that is where all the cables from the VCR lighting desk terminated into the 'A Centre' MCS rack.

The 'A Centre' MCS is connected by the airfield ring cable into the 'B Centre' MCS. There are usually two 'B Centres' per runway. The usual location is 500ft or so from the threshold, to the side. The 'B Centre' is where you'll find CCRs, where airfield lighting is terminated and powered from. Also threshold traffic lights and other services get their power from there, such as RHAGs and NET barriers, or even a glidepath or localiser if not powered from a substation feeder pillar.

Typical B Centre MCS rack, with D22 to the left that controls taxiway lights and often a provision for traffic light black out.

A tiny 'B Centre' with CCRs and the smaller units are TMS-E's used for taxiways. Note one with a unit on top as I were working on it at the time.

Another shot of the 'B Centre' MCS, also top right is a D20 which replaced the D9's. Far left, MCS battery charger and batteries to the right.

A larger 'B Centre' with CCRs. In the background are the cable termination panels with a digital current read out.

Hello, I'm new on here.
    I stumbled across this forum whilst trying to find out some information about some projects I worked on back in the mid-eighties when I was serving my time.

We used to build the D20 and D22 Contactor units, and I always wondered where they ended up. There is a company still building them, ATG Airport (?) I don't know if they took the work from my old company when they closed, or they won the contract and thats why the company closed, who knows.
    We used to do a lot of work for the DOE/PSA, and I used to enjoy a trip to the Burtonwood Stores to drop equipment off.

Happy days!

Due to a fair bit of heavy farm traffic recently on the old runway at 'you know where' This large bore steel conduit has broken through the concrete at the eastern end of the main and just a few feet away from where the threshhold was. Copper wire visible and quite large stuff too
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi All

I don't know if you guys remember when on the 15-04-2011, when Ref added a Photo of a Modern taxiway light at Middle Wallop, unknown type. Taken 2 March 2011 (however the link to photo doesn't work no more) anyway.

I won this one on E-bay which is the same Light

Thorn EL-EAM Low Intensity Omni-directional Elevated Taxiway Edge, Apron or Turning Circle Light with Blue Glass filter for a 6.6 amp 45 watt PK30d Halogen Airfield Lamp.

when I get chance and a lampholder I am going to convert this to operate on 240 volts

Also another Airfield Light I bought via E-bay is a brand new Thorn F22 Twin Lamp Obstruction Light

Thorn F22 Twin Lamp Obstruction Light with Changeover Ciricuit & Remote Monitoring

Thorn F22 Twin Lamp Obstruction Light with Main Lamp Lit

Thorn F22 Twin Lamp Obstruction Light with Standby Lamp Lit

This Light has a Lamp changeover Relay unit which operated s whe nthe main lamp fails, which then switches on the Secondary or Standby Lamp, this Light also has a Remote monitoring feature which allows the Light to be connected to a remote mimic panel to inform the Control Tower/ Electricians that the main Lamp has Failed, also included are 2 x 55watt Krypton Filament lamps which have a life of 8000 Hours each, so when in service the lamp will last about 2 years before failures (4 Years in total if both lamps are used)

If interested the Seller on E-bay has 4 more of these at 120 each plus Postage see HERE

All the Best

Colin
    Last edited by sailormoon_01_uk; 08-11-2011 at 20:08.

I wonder why in the USA Globally they sell Low/Medium Intensity Airport Lights with Incandescent Lamps where in the UK they are High Intensity Lights, also what is interesting on Small Airports they seem to mount the Lights on poles almost 3 feet high, which could be damaged by Aircraft Strike, anyway I have bought one off the US E-bay and it came with the Long Pole

This Light has a Dual Red Clear Lens the Red Side is to warn Pilots that they are approaching the End of the Runway the Clear is used as a standard Runway light for the Opposite Direction, as you can see it is mounted on one log pole
    Last edited by sailormoon_01_uk; 03-12-2011 at 22:22.

one possible reason for the extended pole could be snow clearance, just a thought.

just had a look at this from Boston earlier this year

they are using marker poles to alert the snow ploughs to the lights location
    Last edited by kebecker; 04-12-2011 at 23:20. Reason: another thought!

Makes Sense, I think it's common for Runway and Taxiway Lights to me mounted on long stems/poles see photos

All the Best

Colin

US Runway Threshold/End Light

US Taxiway Edge Light

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940 LastLast

Thread Information