Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chelveston

SuperMod

Default Re: Chelveston

Mark: Excelent pics yet again. Are they Phantom slipper tanks in the crates inside the J hangar - Sargent Fletchers?

Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Mark: Excelent pics yet again. Are they Phantom slipper tanks in the crates inside the J hangar - Sargent Fletchers?
    Thank you. They could be, they were wing tanks for the RF-4s. One of our jobs as bomb loaders at Alconbury was to check on the war reserve material spread about the country. The Chelveston J-Style held several reserve wing tanks. I was told as a young airman if a war kicked off the Wash would become a pickle barrel due to the amount of F-4 tanks to be jettisoned there. I assumed this meant they would use that much external fuel taking off in full AB, popping the tanks over the wash, then using internal fuel throughout the mission. Then again it could have all been war stories.

SuperMod

Mark: Not such a strange idea. I remember watching some Bentwaters F-4Ds on Wainfleet range, must have been very early 70s, when one of them dropped his centre-line fuel tank rather than the intended practice bomb. Some weeks later I wombled out to the target and the tank had been dragged up to the side of the ship target - I have a photo somewhere.

http://www.chelveston-renewable-ener...eAirfield.aspx

Sorry for the massive link, not sure how to post url?

Its amazing looking at the aerial photos from recently compared to how it looked before they duc it up. Reminds me a bit of HoSM.

I hope it doesnt happen at Elvington any time soon.
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 11-12-2013 at 19:50.

Unless I've missed it elsewhere (very likely) a small bit of news from the Parish magazine (Aug/Sept '09, p.1), Chelveston-cum-Caldecott, regarding the sale of ex-MoD buildings on the former airfield site.

http://www.chelveston.org.uk/news/2009/NL09AugSep.pdf

Chris

Visited with Becky yesterday, walked the runway, not all 6000ft but enough to figure out a revisit is on the cards. After seeing a couple of the dispersed sites I was wondering if the bomb stores are accessable?

Did notice the newish housing is completed deserted, it begs the question why, they look better than some areas of Peterborough.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

This group of buildings is located behind (to the north) of the former bomb store.

At first sight, this appears to be a group of 4 Nissen huts situated within the bomb store area but closer inspection suggests that they are storage tanks with separating walls.

They appear on an aerial photograph dated ' end of the war' yet have no visible access road or pathways on the photograph or now.

Any ideas?

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.31....1&r=0&src=msl

SuperMod

They are Nissen huts separated by low walls. Got some photos of them somewhere taken two or three years ago when the place was open for viewing prior to sale. Will try and look them out. Seem to remember that there was a nameboard on one of the doors but cannot remember what it said (old age!).

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Wow. That was quick (the response)!

They may have been part of the bomb store. On closer examination of the late WW2 image there is evidence of a roadway and that is visible on satellite imagery but the stores are not traversed with earth banks so may have been used for non-explosive items. It would be useful to know if the dividing walls are a later addition.

Hello forum
    I decided to join the website, specifically on the Station 105 Chelveston connection.

Anyhow, greetings one and all...

I'm the UK Contact for the 305th Bomb Group Memorial Association, who's B-17's operated from Chelveston from December 1942 till summer of 1945; they then moved out to peacetime duties, CASEY JONES, over in Belgium and finally Germany.

Anyway. I wanted to commend the postings on photos and discussions generally on our base, thanks.

However I did notice a few remarks on visits and I'm assuming potential revisits to Chelveston? Can I please ask for the future, that any incursions into what is now private property be refrained upon, however good intentioned and innocent they appear. As the UK rep for the 305th I am constantly having to bat off awkward questions from the land owners, after he or his employees discover people wandering about. Currently there are politics on going between the local Parish Council and the new owners, due to applications on the windfarm developement etc. Its tricky enough with all that going on. As 305th contact I have to try and maintain good relations with everyone, but especially the new land owners of Chelveston field. I'd like to keep that friendliness on an honest footing, and protect his willingness to give our veterans, and their families, freedom and permission to make visits when they ask. My concerns, which have been born out several times in recent years, is the good relations and willingness to co-operate with our association in respect of such veteran/family visits, will be withdrawn because of the actions of what I have to think are a small minority.

I'd much appreciate, as would our membership, the help in safeguarding the future in this respect.

Finally, I noted Paul Bellamy kindly added a link from AAF, a posting I made concerning the Bomb Dump area, towards the Shelton end of the field. The blast walls between the four Nissan huts are vintage WW2, as built by the AM before the field was full occupied by the USAAF. The huts were used for arming Incendiary weapons, also to handle the fuses.

IW
    305th BGMA UK Contact

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information