Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawkinge

Lee: It seems that theft from these small collections and museums happens. NJR and myself were at the memorial rooms at Elsham Wolds last year and they have suffered the same thing. Sickening really when you consider what they represent and what the curators/owners are trying to preserve the memory of.

PNK: Cracking photos and has certainly strted an interesting discussion.

Chris

I visited the museum back in 2000, and it was sad to see the museum virtually surrounded on all sides by the slowly advancing housing developement.
    By the time I flew over the site a couple of years back, the housing had all but swallowed up the airfield leaving the small museum site and the 3 defiant Hurricanes left as a reminder of the past.

Default Hawkinge now

I visited the site a little while ago and found that most of the grass airfield has disappeared under housing.The parts remaining is where the museum is
    incorpoarting the watch office and armoury and the fuel store and hanger bases to west of the museum.The gym can still seen at the side of the road.The area where the barrack blocks and guard house were is now housing.

If you go to the museum you are not allowed to take any pics.they even ask you to leave you mobile at the desk.

Balders

Default Re: Hawkinge 1980

Sad that it has nearly all gone. I might go back but it won't be the same. It was so easy to walk around as well, almost like a public park.
    Anyway I have just found another photo in my slide collection of the watch office boarded up. I thought it had gone at the time but norwichpaul's photo was dated the same year that I went so I had to check. Now I know who pulled all the cladding off
    The photo was taken from Gibraltar Lane near the "E" pens.

It didn't record the month but the trees do have leaves on.

Of course I could be wrong and the boarded building is not the old watch office!

Peter

PNK...Forgot to ask...Do you or any of the guys know if the pillbox you mentioned is still at Hawkinge. Its the AA pillbox you see in the BoB film...You mentioned it was there in 1980? I assume its gone...but does anyone know otherwise?

I can't remember when I last saw it but it was almost completely covered with stuff that has leaves so it may be invisible or gone.

Peter

Anyone have any idea what this nose is doing at Hawkinge c.1983?

I don't recall it in 1982. Then again I don't recall that building.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

It appears to be the cockpit section of a DC-3 or, more likely, a C-47 (Dakota)

Default Re: RAF Hawkinge - MERGED

What wonderful photos you chaps have, as a newbie here I keep having to shove my jaw back up!

Does anyone have any info on the no.5 & no.6 hangars please? These were on the Canterbury road side of the airfield. No 6 was demolished before the war and no.5 on destroyed the 12th August (or was it 15th?). There are tantalising views in the Roy Humphries and BoB then & now books but nothing to get to grips with for a model. It looks similar to the Handley Page sheds that were at Tangmere and Kenley.

thanks,

Clive

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information