Thread: RAF Stafford - Unusual Memorial

Default RAF Stafford - Unusual Memorial

This Memorial is to a Gate Guard, what happened to the Javelin?

Default Re: RAF Stafford - Unusual Memorial

REF, have a look at post #30 on this Key Publishing thread for a photo of XA801 in happier times at RAF Stafford. Air Britain also have a photo of '801 in service with 46 Sqn at Waterbeach.

I've had a dig around and so far can't find where it scrapped. Ideas anyone?

Chris

One of the posts on the Key thread suggests that XA801 was broken up by bulldozers, presumably on site. There is a link to another website which should have pics but this did not work for me.

However, were there not two Javelins at Stafford, one at the Main Gate and the second in front of the former barrack block which housed the RAF Youth Selection Centre? I was sent there in 1967 to blag a Halton Apprenticeship, and I remember looking out of the window of my room in the barrack block to see the aircraft right outside. I think this aircraft went somewhere else when the YSC closed (Leeming perhaps?). Don't have my old copies of Wrecks & Relics to hand to confirm details.

Mandator - like a pillock I only did a page search for XA801 and headed straight for it. I will write 100 times

"I must read the question properly"

Chris

I was at Stafford in 1973 and there was an aircraft outside the barrack blocks but not sure whether it was a Javelin or not!

Thread Information