Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Scampton

Default Scampton

What is to become of Scampton? There are a few rumors going around that the Reds are to move and the base close.

As of 2008, this was the news released by BBC Radio Lincolnshire: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/linc ... 323640.stm

Quite what the official line is, we'll have to wait and see I suppose

Chris

It is certainly looking a bit uncertain for Scampton

the Market Rasen Mail newspaper reported that :

Ministry of Defence minister Bob Ainsworth has confirmed that a study is underway which will make recommendations on operational effectiveness and value for money.

West Lindsey District Council wrote to the Ministry in February to seek clarification on speculation the Reds might be moved away from Scampton or even disbanded altogether.

Chief Executive Duncan Sharkey said: "In our letter we stressed the important role that the Red Arrows in particular play in the development of tourism in West Lindsey. They provide direct and indirect jobs that are very important to this district and are held in very high esteem by local people."

Mr Ainsworth said a decision had already been taken to move the Air Combat Service Support Unit from Scampton to at RAF Leeming because of the cost of upgrading the local base and this has called into question the long term future of RAF Scampton.

He said, "A decision on the future of RAF Scampton is expected later in the year."

My view is that Scampton's days are numbered, certainly as a flying station.

The buildings and airfield need considerable investment, and I believe many are listed, meaning the renovation effectively becomes a restoration, very costly.

The Red Arrows are another subject, their airframes are running out of time and I would think that a replacement is required.

Ah, the scampton rumours rumble on

As an operational airfield, scampton could be done away with.
    The Reds could move to another airfield, & would probably do what they did when they were based at Cranwell.
    Take off, fly to Scampton, practise, & then fly back to Cranwell

What we have to consider here is the historical value of Scampton.
    Quite a lot I would say, but sadly politicians have no interest in history, only money

The reason the subject of the team moving again has come about is the repair of the runway.
    What does that need?
    Money!!

It will come to be that Scampton will pass into history, along side so many famous, & historically important airfields, that now reside under concrete & tarmac, or rows of oilseed rape.

I dont want to sound defeatist, but I fear that will be the end result, I dearly hope I am proved wrong...

With regard to airframes running out of hours, I have it on very good authority, that tucked away in some dim & distant hangar, are a dozen, low hours airframes, that will be bought back on line, as, & when the team requires them.

DF

Is it not possible to book a tour of Scampton, of certain areas ? Somedody once told me to call a guy called Merv (something or other). I thought he wasn't quite serious, so didn't take much notice.

Scampton's museum was created in Aug 1993 and is based in the Station Headquarters. It is run on a voluntary basis and no admission is charged. Tours of the Museum and Station take place throughout the year, normally at weekends

Open: weekends by appointment only

Admission: Free with donation

Tel.: 01522 879137

Thre is also the Heritage Centre located in Scampton village it holds a large photographic collection relating to the famous dams raid and RAF Scampton in 1943. There are also original letters from Guy Gibson and other Dambusters memorabilia on display.

Open: Year round Mon-Sat 0900-1700, Sun 1000-1500.

Admission: Free

Tel.: 01522 731333

Info from http://raf-lincolnshire.info/scampton/s ... orials.htm

That tour of Scampton is well worth arranging.
    I went in 2006, 2 days after the reds flew their first nine-ship of the year, so was treated to a display as we were walking round the airfield.
    This was obviously before the tour became weekend only, so quite lucky .
    Anyway, I reported to the main gate, & you need to take some form of photo ID.
    The guy at the gate said merv would be along shortly, & with that the "dambusters" theme filled the air. It was Merv's ringtone!!

You walk round the perimeter of the airfield, (inside of course!), & he tells you all about the buildings, their use, when they were built, etc.
    Fascinating!!
    Walked round to the flightline, & had a chance to see niggers grave, but as merv will tell you, legend has it that the dog is not buried there at all!
    Watched the reds break to land, land , then taxi in.
    Merv suggested we went in somewhere warm (it was february!) & he took me into the reds hangar!!

Got up close & personal with one of the hawks undergoing maintenance, & got some pics that I will post later.

After managing to drag me out of there, we went to the museum, again full of great stuff, but wont spoil it for you

The tour concluded on the spot in the dambusters film where micheal redgrave rushes up & asks richard todd if it is true about the losses on the raid.

In conclusion, one of the best days I've had in a long time, & I thoroughly recommend it
    TTFN
    Andy

Afraid I don't know Noel, but I know he has done weekday tours before. I keep meaning to go myself, but after 4 years of living this close I still havn't made it.

I was planning to do a works staff visit with my current 'employer' as part of the force development training, but would love to meet up there with you and the guys if you decided to come across. Let me know if you arrange anything or get any information before me!

I am pretty sure they are weekend visits only.

Mind you, if you check on the reds website, for their 2008 display dates, you might be able to time it so you are there on a day when they are displaying.

The team will always try to fly from, & return to scampton when displaying, & I did see them depart for france last year, & return the same day, so you have a pretty good chance of seeing the team at scampton.

As I said in my previous post, you really should make the effort to go, it is a great day out

TTFN,
    Andy.

Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information