Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Scampton

Default Re: Scampton

I dread to think how much it would cost to move all the infrastructure from Waddington to Scampton. Then there would be the problem during the winter of up to 6 arrows display practices.

Default Scamptons Gate Guard 1986

Default Re: Scamptons Gate Guard 1986

I visited Scampton in 1973. What was on the gate then? I did have some photos but after suffering a motorcycle accident the next day I lost the contents of that cartridge.

What's happening at Scampton? There is a thread on Key forums saying it looks like the Ops block is being demolished soon??

I was at Scampton yesterday for the Station Museum Open Day (recommend it!). I did not notice the Ops Block specifically because it was blowing a gale, pouring with rain and sleeting and I had my head down. I did notice that a number of buildings are having maintenance carries out, including No 1 Hangar, SHQ and the Stand-by set building. The work on the hangars seemed to be on the external walls, that on SHQ and the stand-by set being on the roof. The door tracks of the hangars were also fenced off but I could not figure out what works were to be undertaken. There also seemed to be work in progress on the T2 hangar cladding.

Was surprised to encounter a Tornado fuselage in No 1 Hangar (ZA371).

Hawkeye001

Old CFS being demolished due to the asbestos in the building.

HawkEye001

Hawkeye001

The moving of the Reds has been put back a year and is under review again as the cost of moving them has been set at 48 million pounds.

HawkEye001

Hawkeye001

Well im inclined to agree with you there and im also inclined to thibk that there is more in store for Scampton in the next few years.

One thing that did make me laugh was that when it was announced that Scampton was going to be a super base and then changed their minds because of the cost of 55 million over 10 years to do up the base and then they moved everything to Leeming at a cost of 110 million, well the thinking behind that is somewhat flawed dont you think?

Again i dont think Scampton is finished and there will be alot more going on in the next few years.

And for those that have not seen the Ops block or the old CFS building one of the same with the fencing around it i will post one for you to see as i was at the open day on both days.
    And some of the hangars with fencing around them

Enjoy !!!

HawkEye001

Demolishon going on at Scampton this weekend, including the ops block.
    Thread and pictures on KFs here http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88914

Hello,
    I have been pointed in this direction by someone on the key publishing forum over some photos I posted of the on going demolition works at Scampton. I hope they are of some interest to you.

My personal view (for what it's worth) is that the future of Scampton is far from over. I still believe that the Red's will remain there at least for the foreseeable future. i cant se the logic in moving 9 old hawks to Waddington while 3 brand new Astors sit outside in the rain! It was always my understanding that the decision to move the Reds was the wish of one man only, that being the man at he top. I understand that he moves on in a matter of weeks, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a u turn shortly after. only time will tell on that one.

It is strange at Scampton... Buildings like the old Ops Block are being knocked down, yet hangars are being refurbished (maybe it's only an external face lift, but either way, they're spending money.

I had no idea that this thread existed until a few moments ago, however now I know about it, I shall keep you updated with any more demolition works that I hear about.

Hope the photos are of interest.

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information