Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elsham Wolds

Hawkeye001

Default Elsham Wolds

Is there a book about any hauntings on this airfield and if so where would i obtain one and how much or any book thats gives the history of this airfield that was wriiten purely for this ww2 bomber base?Regards HawkEye001

Default Re: Raf Elsham Wold

Best bet is to contact the local paprer for this area and find a local historian!

Default ELSHAM WOLDS pic

I have wanted to photograph this place since I saw a picture of it in the first Lancaster at War book and still I wish I had got there before the A15 did. Got the tower in though.

neg copies again.

Default Re: ELSHAM WOLDS pic

No Moon Tonight by Don Charlwood is writen about RAF Elsham Wolds. A very good book.ISBN0 907579 97 3.

Had a look at the Elsham ORBs in TNA on a recent visit. I was interested in the GCA tests carried out with Bomber Command c.July 1943. (The equipment worked but was too slow for a squadron of returning Lancs).
    There are two ORBs - one covering 1941-45, and the other was the Appendices (similar dates). The ORB itself was very boring and produced nothing relating to GCA.
    Very often, however, ORB Appendices are much more fruitful - providing detailed information regarding specific incidents at the station. The Elsham one was excellent to the summer of 1942. There is then an 18 month gap and its gets good again from January 1944 onwards. There is not a single entry for this missing period. Very disappointing, and have no idea of the reason.

Graham

Change of Adjutant I guess who like everyone else on the planet was not the slightest bit interested in GCA - yawn!

Default Re: Elsham Wolds

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye001
    Is there a book about any hauntings on this airfield and if so where would i obtain one and how much or any book thats gives the history of this airfield that was wriiten purely for this ww2 bomber base?Regards HawkEye001
    Bit of a belated reply, but the "Ghost Stations" series of books by Bruce Barrymore Halpenny have a few stories about the old place.

I was reading through some of the "Story"s of Ghosts , and things that go bump in the night. I try to keep an open mind , only after reading through "Ghost sighting" at Kirmington, my own experience is slightly different , but at Elsham Wolds.
    About four years ago , I decided to visit Elsham Wolds airfield, I left the M180 motorway at Juntion 5, and headed towards Elsham Village, as I approached a Cross roads, I had to stop and decide which way to go. The crossroads was very heavly Wooded, and over hanging trees , made it all very dark. the lane was Narrow, and having a 4x4 , I had to park up close to a granite Stone. I was making my mind up ,on which way to go, when a small green van, came from my left , and drove up the hill. I decided that was the way to go, so I followed, steep hill , found Elsham wolds , ect ect.
    Then about six months later, I drove up from Hampshire to visit Elsham & Kirmington, I decided to visit Elsham , drove down to the cross roads, went over , , as I was looking for a "Dark" close cross roads, but then as I approached the end of Village, "NO Dark Cross roads! !", I panicked ! drove back to the point, found the Granite Stone,which I had parked before, but this time the Cross roadswas very wide , and no over hanging trees !, My heart went to my mouth, Infact I had to use my Asthma stick, to settle down, I made enquries , but no luck, verdict was the crossing had always been Wide. I give my utmost word what I saw , Infact , I still get flash backs , and as a HGV driver, I know what I saw, the width of the lane was double to what I first saw. perhaps you might have some idea what I saw. Ive never been able to put that to bed, or make any sence out of a heavy wooded area , with narrow cart tracks, then wide lane layout the next. I spoke to the Lincolnshire county council, to try and find out what I may or may not of saw . Riskey

taken in the mid 70s before the place was decimated!!

over elsham wolds,1945.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information