Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Goxhill

Default Article in the Online magazine Pathfinder..

Any idea what building this article refers too?

'A North Lincolnshire building of international importance - in a location visited by United States war hero and future President Dwight D Eisenhower - is to lift off into a new era as a "des res" of interest to military historians.

North Lincolnshire Council's planning committee, meeting in Scunthorpe, has granted permission for the one-time Squadron Offices and Crew Briefing Room on Goxhill airfield to be converted into a dwelling with workshop.

Council planning staff described the building, on Chapelfield, as being of immense historical importance locally, nationally and internationally and suggested it "clearly should be retained."

Councillors were advised: "Goxhill airfield was the first English airfield taken over by the United States Army Airforce in World War Two and photographs submitted with the application show American crews using the squadron offices and crew briefing room/mess room facilities around 1944."

When the USAAF took over Goxhill from the RAF in 1942, the ceremony was overseen by Five Star General Dwight D Eisenhower, Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in Europe, and later the 34th President of the United States.

Despite the site being disposed of by the Ministry of Defence almost half-a-century ago for agricultural use and storage, the building is described as being in a well-preserved state.

It is now within about 10 acres of woodland, planted in 1992/93.

Council planning staff suggest: "Conversion into a dwelling would preserve the building for future generations as a very important heritage asset."

Goxhill Parish Council objected to the granting of planning permission, suggesting the site is outside the development boundary and that the proposed use of the building is not a viable business essential to agriculture or forestry.

But council planning staff said the application "complies with all the policies and would preserve a historically important building and should be supported."

David Ettridge, of Ettridge Architecture Ltd, working on the scheme for JW Faulding & Sons, Goxhill, said general features of architectural merit, historical interest, under-utilisation of the property, the location and the potential for a development retaining the site's character "all lend themselves to a tasteful conversion for residential use, with workshop facilities linked to the site forestry."

Source: http://www.pathfinderonline.co.uk/ar...-by-eisenhower

Default Re: Article in the Online magazine Pathfinder..

Looks to be this one: http://www.planning.northlincs.gov.u...o=PA/2011/0960

Sadly the Pathfinderonline/HMVF domains have been unavailable for me to view for a couple of days now.

Northern Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage information board at Goxhill.

Goxhill BHQ 001R.jpgGoxhill BHQ 002R.jpgGoxhill BHQ 003R.jpgGoxhill BHQ 005R.jpgGoxhill BHQ 006R.jpgGoxhill BHQ 004R.jpg
    A wee treat for Tigger - ! Some photos of the BHQ @ Goxhill taken in November, 1996. They show the modified OP, inside and outside shots, plus the very narrow catwalk for the observers. We were told by our guide that the OP had been modified to serve as a defence post. As my pals and I reckoned that we would rather not have been the ones firing any sort of weapon from such a narrow walkway, we agreed among ourselves that this assumption was incorrect - ! Also, a plan of the BHQ and a view of the sump & pump arrangement under the main stairs. The BHQ is @ TA.108207, but I'm sure that it is on private land. With the reverence that our guide was showing for the place, I'm pretty sure that it will still be intact.

tigger

Quote Originally Posted by SimonGee View Post
    A wee treat for Tigger - !
    Thanks Simon

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by P Bellamy View Post
    The December 2008 issue of 8th AF News has a short item on the tower.

Here's a couple of links to the museum and the collection:
    The Military Aviation Museum
    The Fighter Factory

The museum's current newsletter has this to say about the tower:

All the best,
    PB
    I received an email from Jerry last night. The German Cottbuss hangar is nearing completion and the museum intends to begin work on the Goxhill control tower this fall.

Default Re: Goxhill

Some photos that Rob Davis TELFORD kindly allowed me to put on the forum.
    http://www.panoramio.com/user/162107

Watch Office 1984

J and T2 Hangars from Watch Office roof 1984

I went back to Goxhill recently and I couldn't see these buildings that (I think) stood in the field across Horsegate Field Rd from the memorial here:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.68....8&r=0&src=msa

Can anybody tell me what the buildings were please?

Also could anybody point me in the direction of a site plan please.
    Your help is appreciated.

Took these that I thought might be worth posting while I was there:

Cheers
    Al

Pretty sure that the building was part of the transmit/receive site as i beleive that the base of the aerial was within the three side of the brick enclosure . . . .

Thanks AM, wish I'd had a better look while they were still there.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information