Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirton-in-Lindsey

Default Re: Kirton in Lindsey Sgts Mess

The Sgts Mess has never been used since the Army moved out in the early 2000's era. The RAF never had need to use it when they returned in 2005ish.
    The Junior Ranks mess at Kirton became a Combined mess for all rank apart from Officers.

The Sergeant and Warrant Officers mess was never used simply because the SNCO's mess at Scampton was used,and like wise the Officers Mess wasn't used at Scampton,but Kirton's was.Problems soon became apparent when the transfer of TCW from Brize was scuppered,which left Scampton hanging by a thread.Daily buses where used and still are,just to ferry personnel from Kirton to Scampton,they used to go via Hemswell,but now that the last of the quarters have been disposed of it really does look like the keys are gonna get returned to the guardroom,one last time...for good!!

I was told yesterday that Kirton's unit, 1ACC, will move to Scampton next month. The site will be used for junior ranks and officer accomodation until April next year when the base will close and be put up for sale. The RAF are going to retain the officers' mess, as a combined mess for officers and SNCOs but everthing else will go to Scampton pending its closure in 2014.

These are some pictures I took when I visited in October.

Our hist referred to this as Hanger 2. This in an airside view. The hanger hasn't been used since the Royal Artillary marched out, there was still a sign on one of the internal doors announcing the BQMS (Battery Quartermaster Sergeant) stores.

This hanger, an airside view again, was still in the use by the RAF in October but should have been emptied by now.

No need to explain what this building is. Unfortunately, we couldn't get around the front. It hasn't been used for awhile and is very shabby.

THis is inside of the old control room. I've no idea why it ended up that colour.

Like many others, including authors of airfield books, I always thought the current airfield at Kirton was developed from the WW1 RFC site. Thats not the case however, the RFC "Kirton in Lindsey" was about 3 miles north of the current airfield just outside a village called Manton. It was often referred to as Manton Aerodrome.

Hawkeye001

Default Re: Army Moving Back In?

I can confirm that Kirton is now shut.

Went past the main gates at about 4pm today. Gates locked and base starting to look a bit overgrown. I did notice a number of skips on the base presumably being used for building clearance

Is this a Pickett Hamilton fort? It's now overgrown with grass but yesterday i noticed the circle and when stood on it it seemed the right dimensions.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...02626&t=h&z=19

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

The diameter measured in GE is over 25 feet so, I doubt that it is a PH.

It's certainly less than 25 feet in diameter when at ground level. I had a push around with my feet but the grass was too thick to uncover anything, only when i later looked on GE did i come across the concrete circle.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information