Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boxted

Hybrid View

Default Boxted

Interesting contemporary footage of Boxted airfield.

Went to Boxted yesterday and took these photos

Memorial situated on main runway

Runway lights on memorial

Light bases upside down behind memorial

This is the remains of the runway

Perimeter Track

Jason

Great photos there mate, a fantastic memorial that. I believe REF is down that way today so I've no doubt we'll see his offerings later!

Great pictures of the memorial.

Unfortunately there is a problem (he says putting his anorak on).

Something not quite right about the runway light. In late 1944 Boxted was on the Air Ministry's list as 'Contact Lighting Definitely Required'. This should mean that it didn't have it, as there are other categories including, 'Complete and Working', and 'WIP'.

The overhead in 'UK Airfields of the Ninth, Then and Now' clearly shows newly installed lighting on Boxted's main runway as at 4 Sept 1943. OK the Air Ministry got it wrong.

However the lighting units should be C3s (post 1942 style), either Chance or GEC manufactured, and have the appropriate wording, e.g. 'The General Electric Co Ltd - London' in large letters cast into the casing.

This particular unit looks more like a C1 Chance unit which was obsolete by 1940. It carried no inscriptions. (During 1940 and 1941 an intermediate star-shaped runway unit was used, the C2 - these are reasonably common).

It is also rare to find any contact fitting with the glass still intact.

Another mystery to make life interesting (anorak off)

must admit I was suprised too by those Stone Age light fittings, wonder where they came from?

Not knowing anything about this particular subject can you tell me if the concrete bases are of the period.

Default Re: RAF Boxted Airfield (Langham Moor)

Speaking from Langham I can assure you that the concrete bases are from the airfield and were removed when the runways were dug up. Three of them are used on the new Memorial. I notice a comment about it being rare to find a base with the light fitting and when the original Monument was built in 1992 a local man managed to find somewhere, I think on the south coast, where there were some fittings. So the bases are from Langham but the lamp fittings are not.

In answer to another point the rest of the bases are not intended to be anything to do with the site. I think that they were simply placed there when the runways were grubbed up to get them out of the way.

This morning, being Remembrance Sunday, we held a wreath-laying ceremony there. The Union flag and the Stars and Stripes were flying from the flag poles, which adds to the appearance. There was also a bugler to mark the beginning and end of the two minute silence.

Hi Jason,

The concrete bases are interesting in that I haven't seen anything like them before.

Llandow also had C3 Contact lights, and there are some bases near the end of its main runway. They are cubes, clearly consuming much more concrete than those at Boxted.

Each contact light was connected to a transformer. In early systems these were in a separate pit adjacent to the light. (Yet more concrete required).

Those at Silloth (C2 Star fittings) simply dangled below each cast-iron fitting. I'm not convinced that there is enough space for that in the Boxted photos, but I could easily be wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information