Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bardney

Default Bardney

From May 91

Default Re: BARDNEY pics

Nice pics! Will have to Google it to see whats left now!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    Nice pics! Will have to Google it to see whats left now!
    The tech site is not too bad. A local model aero club use the tower (the signals square is still extant). The T.2 and B.1 aren't in bad nick and few other as yet (to me anyway!) unidentified buildings remain.

If you know which bits of woodland to crash through, the dilapidated remains of the SSQ can be found, as can the ops block (in Ossie's first photo, there is a thing which looks like a pond on the tech site. Just below it, you can see a footpath going off to the right in the woods, the ops block is down here - horrible to photograph though!) and bomb dump. Not much really left of anything else apart from the a few hut bases and a mix of Stanton and blast shelters. The memorial in Bardney village is worth a look (as is the butcher's shop nearby - belting hot roast pork butties!).

Chris

Default Tower Query - Bardney

Hi all,

Just going through the top copies of my photos and notice that I may have the tower at Bardney incorrectly captioned on my website (nothing new there then!). On the Control Towers site, it is describes as the following: Watch Office for Bomber Satellite and OTU Satellite Stations 13726/41

Yet the site plan gives it as 7345/41

Which is correct?

Chris

Default Re: Tower Query - Bardney

That is because there were two watch offices, the first to drawing 7345/41 and its replacement 13726/41. This is prob due to a runway extension and the original WO being in a .... viewing position, it was nothing personal against the old WO, but if yer in the wrong place mate, you have gotter go!.

Ah-ha! Cheers NP. I'll use the latter when I re-caption it. Just catching up on cock-ups for the old archive. See you next spring then.....................

Chris

Looking at the site plan, the watch office hasn't changed position. Do we have a photo of the 7345/41 watch office anywhere that can be used for comparrison?

Quote Originally Posted by norwichpaul
    That is because there were two watch offices, the first to drawing 7345/41 and its replacement 13726/41. This is prob due to a runway extension and the original WO being in a .... viewing position, it was nothing personal against the old WO, but if yer in the wrong place mate, you have gotter go!.
    I didn't think Bardney had any runway extensions. I was opened in 1943 so should have beed up to the latest Class A standards.
    Could it be a change of plan before building work started?

Well it could be that originally, 7345/41 was planned but during runway construction, came the upgrade to 13726/41.

More pics, this time from Mar 94.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information