Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: FIDO

Default Re: FIDO

You can make out where the FIDO crossed the runway at Sturgate from this aerial I took in February. A ground visit may be in order to see if there is actually anything there.

Default Re: FIDO

Ah, so that's what you were talking about then. I didn't get that shot I don't think. Be interesting to see it from ground level now.

Chris

Default Re: FIDO. The true meaning?

HI.
    New member barry jameson from lindholme doncaster , my dad was in B,Command in ww11, he told me abt this when I was a small child. he always called it, FIDO, with the wording intensive, always remember this cos i had no idea what he was on abt !!

Default FIDO installations

Twenty-five sited were listed as locations for possible FIDO installations, from Station I (Staines experimental) to Station XXV (Epinoy). Clearly not all were taken up. Does anyone know the names of Stations XVIII, XXIII and XXIV? (Needed for a future AR article).

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: FIDO installations

That's Numbers 18, 23 and 24 for the non Latin speakers

I had the opportunity to ask a panel of Bomber Command veterans at Elvington last year about FIDO.

I asked what their experience of it was. One ex-pilot said that it was like a normal landing, a bit more bumpy, and that the technique was to approach 10-15kts faster than normal

It wasn't clear wether this was based on personal experience, or simply the training/advice given at the time

kevin

tigger

Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby View Post
    Twenty-five sited were listed as locations for possible FIDO installations
    Source? I've never found a definitive source that says there were twenty-five, just an inference because one was numbered XXV

Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby View Post
    Does anyone know the names of Stations XVIII, XXIII and XXIV? (Needed for a future AR article).
    Were 23 and 24 actually allocated?

How many mobile units were there? Could these have had the 'missing' numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Source? I've never found a definitive source that says there were twenty-five, just an inference because one was numbered XXV

Were 23 and 24 actually allocated?
    Possibly not, though it seems a bit unlikely that they jumped from 22 (Tuddenham) to 25 (Epinoy). The others (18 excepted) are all in 'Williams'. I note that there are approx 150 aviation fog dispersal related documents in TNA. Which one has the answer?

8th AF, 1st Air Division daily records, 14th April 1945:

It was announced that "Fido" marker burners were to be installed at all stations of the First Division.

That's interesting. Hard to imagine the intention was ever carried out though. By the 3rd week of May, the Bomber Groups had started moving out and by mid-July the 8th AF was re-established on Okinawa

the Bomber Groups had started moving back to the US and on July 16th, the 8th Air Force was re-established on Okinawa
    Last edited by Richard Flagg; 18-09-2012 at 21:04.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information