Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dishforth

Default Re: Identification required

Thanks Rich, here's another showing the interior of the VCR. It was the VCR I was modeling rather than the rest of the model.

Also updated the prewar layout in the above post adding info Carnaby sent me, thanks. Still some guesswork in there as well though.

Last edited by Stevo; 07-02-2012 at 14:44.

Default Re: Identification required

I've just done a quick 3d model placement in Flight Simulator X to show what the Watch Office area may have looked like at Dishforth. (models are taken from my on going West Raynham project) The type of Watch Office I've used 207/36 which also has the 4698/43 addition (tower removed and control room added) may not have been how it was but you get the idea. I also dont know if there was a night flying equipment store in that position either.

Stevo

Default Re: Dishforth

That looks better with a more appropriate watch office

Last edited by Stevo; 07-02-2012 at 22:44.

I really liked the pictures of what Dishforth might have looked like, I'd often wondered where ther original control tower was when I served there.
    A couple of questions have sprung to mind, if anybody can help.
    - Is Dishforth still used as an RLG now that Linton's operations are scaled down?
    -Pooley's says that Dishforth has no runway lighting. I remember it been there, when was it removed?
    - Does the RAF still provide ATC and crash cover for the airfield?
    Thanks very much.

yeah they still use it for bump and runs as there not aloud to land for some reason.
    there are some runway lights left not many as our beloved tractor driver has flattened alot of them and there disconnected from mains now. all that works is the PAPI`S
    And there raf still does cover the atc as controllers and assisants come from linton every day to work.
    As for crash cover they are there for the lynxs. not like they do anything lol. part appear at 1150 to go hub for there lunch

thanks rich

Ah Dishforth

I only know Dishforth as a sattelite to Linton around 1988-1989, just before I was posted to 4 Regt AAC at Detmold.

The hanger nearest to the bomb dump had a section boxed off to allow the holding of one or possibly 2 Jet provosts.

This was presumably in case one threw a hissy fit, or they got a bird strike and the jet had to be secured.

The other end (well, most of it really) was used by The Cleveland Gliding Club under the RAFGSA where I learned to glide and spent many a happy/drunken weekend.

I remember having to land a glider on the cricket pitch (as part of my field landing training) and between a row of caravans behind that hanger....we only did that the once and the instructor (Al Fox) was a bit concerned how tight it was

Most of the rest of the airfield was derelict or unused so 9 regt moving in probably did it some good in some ways.

The place was reputed to be haunted (aint they all), but by Roman soldiers. I never saw anything myself, but given the amount we used to drink sightings of pink elephants with chainsaws would not surprise me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    I only know Dishforth as a sattelite to Linton around 1988-1989, just before I was posted to 4 Regt AAC at Detmold.
    I went the other way in '92

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    The place was reputed to be haunted (aint they all), but by Roman soldiers.
    The original route of Dere Street ran past the Guardroom. It also ran past the MQ patch, so strange skirted manifestations may have been something other than Romans.

Quote Originally Posted by canberra View Post
    Dishforth was used by the police as a regional training centre.
    We had to clear a loud of police paperwork detritus out of a couple of the accomodation blocks when 9 Regiment moved in. I know a couple of guys locally who speak "fondly" of their police recruit training at Dishforth, I got the impression the training wasn't as fluffy as it is now and the parade square was very windy!

Guys, these aint up to much as they are scanned and quite old, but they would date from say 1987-9

20110426_281.jpg

A shot of the north (?) most hanger, it was used by the RAFGSA which at the time I think were the only occupants. We had an old diesel powered, towed bowser for the chipmunks, should have taken a piccy I guess

20110429_261.jpg

An RAFGSA ASK13 on finals during a field landing practice (Altimeter covered and you had to land between the 2 peri tracks...they made it progressively harder.

I think the middle hanger occasionally housed poorly JPs from Linton, but later they definately sectioned our one.

20110429_276.jpg

The glider hanger with the TKTTF parked up.

We got it from Linton dirt cheap as it was being diposed off. It was smoking a lot, but they had spent "X" ammount so off it went.

I just got a set of reconditioned injectors from the base workshops at strensall and took the old ones back and she ran fine.

been there today to prepare for some work and the piano keys and center line on both runways have been remarked aswell as the numbers which haved changed on the short runway from 28/10 to 27/09
    Didnt get to mian runway yet

thanks rich

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information