Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: North Creake

Default Re: North Creake Murel In Situ and Hendon

A Bellan is another temporary type and is not the same as a B1 hangar.

As for whats left, there are a few buildings both sides of the road on the tech site and a few buildings left on the dispersed sites. Alot hidden in the woods to the east of the airfield.

Hua Hin, Thailand (resident) ex RAF Armourer 1956 - 1970

Default Re: North Creake Murel In Situ and Hendon

I note that the Defence of Britain Database shows that a Bombing Decoy was located at Grid Reference: TF896392. That puts it right on top of the HE Bomb Stores

Default Pillboxes at Egmere

Last month I spent an afternoon looking round North Creake and came across a variety of buildings and structures. I'll cover what I found in separate posts but to start with there is a group of three pillboxes at the Egmere cross-roads just to the South East of the airfield. I'd guess these were part of the airfield defences but somone can probably confirm or deny this.
    The first one is very easy to spot as it is right next the B1105 just North of the cross-roads

Egmere-PillBox-1.jpg

The second one is at the point of a small triangular wood to the right of the B1105
    Egmere-PillBox-2.jpg

The GE overlay of home defences suggests there are also two spigot mortar emplacements at this location but I could see no sign of them. The third pillbox is just past the cottages to the left of the cross-roads. This one is very over grown so you can only just make it out in the photograph
    Egmere-PillBox-3.jpg

Default North Creake - Identified Buildings

There are a good few buildings on the technical site at North Creake which are clearly visible from the B1105 Fakenhan to Wells road and these are reasonably well know. I decided to have a look at some of the other areas around the old airfield and came across a variety of buildings. Thanks to the assistance of REF I think I now know what most of them were but there are a few question-marks which I'll come on to in another post.

Getting back to what I think has been identified I'll start off in a wood east of the airfield.

Stanby Set House :

Standby Set House.jpg

Two separate water towers / boiler houses which I assume served bath houses / shower blocks :

Water Tower - Boiler House.jpg Water Tower - Boiler House (2).jpg Boilier House Interior.jpg

Just a point about both these structures - they seem in quite a precarious state and obviously contain pipes covered in asbestos lagging which is crumbling. In view of this I made no attempt to enter the buildings and I'd stongly urge anyone else that ever finds them to keep out. (The interior picture was taken from some distance and I've cropped the image)

In the same wood there is the cinema projection extension to what I take to have been a large dining hall, the base of which is still there.

Cinema Projection House Extension.jpg

Tere are other foundations / floors remaining in the woods and I'm pretty sure there are other building remains but the amount of undergrowth prevented further exploration.

Moving further north are a couple of buildings out in the open which I believe were the institute - or part of it.

Institute.jpg

Default North Creake - Unidentified Buildings

Now I come on to the buildings that I'm not sure what they are / were.

About 200m north of the institute is a group of four smallish huts. Three are close together side by site and the fourth is slightly separate. They all seem to be identical and have a small door in the middle of each end. There is a large, almost square, room at one end and two small rectangular rooms separated by a central passage at the other end. One external door opens directly into the large room and the other external door opens into the passage between the two small rooms. Each building has a single stove chimney (at least thats what it looks like) in the roof.

Buildings North of Institute.jpg Building North of Institute.jpg

It has been suggested these might be latrines but I was thinking something like produce stores or small workshops. I'd appreciate any other thoughts or ideas.

Moving to a completely different area - a wood on the south side of the airfield next to the remaining spectacle dispersal - I came across a group of at least 7 identical small buildings. Each is about 5 feet high - too low to stand up in - rectangular in shape, has a flat roof and a door opening front and back (in the long side). There is a half height brick wall running the length of each building on one side only. There is also evidence that there were once heavy metal hinges for some sort of door or gate on each opening in the buildings.

Small Building - North Creake.jpg Small Building - North Creake-(2).jpg

The suggestion I have for these structures is that they were small arms / ammunition stores or possibly for pyrotechnics. That said why so many (7) in close proximity to each other and so near the peri-track / dispersals ? Alternatively are they something else ? Again ideas and thoughts welcome.

Default Re: North Creake - Unidentified Buildings

Shadow1, - Post 22 Part 2 - the seven low structures are permanent brick and are more likely to be ammunition lock-ups for airfield defence gun posts.

Are they in that little wood directly next to the dispersal or the other wood section directly north of the farm?

There are also 2 more structures as well as numerous bases in the woods to the EAST of the Wells-Fakenham "dry-road".
    If you turn left (from Wells) on the road AFTER the first hangar on the left, they are in the trees a few hundred yards on the right.

Does anyone have an Air Ministry drawing of this airfield to share?

#23 Peter these structures are in the wood just to the north west of and adjacent to the farm. Almost exactly at OS Ref 9003800. The tracks through the wood are in the shape of a cross and the structures are in the south west quadrant if that makes sense.

There are also 2 more structures as well as numerous bases in the woods to the EAST of the Wells-Fakenham "dry-road".
    DJ OSKA - I think we are in the same wood The buildings I mentioned in post #21 are in a wood east of the B1105 and north of the road to Walsingham. I entered the wood from the south along the concrete track leading from the Walsingham road but if I read your directions correctly you would enter the same wood but from the north. Apologies if I've misunderstood which wood (Can't see the wood for the trees )

There are buildings in another wood which is right beside the eastern side of the B1105 where it runs through the industrial estate that was the technical site but as far as I can tell these are all modern constructions albeit on the bases of wartime buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    #23 Peter these structures are in the wood just to the north west of and adjacent to the farm. Almost exactly at OS Ref 9003800. The tracks through the wood are in the shape of a cross and the structures are in the south west quadrant if that makes sense.

The wood has grown a bit. This is the 1946 view:

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information